IGNORED

ct recommendations on 06 rsv--

Guest blackg0d

Guest blackg0d

*new to forum*

all- i have run cts on several of my cruisers over the years (especially in the sw and nw states). however, i converted to the rsv a few years ago and hesitated to run a ct on it as i also relocated to north ga at the time. however, much of my riding is multi-state and i log heavy interstate useage in varied weather. i have been blowing through several sets every year and i also miss the 'stability' i enjoyed in inclement weather (imho).

so here it is, i have been reading posts and talking to a few bros riding wings and baggers w/ cts, but i have not had much direct feedback on the late year rsvs...

please share.

blessings,

tr0tt

There are only 2 confirmed tires that fit.

BFG T/A Radial 155/80R15

Federal SS657 165/80R15

I mounted my BFG up with no problems. Pegscraper reported that a buddy of his had a Federal blow up while it was airing up, but apparently the tire dude walked away from the tire with while it was airing up.

I like the profile of the Federal better then the BFG based on looks.

Wild Hair is running a BFG on his Voyager and has over 15,000 miles on his tire.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19927&d=1216818498

My tire has more wear and significantly less miles, but I like to slide the rear tire with the rear brake and do burnouts. :mo money:

You don't walk away from a tire that is airing up to seat the beads. What did the guy expect? What a moron. (The guy who was installing the tire, that is, not my friend.) That will happen with any tire if you put the air to it and walk away like that, and the fact that it was a CT had nothing to do with it.

There is also a guy now who has installed a Nexen 165/80R15. At the moment he has less than 100 miles on it yet, so no real report on the tire. I've never heard of that brand. There is not much to pick from in this size.

I have a couple thousand on my Federal by now. Still liking it as well as ever. My wife sure likes the ride better too. Even as just a passenger, she says that the ride is softer and more stable. I'm looking forward to not buying another rear tire next year.

*new to forum*

all- i have run cts on several of my cruisers over the years (especially in the sw and nw states). however, i converted to the rsv a few years ago and hesitated to run a ct on it as i also relocated to north ga at the time. however, much of my riding is multi-state and i log heavy interstate useage in varied weather. i have been blowing through several sets every year and i also miss the 'stability' i enjoyed in inclement weather (imho).

so here it is, i have been reading posts and talking to a few bros riding wings and baggers w/ cts, but i have not had much direct feedback on the late year rsvs...

please share.

blessings,

tr0tt

Just got back from my road test after instaling A BFG T/A radial 155 R15 this afternoon.

Did about 100 miles, sure like it so far, especialy the ride. Sure glad I took time to grease the drive shaft, splines, drive pins,etc. don't plan on taking the backend apart for a long time.

Will have a better idea about it after I get back from PIP at the end of the mounth Good luck ,Bigbob

There are a couple other tires that would almost certainly fit, but to date no one has tried them yet. There are a couple models of Kumho in the 165/80R15 size, and there is a Vredestein Sprint Classic 165HR15. The tires mentioned in this thread are literally all the ones we know of that will fit this bike. This bike requires a very narrow CT to clear the swing arm on the left side, and there just isn't much to pick from.

Guest blackg0d

thanks thus far for the info. i should be making the call by weekend to travel that lonely dark road again (or not). below is the tire that seems to be the better 'tested' one. i ran an oversized bfg on my vtx1800 for quite a while. i sold that bike w/ about 170000 miles and nearly 130000 of that was on 2 bfg tires.

2 added questions for the group:

• have yall had to adjust (parts or front tire) to allow for the lower ride - it seems that this will drop the overall height near an inch. i ride heavy so just asking.
  • i went a eyed the sidewalls on this specific tire and i feel that they are even improved on some of the ones i have run prior. i do not run the twisties like the sport guys, but i do live in north ga and the twisties abound. any added feedback on the contact patch performance on this tire?

Size:P155/80R15 83S Sidewall:RWL MSPN:86745

• Wide profile styling for modern muscle.
  • Classic look with modern technology.
  • North America’s first performance radial tire.
  • High performance with low noise levels
  • Exceptional wet traction and control while maintaining dry traction; long, even wear
  • Genuine all-season traction and confident performance
  • T- and S-speed rated; capable of speeds up to 118 mph (T-rated) and 112 mph (S-rated)†

blessings,

tr0tt

Yes, it lowered the rear of the bike about 1/2 inch. You can raise the rear end of the bike with a set of links. You can either buy them from Diamond R for around 80 bux, or make them yourself out of some 1/4" thick flat strap for about 5 bux.

I can drag my floorboards and mufflers with no problems.

The only warning I will give is that these skinny tires take time to break in. There have been reports that it takes anywhere from 500 - 1000 miles to scrub the tire in.

I like the looks of the Continetal....

My only concern is the profile...

In comparing a 155/80 to a 155/60 both in 15 inch dia. there are notable differences, that while they may not seem like much...they will make huge differences in more than just tire performance...

See chart below for reference...

The overall diameter changes from 24.76in. to 22.33in., Sidewall height changes from 4.88in to 3.66in, Radius changes from 12.38in to 11.16in, Circumference changes from 77.78in to 70.12, and (really important) Revolutions changes from 840 per mile to 931.8 per mile ( your engine will run at a higher RPM, and probably use more fuel as a result

Don't take me wrong...I like that tire and would love to try it...but you have to look at all aspects of the tires you chose before you change it out...

That size tire will make the bike sit about an inch or so lower at the rear end...which will change the way the front end feels and handles...

Your speedo will become a cool looking ornament, because it will no longer be even close to accurate...

I am running BFG T/A Radial 155/80 and the difference between the 80 and stock or OEM 90 is, I sit a tad lower, and I hear my engine running a bit harder....

I really like the looks of the Cnti in the 60 profile...it would be way cool on a Venture...if only we could find front tires to match the look...

Stock Tire >Search Tires Tire 1 - 155/80R15 >Search Tires Tire 2 - 155/60R15 >Search Tires Section Width: - - Section Width: 6.10 in 155 mm Section Width: 6.10 in 155 mm Rim Diameter: - - Rim Diameter: 15 in 381 mm Rim Diameter: 15 in 381 mm Rim Width Range:

Rim Width Range: 4.5 - 5.5 in Rim Width Range: Unrecognized tire size. Overall Diameter: - - Overall Diameter: 24.76 in 628.90 mm Overall Diameter: 22.32 in 566.92 mm Sidewall Height: - - Sidewall Height: 4.88 in 123.95 mm Sidewall Height: 3.66 in 92.964 mm Radius: - - Radius: 12.38 in 314.45 mm Radius: 11.16 in 283.46 mm Circumference: - - Circumference: 77.78 in 1975.6 mm Circumference: 70.12 in 1781.0 mm Revs per Mile: - Revs per Mile: 840.0 Revs per Mile: 931.8

A 155/60? Wow, that would really be a short tire. It pretty well needs to be an 80. I have enough trouble keeping my mufflers off the ground as it is.

It didn't take me 500 miles to break in the tire, either. It didn't take any longer than any regular MT I have tried.

Guest blackg0d

the bfg 155/80/15 is sitting in the garage now. i picked up locally last night. will hope to have mounted by this evening. poor little thing looked so small and lonely sitting next to all those other tires in the shop. it should feel better when it is rollin'. ha!

thanks for all the replies bros. will post an update later.

blessings,

tr0tt

• 4 weeks later...

After reading many posts i decided to put the bfg on the back of my 00 venture.

I installed it yesterday and put about 100 miles on it today. The bike has a bit of a wiggle to it now. similar to what it feels like if your rear tire was low on air. I am runnig with 45 psi in the tire because it looked like it was low at 35.

1 Is this sensation normal ?

2 Will this go away after the tire gets broken in?

3 What psi is everybody else using?

:banana:

I've been using the BFGoodrich tire for about 1400 miles so far. Before I put the tire on I noticed some wandering when I go over bumps and uneven roads. I had it at Yamaha for an inspection and they didn't find anything. Since I put the BFG tire, I notice the wander or pulling motion even more. Any ideas what could be causing the erratic feeling?

I've been using the BFGoodrich tire for about 1400 miles so far. Before I put the tire on I noticed some wandering when I go over bumps and uneven roads. I had it at Yamaha for an inspection and they didn't find anything. Since I put the BFG tire, I notice the wander or pulling motion even more. Any ideas what could be causing the erratic feeling?

Yep, it's the car tire.:witch_brew: Read my posts here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23909

Just wait until you ride on a Roto-milled surface.:eek: My bike did such a wild dance that I thought we were going to part company. IMHO, a car tire and the RSV are not a good match.

I've been running two up at 33 psi on my BFG tire. I really don't notice the tire squirm, until I ride on the rain grooves in the concrete super-slabs. I just adjust to it. I've had bikes in the past that handled like that before, I remember riding on the first road in California to have rain grooves cut into it. I have around 6000 miles on this tire, and I really don't see any wear on it. But I never measured the tread depth.

I am running the Kumho Powerstar 758 165/80-R15... I have 2000 miles so far... no clearance issues or rubbing... I had a wobble @ 32 Lbs... I boosted air to 40 lbs no wobble... Too early for me to recommend as it's a work in progress and need to put a new front tire to give fair analysis... So far so good

I ran my BFG at 45lbs for the first 1500 miles , but run 32-33lbs now and ride 2 up on every surface you can ride on in Michigan including sand and it handles great..

I get a bit of wobble now and then...especially if I am leaning hard in a rain grooved curve on the super slab pushing 90mph....otherwise the tire tracks pretty normally.

It tries to follow the grooves and ridges somewhat...but you have to remember who's in charge here...I am!

It's only a matter of getting past that fear that you are going to crash and burn in a huge ball of flame.

Once you experience the sensation that you are losing control and get past it at few times. you'll calm down and ride with confidence...

Just don't do anything bone headed like swerving around traffic cones at 100mph or taking 30mph curves at 80mph and you won't have any problem.

Like they say...

Don't bring no trouble, and there won't be no trouble....

Hello I am new to this site. recently bought a 2000 venture.

I have a question that have have not seen asked or answered.

Does the ct affect the gas mileage any on the venture.

I have a valkyrie that I have been running a 205/60/16 on for some time, and it did affect the mileage slightly a couple miles per tank no big deal. But I still was wondering about the venture, it is my daily rider to and from work, because of its great gas mileage. I have order the federal 165/80/16.

On my Valkyrie the uniroyal has 6800 miles on and shows no wear, it still has 11/32 of tread. Will never put a motorcycle tire back on it.

Thanks for having me on your site.

Gregg

Freedom of the road for ALL.:Venture:

Edited by footsie

Welcome to the site Gregg... I think you meant to say 165/80-15 not 16... Mmm Venture and a Valk that's pretty cool... My mileage went way up at first because I was taking it real easy breaking in my Kumho... I have about 2500 miles now and I'm still seeing 3-4 miles better... BTW I can still feel the nubs on the tire..

Hey is your Valk a dresser or stripped?

Welcome Gregg. I'm running the Federal ct on an 06 RSTD. I had hoped that I would get better fuel milage with the ct, but I couldn't tell any difference at all at first.

What has made a tremendous difference is slowing up. I've gone from 42 mpg running 70 & 75 to over 49 mpg running 55 & 60 a couple of times. 47 1/2 to 48 is common now and I never thought that I would see that kind of milage with this bike. Don't see ever going back to a mt now.

Jeff