IGNORED

Motorcycle Security

Owen

How do you guard your scooter from theft?

This is my main method. Nearly three hundred pounds and no sense of humor.

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w337/Owen064/IMG_0410s.jpg

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w337/Owen064/IMG_0399s.jpg

• 2 years later...

After a considerable amount of searching the web I found a passive security system for my Venture. It's from Digital Guard Dawg (www.digitalguarddawg.com) and it involves installing a "smart relay" that senses the presence of a small transmitter carried on your person. The relay detects the presence of the transmitter and turns itself on to allow the bike to start. Without the transmitter the bike will not start even with the key.

I just fininshed installing mine this morning and so far it works as advertized. The transmitter is in a small key fob that must be within ten feet of the bike before the relay can detect it. This system is similar to the one used on newer H-D's.

J&P Cycles has the model for metric cruisers (DGD M1) on clearence right now for $125.00 and at last check they had them in stock. Other venders have them for about 170-190.

If you decide to install one of these on your RSV there is one difference to the install. First thing you have to do is locate the start relay on the RSV. It's on the left side behind the plastic frame cover behind the passenger floorboard. You have to cut the blue wire from the start relay and then connect the yellow wire from the smart relay to the blue wire going to the start button. The red wire from the smart relay then connects to the other end of the blue wire that goes to the start relay of the bike. Then the long red wire from the smart relay goes to the positive terminal of the batter or an 12v source that is hot all the time. The blue wire from the smart relay goes to a good ground. To test the unit just follow the directions included with the system.

LOL, It may sound stupid but I just park by the HD's :whistling: ................ I even left my key in mine, and when we all came out of the restaurant one of the HD's was gone. Poor guy had the steering locked and a alarm on it and they still got it, and with out anyone noticing. :yikes:

Bryan

(Kind of like grabbing the $100 bill, but leaving the diamonds!) :witch_brew:

I have to wonder if anyone has ever actually had a Venture stolen???

Didn't have a Venture stolen, but the first week of March, 1972 I had ridden my 1970 CB 750 Honda from Toledo, OH to Daytona, FL for m'cycle speed week. My buddy was on his Harley 74, we were staying in Kissimee, FL at his sister's place. Long story, short version: they got my Honda which was parked right beside his Harley. Two days after it was gone we went to the police station and asked if there was any news. The desk officer said "They got mine about 6 months ago, haven't found it yet. Forget it, file your insurance claim."

I flew home on a big aluminum bird, Jim rode home alone. I replaced it with a 1971, but it was never quite the same.

:crying:

I have to wonder if anyone has ever actually had a Venture stolen???

Here in Ontario its HD's and crotch rockets that are stolen. High insurance here for HD's for that reason.

Who cares about stealing a Venture unless they really want that cassette player.

:whistling:

It's a wonder someone hasn't made a simple GPS that you hide on the bike. If you carried the information you could contact the provider and they could tell you/police exactly where the bike was currently. Actually, for that matter you could just leave your cell phone on the bike and do the same thing... :detective:

It's a wonder someone hasn't made a simple GPS that you hide on the bike. If you carried the information you could contact the provider and they could tell you/police exactly where the bike was currently. Actually, for that matter you could just leave your cell phone on the bike and do the same thing... :detective:

Anybody know if there is LO JACK for m'cycle?