IGNORED

5 Down

Maritimer

Saturday afternoon, 10 bikes heading to a wedding. My friend was to be the best man. The groom was also in the pack. He and my friend were wearing their Tux under their leather ready to strip and say "I do". Many more were supposed to be riding with them including myself but some circumstances out of my control kept me away that day.

Anyway, coming off Highway 2 (Trans Canada Hwy) they all took a right turn heading towards the church. Coming the opposite way was a cager with his young daughter. Apperently he was taking to her and not paying much attention to the road and his surrounding.

A small curve (if you can even call that) was between the cager and the pack. The car kept going straight through the curve. Nicked the 3rd bike's left mirror and handle bar sending the rider towards the ditch. My buddy was the 4th in line and tried to go around the downed bike but the car never corrected his path of travel and kept coming across the center line hiting my friend on the left side with his bumper. He ended up with a borken leg in 2 places, broken arm and nose.

Hiting my friend sent the car in a uncontroled spin which caused him to take 2 more bikes out. The second last rider laid her bike down and suffered only scratches and road rash. The last in line had enough time to see it all and took the the left lane and missed the whole crash by inches.

All 5 down riders were taken to hospital. 1 was treated and released within hours. 1 was kept on observation with some minor fractures and has since been released. The other 3 including my friend, the groom and 1 other were kept in ICU until this morning. They are now listed as stable. All 3 have internal injuries with many broken bones. One has lost part of his foot which was amputated yesterday. My friend has 2 pins in his left leg and arm.

All were members of the 2nd CAV (Canadian Army Veterans). Charges are pending on the car driver.

I am just glad no one had major head injuries. I guess what my have saved them is the fact they were coming off a major Hwy exit and were just starting to pick up speed while the car was heading towards an exit and likely slowing down

Down in the crash were 1 GoldWing, 2 Harleys and 2 Stars.

Sorry to hear this of your friends or anyone else for that matter. Hate to read these posts when there is nothing one can do. If people would only pay attention to what they're doing while driving the world would be much safer for everyone else on the road.

Prayers and wishing a speedy recovery for all involved.

Larry