IGNORED

Warning light???

igya

How 'bout that warning light in the upper left area of the LCD panel? I bought this very clean '85 from a local for $800 :smile5: , but he didn't have an owner's manual.

The only issue I have is that little red warning light. He monkeyed around with the tail light wires adding chrome junk and now only the brake light works (no running or signals).

I've cleaned the wires up by removing everything that wasn't O.E.M. and checking all connectors.

I don't know if the lights have any effect on the warning light or not. Any ideas while I'm waiting on a factory manual to arrive?

If the little red light is going off, it's been my experience so far that there is a corresponding image in your dash that appears to indicate where the problem is. This is true for the battery, side stand and fuel level. Look and see if you have an image appearing with the light. If it's the battery image, then chances are you're not using an original type battery as there is a sensor that is supposed to be attached to the battery. If this is the case, there is a post here at http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=489 that explains how to bypass it.

How 'bout that warning light in the upper left area of the LCD panel? I bought this very clean '85 from a local for $800 :smile5: , but he didn't have an owner's manual.

The only issue I have is that little red warning light. He monkeyed around with the tail light wires adding chrome junk and now only the brake light works (no running or signals).

I've cleaned the wires up by removing everything that wasn't O.E.M. and checking all connectors.

I don't know if the lights have any effect on the warning light or not. Any ideas while I'm waiting on a factory manual to arrive?

If you dont have a warning image as well as the red light, you may be using an lcd bulb in the tail or have a burnt out bulb. (the LCD doesnt use enough current and the computer console thinks there a dead bulb)

You got a great deal on your 85, i paid a whole lot more than that for mine.. enjoy!!

Brian

If it's a "small" light icon, that's the rear brake light. If it's a "big" icon, that's your headlight. The CMU recognizes a set amount of current draw going to these lights as a base standard and when the current draw is less than the set parameters, it sets a trouble code (ie: little red flashing lite and corresponding icon lit). For some reason, it doesn't set a code if the draw is higher than normal. Hope this helps.

Dan

I had an issue with my tail lights a couple of years ago. I thought it was a fuse, but it turned out to be the fuse holder. The metal socket at one end looked OK, but after fiddling with it, one side snapped off. The metal was fatigued, & cracked enough that the fuse was a little loose. The tail lights would quit working until I checked the fuse, then would work for a while.

Check your fuse box. There is a replacement fuse box that allows you to use the new blade style fuses. It costs $20 or so, but may fix your problem, if it's the fuses.

If you pull the seat & trunk, you can access the tail light wiring. Look for pinched wiring or nicks in the insulation where it's been rubbing against something. Shorts make for short bulb life.

But both hi and lo work, can see difference when I use the switch.

Am confused?

:puzzled:

• 2 weeks later...

Which bulb should be in the headlight, owners manual say 65w/60w and service manual says 60w/55w. Could that keep my headlight icon on. My bulb says 60w/55w. Just wondering

Thanks for the batt icon help, it is now off.

But both hi and lo work, can see difference when I use the switch.

In that case your bulb is OK. When either beam is burned out, a part called the RLU (reserve lighting unit) switches immediately to the other beam. The white light next to the blue hi beam indicator glows and the headlight icon comes on, causing the red light to flash.

Which bulb should be in the headlight, owners manual say 65w/60w and service manual says 60w/55w. Could that keep my headlight icon on. My bulb says 60w/55w.

It's a standard H4 bulb. I don't remember the wattage, but one of your numbers is a misprint and 5W isn't enough to cause the system a problem.

nyuk, some guys have issues with the CMU circuit board where the solder joints crack and lose contact. Another possibility is that somebody rewired the headlight in some fashion. I tried to do that thru a relay, to get better voltage to the headlight, thus making it brighter. Guess what? It made my indicator light all the time, so I put it back to stock.

igya, does your CMU work? Do you get LCD indicators that cycle thru when you start the bike? Or is the CMU panel dead and all you get is that blasted red light?

I velcro'd my garage door opener under the dash in front of the red light. Nothing is broken on my CMU. It's just that the fuel indicator drives me nuts. When it goes from the last bar on the fuel gage to "warning" mode, the red light flashes for a minute or so before going on steady; the flashing is distracting to me. That wouldn't be so bad except that every time I brake and accelerate for the next 5 or 10 miles the lower bar comes back on and then goes off again - another minute of flashing.

Jeremy

I velcro'd my garage door opener under the dash in front of the red light. Nothing is broken on my CMU. It's just that the fuel indicator drives me nuts. When it goes from the last bar on the fuel gage to "warning" mode, the red light flashes for a minute or so before going on steady; the flashing is distracting to me. That wouldn't be so bad except that every time I brake and accelerate for the next 5 or 10 miles the lower bar comes back on and then goes off again - another minute of flashing.

Jeremy

This is why I now always fill as soon as I get down to 1 bar.