IGNORED

Virus warning.!!!!!

DragonRider

Just received this.................

You can read about it on www.snopes.com

Anyone-using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on.

This information arrived this morning, Direct from both Microsoft and

Norton.

Please send it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled 'Mail Server Report'

If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying:

'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful.'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, And the person who

sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.

AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's

are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES

Relax guys. This is the excerpt from Snopes about this email.

This latter version is difficult to classify as either "true" or "false": The virus it references (i.e., the Mail Server Report worm) is a real one, but it's neither new nor currently rampant (as claimed in the warning text), nor does it manifest itself in the fashion described (since the "symptoms" provided in the warning are merely a reworking of the text of an earlier virus hoax). All in all, that message doesn't really merit the dire warning to "SEND A COPY OF THIS TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!"

As a network admin of about 6000 machines I would like to remind everyone to keep your antivirus up to date and then you wouldnt have to worry about whether this is real or not. If your antivirus definitions are up to date you would have got a message telling you not to open the message or it would quarantine it on opening.

If you do not have an up to date antivirus program, GET ONE! there are several that dont cost anything. you can look up avast or avg and search for their free downloads and then you never have to worry about whether this is real or not.

If anyone has questions about viruses or anything to do with computers please dont hesitate to drop me a note and I will try to help out. (But keep in mind that Sometimes long distance help doesnt work however... as we all know when working on our rides)

Brian:cool10::cool10:

TruthOrFiction.com

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/mail-server-virus.htm

"Mail Server" Virus Warming-Truth! & Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:

A virus warning about an email that comes with a subject line of "Mail Server Report." The message says that it is a bad virus. The email is described as having a zip file attachment and says that you have sent out an email with a virus in it and that if you click the attachment, you can fix the problem. Another version says that you will lose all the files on your PC and that the email is being sent by a hacker named "life owner."

The Truth:

The "Mail Server Report" virus is real and began circulating in 2006.

Another version of the "Mail Server" virus warning began circulating in 2008, however, that is a hoax.

It all gets very confusing.

The original email that was sent in 2006 warned of a real virus, according virus protection sites such as Mcafee, Symantec, and F-Secure. The email pretends to be warning you that it has been determined that emails containing a worm are being sent from your computer and that you should install the attachment to update your computer and, presumably, stop the virus from being sent. The problem is that the attachment itself is a virus so if you are duped into opening it, it searches your computer for email addresses and sends itself to them. F-Secure names the real virus as Warezov. Other virus protection sites called it Stration.bb or W32/Stration-X.

A second version began circulating in 2008 this is a hoax. It claims that if you receive an email with the words "Mail Server Report" and open it, you'll receive a message on your screen that says "It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful" and that you'll "lose everything on your PC." That actually borrows wording from yet another virus hoax called "Life is Beautiful."

Be sure you have good virus protection software and that your virus definitions are up to date.

Updated 4/2/08

--------------------------------------------------------------

A real example of the eRumor as it has appeared on the Internet:

Version #1

Alert everyone you know through e-mail not to open an e-mail with "Mail Server Report" in subject line. I went to the link and it is saying this one is "True" - BEWARE. Urgent This is a Bad Virus Please don't open!

This one checks out and is a bona fide real virus so hence the warning:

Any email with "Mail Server Report" in the subject line is a new virus and should not be opened. It comes with an attachment in zip format. Apparently there is a Zip file attached so be very leery of any thing with a zip file attached to it.

The message tells you that a worm was detected in an e-mail that you sent out and asks you to open and install the attachment to 'fix' the problem. Only, the Zip File IS the problem! DO NOT DO IT! Delete the e-mail.

This is a real threat.

Version #2

Anyone-using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail,

AOL and so on.

This information arrived this morning,

Direct from both Microsoft and Norton.

Please send it to everybody you know who has

access to the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled

'Mail Server Report'

If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen

saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful.'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC,

And the person who sent it to you will gain access to your

name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.

AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself

'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL

TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to

PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.

We get these things all the time since about 1994 I think.

1. Do not send something to all your friends when you get an email saying send it to all your friends.

2. Keep you anti-virus turned on and up to date. You should also be running a firewall.

3. Install and run a Spyware removal program. Update it at least once a week.

4. If you have doubts never open an attachment you were not expecting.

Edited by BuddyRich

I'm Glad I Have Mac, Never have virus, and never bought antivirus software.

Macs may not show any viruses or affect a mac, but, if you do not have antivirus software you can still spread a virus to other unsuspecting users. Everyone should use antivirus software as a mac user opening up an infected word document or email may not get infected, but when they email or share the file the next person may have windows or linux and may get the virus you just passed along.

We use antivirus software on all 3200 of our macs at work just to prevent this from happening.

PS there are getting to be more mac viruses all the time, get protected, in our shop last month we cleaned approximatelty 75 infected macs (of course in the same time we had 1500 instances of pc infections)

PS there are getting to be more mac viruses all the time, get protected, in our shop last month we cleaned approximatelty 75 infected macs (of course in the same time we had 1500 instances of pc infections)

hmmmmmm... so, are you saying your virus programs weren't up-to-date or are you saying that even if you have up-to-date virus programs and firewalls, you can still become infected??? (just ribbin ya) I also am a network admin and although I don't manage as many systems as you do, I can say that my shop has not had an infection in the 2 years I've been here (touch on wood). We use Symantec Corporate and we subscribe to Anti-virus & Spyware service thru our firewall supplier.

hmmmmmm... so, are you saying your virus programs weren't up-to-date or are you saying that even if you have up-to-date virus programs and firewalls, you can still become infected??? (just ribbin ya) I also am a network admin and although I don't manage as many systems as you do, I can say that my shop has not had an infection in the 2 years I've been here (touch on wood). We use Symantec Corporate and we subscribe to Anti-virus & Spyware service thru our firewall supplier.

I should have said that According to our A/V console center our software has dealt 75 mac and 1500 pc possible infections, (even more spyware) and has quarantined or deleted the files involved. We use Sophos A/V, Spyware removal and firewall and have not had an actual case of infection either, ...I dont know whether thats good luck or good management but I would prefer to think the latter...lol!

My point was that Macs DO get viruses, although in nowhere near the numbers that PC's do.

There is no reason to worry so much about all these hoaxes and junk if youre proprerly protected...so I just wish people wouldnt forward eveyrthing on to everyone else, because its almost always a hoax.

If for some ungodly reason you weren't protected and you do get a virus(or this virus) if it isn't a hoax. You can remove it with out software by rebooting your computer in safe mode and going into you computer settings and set it to a day before the infection occured . You might lose something downloaded that day . but its cheaper(free) and fool proof, Like travelling backwards in computer time.:detective:

I see there selling AVG software in stores now. $27.00 for for 2 years. I been using it for years. Works great for me. No snooping and slowing down my machine with them. They also include Spy-ware.

Sure beets others that bogg down my machine and have to know everything about me and what I'm doing for for the low price of $90.00 for one year. :think:

If for some ungodly reason you weren't protected and you do get a virus(or this virus) if it isn't a hoax. You can remove it with out software by rebooting your computer in safe mode and going into you computer settings and set it to a day before the infection occured . You might lose something downloaded that day . but its cheaper(free) and fool proof, Like travelling backwards in computer time.:detective:

That SOMETIMES works but if the virus is into any of the files Windows loads or calls when loading (which is often the case) or if it's into any of the application files that you load, rebooting in safe mode and rolling back won't help at all.

I use AVG also, very good product, but I pay nothing, use the free consumer verison at no charge.............:banana::banana:

I see there selling AVG software in stores now. $27.00 for for 2 years. I been using it for years. Works great for me. No snooping and slowing down my machine with them. They also include Spy-ware.

Sure beets others that bogg down my machine and have to know everything about me and what I'm doing for for the low price of $90.00 for one year. :think:

Its still working for me, it updates my computers several times a day, I guess when it expires in a year or so, have to look elsewhere......guess thats how they get you hooked, give it free to you for a while then start charging you..........sort of a bait and swithch tactic................oh well............:missingtooth:

I think the free AVG is a thing of the past now.

I use AVG also, very good product, but I pay nothing, use the free consumer verison at no charge.............:banana::banana:

I used the free stuff for four years and liked it so much I pay now, The free is ok but much more protection with the paid stuff, $$. I like the product, well worth a few bucks. I'm just glad there out there.