IGNORED

Are we legal, does it matter?

AZSpyder

:think:

Judging from what I have seen so far many of the modifications we make to the bikes are possibly illegal on the federal level. In my area there are also the mods that are illegal on the local level, like no mufflers, that seem to be ignored by the police....so far. There was an interesting link to the Motorcycle Riders Foundation posted by Steve (Bummer) in another thread. Also the federal laws.

Going by MRF many of the more common modifications such as Vmax rear end, plugging the AIS, muffler change or modification, jet changes, air filter/air box changes, rev limiter changes, cam etc. assuming not using something that has been certified for the bike, could be trouble.

At this time I assume the only thing we could remotely see are violations for exhaust changes. They would be easier to tell then final drive gears changes or jet work. Is it likely? Not from what I see of the uncorked Harley's in Tucson. I still wouldn't be surprised if one day there is a crack down here but no sign yet. If someone with power gets fed up here it could even swing the other way and go 100% compliance.

How about in other areas? Has anyone run into examples of enforcement? Anyone have a good guess as to what the future may bring?

Jerry

In Texas no one bothered me about the Back Off I had, but a Delaware State Trooper stoped me last week and told me it was illegal in DE, just a warning because I still have TX plates and registration. I think the Back Off system is illegal every where it's just that some states leave you alone. Just trying to make one self more visable.

They would have a really hard time with things like the VMAX rear end (looks exactly like the stock one) and things like jets. I don't really look for it to ever be a problem. Loud exhaust could turn into a problem someday though.

They would have a really hard time with things like the VMAX rear end (looks exactly like the stock one) and things like jets. I don't really look for it to ever be a problem. Loud exhaust could turn into a problem someday though.

For the Americans over here loud Pipes are a real Problem.....

They have to have their Bike inspected and my couldn't pass the Test, even with a brand new and in Germany legal Aftermarket Exhaust. This Exhaust would have made him pass a german Inspection with flying Colours, but not the american Inspection, figure that !!!

He needed several Trips to the Inspectors, because they didn't operate the Measuring Device properly and according to the Rules of Engagement. After several missed Test, he finally offered them to break Hell loose over them, because they were working in his Field of Expertise. So they let him pass... But i think this Story will have a second and third Act. He told me, there are several Guys in the Services who had this happen.

So, the Moral of this Story, prepare to see new Rules regarding Noise sooner or later, but they will come.

Loud (after-market) pipes are the #1 problem Down Under, and the Police and Transport authorities now and then have blitzes on them. They mainly target the OMCG in the larger centres and leave the solo guys alone - especially if they're riding 'quietly'.

I have Samson after-markets on my 2004 RSV and manage to ride 'quietly' in built-up areas. I'm a former LEO and know the rules and the ropes!

We have a guy in the lab that bought a new Harley full dresser. He had mufflers installed that were a little louder with baffles and all. Last weekend he and some other riders got caught up in a State Trouper seat belt check in Virginia. He ended up getting a ticket for loud mufflers. I don't have a problem with this other than his bike is more quite than about 90% of most Harleys.

RandyA

As a rider, I am ready for the police to crack down on loud exhaust.

Heck, I had a drag car with open headers and I swear it wasn't as loud as some street bikes I come across. There is no safety factor, I can't really hear them when I am on my bike or driving a car, till they get next to me and then they are doing real harm to MY hearing if I don't plug my ears (in the car) on the bike, it still hurts but the helmet helps).

Taking it easy in town etc doesn't help much. I live in a fairly quiet small town of 12,000 people, on the edge of town. Because if you make noise in the country, I can hear some bikes for miles and miles as they leave town. Heck I can hear some when they come to a curve four miles away! The constant drone on nice weekend nights is ruining the reason I live in a small town. There are nights when I look forward to winter to quiet things down.

Yes, bring on the LEO and crack down on loud pipes. Also cars with loud music systems. There is one guy that comes by our house every night at 10:15pm. I can hear him for miles too.

The only positive thing is that all the people with loud pipes and music will be buying hearing aids real soon. I am buying hearing aid stock! :happy65:

Rant away all those that love to disturb the peace! You will love it when I put headers on my car and park in front of your house for hours on end.

I have done many of the mods mentioned here on my Midnight Venture. This riding season so far I have clocked over 7,000 miles going all over the Northeast Region for Patriot Guard Missions.

No problem whatsoever with Law Enforcement at any level.

Of course I leave my Patriot Guard Banner on the windshield 24/7 so that might play a part..........:happy34:

Regards..........Boomer

NEW DENVER NOISE LAW ALLOWS TICKETS FOR HAVING AFTERMARKET EXHAUST SYSTEMS

http://home.ama-cycle.org/newsroom/amarelease.asp?rnum=A07009

There is a problem with the author's assumptions that this is unfair against motorcycles, and he sites the idea that a Ford owner would have to go back to the Ford dealer for a muffler to obey this law.

But there are approved and certified aftermarket auto exhausts, there are no approved and certified aftermarket motorcycle exhausts..

Harley makes optional exhausts that are certified, but only a few aftermarket companies make exhausts that even meet all states sound levels, and they have not been applied to the feds for certification so are still illegal.

If all the states did this, aftermarket companies would start producing certified exhausts, problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought...........any activity that gains huge widespread popularity or attention, will inevitably get the attention of the regulators, if for no other reason, that they can find a way to make more money, or spend more money or both!

With motorcycles and scooters getting more popular, and becoming part of everyday life, even in the "cold" climates (at least during the warm part of the year), you can bet that there are lots of government types on both the state and federal level putting together legislation that will effect us all. Also prices on most things motorcycle related will probably go up. If there is a way to screw the consumer, someone will find it.

As stated, I wish our hobby would self-regulate on noise levels. If we don't, for sure the government will. Even the head of Harley posted a letter stating Harley owners should cut down on the noise, before they are forced to quiet things up.