IGNORED

Loud Pipes Save Lives

AZSpyder

Found an interesting article on the fuzz using louder exhaust. It's seemed funny that it said there was no proof that louder exhaust reduces accidents but it was very clear to me.

I had a stock Dynaglide muffler on a Suzuki S40. Not real loud but a bit more then the too quiet stock one. I used to average having someone switch into my lane once a day. With the muffler change it never did end up happening again, though with time eventually some blind moron would have done it.

Jerry

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/09/BAJB114OUT.DTL&tsp=1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noise Annoys. Just thought I'd weigh in with the other side of the debate.

IMHO, the only thing loud pipes do is make otherwise good people hate all bikers because of the inconsiderate few. Well, the squids trick riding on public roads do that too, but you get my meaning. :2cents:

Goose

I bought my Sportster with straight pipes on it. I didn't really like all the noise but the cows in the fields were sure looking at me as I came by so I'm betting the deer knew way ahead of time too. I sure didn't see many when I was riding it.

And African lions too. Betcha never saw one of those either while running the loud pipes...:stirthepot: :duck:

:15_8_211[1]:

Noise Annoys. Just thought I'd weigh in with the other side of the debate.

IMHO, the only thing loud pipes do is make otherwise good people hate all bikers because of the inconsiderate few. Well, the squids trick riding on public roads do that too, but you get my meaning. :2cents:

Goose

Well..with that being the case, it balances out. The ones with loud pipes annoying cagers....cagers running bikes off the road, and then saying they didn't know they were there, annoying bikers....checks...balances...

;):p:D:hihi:

It must be a cager conspiracy..........sheesh... like they do it on purpose.... grow up!

Well..with that being the case, it balances out. The ones with loud pipes annoying cagers....cagers running bikes off the road, and then saying they didn't know they were there, annoying bikers....checks...balances...

;):p:D:hihi:

It must be a cager conspiracy..........sheesh... like they do it on purpose.... grow up!

Well..I was saying it tongue in cheek...But being you bring it up, if they are too busy on their cell phone, or eating, or reading a book, or putting on make up, or any other item other than driving....YEAH, as far as I am concerned, they did IMHO...

well the last time i looked in my garage there was a cage parked there. guess i'm a cager. am i the only one on this site that has a cage? can't fathom that. when i was young i liked loud pipes. now they are very annoying to me. i don't knock the people that have loud pipes, i still have a couple of bikes that make a little noise,and i loved them years ago. these kids got to have their day just like we did. bill

well the last time i looked in my garage there was a cage parked there. guess i'm a cager. am i the only one on this site that has a cage? can't fathom that. when i was young i liked loud pipes. now they are very annoying to me. i don't knock the people that have loud pipes, i still have a couple of bikes that make a little noise,and i loved them years ago. these kids got to have their day just like we did. bill

Hey! Who are you and what did you do with snarlybill?!?! :rotfl:

It's a shame since first cager claimed they didn't see ya , when they forced ya off the road or into other hazards . Now they cannot hear you . Oh what a shame , what a shame .

What's next , cager cause MC accident cause they cannot smell them coming ?

BEER30

Turn your music down, or take the phone from your ear! :-)

That was good but what I meant is you really notice the noise when your behind it and its going away from you or passes you its not nearly as noticeable from the front. I rode in a group to Memphis with a diverse group Harleys, BMW's, Yamaha's. One particular gentleman had his beautiful new Ultra Classic that really rumbled. He liked to ride to the rear of the pack I was in front of him most of the time didnt really notice him,but a few times I rode behind him you really noticed him and it got old real fast with the loud noise and I noticed most of the other had the same opinion. I had to move up in the pack just got to annoying but in front of him it was fine.

Originally posted by Black Owl

And African lions too. Betcha never saw one of those either while running the loud pipes...

We don't have to many African Lions around here, a few mountain lions but a lot of deer. We are close to the largest state park in MO. Personally I don't care for the loud pipes either. I was just stating my experience. What is a moderater doing stirring. I thought they where supposed to keep things calmed down.

There is a difference between loud pipes and loud riders. I have 2 RSVs - 1 stock muffs & other has fish tails. The staight pipes are loud IF I make them loud. At low rpms they are relatively quiet. On the other hand, I have a neighbor who has straight pipes on his HD. He constantly blips the damned noisy thing in the neighborhood coming and going. In the old days, bliping was necessary to keep the sorry old time magneto engines from stalling out in a turn or at a stop. Today it is just IMMATURE even for these old guys riding these damned loud bikes. Sure - let it rip out on the open road - but it really only shows ones very low mentallity to constantly blip the damned noisy thing in a quiet neighborhood where one lives! F**k the neighbors - but I'm cool ---- NOT!!!

Originally posted by Black Owl

And African lions too. Betcha never saw one of those either while running the loud pipes...

We don't have to many African Lions around here, a few mountain lions but a lot of deer. We are close to the largest state park in MO. Personally I don't care for the loud pipes either. I was just stating my experience. What is a moderater doing stirring. I thought they where supposed to keep things calmed down.

Stirring it. Heck, I was just supporting your contention. Now I could be wrong, but if not seeing many deer is a validation of the safety feature of loud pipes, not seeing African lions would be an even stronger arguement to prove that loud pipes are a safety feature...

Not that I'm stirring the pot here, but I dont believe that loud pipes will make a cager hear you any better. If your on a freeway doing 70 mph there is a lot going on, semi trucks and whatnot. Many cars that I have ridden in these days are very soundproof, and even with the radio inside them at a reasonable volume a set of loud pipes doesn't really make a big difference in the passenger area.

Now I really dont like them in a group as I have been stuck behind some bikes with loud pipes and it's annoying. I guess it's all in what sound you find appealing but loud obnoxious is just that. I usually tell guys if they have strait pipes or whatnot to ride in the back of the pack, it's a courtesy thing for the other riders. I believe that additional lighting up front is a much bigger safety feature myself, but I'm no expert at anything :confused24:

...not seeing African lions would be an even stronger arguement to prove that loud pipes are a safety feature...

My PETA rep is fixing to file a formal complaint. Those lions are only following the laws of nature, and your attempt to keep them from their supper of finely aged biker is cruelty towards them.

Of course if you send me a cherry pie or a good beer I will convince him that it was just a mistake on your part and he should forget the whole thing.

My PETA rep is fixing to file a formal complaint. Those lions are only following the laws of nature, and your attempt to keep them from their supper of finely aged biker is cruelty towards them.

Of course if you send me a cherry pie or a good beer I will convince him that it was just a mistake on your part and he should forget the whole thing.

LOL now thats funny

I like my louder than stock pipes on my Sporty cause when I come along side someone

yakking on their cell phone I can just pull the clutch in and give it a rev or 5. I don't care how well that cage is insulated with the turn outs right along side the door they do hear it. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

PETA don't scare me. They are too busy up here trying to get the state to erect a monument to slaughtered cattle at the old St Paul Cattle Auction site.

OK, you guys have me really confused now. I was thinking that since I have not been hit by a 747 while riding my bike (or even an 18-wheeler, for that matter), that I had proof that QUIET pipes were a safety feature???? No?

Goose