IGNORED

2009 RSV-Impressed (Taller Rider)

As a taller rider (6'3) I have found it a challenge to find a bike I really fit well on, does not feel to compact but is also not a land barge.  I have owned and ridden most of the big bikes, Ultra Classic, Vision, Cross Country, Vulcan 2K, Nomad, FJR, and the list goes on.  But I honestly do not think I have ridden a better all around bike than the RSV.  I can ride it aggressively, it responds, I can ride it chilling, it is fine with that too.  It is big but not too big, still feels compact but not too compact.  With my Sampson turn out exhaust, but buddy says it sounds like his old mustang.  I don't think I have been this comfortable on a bike since the Victory Vision (have one of those too) but this just has a different vibe to it.  Overall I have been very impressed and not sure I am tracking with folks who complain about the low speed weight, I have had much worse.  Engine is smooth and linear, shifting is smooth and is a very easy bike to handle.

One thing I am still working out is the front wheel feels a little squirrely to me sometimes, like it tracks grooves in the road a little too well and I feel some of that in the handlebars but not too bad.  And I wish the front brakes grabbed a little better.  But both I can deal with.

Overall, just impressed with bike, and at the price point, who cares if it is carbureted, mine runs like a dream. 

So if it feels like the front wheel tracks to much for you, take a look see what size it is. One "trick" us folks that wanted a better feel at low speed was to change the front tire size. Of course its been to many years for me to remember which way we went. But I think it was a little narrower and taller

It's been a while, I believe that the narrow front tire, that folks installed on their bike, was good during slow speeds but at higher speeds it was a little squirmy...

Also if I remember correctly that the narrow tire and the leveling links made the problem worst.  I would recommend that you check out the size of your tire to see what tire you have on before doing leveling links.

I ran the stock size tire and leveling links and never had a slow speed problem in the 140K miles I put on my 2004. 

I'm sure others will chime in on to what the sizes of tires that @djh3 and I are talking about.  I'm just going by memory as I haven't had a RSV since 2017

9 hours ago, IMBatmon66 said:

So it is not really the slow speed stuff, it is tracking ruts a little more aggressively than I want which "twitches" the handlebars sometimes.  I am looking at leveling links and wonder if that would help.

What tire do you have on the front? In my experience, tracking has more to do with the front tire tread patern than anything else. That is if you are not experiencing steering head wobbling or feeling like it's tracking on a smooth road surface.

Dunno what tyres your running mate, but over here in the U.K. I’ve run Avon Cobra Chrome on my last three bikes,  two Triumph Rocket111’s and a Thunderbird Storm. Now got them on my 2006 RSV,  I really rate and trust them and would recommend them to anyone who’d listen.

I had dunlop 404 on my bike when I 1st got it and it would track like crazy. road snakes and grated bridge surfaces were scary. Switche to the E3 and later E4 and never had the issue again. I am now trying the shinko 777 and hoping for the same result. My only disappointment in the E3 & E4 was the life span. The tread had great wear life but the rubber itself started getting slippery in the bends at about the 50% wear mark as well the rubber started developing cracks

Edited by saddlebum

• 4 weeks later...

Squirly on road surfaces for me, has always been tire pressure and/or tire wear. Different manufacturers tires also respond weirdly to road surface issues. Best I've found so far are Shinko 777HDs. 38lbs front. 40lbs rear. 5lbs air in front. 40lbs air in rear. Single rider, 3/4 full side storage(both). 

Edited by videoarizona