IGNORED

lighting problem since passing lamp install!!!

I just installed my new passing lamps on my 99 RSV. I love how they look, but since they have been on the bike I have had nothing but problems with the lighting. First I blew a fuse while trying to adjust the angle of the passing lamps. (my fault, shorted one wire) Fixed that, then I Took it to Meijer to get ice cream and try out the new lights. (loved them really an improvement) But when I came out of Meijer, I had no lights at all, no running lights, no headlight, no taillight, no passing lamps. I did however have a brake light. I'm pretty sure I blew a main fuse, but i'm not sure why. All of the parts are genuine Yamaha and wired as Yamaha recommends, which i'm not sure I like since I have to pull the fairing off every time I blow a fuse. Has anyone else run into this before? Or is anyone better at electrical then I am and can recommend me to check something that may cause this? ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

frusterated Big Mike:confused24:

Did you power the New Lights thru a Relay, and a Seperate fuse. Your new Switch should control the New Relay.

The Main power thru the new relay, should come thru a " New " fuse, that gets power from the Main 40 amp fuse, Or direct from the battery.

Sounds like you are powering the New lights from an existing Circuit, and overloading that circuit.

IF, you did not install a new relay, Then I reccomend you disconnect your new lights, then get all the stock equipment working as normal.

Then start over with your new , Fuse, Relay, Switch, and new lights.

George,

You are certainly right with using a relay to provide power, but I believe Mike probably wired them up per the instructions provided by the folks at Star Accessories.

Mike, if I remember right they have you use a quick tap to get the power from one of 3 wires found in the headlight harnesses. I'm guessing you used one of the two wires (yellow or green) from the blue multi connector. But this power source is also attached to a switch to where you can turn them completely off.

But when you say that you are blowing fuses, especially your headlight fuse, this means you have a direct short in one of the two red wires going to the passing lamps. The insulation may be pinched somewhere going through the bracket. You can find this with a ohm meter once you have disconnected the power. And you may have to wiggle the red wires until you find the wire that is getting continuity when it touches the bike's ground in the passing lamp bracket.

Hope this helps,

Rick

If I was you I would rewire the whole thing using a relay and put the fuse under the seat. The yammie directions are crap. Splitting the fairing to change the fuse is stupid. Using a relay takes the strain off of your ignition switch. Also many people get a better on/off switch as the one yammie supplies is also crap. Here's a wiring diagram for using a relay. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=525

I agree about rewiring them and get them off the main circuit. As for the short I'm willing to bet that the short is on one of the running lights in the passing lamp. Where the wires come out of the running lights and into the light bar is VERY SHARP and can short out there.

If the lights are powered from the same fuse that runs the headlight, the fuse will blow. The circut is not heavy enough to run all 3 lights. The best solution is to pull a new FUSED circut from the battery, put a relay under the fairing to energize the lights and power the relay from a circut that will go off when the ignition is off.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you all for your input. I am going to check all of the wiring first to see if my wires are shorting out. It cant be that complicated since everything worked before the install. So when I get more info on the problem i'll let you know. Also thanks again Squidley for the offer to help, im just afraid that i'll end up not getting home until late tonight since I live in saginaw and then have to be up for work early in the am. Also im not going to be at maintenance day because I have been scheduled to work all that weekend and couldn't get out of it.

Thanks,

Big Mike

You might want to have a look around the steering stops for the steering head....they tend to work like wire cutters on any loose wiring.

Well Neil, you hit it right on the head. Those wires dont like to be in between the steering stops. I cut the wire and reconnected it together with a water tight butt connector. Then I re-routed the wiring between the inner fairing and a support cross bar to keep it away from the steering stops and steering head, and zip tied the heck out of it. Then I replaced the head light fuse and all is great again!!!!!!!:big-grin-emoticon: So, knowing the rules I snapped a few pictures of the new passing lamps installed, and also the pilot brake light bar I also installed this weekend. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS!!! There is no other place I have ever gone to be able to get this much help without a price. You guys are the best.

Big Mike