IGNORED

Petlas Tires?

luvmy40

• 6 months later...

Hey Rich,

Sorry for the slow reply, If you have dealt with this issue, I would LOVE to know which tire you selected? You also threw me off for a sec. when I looked at the tire size in the link. (With a First Gen. Rear Tire being 16 inches!!!) I got it now, it's for your Second Gen. 

Petlas Tire Corp. made Military Tires mostly from the mid 70's to the end of the 90's. They got into Industrial Tires in the 90's AND I actually saw these tires a LOT on equipment to move Jet Engines, Fuel Drop Tanks, Wheel Assemblies, etc. at Lockheed/Martin when I worked there. I will add that the Assembly Moving Trailers I saw were pulled around but were NEVER exposed to Interstate Highway Speeds, under power. I never saw a flat or blow out even though they were "Overloaded" regularly! I personally have never ran these tires on a motor vehicle, but like I said, I have been exposed to them.

I hope this helps Rich, and let us know what choice you make.

Earl

JET ENGINE CRADLE.jpg

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

I ran the whole season on it. No really long trips, maybe 2k miles. So far so good. It does feel a little different leaning into a deep turn. Not bad, just different. I don't even notice it anymore. Only time, and miles will tell the final story, but I will say it was the easiest tire change I've ever done. That may be due to the NoMar mount/dismount tool I bought. BTW, it's worth every penny!

Edited by luvmy40
spelling

20 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

Hey Rich,

What is your impression of this tire? How many miles so far?

Thanks,

Earl.

I ran a Nexan on my Gen 2 for just under 2 years. I had 18K miles on it but my fuel pump went out on a long trip and they would not work on the bike with a CT so I had them put on a MT.  If I would have know how easy the Fuel pump was to replace I would have bought the part, put it in myself and kept the CT.  I can vouch that it felt different in twisties at first and it was a 'feeling comfortable' issue mot a performance issue. After a short time that comfort was there. Here in Houston 90% of what I ride is flat and lazy curves. I miss the Appalachian area for riding. Will be looking to go Dark on the next rear tire change on the SVTC. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...