IGNORED

lowering front end

Guest Kurt Leopold

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on what your lifting your bike with it may be easier though.

It's quite a task to get to the pinch bolts to adjust the forks. Not sure I'd want the wheel on there when lowering the bike to get the forks to move up in the lower clamp.

I don't know of anyone who has removed the front tire when lowering the front of their bike. I lowered mine and see no advantage of removing the tire. I used a motorcycle jack to raise the bike and get the weight off the front tire.

I dont recomend lowering the front end of the RSV.

I got a wicked speed wobble on mine on the first trip, so I raised it back up that night!!!!!!!

Lowering the front end of my bike was probally one of the dumbest things I have ever done to a motorcycle!!!!!

I recomend that you get the narrower front tire insted. Skip the Leveling Links also!!!!!!

Get the Ride Like a Pro V DVD ASAP!!!!!!!!! and LEARN how to properly ride a motorcycle. Attend the MSF riders couse too!!!!!!! EVERY YEAR!!!!!! I KNOW that I need better riding skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I practice the techniques EVERY time I ride my bike!!!!!!!

This is the first I have heard of anyone having trouble with wobble after lowering the front of the bike. I lowered mine and have not had any problem with a wobble and I just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to Arizona so I am thinking if it was going to wobble it would have done it by now.

No wobble on mine though I only have had it up to 95MPH. Not a hint and tracked very nice. If you are a bit short on leg and want to try changing the heavy low speed handling this is a good mod. I tried mine at 1 inch and later 1/2 inch. The 1/2 worked well for me.

It's free and for me it was fun learning the bike. I like tinkering with things and I learned my way around the front.

Also if you are into the front at all check your steering bearings. Mine were a bit loose and adjusting them also help the low speed control.

Jerry

• 1 year later...

I lowered the front end of my 98 RS Boulevard 1+ inches by moving the rebound spacer on top of the fork spring to the lower portion of the lower tubes. I also lowered the rear by 1+ inches. I could not believe the improved handling at all speeds. I was impressed! Yes this aggressive lowering caused me to scrape my floor boards in tight turns. :witch_brew:

1" in front and 3/4 to 1" in the rear would have been a perfect combination. That was with low profile 80's stock width 150 tires and two pipes each side.

I traded my RSB for a RSV last spring. I am going to lower the front of my RSV along with the EQ mod and speaker upgrade (speaker baffles are a must for plastic housings) that's in progress at this time.:guitarist 2:

Gotor06

I got a wicked speed wobble on mine on the first trip, so I raised it back up that night!!!!!!!

Lowering the front end of my bike was probally one of the dumbest things I have ever done to a motorcycle!!!!!

I recomend that you get the narrower front tire insted. Skip the Leveling Links also!!!!!!

Get the Ride Like a Pro V DVD ASAP!!!!!!!!! and LEARN how to properly ride a motorcycle. Attend the MSF riders couse too!!!!!!! EVERY YEAR!!!!!! I KNOW that I need better riding skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I practice the techniques EVERY time I ride my bike!!!!!!!

This is the first I have heard of anyone having trouble with wobble after lowering the front of the bike. I lowered mine and have not had any problem with a wobble and I just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to Arizona so I am thinking if it was going to wobble it would have done it by now.

I helped do Walters and Gunboats and we just came back from Bogalusa doing between 70 and 80 mph and Don didn't have any problem. I would be looking somewhere else for your problem Kitesquid, I dont think it was lowering that did it to you

:2cents:

This can happen...

From my Motocross racing experience...this is quite common. In motocross we constantly adjust the suspension...setting the RACE SAGE on the bike and adjusting the front forks in the triple clamps to allow the sometimes small racers to get at least one foot on the ground. IF you happen to get the geometry of the bike off a little, we found this was where the rear is level with the front of a little bit higher that the front. In racing when you are in the gas the rear will swat a little and this helps to keep the head shake away.

Head shake could not happen for a days or months till you hit a really hard bump going down hill with the weight of the bike shifted to the front. It takes all the strength you have to stop it on a 205 lb dirt bike...I cannot imagine what it would be like on a 800 lb RSV.

I think you guys that have never had this happen...you still have the rear lower than the front so you are good...I hope. If the conditions are right...All it may take is a pot hole or big bump to get it started.

If you say drop the forks down in the triple clamps (lower front) and install leveling kit in the rear (raise the rear) you are setting your self up for the dreaded head shake wobble.

If you ever get this...your instinct it to hit the brakes...and this is the worst thing you can do...brakes shift more weight to the front and make it worst. Gas in it...this shifts weight to the rear and stops the wobble. Most motocross racers that encounter it for the first time...crash...then they learn to never let that happen again and most can deal with it after they heal up.

So be careful about dropping the front too much. The dreaded head shake could mean your life.

Not trying to start anything, but raising the rear gives the same handling effect as lowering the front. However, there are those who keep saying it is not safe to lower the front end, that you should raise the rear instead. How about someone explains how that works.

I noticed when the last lower thread went around that the amount people lowered varied quite a bit. I lowered mine 1" did not like it so raised it to 5/8" lower and that was it for me. Not having the forks even, too soft on the shocks, or too much lowering will affect handling negatively. I have several thousand miles of hard riding on mine with no problems. Raising the rear/lowering the front same for geometry. Lowering you loose some ground clearance, the only time I notice is in the U-Turn box on the range when teaching the ERC. Rod

Not trying to start anything, but raising the rear gives the same handling effect as lowering the front. However, there are those who keep saying it is not safe to lower the front end, that you should raise the rear instead. How about someone explains how that works.

Oh no...you are not starting anything at all.

Not really saying it is unsafe to lower the front or raise the rear...just do it with moderation.

the RSV 2nd gen... naturally sits high in the front. Folks install leveling links to raise the rear end...or drop the front forks in the triple clamps. If you get the rear a little higher or exactly level ( Kinda like balancing a see saw...) You could induce the dreaded head shake simply by hitting a pot hole or a seam in the interstate.

I would bet if you did both ,install leveling links and drop the forks in the clamps...you could be at risk. If you go to extreme on the front alone...I think you could have some trouble.

I just wanted folks to know that what Kitesquid said about lowering the front of his bike is very possible to cause the wobble he described...even some crotch rocket riders have encountered this head shake after messing around with rear and front suspension.

I am speaking from experience from the motocross world...and suspect it would be the same with the RSV. I know several has successfully dropped the front about 1" with no problems...you just need to know NOT to go too too far with it.

All bikes have different rakes and trails, depending on their intended use.

Most sportbikes and dirtbikes are set up to be as agile as possible. That means they're set up right on the edge, with low rake and trail, balancing agility and stability. Because of that, many require steering dampers to address headshake. That also means they're very sensitive to change, and a little tweak to make the bike more agile, or even a tire change can throw them into an unrecoverable tank slapper. On a sportbike or a dirtbike, I agree, you better be careful.

Cruisers and choppers, on the other hand, are set up with relaxed geometry, meaning large rake and trail. This gives great straight line stability, but requires more effort to turn in the twisties and at low speeds. They're typically nowhere near the edge. If someone is experiencing enough headshake to cause concern after a 1" change on either end of a stock Venture, I'd agree that they've got something else wrong with their bike.

The Venture, as delivered from the factory, appears to have a low rear end, as well as relaxed steering geometry. Leveling the bike has the same effect on steering whether it's done with rear raising links or a front end drop. It reduces the rake and trail, which makes the bike more agile.

The preference of raising the rear over lowering the front is all about ground clearance. Stock, many folks scrape floorboards in the twisties. Raising the rear an inch gives you about an extra 1/2" of clearance at the floorboards. Dropping the front an inch takes away about 1/2" of clearance. For the taller folks who are somewhat aggressive in the twisties, raising the rear with "leveling links" is definitely the way to go. For the inseam challenged, dropping the front is the only choice, and does require a reduction in corner speed for the more aggressive riders.

Guest oldroadstar

Since we are on this subject I have a question. I have raised the rear of my RSV with leveling links and am very satified with the results. Soon I will need a new front tire. Will I have problems if I go with the smaller front tire? All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.:bowdown:

Guest oldroadstar

Not sure I have a good answer for that. Before I got the leveling links it would have been to improve the handling. Now that I have them wasn't sure if the smaller tire would help that much more, make it overkill or cause problems.

The Venture's wheelbase is listed at 67.1 inches. That means a 1" change (front or back) equates to approximately a 1.7 degree change in the angle of the bike, which reduces the rake the same amount, and reduces trail. That's a lot.

If you're pleased with the way the bike feels now, I'd definitely recommend not going any further. Unless you're planning to do track days with it. :stickpoke:

:)

Something I will throw in on the narrower front tire. I had one on my '99 and it did make the bike feel more neutral and steer quicker, but you loose a bit of stability in a heavier wind. I like the 150 as it adds a bit more meat to the road and this makes the bike more stable at highway speeds when it's a bit windy out. If your inseamed challenged, leveling links wont work well for you. Thats where lowering the front end helps out, if none of this matters to you...tear it up!

I'm not sure about rake and trail and leveling links..

But can I ask.. if I am inseam challenged and just want my feet firmer on the ground, would lowering the rear a bit be the right choice? Like the Baron's lowering kit.. or is there a cheaper method?

I have an 07 RSTD with Mustang Seat.

Thanks,

Keith

I'm not sure about rake and trail and leveling links..

But can I ask.. if I am inseam challenged and just want my feet firmer on the ground, would lowering the rear a bit be the right choice? Like the Baron's lowering kit.. or is there a cheaper method?

I have an 07 RSTD with Mustang Seat.

Thanks,

Keith

Being inseam challenged myself, I lowered the front end. Nothing needed other than help from Gunboat's hammer. :yikes: :crackup::crackup::crackup:

I think you could do both, to lower the entire bike, but if you do, from what I've heard you will need to shorten the kickstand. Otherwise you will have to be REALLY careful where you park it.

Walter

The stock RSV and RSTD are tilted back a bit. That makes them want to go straight, and makes them feel heavier when trying to turn, since the steering geometry of the bike is resisting the change in direction. If you lower the back with a Barons kit, it's going to make that even worse, and it will cost you money to buy the kit.

If you lower the front, it levels the bike and makes it steer much easier. The bike actually feels smaller and lighter after the change. And it's free.

The biggest thing to understand about rake and trail is that they have a huge affect on the way a bike feels and handles.

I thought the RSV (and RSTD) handled acceptably stock. That's why I bought one. I just figured that it's a 900lb bike and it would feel heavy no matter what I did. And I was going to lower the back with a Barons kit, since it's a kit, and Barons must know what they're doing, right? But the VentureRider family convinced me to level it instead. And once I leveled it, it felt like someone had taken about 300lb off of the bike. It's that big of a difference. For me, anyway.