IGNORED

sunglasses

TxVenture

Hay Don

I wear prescription glasses in Transitions® auto darkening lenses. I like them because they vary in darkness according to the amount of UV they're exposed to and they turn clear in low light situations.

Ponch

I like my transitions also, I have a tiny bit of astigmatism since my cataract surgery so mine are prescription but only slightly more than reg sunglasses.

Here's the link to a thread that was started a while back http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21403

Hay Don

I wear prescription glasses in Transitions® auto darkening lenses. I like them because they vary in darkness according to the amount of UV they're exposed to and they turn clear in low light situations.

Ponch

Guest Popeye

I use any "polycarbonate" sunglasses that fit well....I pay $1.-$3. for each & some clear from the dollar store. Anything else I lose or break.

If it doesn't clearly state "polycabonate" I have no use for 'em.

I have a pair of Panoptx. Love them. They have a transition type lens, so I don't have to worry about changing anything at night. Has a removeable eyecup, which while it's in, keeps everything off the eyeballs. Just all around nice glasses. A little on the pricey side, although I got them on sale for about $150. I've had them for about two years and they are still on the job doing well. I don't mind spending the money on a good product, it usually makes me take care of them.

I buy the 12 pack at Sams Club, They are safety glasses made of

High Performance Polycarbonate, Scratch and Impact Resistand

99% UV protection. They are lightweight and comfort.

The best part is they, they run $2:00 dollars a per, a 12 pack will be 24 dollars.:256::256:

For years I have worn the most comfortable pair of cheap sunglasses which I could find at convenience stores when I was out on the road and I was quite happy with them. However, now that I'm almost 48 years old, I have found that I am beginning to need glasses more often than not.:Cartoon_397: Oh well, I have done pretty well so far.

So, just today as a matter of fact, I decided to order a really nice pair of Wiley-X (Strikers), with gray, light-adjusting, prescription lenses. The typical retail price on these is pretty high, but I found a new optometrist who is willing to get me in to a pair for $160. Yea, it's a lot. But, since they're prescription lenses and light-adjusting, I believe that I'll get a lot of good riding use out of them.

I also like that fact that these lenses are shatter-proof polycarbonate. I realize that shatterproof-proof probably means shatter-resistant. Anyway, after riding a number of years, I have been hit in the face with all sorts of things which splatter and sting. Fortunately, I have never been hit square in the eye (or eye-glasses) by a rock kicked-up by another vehicle. However, it has always concerned me. I know ..., I should always wear my helmet, and I'll try to do better. Besides, it's hard to come up with a good excuse for stupid!

Be Safe!

Pete.

Me, too. Safety glasses, lots of styles & colors, mirrored or dark tint. Plus, it gives you decent protection from rocks coming at you at 120 mph. If you want real protection, get ballistic glasses, made for soldiers & shooters. More costly, but not much.

I like the wraparound styles, since I wear contact lenses, it keeps the wind from drying my eyes too much. I can ride with the face shield open if it's warm, without squinting & blurry vision. Also reduces fatigue when I'm on long rides.

Try on different pairs; the ear pieces need to fit your face. If you wear one, the helmet pads tend to push into my head or my ears, depending on how they fit. I like a style that has straight earpieces, don't stick out too far from the side of your face, with a soft rubber end over your ear. Adjustable length earpieces are nice, too. But I find other types work, you just have to see how they fit you.

For night riding, you might want to consider a pair with clear lenses, too. Safety glasses come in both types, and I've seen some ballistic glasses in yellow, clear, smoke, mirrored, and other tints. You can find ballistic glasses in sporting goods stores (WalMart comes to mind). Safety glasses should be available in the lawn & garden section of WM right now, too.

I like paying $10 or less; I tend to destroy or lose sunglasses at the rate of 1 per month. My personal best was 4 pairs in 1 day; at the beach, body surfing with the kids. I wore $1 Store sunglasses the rest of that trip.

Oh, yeah. You can get prescription inserts for safety glasses; they clip on the inside of your frames. I'll post a photo for those who're interested.

I wear safety glasses you get at home depot, tinted and clear, they work great and they are cheap. Craig

Watch the video "Open Road" [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU]YouTube - Open Road Music Video[/ame] I use the same as the singer, 6 bucks a pair (I have 4 colors) use the clear at work (you can get 'em in "readers") Light weight very comfortable and if I do say so myself rather cool looking

Before I left for Iraq the Army issued me Oakleys, hated them. While in Iraq they were issuing Pyramex Venture II Ballistics. Really liked the way they fit and thought they would be good bike glasses. The only thing I didn't like was the plastic frames. Since being home I have found that they have other versions with metal frames, can even get built in reading glasses with plastic frames. Those are polycarb and shatterproof but don't meet ballistic requirements.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/venture2-ballistic.html has good prices on them. They also sell a lot of other safety glasses.

I wear Maui Jims as well. They are a bit more expensive, but optics are great. Doesn't hurt that I have a cheap source for them as well. Their polycarbs are now available with reading glasses that are not in my line of sight, even when looking at the dash. Love 'em.

I haven't seen anybody refer to polarised lenses (Polaroids).

These are the only lenses that will eliminate glare.

Your coloured lenses and graduated lenses only go dark or change the colour of the world without reducing the glare.

Where do I find most of my annoying glare? - off the road surface.

I think you guys top-side call it the blacktop.

Pay $20 a pair for mine. Metal frames, polycarbonate lenses.

All styles from Air Force to hippy.

Check out my photo. They're Air Force style Polaroid ®.

I like polarized; they reduce fatigue from eye strain for me. Sometimes they're not available or cost more than I want to pay when I need sunglasses.

One problem on my 1st Gen, and for some of my electronic devices, is the display screen is polarized. So the orientation of the glasses and the display has to be good, or it turns black. This is distracting when you're checking the fuel gage or the system display, or need to check the GPS. It also reveals some interesting light patterns on my windshield; looks like stress lines are highlighted in different colors.

I haven't seen anybody refer to polarised lenses (Polaroids).

These are the only lenses that will eliminate glare.

Your coloured lenses and graduated lenses only go dark or change the colour of the world without reducing the glare.

Where do I find most of my annoying glare? - off the road surface.

I think you guys top-side call it the blacktop.

Pay $20 a pair for mine. Metal frames, polycarbonate lenses.

All styles from Air Force to hippy.

Check out my photo. They're Air Force style Polaroid ®.

I like polarized; they reduce fatigue from eye strain for me. Sometimes they're not available or cost more than I want to pay when I need sunglasses.

One problem on my 1st Gen, and for some of my electronic devices, is the display screen is polarized. So the orientation of the glasses and the display has to be good, or it turns black. This is distracting when you're checking the fuel gage or the system display, or need to check the GPS. It also reveals some interesting light patterns on my windshield; looks like stress lines are highlighted in different colors.

Your problem's easy fixed Chuck.

Cut down your screen, and quit looking at all the gauges.

Enjoy the ride and the scenery instead.

:rotf:

I fully agree with cmiles, polarized lenses make a world of difference. And I do believe they are the safest option. Reducing glare on a bright day, with the sun bouncing off all the chrome pieces on cars and bikes, stops you from squinting. Giving you full field of vision. Just an opinion.

Sonny

Hi Don,

I have had several types of sunglasses but recently I have been using some from this web site: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/index.html Good prices. I now get Bifocal Safety Glasses since I need reading glasses but they sell many other choices as well as some of the big name glasses.

These are the ones that I like the best now:Radians Cheaters Bifocal Safety Glasses With Gray Lens.

Glenn

Now that I can go without my glasses, I am looking to find a good pair of sunglasses. What do most on here use?? :think: Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Don H.