IGNORED

Baja?

SilveradoCA

I've searched the forum, and all the posts on this topic seem to be years old.

The last year has been... something. At this point, I'm about one half second away from selling off everything I own (which ain't much), and pointing my bike South before winter gets here.

I have an idea that I could possibly find someplace cheap to spend a few months down in Baja; maybe ride a surfboard, catch a fish, eat a taco.

I've had discussions all across the web, but thought I'd ask here as well: has anyone ridden a big touring bike down through Baja? I'm thinking all the way to BCS - La Paz, Loreto, Todos Santos, El Pescadero. My intel says that it's probably doable taking Mex 1, which is supposedly paved to various degrees. Apparently Mex 5 has some unpaved/gravel/dirt sections. An ADV bike would probably be more sensible, but ya run what ya brung, my dad used to say.

If I can make this happen, and do so before winter, I'll leave from the Kootenay region and take the inland route South. I like to camp most of the time, but usually grab a motel once or twice a week. I'd like some ideas on where to go/what to see through the US. Was thinking to take a month to get to BCS, but all I can think of is to check out the Bonneville salt flats, Death Valley, and...? I've been to Vegas, but will probably stop there as it's en route. In particular I'd like to check out any stops/attractions/etc. related to car and motorcycle culture, or any good concerts/musical venues to hit.

How do you folks carry extra fuel on your Venture? I've heard that some places in Baja have longer legs between fuel than my RSV will go on a tank.

Any other intel, suggestions, meetups, offers of daughters in marriage? LOL

Thanks friends.

Edited by SilveradoCA

I envy you, but I have been in Mexico before. I rode my Venture down but mostly northern states except for Mazatlan and it was beautiful. Your biggest issue could be the bandits and cartel but it is immpossible to tell the difference. I would not go there during these times.

:farmer:

No idea what your carrying for a Drivers License but here in Michigan we have access to the "Enhanced" licenses and Tip and I have them. We found out that these DL's do not give access across the southern boarder. They work PERFECT for travel into Canada and back into the States but not for the Southern Boarder.. Still gotta do the old Pass Port routine down yonder..

Heyyyy,, wait a second,, we actually had a member do a, from Canada thru Mexico ride a while back.. He did a great job on reporting the full experience,, it was quite a story to follow as he was riding a 250 dollar Venture (man after my own heart)... Hold on I will see if I can find the thread...... YEP = here ya go Silverado! Hope this helps!!

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?119387-Canada-to-Cancun-on-the-250-Venture-The-full-ride-report&highlight=mexico

Yep, I remember that story well, pretty much did what you were thinking about doing. If I remember rite he left in the snow and documented the whole trip. I dont remember him having any problems with shady characters, he did have some bike issues tho. It was a great ride to follow.

Craig

I envy you, but I have been in Mexico before. I rode my Venture down but mostly northern states except for Mazatlan and it was beautiful. Your biggest issue could be the bandits and cartel but it is immpossible to tell the difference. I would not go there during these times.

:farmer:

Yep, I remember that story well, pretty much did what you were thinking about doing. If I remember rite he left in the snow and documented the whole trip. I dont remember him having any problems with shady characters, he did have some bike issues tho. It was a great ride to follow.

Craig

Tweeks, Tip and I CTFW down to Big Bend N.P. a few years ago and then did another one just this year to see what was happening about the wall in El Paso. IMHO, the climate has changed significantly (at least along the border,, thinking the Cartels aint none to happy with the U.S./Mexico relationship right now) between now and than..

Thanks for the links fellas. It seems to me I read that RR over on ADVRider, but I'll have a second look.

Driver's license? The same one I've had since I was 16. Just a regular class 5/6 (car/motorcycle). But hell, we're not even allowed to cross YOUR border without a passport anymore, so that's not an issue. (In theory... I have to get my renewal sent out this week, will probably take about 4 weeks to get back.)

How about while I'm in the USofA? If you drew a big swath from BC to Mexico through the western states, what would YOU want to see, where would YOU want to go? I assume that by the time I'm south of MT/ID, winter weather isn't much of a problem in October/early November? As long as snow isn't sticking to the ground, I'm good.

If it doesn't conflict with your planned route(s), we'd suggest the Pacific Coast Highway South of 'Frisco. Gorgeous Road, and you'd be on the Ocean side of the Highway heading down. Awesome, IF you aren't afraid of heights.~

Plenty of spots to stop, and simply suck it up. About halfway down - if we recall correctly - sits quaint San Luis Obispo (with the Hearst Castle just above it. Cost you half a day but worth it, and SLO is a good overnight stop).

Rgds, WRIDR

Thanks for the links fellas. It seems to me I read that RR over on ADVRider, but I'll have a second look.

Driver's license? The same one I've had since I was 16. Just a regular class 5/6 (car/motorcycle). But hell, we're not even allowed to cross YOUR border without a passport anymore, so that's not an issue. (In theory... I have to get my renewal sent out this week, will probably take about 4 weeks to get back.)

How about while I'm in the USofA? If you drew a big swath from BC to Mexico through the western states, what would YOU want to see, where would YOU want to go? I assume that by the time I'm south of MT/ID, winter weather isn't much of a problem in October/early November? As long as snow isn't sticking to the ground, I'm good.

My personal rule of thumb is, for CTFW living out of saddlebags and tenting it, draw a parallel line across the country from the bottom of Michigan and Sept 1 thru July 1 stay south of it if you want the best chance to not get snowed in.. I think if I were gonna do such a trip October to November I would hug the west coast, stay on the west side of the Rockies and hug the ocean.. Probably run around the west side of Mt. St. Helens, down to "The Dells" in Oregon on the Columbia, head south staying in the lower elevations, back over the coast after getting around Portland, follow as much of "1" as possible down to Stewards Point California. Ride east out of Stewards Point on Skaggs Creek road (WOWZY WOW WOW WOW = this is must do every time we get out there = its like a bicyle path thru the Red Woods - BEAUTIFUL CTFW opportunity and fresh new pavement!!) out to Geyserville. I am not much for City driving and have done Frisco several times without being to impressed so I would set my sites on going around the bottom of the Serria Nevada's and spending time in Death Valley N.P. in the coolness of the fall months when its not 120 degree's out there.. If you happen to catch the park during full moon time, pull the fuse on the headlight (or unplug it) and run running lights only = UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE!! Like riding on a different planet!!

From there I would grab Joshua Tree NP on my way down to Organ Pipe Cactus N.P. and cross into Mexico there..

I carry a couple quarts of xtra fuel strapped under my tent carrier on the back of Tweeks,, I just use empty oil containers,, when I fill em I squeeze em down to allow room for expansion.. I know Menards here has sealed fuel cans for such security but I also know that there is an after market company that sells pretty nice fuel containers that are saddle bag ready. I am positive that @VentureFar (wassup my dear brother!! Hope all is well!!) has a TON of experience with these.. Cant remember the name brand he uses but he will be able to tell you - trust VentureFar = if he says NO LEAKS no SMELLS = it is so!..

Have fun, ride safe!

Puc

To answer your question about touring the Southwest: Head to Calgary and say hi to James @VanRiver to rt 2, to rt 3 to rt 4 to I-15 at the US. James may have some suggestions for 2 lanes instead of I-15 heading south.

Regardless....

I would come down I-15 to Utah, then get off and head down to the National Parks in the Southern part of Utah. Rt 9 through Brice Canyon, Canyonlands, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, etc.. Then go down to rt 89 into Lake Powell, to 89A down to the north rim of the Grand Canyon (Rt67 from Jacob Lake), then around to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, I-40 west to rt 66, then to 68 to 163 to 95 at Searchlight, 164 to Mountain Pass at I-15. I-15 west a few to rt 127 north to Death Valley Junction. North on Rt 127 through Death Valley to rt 190 west. To rt 395 and go north. From there, hit all the California Parks with the large trees and head north to Home. To the Dales in Oregon, etc..

If I had the inclination, that's what I would do. Especially this time of year. You can have snow in some of the mountain areas in October, but what a fantastic time to travel!

Edited by videoarizona
remove bad punctuation

Gotta add something to what both Puc's and Vid/Zona's excellent route suggestions entail.

Believe it or not, THAT'S late in The Season.* IF you get more than a few miles inland on HIGHER elevations enroute to Baja, you can encounter SNOW from September onward. Stay on The Coast along higher elevations. You'll also save Time, and enjoy better roads.

*For example, even starting out up North, we recall selling ski-related advts. on Calgary broadcast outlets from early September onward. (Mind you, with The Rockies only a few miles West.)

We strongly urge getting to The Coast as soon as possible, and staying near it - except to bypass BIG cities. South of 'Frisco, there MAY be some interesting inland roads, BUT not much beats the Pacific Coast Highway, especially if The Whales are goofing around just off shore...~

Rgds, WRIDR

Speaking of Whale Watching,, here is the pathway (C Vid) for a Whale Watching spot in California one of my daughters told us about. This was after the fact of our CTFW days but still an AWESOME ride that would be TREMENDOUS to do on a scoot!! Also, I cant help but wonder if a later season scoot trip back into Shelter Cove (AMAZING spot in it self) might actually reveal some Whale sightings!!!!

Speaking of late/early season snows,,, one of the kids and I got snowed in while camping on the North Rim one year and had to wait till the after noon hours to get the scoot out of the woods - that was in mid-June.. Yellowstone also got us one time in an early September tour with the same results.. Another time Tweeks/Tip and I bumped into some hikers doing the Pacific Crest Trail on the Sonora Pass Summit. This was in late June and they had just hiked thru snow to get to us. Their plan was to have the hike finished by Sept. 1 as (their words) alot of the passes can and do snow shut starting in September = :think:,, maybe doing some investigative research on hiking the PCT and season for doing so would help in your decision making of the best route down and back during the off season brother!!

Northern U.S. (north of that line I was talking about) in the late fall is a BEAUTIFUL time to ride though if your dressed for it IMHO.. LOTS of adVenture out there even in just trying to stay warm :big-grin-emoticon:,,, DEFINITELY farr less other bikers on the road if your the type to not into sharing the road!!:big-grin-emoticon:

MSR bottle. Only smell if you over fill them then it is the outside that smells.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry my stove fuel in an MSR bottle, and am well familiar with them from my younger backpacking days.

The biggest one they make is still a hair under a litre. I feel like I'd have to carry 5 of them to make a difference a long way from anywhere?

Fully loaded, I've never seen 300Km (~180 miles) on a tank. 250 is about average; it's either climbing mountains or droning along the highway into the wind, but something always makes her a thirsty whale. Average consumption works out to about 7.5L/100Km.

I do imagine that riding speeds in Mexico would be somewhat slower, given what I've read about curvy roads and/or poor asphalt.

To answer your question about touring the Southwest: Head to Calgary and say hi to James VanRiver to rt 2, to rt 3 to rt 4 to I-15 at the US. James may have some suggestions for 2 lanes instead of I-15 heading south.

Regardless....

I would come down I-15 to Utah, then get off and head down to the National Parks in the Southern part of Utah. Rt 9 through Brice Canyon, Canyonlands, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, etc.. Then go down to rt 89 into Lake Powell, to 89A down to the north rim of the Grand Canyon (Rt67 from Jacob Lake), then around to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, I-40 west to rt 66, then to 68 to 163 to 95 at Searchlight, 164 to Mountain Pass at I-15. I-15 west a few to rt 127 north to Death Valley Junction. North on Rt 127 through Death Valley to rt 190 west. To rt 395 and go north. From there, hit all the California Parks with the large trees and head north to Home. To the Dales in Oregon, etc..

If I had the inclination, that's what I would do. Especially this time of year. You can have snow in some of the mountain areas in October, but what a fantastic time to travel!

Funny! My name is James, and I'm from Calgary originally. I have to go there in a week or so, perhaps I'll get in touch with VanRiver for a chat.

I'll check out your route on the google machine too, thanks.

My personal rule of thumb is, for CTFW living out of saddlebags and tenting it, draw a parallel line across the country from the bottom of Michigan and Sept 1 thru July 1 stay south of it if you want the best chance to not get snowed in.. I think if I were gonna do such a trip October to November I would hug the west coast, stay on the west side of the Rockies and hug the ocean.. Probably run around the west side of Mt. St. Helens, down to "The Dells" in Oregon on the Columbia, head south staying in the lower elevations, back over the coast after getting around Portland, follow as much of "1" as possible down to Stewards Point California. Ride east out of Stewards Point on Skaggs Creek road (WOWZY WOW WOW WOW = this is must do every time we get out there = its like a bicyle path thru the Red Woods - BEAUTIFUL CTFW opportunity and fresh new pavement!!) out to Geyserville. I am not much for City driving and have done Frisco several times without being to impressed so I would set my sites on going around the bottom of the Serria Nevada's and spending time in Death Valley N.P. in the coolness of the fall months when its not 120 degree's out there.. If you happen to catch the park during full moon time, pull the fuse on the headlight (or unplug it) and run running lights only = UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE!! Like riding on a different planet!!

From there I would grab Joshua Tree NP on my way down to Organ Pipe Cactus N.P. and cross into Mexico there..

I carry a couple quarts of xtra fuel strapped under my tent carrier on the back of Tweeks,, I just use empty oil containers,, when I fill em I squeeze em down to allow room for expansion.. I know Menards here has sealed fuel cans for such security but I also know that there is an after market company that sells pretty nice fuel containers that are saddle bag ready. I am positive that VentureFar (wassup my dear brother!! Hope all is well!!) has a TON of experience with these.. Cant remember the name brand he uses but he will be able to tell you - trust VentureFar = if he says NO LEAKS no SMELLS = it is so!..

Have fun, ride safe!

Puc

Thanks Puc, your description of riding in the moonlight through the desert is exactly what I'm looking for.

What does CTFW mean?

Gotta add something to what both Puc's and Vid/Zona's excellent route suggestions entail.

Believe it or not, THAT'S late in The Season.* IF you get more than a few miles inland on HIGHER elevations enroute to Baja, you can encounter SNOW from September onward. Stay on The Coast along higher elevations. You'll also save Time, and enjoy better roads.

*For example, even starting out up North, we recall selling ski-related advts. on Calgary broadcast outlets from early September onward. (Mind you, with The Rockies only a few miles West.)

We strongly urge getting to The Coast as soon as possible, and staying near it - except to bypass BIG cities. South of 'Frisco, there MAY be some interesting inland roads, BUT not much beats the Pacific Coast Highway, especially if The Whales are goofing around just off shore...~

Rgds, WRIDR

My basic plan was to head down inland, and return, if I return, up the coast. Hammer through the mountains to get to the deserts.

That's simply because I'm from Calgary, and have lived and played in the mountains most of my life. I've seen parts of the mountain National Parks that few ever do.

I've also lived on the West Coast, twice. Once in Vancouver, and once on North Vancouver Island. I've never been to a proper desert, because Medicine Hat and Osoyoos don't make the cut, for me at least.

At this point I'm not sure I can even afford this trip, but I don't believe I can afford to put it off any longer either. It's only partly about riding a motorcycle someplace warm.

If it takes that long to get myself positioned to go, such that the likelihood of snow is significant, I can stage at my sister's place in Surrey and leave from there, heading down the coast. It's not a big deal, just incorporates more of a lot of stuff I've already lived more or less.

Thanks Puc, your description of riding in the moonlight through the desert is exactly what I'm looking for.

What does CTFW mean?

Death Valley in the moonlight of a full moon = WOWZY WOW WOW WOW unforgettable!!

CTFW = Chasing The Front Wheel and/or some dirivitive thereof :big-grin-emoticon: