IGNORED

Yukon XL to Sierra

videoarizona

Well the time came for me to change vehicles. Last week, got hit in the rear while stopped at a light in Tucson. As usual, slight damage to the Yukon but the Ford lost the front end due to my hitch doing a number on him. Been hit 3 times in 15 years in rear...each time truck was stopped. Great frame on that truck!

While at the dealer getting an estimate to replace the bumper mount, saw a 2015 Sierra 1500 Denali. Those of you who know me, know I speak "auto speak". My bikes talk to me all the time. So did the Yukon. Well..this pearly white Denali was whispering for me to take it for a ride....so I did. In the rain yet! My mistake. I now own that truck!

Can't say anything bad about the Yukon XL SLT. It has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. 219K miles, most of it crossing the country with a 2 ton sailboat on the back. Never replaced the brakes, alternator, water pump, AC compressor...nope....nothing. Did replace the front wheel bearings at 206K miles...but that was it. Basically all original....Still running great and getting 18 mpgs average!

20180823_161524.jpg

20190312_123244.jpg

Yowser. This is an interesting vehicle for sure. No where near as comfortable as the Yukon XL, but that was a luxury SUV. This baby is a TRUCK! 6.2ltr, 8 speed that hauls!

Plus, what a kick to look down and see this...

20190315_105400.jpg

I was able to hold over 30 mpg's for a few miles until traffic got it the way...

I also found this site. If you own a 2014 to 2018 Sierra or Silverado...there may be some really neat tricks that aren't in the book that your truck will do. I found some on mine!

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/212121-discovered-features-you-may-not-know-about/

Will always be thankful to the Yukon XL for safely hauling my butt all over the country. We've been through a lot together...sniff...

But now it's time to turn the page and move on....crossing fingers the Sierra will last as long as the Yukon. And hope the PO got all the bugs worked out too!

20190314_160101.jpg

Now I have to figure out all these do dads and electronic "stuff". Geesh...this truck does everything except brush my teeth!

Edited by videoarizona
added a thought

Holy Cow Vaz, you are killing me. I as well have been looking at trucks identical to what you just bought, I just can't find one with the payload I prefer. I as well want the Gasser 6.2, 8 speed, (I might upgrade my Travel Trailer) in a couple years.

Well, dang, I am jealous. That is just beautiful. love the color as well. I'm still chugging with my 05 YukonXL, 150000 miles, still meets all my current needs, just been driving it 12 years.

PS: glad to hear you are ok after accident.

My current ride. See the irony.

truck.JPG

Edited by SpencerPJ

Holy Cow Vaz, you are killing me. I as well have been looking at trucks identical to what you just bought, I just can't find one with the payload I prefer. I as well want the Gasser 6.2, 8 speed, (I might upgrade my Travel Trailer) in a couple years.

Well, dang, I am jealous. That is just beautiful. love the color as well. I'm still chugging with my 05 YukonXL, 150000 miles, still meets all my current needs, just been driving it 12 years.

PS: glad to hear you are ok after accident.

My current ride. See the irony.

Spence,

Ah man...I could have sent some stuff your way. Like the towing mirrors, brake controller, rear grocery slider cover and more. But see you have the same mirrors!

I gave all the extra stuff to the dealer to include with the truck...My bad...I should have asked the forum to see if anyone needed anything I might have.

:bang head:

Yea...nice wheels these Yukons! Take care of her and she will last forever.

BTW, I was towing my trailer at 6500lbs. Only issue was Oklahoma, I-40 westbound. Heavy head winds and uphill all the way west. 3rd gear at 62mph.....but she did that all day! So unless you go above that weight in your next trailer, your Yukon may still fit the bill and tow it fine.

Only reason I traded her in was that Sierra Denali was whispering my name. Plus, they gave me one heck of a deal as well....

We need to have an RV week somewhere with the members of the forum who have RVs!

Hmmmm....

OH...thanks for the thoughts.

Spence,

Ah man...I could have sent some stuff your way. Like the towing mirrors, brake controller, rear grocery slider cover and more. But see you have the same mirrors!

I gave all the extra stuff to the dealer to include with the truck...My bad...I should have asked the forum to see if anyone needed anything I might have.

:bang head:

Yea...nice wheels these Yukons! Take care of her and she will last forever.

BTW, I was towing my trailer at 6500lbs. Only issue was Oklahoma, I-40 westbound. Heavy head winds and uphill all the way west. 3rd gear at 62mph.....but she did that all day! So unless you go above that weight in your next trailer, your Yukon may still fit the bill and tow it fine.

Only reason I traded her in was that Sierra Denali was whispering my name. Plus, they gave me one heck of a deal as well....

We need to have an RV week somewhere with the members of the forum who have RVs!

Hmmmm....

OH...thanks for the thoughts.

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW :scared:,,, NICE VAz,, VERY VERY NICE!!!:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:

As far as the lop eared VR varmint RVin meeting of whats left of the minds,,, "If you build it, they will come!!!":97: :fishin::witch_brew::Im not listening to:draming::fatsmiley::photographing:

Spence,

I could have sent some stuff your way.

Thanks for the thought, I have all that, lol, and my next truck will have the built in brake controller :happy34:

Spence,

I was towing my trailer at 6500lbs. Heavy head winds and uphill

That's my problem now, the hills, but then again maybe I should slow down...

Spence,

That sounds great, hell I'll come your way when #2 kid is gone in 2 years. I was hoping to maybe take it to MD and meet everyone, but dang the summer filled up fast on me, and doesn't look like it. Around here, you need to book stuff 4-6 months out to get a decent camp site in a state park, and boondocking is not on the radar... yet.

I need to get a portable generator, moma demands AC and micro, and you know how that goes...

Thanks for the thought, I have all that, lol, and my next truck will have the built in brake controller :happy34:

That's my problem now, the hills, but then again maybe I should slow down...

That sounds great, hell I'll come your way when #2 kid is gone in 2 years. I was hoping to maybe take it to MD and meet everyone, but dang the summer filled up fast on me, and doesn't look like it. Around here, you need to book stuff 4-6 months out to get a decent camp site in a state park, and boondocking is not on the radar... yet.

I need to get a portable generator, moma demands AC and micro, and you know how that goes...

I've saved my pennies over the past year and got 4 out of 5 things I thought I needed for boondocking. My Momma wants to go to National Parks and they fill up years in advance, so we are planning on boondocking just outside the parks then drive truck in like a normal tourist!

1: Generator

2: Solar panel

3: Easy start for AC.

4: Pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries, GC2's

5: Led interior lighs

I got #1 and #3 and #4 and #5 . Not installed yet on #3 ...but I caught both #1 and #3 on sale so had to pull the plug...:mo money:

Honda and Champion have really good reps and the new gens coming into Costco and Sam's Club (Yamaha engines) seem to be good as well. The reason for #3 is to be able to run a quiet, portable 2kw gennie and use the 13.5kw AC! Yeppers....MicroAir makes a unit that is worth it's weight in electricity! Video below. Not a capacitor, rather a unit that learns your system's start up procedure then starts your AC with the least amount of current draw. Will NOT harm the AC. You still can't run both AC and the microwave at the same time on a 2kw gennie, but that's easy to fix. Turn off AC when it's time to cook!

They have install instructions for almost every brand of AC unit.....had one for my Advent brand.

The solar panels...well...I looked at Harbor Freight. They have a 4 panel, 100 watt complete system for $200. But I didn't want to deal with 4 panels. Decided to go with a suitcase 2 panel system for $100 more. Also very, very good reviews. I'm still saving pennies for this one:

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-foldable-solar-suitcase-w-voyager/

The batteries. I had 1, 12 volt group 24 deep cycle but it would only last one night if I needed the heat. And it's not a true deep cycle. So out the door it went.

Interstate and Trojan are the best for GC2 batts (golf cart). 2-6 volts to get 12 volts, and they are true deep cycle...and have at least 200 amps of power. VS 60 to 70 on a typical car/marine/rv battery. Since you should only draw down the battery to no less than 50%, that only leaves 30 to 35 amps of power available before you hurt the battery. If you know this stuff, apology...but if not: Here is a simple example... Typical "hybrid" (not true deep cycle) type deep cycle marine/rv battery specs...12 volts, 750 cranking amps. Divide 750 by 12 equals 62.5 amps available for continuous, deep cycle use. Less 50% discharge...31 amps. Each 12 volt light filament draws 1 amp (10 watts). 12 lights turned on equals 12 amps her hour used. Doing the math is simplistic at best cause there are other factors involved but it's easy to see just using lights and radio, along with the little current the fridge uses, the gas alarms...and it adds up. My 2 6 volt GC batts give out 210 amps. 50% discharge leaves 105 amps for use. That's typically 2 or 3 days without heater running! Add a solar panel during the day and you can go a week. Change over to LED lights inside and you can add another day! I found my Interstates at Costco, but then ran into a small company in Tucson who made up my battery cables and he would have come very close to matching my Costco buy with his Trojans! Yikes! More power for just a tad more bux! So check your small local guys...Enough of the boring stuff..

Trojan has the best rep and about the best amp for the bux.....Trojan T-105.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trojan-T-105-6-Volt-Golf-Cart-Battery-battery-RV-marine-solar-deep-cycle-/173729309585

I found the interstate at Costco. 210 amp hours. I bought my Honda 2200i at Camping World on sale for $850. BTW, Camping World store will match their own print/internet pricing. That's how I got such a good deal on the gennie. The Champion 2Kw are around $500 and so are the 2kws at Costco and Sams Club.

2 GC2's on my tongue. Battery shut off switch on far left...mounted on a cover. Second pic shows the switch.

20190309_171432.jpg20190309_171450.jpg

Last thought: We have a number of 7 degree grade hills, 4 to 7 miles long in Arizona. With the Yukon, I would go up them at 45mph, flashers on, in 2nd gear...with no problems. I do turn off the propane on the fridge when doing so as the grade is steeper than the fridge is supposed to run at (3 to 6 degrees tilts) and I don't want the heater in the fridge to overheat and burn down my trailer. The RV fridge will last a few hours and stay at the temps needed without cooling so I'm good. Plus I fill with frozen water bottles to help anyway.

I'm done...again apologies if you know all this stuff...

Come on down in the winter, November through March. Good places to camp around here.

Edited by videoarizona
add pics, add info

The Sierra 1500 SLT with HD trailer package and 2wheel drive... and the equivalent Ford and Dodge can do 2K or more pounds payload. Plus are rated for around 11 to 12k towing.

My Sierra Denali 4wd is rated for 11K towing. Factory hitch is rated for 1K tongue and 12K towing with WD Hitch. 8k and 800lbs with standard hitch. My payload is 2200lbs I believe.

Wow, fantastic information :beer:

I know a little about the above stuff, enough to know that I'd probably want a bigger trailer, and 4-6, 6v batteries. I follow a few guys and their adventures in Quartzsite. I don't know if I could ever get my wife to that limit, like ever... That softstart is a must with your set-up, but it looks fairly easy to install. I can't find a Sierra 1500 like yours with a payload over 1600 around here, I'm even considering a 2500. Some guys really tout their Ford 150s with v6 ecoboost turbo, I just don't think that is for me, I'll take a healthy v8 every day. (although, you do know you are supposed to run Premium in that, yikes, many don't unless they are towing) I never thought of turning off Fridge on steep grades. It would be nice if the made a switch that did that automatically, something with a built in hysteresis and time delay.

Meanwhile, now I have riding fever and camping fever. It might get up to 50 today, but there is a lot of Bball to watch. Enjoy that truck, it's beautiful.

No B.S. at all... we'd buy that Truck merely to climb in, and lovingly look at that gorgeous Dash all day long.

Can't even come close to remembering how long it's been since we had a Dash loaded with those Gauges!!!

It's right up there with the Good Old Days' tiny no-draft front door windows. Gotta be real OLD to recall those!~

Hardeehar! We can hear our younger Guys going: "Whut the H*ll's he talking about??"

BEAUTIFUL STUFF. Envy, envy, etc...

Rgds, WRIDR

LOL

Only issue was Oklahoma, I-40 westbound. Heavy head winds and uphill all the way west
I lived out there 20 years and didnt see no up hill. They must be new. The winds I can believe. I did just do a trip out to Montana from Fla with a friend in a big U-haul, rite down 40 to Amarillo. No hills still I could tell but the winds still are killer. So much so they now have dozens of them big windmills for electric.

Sorry to hear about your accident. But congrats on the new find.

Wow, fantastic information :beer:

I know a little about the above stuff, enough to know that I'd probably want a bigger trailer, and 4-6, 6v batteries. I follow a few guys and their adventures in Quartzsite. I don't know if I could ever get my wife to that limit, like ever... That softstart is a must with your set-up, but it looks fairly easy to install. I can't find a Sierra 1500 like yours with a payload over 1600 around here, I'm even considering a 2500. Some guys really tout their Ford 150s with v6 ecoboost turbo, I just don't think that is for me, I'll take a healthy v8 every day. (although, you do know you are supposed to run Premium in that, yikes, many don't unless they are towing) I never thought of turning off Fridge on steep grades. It would be nice if the made a switch that did that automatically, something with a built in hysteresis and time delay.

Meanwhile, now I have riding fever and camping fever. It might get up to 50 today, but there is a lot of Bball to watch. Enjoy that truck, it's beautiful.

More on the Easy Start:

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

Auto Fridge thingie:

https://www.arprv.com/products.php

Unless you get a heavy toy hauler, then you don't need a 2500 truck. The toy hauler can also do 4 batteries. But seriously, with 2 6 volt batts, the above EasyStart and a solar suitcase and a small gennie, you should be good. You can run AC when needed and don't have to find room and carry the extra batteries. Seriously, I had a heck of a time fitting 2 6 volts on my trailer. Most trailer tongues can take 2 batts...but where would you put the other two? I thought long and hard about all this before I bought the 2014 Coleman 249RB. it's light enough to load up and tow, enough storage for us to last a week somewhere without a store or campground and has all the amenities (except hiding a scoot) that we would need.

As far as finding a GMC Sierra with hauling. Here is an example of what's available in my area. I used Edmunds because the site allows you to go down the left side selecting what features you want then they show what's available. It's a good way to compare.

I chose the Sierra 1500 in SLT or Denali trim, 4X4, tow package. And got these choices.

https://www.edmunds.com/inventory/srp.html?extcolor=%22White%20Frost%20Tricoat%7C245%2C243%2C241%22%2C%22Onyx%20Black%7C0%2C0%2C0%22%2C%22Summit%20White%7C255%2C255%2C255%22&cgf=%2210%2C000lb%2B%20Towing%20Capacity%22%2CAWD%2F4WD&inventorytype=used%2Ccpo&make=gmc&model=sierra-1500&submodelid=Crew%20Cab&trim=slt%2Cdenali&drivetrain=four%20wheel%20drive

Try this for your area....Almost all SLE's, SLT's and Denalis can be found with the HD trailer package. This includes the engine and trannie cooling, integrated brake controller, better rear end ratio, stiffer rear springs, etc.. You can confirm the HD towing package as the brake controller is on far left dash above the lights and 4X4 controller.

That would be my recommendation. I really like the 6.2ltr...but yes it does suggest premium fuel. My used truck was used a lot in Mexico and their premium is not very good. Pemex doesn't have a good reputation. I've run 3 tankfuls of Costco premium so far and she is beginning to smooth out.

The 5.3ltr with the 8 speed trannie would also be a good choice. It will easily pull 7000 pounds.

Warnings: The Ford Ecoboost Boost V6 is a good motor, but to climb those big hills you will be near max rpm the whole way for both turbos to really do their job. Supposedly the motor is designed for that. Time will tell. Ram's new trucks are very nice. But after living in Chrysler land for 30 years...I just don't trust their interiors anymore. The Yukon XL was my fist GMC product. I'm sold on them. Yea, they have their problems, especially the 2014 and 2015 model trucks with trannies, but if you find one that shifts well and was well taken care of, it should last forever with that big V8 just chugging along.

These guys are pretty cool in their testing. Go up and down the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado. Watch the current reviews of the 1/2 tons, then search their older videos for more.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2016/02/2016-chevy-silverado-5-3l-v8-vs-2016-gmc-sierra-6-2l-v8-mega-comparison-video-preview/

Ah man, that page isn't available anymore. Maybe if you search on the site you will find the review since it was made in 2016 and is perfect for what you are looking for.

Found it:

Anyway....enough stuff to wet the appetite...enjoy!

Edited by videoarizona
update

Wow Vaz,

That the researcher you are :happy34:

Loved the video. I still think I like your engine better than the 5.3, so many decisions.

I've used Edmonds, Cars.com, search out 200 miles. I'm also hoping (want) a lighter color interior again, and black is such the norm around here.

Around here, many those you listed are not HD package at all. Very few. It has gotten to the point that I ask for a picture of the payload sticker. I will admit, I've started my quest looking at 2016 and newer.

But you mentioned this, that can help, about the brake controller top left = HD package?

I'm not in a huge rush, but thanks for the information.

also, I'm going to see what the norm is in the RV forum with their fridge. Your approach of turning off a few hours is least expensive.

also, I'm going to see what the norm is in the RV forum with their fridge. Your approach of turning off a few hours is least expensive.

That's going to be loaded Q&A's for sure!! Kind of like what brand oil do you use!

I'm going to get that fridge shut off switch after I get caught up with mounting the MicroAir and buying the solar suitcase. For now, turning off the fridge before going up big hills is easy and cheap!

2016 Sierra 1500 specs:

Crew Cab Short Box

4.3L 6-speed auto 3.42 1770 7000 4WD

5.3L 6-speed auto 3.08 1730 6100

5.3L 6-speed auto 3.42 1730 9100

5.3L 6-speed auto 3.73 2130 10,800

5.3L 8-speed auto 3.42 1720 9100

5.3L 8-speed auto 3.42 2090 10,800

6.2L 8-speed auto 3.23 1690 9100

6.2L 8-speed auto 3.42 2010 11,700

Crew Cab Standard Box

5.3L 6-speed auto 3.08 1690 6100 4WD

5.3L 6-speed auto 3.42 1690 9100

5.3L 6-speed auto 3.73 2080 10,800

5.3L 8-speed auto 3.42 1660 9100

5.3L 8-speed auto 3.42 2030 10,700

6.2L 8-speed auto 3.23 1650 9100

6.2L 8-speed auto 3.423 1970 11,700

Max payload for 2016 looks like 2090 pounds for the 5.3ltr.

Max for the 6.2 is 2010lbs.

That's quite a lot actually.

Finding one with the 3.73 gears is the trick. Most salespeople don't get it, it is rarely published information. There are websites that 'decode' your vin#, with limited accuracy. It still boils down to asking a salesperson to snap a picture of the yellow sticker in drivers door that state the carry capacity (ie payload). Those published payloads are before any options are added, and each option deducts from the payload. I'll keep looking, one day I'll hear that whisper :)

Thanks again for all this great information.

Finding one with the 3.73 gears is the trick. Most salespeople don't get it, it is rarely published information. There are websites that 'decode' your vin#, with limited accuracy. It still boils down to asking a salesperson to snap a picture of the yellow sticker in drivers door that state the carry capacity (ie payload). Those published payloads are before any options are added, and each option deducts from the payload. I'll keep looking, one day I'll hear that whisper :)

Thanks again for all this great information.

I decided against the 3.73 rear end. Figured with the 8 speed trannie, I wouldn't need it. I'm at 3.43 and just fine with that. Plus I love the mpg's when not towing! BTW, if I floor that big V8, there is the famous GMC pause while the system thinks about it, then she kicks in. Whoa. That is one quick truck...let me tell you.

Yes, if you see that brake controller on the upper left on the earlier models, in the center console but the drivers vent for the 2019's. That indicates the built in (integrated) trailer towing package. That usually includes the coolers, the HD rear spring/shock the larger rear end and all the built in's for towing. The trailer sway is built in with the stabilitrac and traction control. Not to sure about that though as it's supposed to brake the individual wheels and /or reduce engine torque to reduce sway. I'm old school...if trailer sways, I floor it and pull her back in line! That sved my bacon when a tractor rig went by me flat out downhill in Pennsylvania and the boat started to dance. I floored the Yukon and the boat pulled right back in line....slowed down and changed my shorts.

:biker:

Edited by videoarizona
add

:thumbsup2:

Good information, and I'm sure she is plenty quick :)

Fortunately I have not had a sway issue ever with boat or trailers, but I would do the same on open road. Once I thought the trailer was going to sway a bit, I bumped the brake controller, tightened up my line quickly. I'll be interested in chatting after you have owned several months, pulled trailer etc, for feedback. A friend has the Ford, and glows about it, but I hear the Chevy's have a nicer ride. I actually hear Dodge has the best ride, and I do like the Dodge interior, I'm old old Mopar lover, but just green with today's Dodge products. Something will whisper to me one day...