IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

Update !! He accepted the $500 will pick up in a few weeks. Get ready !! Will need everyone's help.

xmas comes early for me !!

Yayyyyy!!! Now get ready to spend lots of time and money on it!! The more you put into it the bigger the rewards! You will find a wealth of information here and lots of advice (some of it actually being good) here! It will be well worth your while to pony up the $12.00 yearly dues here as you won't meet a finer bunch of misfits than here!! We are more than a website, we are FAMILY here!!!

Just take one thing at a time and we will be glad to help you out!!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I hadn't of timed out cause of health, wouldn't have had a wife and 4 kids to provide for so I was busy splittin cases on resell's back when I started riding these sweethearts and knew what I know now about these bikes (thanks to my friends here on VR = special thanks to VenturousRandy for all the time he put into hammering out gear ratio's and educating me on this :happy34:), I would have grabbed one like you are buying, pulled the engine, split the cases and put in the updated hardened shim(s) to cure the 2nd gear issue and then proceeded to procure and install a gearset out of a Gen 2 to give me a lower 1st and higher 5th.. I have a solid gut feeling that my good friend Randy REALLY had it nailed and would have LOVED to give his hard work in RnD a run for the money!! :happy65::happy34:

On the other hand though, it really is a shame that Mom Yam didn't recall ALL 1st Gens sold up to the final fix that came in 85.. I know,, probably would have cost us "buy em cheap with no 2nd gear at 30k miles and then chase em out to 250,000 by short shifting" types in the end BUT, I still cant help but wonder if having done so might just of created a REAL Wing :stickpoke::stickpoke:if they had done so...

IMHO, once the news gets out that there are major motor issues it is just a matter of time before the malady starts effecting sales.. Especially in todays day and age with social media.. Had the "Net" been around back then, I really wonder if our beloved Ventures would not have went the way of the Cavalcade if Mom Yam hid from the issue and only addressed it on a non-recall status like she did.

Not complaining AT ALL though cause I REALLY have enjoyed the 100's of thousand of basically problem free and no cost touring it all did for me and my family but it still was not a good thing for the brand IMHO ..

Yayyyyy!!! Now get ready to spend lots of time and money on it!! The more you put into it the bigger the rewards! You will find a wealth of information here and lots of advice (some of it actually being good) here! It will be well worth your while to pony up the $12.00 yearly dues here as you won't meet a finer bunch of misfits than here!! We are more than a website, we are FAMILY here!!!

Just take one thing at a time and we will be glad to help you out!!

Thanx. $12 yearly is peanuts with all the professional help available, or I might clean her up, change fluids, rebuild carbs, clean gas tank and take her for a spin, either way, I'm happy I've found this site. You guys appear to be nice and very willing to help. How do I pay my fee?

Thanx. $12 yearly is peanuts with all the professional help available, or I might clean her up, change fluids, rebuild carbs, clean gas tank and take her for a spin, either way, I'm happy I've found this site. You guys appear to be nice and very willing to help. How do I pay my fee?

Top line, forth from the left = "MEMBERSHIP", click on that and pay thru Paypal (as I recall,, been a while).. Or:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/payments.php

Or,, get with @Freebird,,, the Boss will set cha right up!:thumbsup:

Top line, forth from the left = "MEMBERSHIP", click on that and pay thru Paypal (as I recall,, been a while).. Or:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/payments.php

Or,, get with Freebird,,, the Boss will set cha right up!:thumbsup:

Okay thanx, so based on the pic of my future bike I posted, this is an 83 royale? How is the royale different from the venture? And is this a royale for sure ?

Okay thanx, so based on the pic of my future bike I posted, this is an 83 royale? How is the royale different from the venture? And is this a royale for sure ?

My Blonde was the Royale,, only one I ever had. A full Royale had all the goodies ( Electronic Cruise, CB, Intercom, AM/FM/Cassette, onboard compressor for the boingers, dash with gear indicator to name a few) and included "Royale" emblems where the Standards were basic bikes.. If you had a picture of the dash we could tell you whether or not it was a Royale for sure. I could snap a quick pic of the dash on my Standard for you if you would like something to compare with but basically, the Royale had an extra "window" (or two,, trying to remember if there was also a difference in check mode windows too or something on my Royale).. Just thought of something, the Royales also had the radio/CB/Intercom controls up above the clutch perch,, gonna go back and look at your pics and see if I can see them... Maybe a quick way to tell.

I don't believe the 83s had the CB standard.

I had an 83 standard and an 83 royale. The royale had the CLASS and a radio, but i don't think they did CBs from the factory until 84 or 85. I would have needed a whole new harness to put a cb in my 83 royale

I don't believe the 83s had the CB standard.

I had an 83 standard and an 83 royale. The royale had the CLASS and a radio, but i don't think they did CBs from the factory until 84 or 85. I would have needed a whole new harness to put a cb in my 83 royale

Very good chance of that, my Blond Royale was an 84 and it did have all the goodies including the CB (I think I still have the CB out of it in a box somewhere) but like Cha said here, that may have had it's start in 84. I am also not sure on the colors. All my 83's have been Maroon in color and I am not sure that they even offered Blonde in 83. @Chaharly, was your 83 a Blonde (Alevia Gold or something like that I think was the actual color). Definitely got us some Yamaha history lessons happening here :thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

Geez guys, has any tried to see the badging more sympathetically? Geezers arent known for this..

Like an identity crisis! Geezers ARE known for this so even a geezer bike could share that quality..

It wants to be a MK! Now why would the puny little brother, already having better handling, having the more comfortable seat and being wayyy faster ever want something like this?

It wants to be bigger, better, faster? Answered above..

It wishes it could pick up the chicks that the bigger, better, faster brother does? Perhaps this is why Yamaha slowed the MK2 down, being a bike designed to haul chickens - a farm bike of sorts?

It would like to have more room for chick shoes, slacks, makeup kits, and maybe a mirror with light? A girly bike? Wouldn't know,, never owned one..

Or travel further with fewer LT’s of fuel, in more comfort? Same size tank. Even if there was a difference, if ridden to potential, faster little brother MK1 would always have plenty of distance between the two to stop, get fuel, smoke a cigar, go peee,, have a snack, refill water jug hangin on his side, check tent on back for floppin and then take back off in front of the pack.

Like maybe have the faded blue fast looking chick magnet appeal of big brother? Hmm Speaking of "blue", notice all the above was written in blue = in honor of my friend/brother = YammerDan, who had some wild eyed idea that blue was fastest,, this is one thing that DanL' and I never agreed on or proved one way or the other,,, all good though we remained good friends and still are..

Gear heads with little empathy!

How's that for empathy Patch?:big-grin-emoticon:

Very good chance of that, my Blond Royale was an 84 and it did have all the goodies including the CB (I think I still have the CB out of it in a box somewhere) but like Cha said here, that may have had it's start in 84. I am also not sure on the colors. All my 83's have been Maroon in color and I am not sure that they even offered Blonde in 83. @Chaharly, was your 83 a Blonde (Alevia Gold or something like that I think was the actual color). Definitely got us some Yamaha history lessons happening here :thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

Yessir both of my 83s were blondies

Yessir both of my 83s were blondies

Wayyy cool ya lop eared 1st Gen ridin varmint,, WAYYY COOL! Was just educatin myself by taking a peek in the clubs "History" section and reading thru the "color" section therein.. Found out the Blonde was one of the colors offered for 83's too,, NICE!! Something that has me puzzled now though,, according to VR records there, a solid maroon 83 like 5 of my 6 MK1's have been was NOT offered :scratchchin:,, just the two tone maroon (cant recall what the actual colors were there but I have seen numerous 2 tone maroons in real life - never had one though = matter of fact, one of the attendees at The Dalles rally in Oregon we made was riding one) was offered.. Only solid, non-two tone listed is Black :scratchchin::confused24::confused24:

YammerDan would have fist bumped ya for that comment brother!!:happy34:

One of the guys at the International in Alabama had one that was absolutely AMAZING,,, DEFINITELY one heck of purdy machine Cha!!!:happy34:

Oppssss,,, my bad,,, his was the later model MK2,,,, still a wayyyy purdy, well taken care of machine in its own right though!!DSCN5703.JPGDSCN5702.JPGDSCN5701.JPGDSCN5700.JPGDSCN5699.JPGDSCN5698.JPGDSCN5697.JPG

On the MK1 ('83 - '85) the CB was a factory option for the Royale. There were actually two different ones that were available depending on which manufacturer they bought from. The CB became standard with the Royales in 1986.

The main way you can tell if it is a Royale beside the badging is the CLASS (Air leveling system) module. The Standard Venture had Schrader valves to adjust the air suspension whereas the Royale had an onboard computer-controlled compressor. It only works with the ignition on the accessory position, you can not adjust it on the fly.

The Royals and the Standard were the same basic bike, the difference was the bells and whistles like the audio system, the CLASS, and the CB. Also, to my knowledge, all of the blondes were Royales only because I have never seen a blonde standard...

Good luck with your Venture, the first issue you will most likely encounter is the carbs being all gunked up which is going to be your most expensive repair as they are a very complex carb. There are several different theories on how to fix them, the proper way is a complete disassembly with new parts. There is an excellent video DVD out there made by a man by the name of Damon Ferilino (sp) that covers the whole process to include the proper way to sync and adjust the richness using a CO sniffer. There is a method known as the "Shotgun Method" which many people have used to clear some of the gunk which is somewhat effective. Many people advocate the use of an additive called Seafoam on a regular basis. The second issue you will encounter is the ignition system with a multitude of things to check. Getting a good spark on all of the cylinders is key, we have several members very knowledgeable on the system as well as downloadable factory service manuals, and technical writeups by members. The third issue is the charging system, but if your stator goes out, unlike Goldwings which have to literally have the engine removed and disassembled to get to, the Venture's stator is somewhat easily removed on the bike.

Keep us posted!!!

On the MK1 ('83 - '85) the CB was a factory option for the Royale. There were actually two different ones that were available depending on which manufacturer they bought from. The CB became standard with the Royales in 1986.

The main way you can tell if it is a Royale beside the badging is the CLASS (Air leveling system) module. The Standard Venture had Schrader valves to adjust the air suspension whereas the Royale had an onboard computer-controlled compressor. It only works with the ignition on the accessory position, you can not adjust it on the fly.

The Royals and the Standard were the same basic bike, the difference was the bells and whistles like the audio system, the CLASS, and the CB. Also, to my knowledge, all of the blondes were Royales only because I have never seen a blonde standard...

Good luck with your Venture, the first issue you will most likely encounter is the carbs being all gunked up which is going to be your most expensive repair as they are a very complex carb. There are several different theories on how to fix them, the proper way is a complete disassembly with new parts. There is an excellent video DVD out there made by a man by the name of Damon Ferilino (sp) that covers the whole process to include the proper way to sync and adjust the richness using a CO sniffer. There is a method known as the "Shotgun Method" which many people have used to clear some of the gunk which is somewhat effective. Many people advocate the use of an additive called Seafoam on a regular basis. The second issue you will encounter is the ignition system with a multitude of things to check. Getting a good spark on all of the cylinders is key, we have several members very knowledgeable on the system as well as downloadable factory service manuals, and technical writeups by members. The third issue is the charging system, but if your stator goes out, unlike Goldwings which have to literally have the engine removed and disassembled to get to, the Venture's stator is somewhat easily removed on the bike.

Keep us posted!!!

thank a bunch for this info. I found another pic on his ad that reveals royale emblem. I'm 2 hrs from the bike and can only get to see it on my vacation time in a few weeks. I'm really excited! Here's another pic.

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

thank a bunch for this info. I found another pic on his ad that reveals royale emblem. I'm 2 hrs from the bike and can only get to see it on my vacation time in a few weeks. I'm really excited! Here's another pic.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry,, I just stark ravin CRAZY when I see a gorgeous 1st Gen like that being RESCUED!!! :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

No CB but she definitely got the Class Controls and emblem - ROYALE SHE IS!!!:thumbsup2:

Keep us posted!!!

Sheesh Bongo,, your wife know you been cheatin on her with a Motorcycle all these years :Laugh::Laugh::Laugh::thumbsup2::hurts:

I see it has some aftermarket goodies on it like the driving lights and those chrome inserts on the engine covers...

This is the part I really enjoy. The good news is it appears to have been stored inside too. I've restored many goldwings but this will be my first venture and I think it's a gorgeous machine !!

In looking over the pictures, you might be surprised how little "restoration" she will need.

I'm beginning to think a good clean up, carb clean up, pull the plug wires and plugs and redo, new fluids all around....and she might be good to go!

Oh...new tires too....and clean the brake calipers, and.....

Shoot...ok...restoration it is!

Guess what I'm saying is don't be surprised if she doesn't take much work. She is a Yamaha Venture, after all....

:beer:

Edited by videoarizona
add

In looking over the pictures, you might be surprised how little "restoration" she will need.

I'm beginning to think a good clean up, carb clean up, pull the plug wires and plugs and redo, new fluids all around....and she might be good to go!

Oh...new tires too....and clean the brake calipers, and.....

Shoot...ok...restoration it is!

Guess what I'm saying is don't be surprised if she doesn't take much work. She is a Yamaha Venture, after all....

:beer:

I was thinking the same. Might have to soak gas tank too . I'm curious to see how many miles she has!

I was thinking the same. Might have to soak gas tank too . I'm curious to see how many miles she has!

If you pull the seat,, you will find the sending unit "trap door" on the top of the tank = couple bolts and BINGO = PLENTY of room to look right into the inside of the tank to see what your dealing with.. Dont forget to either rub the roof with a finger tip or take a peek with mirror at the roof of the tank for stalagtites of rust there too.. It's amazing how little bit of rust dust that even the best of the best inline filters can not mitigate, that it takes to really mess up a very expensive carb overhaul...

If you pull the seat,, you will find the sending unit "trap door" on the top of the tank = couple bolts and BINGO = PLENTY of room to look right into the inside of the tank to see what your dealing with.. Dont forget to either rub the roof with a finger tip or take a peek with mirror at the roof of the tank for stalagtites of rust there too.. It's amazing how little bit of rust dust that even the best of the best inline filters can not mitigate, that it takes to really mess up a very expensive carb overhaul...

Yes, I'm very particular with everything especially the tank. I've pulled many goldwing tanks and soaked with evapo rust , then rinse. The evapo rust even cleaned the sending unit back to original state. It appears as though this yamaha has a similar design to the goldwing. I.e. Tank under seat, linked brake lines, etc etc. Japanese design I guess.

thanks for the heads up.