IGNORED

Diecast model car advice

OrlinEngh

Hello it's been awhile since I have posted anything on here. No computer so have to use the phone and am all thumbs when it comes to it.

Here is my question to any of you that maybe a collector or know of someone that is.

My brother recent passed away and left his car collection to me and my brother, there is close to 400 of them all in the original boxes.

We are looking for someone to give us a honest appraisal. From what I understand each one has the certificate that comes with them. I will be going on Wednesday to do a inventory and take pictures. Any advice would be welcome, I have been doing some research my self but would like to find a person that knows more.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Orlin

Hello it's been awhile since I have posted anything on here. No computer so have to use the phone and am all thumbs when it comes to it.

Here is my question to any of you that maybe a collector or know of someone that is.

My brother recent passed away and left his car collection to me and my brother, there is close to 400 of them all in the original boxes.

We are looking for someone to give us a honest appraisal. From what I understand each one has the certificate that comes with them. I will be going on Wednesday to do a inventory and take pictures. Any advice would be welcome, I have been doing some research my self but would like to find a person that knows more.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Orlin

Hi Or and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours brother,, hope all is well health wise (how's her heart?)! Sorry to hear about your brother! Prayers Up for each of you as you work thru such a great loss!!

No real good idea about finding an appraiser my friend. I do have a fairly good sized collection of Die Cast bike models that I pulled from my office and boxed up when we closed the shop. While I am sure that motorcycle die cast is no where near the value of a good car car selection, I do think if I were looking at liquidation like you might be speaking of and/or just curious about value that I would probably look to a diecast forum like: https://www.diecastxchange.com/

Just a thought!!

Have a GREAT Christmas brother (we sure are, been spending TONS of hours playing with the Grandson LOL). :bighug:to you and Sharon from Tip/Tweeks and I!! :happy34:

Jesus is the reason for the season!

Puc

Thanks for the info Pic I will take a look and see what info I can find out there.

The sizes are the 3to5 inch and the 5to8 inch and the 8to11 and they are from Dabury Mint and Franklin Mint, and the is another . What he told me is they were a retirement investment and that he was collecting the ones that would bring the best value. When he decided to part with them.

Wish that he would have taken the opportunity to do what he wanted but then maybe he didn't have to so he just enjoyed the collecting part of it all.

It will be a interesting adventure to see what all he had collected over the close to 30 years of.doing it.

Take this for what it is, an opinion based on past experience. This is not from experience with die cast cars but with the Franklin Mint in general.

The Franklin Mint is known for saturating the market with their "Collections". Some which are actually pretty good quality. The problem is they charge a premium initially and then after a few months(or years) flood the market with discounted sales. Thus, rendering the "Collection" valueless.

This is not to say your brother's collection has no value, it's just doubtful it will realize any gain in value from it's initial cost. I'm quite sure there are very desirable collectible die cast models out there, quite possibly some in your brother's collection. They're probably not going to be any of the Franklin Mint pieces.

I'd contact a local auction house and ask if they have a go to toy or die cast collectible expert on call for evaluation.

Edited by luvmy40

Take this for what it is, an opinion based on past experience. This is not from experience with die cast cars but with the Franklin Mint in general.

The Franklin Mint is known for saturating the market with their "Collections". Some which are actually pretty good quality. The problem is they charge a premium initially and then after a few months(or years) flood the market with discounted sales. Thus, rendering the "Collection" valueless.

This is not to say your brother's collection has no value, it's just doubtful it will realize any gain in value from it's initial cost. I'm quite sure their are very desirable collectible die cast models out there, quite possibly some in your brother's collection. They're probably not going to be any of the Franklin Mint pieces.

I'd contact a local auction house and ask if they have a go to toy or die cast collectible expert on call for evaluation.

Gotta say I agree. Not that I have any huge experience but I do find that many of these "limited editions" (of all sorts of things) never really appreciate much if at all after the original purchase. They tend to be not THAT limited! Hope I'm wrong in your case!

My condolences on the loss of your brother.

This is not to say your brother's collection has no value, it's just doubtful it will realize any gain in value from it's initial cost. I'm quite sure there are very desirable collectible die cast models out there, quite possibly some in your brother's collection. They're probably not going to be any of the Franklin Mint pieces.

Yep, what he said. I've dealt some in collectables and luvmy40 is right on, find an auction house with toy experience. And remember that it's not an appraisal unless a licensed appraiser does it, otherwise it's a guess. A good one maybe, but still a guess. If you're looking to maximize the value of the collection you need an actual appraisal, which is the only thing a serious collector will pay attention to. As a certified appraiser I'm a little biased of course ...

I said that I was wondering what kind of a adventure this was going to be.

So far the count is just over 400 cars and at a estimate of over 100,000 baseball cards and other sports memrobielia.

And most of this stuff is from the time period when it's not worth much unless you know what to look for.

What we are looking at now is just enough to maybe cover his expenses and maybe for our money to help take care of his affairs.

We do have a guy coming to do a appraisal on the cards and give us some advice as to what's the best plan for them. Then we will concentrate on those cars.

Thanks for the information that you have shared.

Orlin

My condolences for the loss of your brother.

While tough to do if you don't have a computer (you can always head down to the library), one way to get an idea on the cars is take information from 20 of them , 10 Franklin, 10 Danbury and do a search of Completed listings on ebay. This is generally a good marker for what you could expect selling them individually. I can tell you that my brother has paid too much money on ebay buying toys from his youth, if people are going to over pay for something they really want it will be on an auction site. Auctioning them yourself on ebay or a dedicated die cast site will bring you the most money but will obviously be a lot of work. Someone buying them as a bundle will want to pay less, particularly if their intent is resale. Googling will also yield information and discussion sites like the one Puc posted. Would be a good idea to do a little research on your own in any regard. On Edit: I would STRONGLY encourage you to do a search of sold listings on ebay and educate yourself on the value of the individual cars he has . I did a generic search using Franklin Mint Diecast and Sold values are all over the place depending on what they are. $10.00 to $300 with one corvette selling for over $1000.00 If he has some true "Limited" runs, less than 300 cars, it would be worth your time to research and sell yourself. Also figure that people who want a Model of an actual car they own in their garage will pay more than what the model is worth in auction just to have it.

What years do the baseball cards cover? That is a lot of cards. I sold a box stored (i.e not mint, not perfect corners) 1969 Topps Mickey Mantle (his last year) for $75.00 in 1989 to a dealer with a store front, so he clearly expected to make money on it at that price he paid me. Had 68 and 67 Mickey Mantle with creases in them, still received $5.00 for those. Don't know much about what cards are worth these days. Still have 4000 or so under the bed late 60's to 70', but collector picked out everything he wanted in 1989 anyway. At one time the George Brett 1974 Topps Rookie card was worth thousands in the `mid 1990's but I didn't have one of those. Not sure what it is worth today. Rookie year cards for guys who got famous later were a big deal at one point. Willy Mays, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente should all be valuable cards if the collection includes original cards from that era. If they are stored individually in sleeves they are worth more than box stored assuming temperature control and plastic sleeves are not stuck to the card.

Good luck with your research and sale!

Edited by RSTDdog