IGNORED

New riding rules???

markellis

I'm in the trucking business and have been in quite a few states this last few weeks and have watched the warm weather bring out our fellow riders! BUT, has the rules changed over the winter and I didn't get the memo? More and more groups of two or more have the lead bike on the right hand side of the lane (right). I ask someone on the radio and got one of those moronic responses, "I'll ride any damn way I want too". I'm thinking he just wishes he could ride and if he ever gets to he wants to be a Hells Angel and be rebellious. But, seriously, has anyone else noticed this?

Not really but I seem to favor the right side when I'm riding. If I'm on a two lane highway I try and ride the center line more.

I ride with a couple and he wife's makes him ride out at the line away from the edge because she if afraid of the edge for some reason. So if they are along he has to ride the line so I would normally ride the edge then.

She is so bad that if you ride the center he has to also ride the center.

Jerry

I ride any way I damn well please and that is usually in the right side of the lane. I have never seen any rule that says you have to use any particular part of the lane. Just be happy if they are able to keep it in their own lane.

Actually up here the motorcycle riders manual from the Saskatchewan Drivers testing recommends riding in the rightside of lane in a lot of circumstances as it gives you a chance to be seen and heard a bit better when riding in the left lane when traffic is on your right lane. It is called a blocking position and the thought is that youll notice things quicker and it gives you more options should the car on the right come into your lane.

When i started riding 20 years ago all the manuals I read pretty much all said to run in the leftside of the lane no matter where we were, I guess times change.

Brian

Most if not all the group riding guides I have seen suggest the lead bike in the left of the lane. I ride with a guy that only rides on the right an if he leads we adapt no big deal. Gary counts bikes and gets in line so he is on the right. We don't care what ever works for them is OK with me. Rod

Guest tx2sturgis

When I ride point, I normally ride in the left wheel track, in the right most lane if on a multi lane road. And when I ride sweep, I will shift wheel tracks depending on the traffic following us, and our point mans view of me, and whether he is passing and needs the passing lane protected from traffic approaching from behind us.

However, some point riders use the right wheel track to allow any of the riders, to see ahead better, or to be able to pass if desired. His left mirrror may vibrate less, so he keeps that one in view of the group. Whatever. Its all up to the group, and best to just let them 'ride their own ride'.

Most of the time I pull the BEERCART , I like to ride in the rear and in the center . If guys push me up into the group , well they better watch out fer me as I ride on any side that I feel safer on . That's is what anyone will have to put up with me .

If I do not pull the BEERCART , I ride the opposite side from the scoot in front of me . I hate leading as I don't know where I am going ! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

BEER30

Guest tx2sturgis
...... I hate leading as I don't know where I am going ! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

BEER30

YES you do. Your going to get beer!

:rotf:

It doesn't matter whether I lead or not, when riding with my wife I will ALWAYS put my bike on the side of the lane that is closest to the traffic. That way she is away from the traffic and I have one less thing to worry about.

Normally I don't ride in large groups, unless at a Meet and Eat.

I like to ride on the centerline just to shake things up a bit... :cool10:

Hadn't see that. I'd figure more people would be apt to miss you thinking you were off the road there. Or be more prone to a squeeze pass.

From the MSF manual, there is only one basic suggestion...and that is NO PARALLEL RIDING!

As long as there is staggered positioning, it really is a matter of group preference. Just leave enough room for everyone to have lateral adjustment space in case of---whatever!!

I don't remember ever seeing a rule, and guess it comes down to the individual. Remember that there are already too many RULES against us. Let's not overwhelm ourselves with minutiae.

Poledar:080402gudl_prv:

I've never given it a lot of thought in regards to right or wrong. It's always just been a preference for me. I like riding the centerline. My wife HATES me riding the center line. I think that riding the line or the far right is OK but riding the middle of the lane has always been the most dangerous and not recommended. That is likely to be the slickest part of the road due to auto oil leaks and etc.

Guest Popeye

I've ALWAYS rode in the left tire track. I was taught that way.

markellis drives a rig & finds this curious...so do I. If someone passes a truck, and you are riding over on the RH tire track, you may not be seen & have unexpected company in your lane.

It's very rare I'll ever be in the RH tire track. That's just asking for grief.

OK , I admit it ! I do know where the beer is . And no , my GPS isn't failing .

Truthfully , I just do not want to cause an accident or have someone complain about my chewing tobacco habits !

And to add . I like the inside track at night to give me better response time fer them 4 legged critters and a smoother road surface . Daytime ....so them ignorant cagers thing I'm a copper with my modulating headlight shining in both driver's side and rear view mirror , so they will get out of my way ! They tend to ignore the passenger side mirror . Also I can't afford fer my beer to get warm .:rotf::rotf:

BEER30

The way Motorcycle training classes and the Ontario motorcycle handbook (read to get license) have put it, is if you are riding alone, and you are in the right side of your lane, you are leaving half of your lane open so if a car approaches you from behind and chooses to pass you, he will probably be following to close to begin with, but when he overtakes you he will still be lane sharing with you as the nose of his vehicle passes you..

As said earlier by someone, when you are in the left side of your lane you are "blocking" against lane sharing, the car must then pull fully into the left lane before passing you..

Now in the city, if you are following a large truck and riding in the right side of your lane behind this truck, someone coming towards you making a left turn may hit the gas and start their turn just as the back of the truck is getting near.. The biker is not seen yet..

My headlight is my most valued life saving device I feel I have, I ride daylight hours with high beam on and driving lights on..

Its all about making yourself visible, I always ride the left side of my lane, I may even poke out to the middle of the road on a two lane hwy once in a while, the closer to the field of vision of that idiot in the car coming towards me I am, the safer I feel.. A busy motorist will most certainly notice a motorcycle easier/sooner if its almost in the middle of the road, kinda in his face.."notice me..!!!"

For group riding I feel its the point mans duty to be out there getting noticed, and pushing over those cars/trucks who are riding the centre lane too much..

But thats just what I learned and how I choose to ride..

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey Dr Nemo...great post, but the original question was about lane positioning of the lead rider in groups of 2 or more.

Just so you know.

:cool10:

Riding point I am always on left side of lane. Gives me better visibility of the oncoming

traffic, helps protect rider 2 from left turn in front of them since they will see my lights

and also allows rider 3 just that little bit longer to react if there is a problem with the oncoming. Finally if there is an obstacle in the lane it will most likely be to my right and

I would rather pump the right leg on the away from traffic side than the left leg.

Visible and predictable!! You need to always think about what's going to happen around you. If you are riding in two way traffic and you ride to the right you will not be seen by the oncomming traffic and this will prompt more instances of left turns in front of you. You should always stay to the left so oncomming can see your headlight. In multiple lane traffic like an Interstate lane positioning will depend on the lane and who is most likely to change lanes into you. You should always try to stay in one of the outside lanes so you have the emergency lane to move into if someone comes over on you. You should then position yourself for greatest visibility. If you're in the far right lane then you should be to the left and if you're in the far left lane then you should be to the right. That puts you square in the side mirror of the cage that would be most likely to move over on you. The only exception is in a left curve because you will be out of the field of view no matter where you are. Then you may want to move to the left through the curve and reposition once you straighten out. In a group ride the point should always be to the left. That positions the point where it should be for the two way traffic. In multiple lane traffic lane changes should be coordinated with the sweep rider anyway and the second rider will still have the attention of the cage to the right if you're all the way to the left. I ride 100 miles day in Atlanta Interstate traffic and this had served me very well. I've never had much trouble when the cagers know I'm there. (A$$ holes excluded of coarse)

i pretty much follow the regular traffic laws. i figure i have as much space doled to me as a car and i take it all. centerline to shoulder and at least a couple of car lengths in front of me. don't even like to ride two abreast in one lane. that is what wanna be bikers do and it really po's me when some one tries to come along side me at a stoplight. so i stop as close to the middle as i can with out getting into the anti freeze and oil.:)

Yo Bill chill man... They're talkin about "group riding" ... Not the Harley guy with straight pipes that pulls up beside ya and starts reving his motor so much you can't hear your Barry Manilow CD...

Yo Bill chill man... They're talkin about "group riding" ... Not the Harley guy with straight pipes that pulls up beside ya and starts reving his motor so much you can't hear your Barry Manilow CD...

Bill, I'm surprised at you. Barry Manilo? I always had you pegged as a Patsy Cline kind of guy. :rotf::rotf: I agree with Bill though, I don't like riding tandem in my lane either.:no-no-no::no-no-no: