IGNORED

83 Tire Valve

My '83 venture's front tire has been slowly leaking air for a year or more. I thought that the tire was leaking around the rim and I just checked it every 4 or 5 days and topped off the tire pressure. Less of a hassle than removing the wheel and having the tire reseated. This morning I checked the pressure and it was zero. Normally it has been in the high 20's or so. I added air but when the pressure got up a bit, the valve was obviously just blowing it right back out. Seems to be a real pain to get a new valve. I just went to a dealer and ordered a new '83 stock valve but it won't come in for a few days. I asked about just replacing the valve core and the guy just laughed. Are there valve cores available someplace? I looked on Amazon and ebay and didn't see anything. I'm starting to wonder if I should have a personal stock of valves just in case the other wheel gives out. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

zag

My '83 venture's front tire has been slowly leaking air for a year or more. I thought that the tire was leaking around the rim and I just checked it every 4 or 5 days and topped off the tire pressure. Less of a hassle than removing the wheel and having the tire reseated. This morning I checked the pressure and it was zero. Normally it has been in the high 20's or so. I added air but when the pressure got up a bit, the valve was obviously just blowing it right back out. Seems to be a real pain to get a new valve. I just went to a dealer and ordered a new '83 stock valve but it won't come in for a few days. I asked about just replacing the valve core and the guy just laughed. Are there valve cores available someplace? I looked on Amazon and ebay and didn't see anything. I'm starting to wonder if I should have a personal stock of valves just in case the other wheel gives out. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

zag

Valve cores are available almost everywhere: Auto parts stores, Walmart etc. I buy them in packs of 100 from Grainger.

If it's leaking through the valve a core would likely take care of it. For that matter, the old core might just be loose.

If it's leaking between the valve and wheel a core won't solve the problem. That rubber gets old and will leak. It's also possible corrosion in the wheel is lifting the rubber and allowing a leak.

There isn't anything special about the valve that requires an OEM either. I would expect a dealer to have suitable replacements on hand, I do in my little shop.

Valve cores are available almost everywhere: Auto parts stores, Walmart etc. I buy them in packs of 100 from Grainger.

Thanks for the help MiCarl!

I just got back from the hardware store with valve cores - $2 for four of them. Screwed one in and pumped up the tire. Seems good. I'll recheck the pressure tomorrow just to be sure. After struggling with this for a year or more (assuming that the leak was somewhere along the tire bead) I'm more than ready to have this issue go away. Until the tire valve started leaking like crazy this morning, I hadn't suspected that the valve was the problem. Hope this simple fix does it!

zag

Zag--10 to 15 pounds of air loss overnight ought to be enough to detect leakage with soapy water. If you spray really soapy water on the tire, bead, and valve, do you get any bubbles?

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna just see what the tire pressure looks like tomorrow morning. If it is stable, I'll figure that the problem is fixed. If it goes down, I'll be spraying soapy water like you suggest.

Thanks again,

zag

I have a very similar problem on my RSTD. Loses 5-6 psi over a few days. Left for a longer time (like weeks) it will fall to around 10-12psi. I too suspected the tire bead but I did the soapy water test & can't find any leaks. Valve seems ok (always do the spit test) after adding air. I did a really good tire inspection & again a soapy water test.... nothing! I may try new valve core, never thought of that! It's very frustrating.

Like you I just check the pressure every few days & top up when necessary (nearly always) but that's a PITA especially if we go away anywhere for a few days. Which we haven't this year. Hope you find the problem soon.

Guess the answer is to take the wheel off & get it to a shop to check & refit the tire etc.

I have a very similar problem on my RSTD.

I know that this is very frustrating. Until this morning, I never suspected the tire valve. Seemed like the leak was too small. When the valve finally failed, I was happy to go get a new valve core. Hoping that this solves the problem.

zag

I know that this is very frustrating. Until this morning, I never suspected the tire valve. Seemed like the leak was too small. When the valve finally failed, I was happy to go get a new valve core. Hoping that this solves the problem.

zag

Hope so to! I'm going to try that too.

When I bought my 89 VR, it came with a front tire that did not hold air for more than a few days. To begin with I tightened the lock nuts on the stem which seemed to work for a while but eventually leaked down. Got a new tire put on and it still leaked. Turned out to be a corroded wheel inside where the stem mounted. The guys who mounted the tire did not check it when they changed the tire.

Don't know what they did to reseal the stem but whatever it was wasn't enough and the tire still lost pressure over the course of a month. I decided to put up with it until the tire needed to be replaced. It's my guess the stem needs to be removed and the wheel cleaned up around the stem area. Perhaps even a new stem.

Was cleaning up a couple of weeks ago and found part of a bottle of tire gunk for a bicycle so I put that in and the tire doesn't leak anymore.

When I bought my 89 VR, it came with a front tire that did not hold air for more than a few days. To begin with I tightened the lock nuts on the stem which seemed to work for a while but eventually leaked down. Got a new tire put on and it still leaked. Turned out to be a corroded wheel inside where the stem mounted. The guys who mounted the tire did not check it when they changed the tire.

Don't know what they did to reseal the stem but whatever it was wasn't enough and the tire still lost pressure over the course of a month. I decided to put up with it until the tire needed to be replaced. It's my guess the stem needs to be removed and the wheel cleaned up around the stem area. Perhaps even a new stem.

Was cleaning up a couple of weeks ago and found part of a bottle of tire gunk for a bicycle so I put that in and the tire doesn't leak anymore.

Hey Clive! I was going to try some "tire goop" to see if that worked BUT a number of folks said don't as it corrodes the inside of the alloy wheel. I must admit it's a pain to have to keep checking the pressure every few days. I know we should do that every time we go out (but who does)?

My Kawaski Vulcan has spoked wheels & tires with inner tubes, never been a problem! I took the old valve out earlier but didn't have a replacement so put it back in & pumped the tire up again, see how that goes but I will get a new valve core.

Hey Clive! I was going to try some "tire goop" to see if that worked BUT a number of folks said don't as it corrodes the inside of the alloy wheel. I must admit it's a pain to have to keep checking the pressure every few days. I know we should do that every time we go out (but who does)?

I've never used tire goop before but have always carried it in my saddlebag for emergencies. Since the guys who changed my tire said the rim was a bit corroded around the valve stem I thought what the H... how much harm can it do. Anyway, we'll see when it comes time to replace the tire.

The goop I used this time I had gotten to fix the tire on my wheelbarrow. It lasted until the barrow fell apart and was replaced with one with a solid foam core tire. No more leaks ever again.

zagger did that take care of your problems?

It sure seems like my leak is gone. I keep checking the pressure every day. It has gone down a little but that loss might be caused by my inability to get the tire gauge on the valve without a little loss of air. I think I will let it sit for a few days and then check it again.

zag

It sure seems like my leak is gone. I keep checking the pressure every day. It has gone down a little but that loss might be caused by my inability to get the tire gauge on the valve without a little loss of air. I think I will let it sit for a few days and then check it again.

zag

Let it set.... For few days....

THAT'S GOTTA BE LIKE NOT BEING ABLE TO BREATHE A FEW DAYS...

let me know how that goes..

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

It has gone down a little but that loss might be caused by my inability to get the tire gauge on the valve without a little loss of air.
I found a gauge like this one a few years ago and it works great. Mine cost about $9 so perhaps they have gone down in price. The primary reason it works so well is the screw on attachment is about as close to zero loss and you can get.

I found a gauge like this one a few years ago and it works great. Mine cost about $9 so perhaps they have gone down in price. The primary reason it works so well is the screw on attachment is about as close to zero loss and you can get.

Thanks for that! I had something very similar but without the screw on fitting, worked well but the gauge blew after a year or so. I find it a real PITA getting to the front tire valve around the disc rotors. Not much room at all to get i there. Should have got an angled valve fitted.

Thanks for that! I had something very similar but without the screw on fitting, worked well but the gauge blew after a year or so. I find it a real PITA getting to the front tire valve around the disc rotors. Not much room at all to get i there. Should have got an angled valve fitted.
If the press on gauges don't go on and off absolutely right they leak. The screw on adapter is the most important part but the hose makes it relatively easy to align the threads on the adapter even with a straight valve stem on the front wheel.

My 90 VR came with angle valves on both wheels and I still sucked at preventing excessive loss when checking the pressure. My 89 came with angled on the rear and straight on the front. I found this type of gauge before getting around to changing the front valve stem. I think it is the best solution.

Hard to say what the quality is on the link I posted as it is on the less expensive side but there are probably a few different manufacturers. Be worth a look.

All;

Any reason we can't put a tube in the tire?

I believe it can be done & has been many times BUT... the tire has to be of the right type (smooth on the inside) the wheel has to be the right type etc etc. Friction & flexing between the tire & tube are what causes problems (apparently) Note:

So it's may not be as simple as just putting a tube in & the problem is solved. You could be creating more problems. I'm certainly no expert! That's the way I understand it anyway. Of course I have been known to be wrong.... Yep! It did happen.... once! :rolleyes: LOL

Edited by Kretz

I believe it can be done & has been many times BUT... the tire has to be of the right type (smooth on the inside) the wheel has to be the right type etc etc. Friction & flexing between the tire & tube are what causes problems (apparently) Note:

So it's may not be as simple as just putting a tube in & the problem is solved. You could be creating more problems. I'm certainly no expert! That's the way I understand it anyway. Of course I have been known to be wrong.... Yep! It did happen.... once! :rolleyes: LOL

"Of course I have been known to be wrong...." Don't let your wife see this post....

All kidding aside I imagine a tube would make it hard to balance too....Luckily O have 5 parts bikes....

zag

I had a new tire mounted on my front wheel at the local Triumph Dealer. $20.00 bucks to mount and balance the tire; a screamin' deal! Well I was the guy screamin' the next morning when the tire turned out to be flat and I was 28 miles from home and AAA was a 6 hour wait, so I removed the tire/wheel assembly and rolled on down (walked) to the nearest compressed air and upon filling the tire I put some mark 1 leak tester (spit) over the valve core, found the core in the valve loose; THAT'S when I started screamin'! I tightened that sucker up and it never gave me any issues after that. ALWAYS follow up on the work some one else does to your bike! Yep, you paid professional grade wages for the professional grade work but that's no guarantee you GOT that professional grade work. The only way you know is to check it out. A shame huh?

zag

It has been a few days and I just checked the tire pressure again. Down a couple psi, but naturally I lost a little when the gauge wasn't perfectly aligned with the valve on the first attempt and some air got out. At this point, I'm not going to take off the wheel and have the tire reseated. Seems like my issue has been caused by a leaky tire valve.

zag

I found a slow leak, turned out to be very thin small nail. Take old windex bottle, squirt some dishsoap in it (good squirt), add water, drench the wheel and valve core. Sit for an hour, re-squirt if needed, but keep it all wet. Even the smallest leak will bubble. If it's the rim seal, oh well, you know. Something else, fix as you see fit.