IGNORED

turn signal trouble

My left rear signal light is not flashing, all the others do. This happens weather I am using the turn signal or the hazard flashers. I have followed the troubleshooting flow chart in the factory service manual and it indicates that the flasher relay in the front fairing is bad. I have a hard time believing this since all the other signal bulbs flash at the correct speed , the relay P/N is FE246FE and its only a 2 wire relay that's supposed to control the flash rate.

What are your thoughts on this? Could the relay P/N is FE246FE effect just 1 bulb?

Start with the simple things....if the lights flash at the normal speed I would rule out the flasher.

1) Check the bulb. Swap bulbs with the other turn signal - does the problem follow the bulb ?

2) Use a volt meter to see if power is getting to the bulb socket - possible break at the socket

3) 2nd Gen the wiring for the lights is under the driver's seat - if you've added other lights check where connections have been made, check voltages

Start with the simple things....if the lights flash at the normal speed I would rule out the flasher.

1) Check the bulb. Swap bulbs with the other turn signal - does the problem follow the bulb ? NO

2) Use a volt meter to see if power is getting to the bulb socket - possible break at the socket Socket checked good from bulb socket to plug behind liscense plate. No voltage on bike side of harness. swapped in a known good flasher under right side cover, no change. Previously mentioned FE246BH only seems to effect hazard blinker.

3) 2nd Gen the wiring for the lights is under the driver's seat - if you've added other lights check where connections have been made, check voltages. All seem to be good.

Answers to your Q&A are in the quoted text.

Sometimes the center connector in a fitting will stick and needs to be freed. Check the ground at the light socket, run a test light from the battery or known power source to the socket jacket, the light should come on, if not, there is a ground problem. If there is no power coming from the bike you need to find out why. Not sure about a 2nd gen, but some systems are fused separately, maybe even have a different flasher.

Are the 4 ways working and does it work with the 4 ways?

Sometimes the center connector in a fitting will stick and needs to be freed. Check the ground at the light socket, run a test light from the battery or known power source to the socket jacket, the light should come on, if not, there is a ground problem. If there is no power coming from the bike you need to find out why. Not sure about a 2nd gen, but some systems are fused separately, maybe even have a different flasher.

Are the 4 ways working and does it work with the 4 ways?

The 4 ways flash except for the left rear. Running a desperate ground didn't help.

I went to Jays homestead this morning to help diagnose this electrical glitch. As suspected there was an open ground at the bulb socket. Running a jumper wire direct to the socket base and to the frame allowed the bulb to function as normal. Switching the jumper lead to the input end of the wire resulted in a no go. So that told us the wire itself or socket was bad. After removing the lead in wire & socket we confirmed the wire itself was good . Pulling back the rubber boot on the socket showed corrosion. A quick cleaning, a bit of silicone to keep moisture out and we're good as new. Apparently there was just enough corrosion built up to prevent contact between the washer/spring/base.

It was a pain getting that portion of the wiring out & put back in, thou Jay managed quite well as I supervised. LOL

Larry