IGNORED

embarrased last night

friesman

We had a gorgeous day here yesterday for April about 27 c and not much wind cruising around town through the parks and happened on a police spot check. Got pulled into the check lane, had an officer walk up and ask me to shut the engine off and give him my registration and DL. No probs i kll the engine , put the kick stand down and get my wallet to pull out my docs while the LEO is checking my lights, signals, brakes etc. meanwhile I am trying to balance my docs and wallet while doing this stuff he is asking. Finally we get done with the check he hands everything back to me, i put my wallet away, get set to go flip up the stand and nothing. I tried everything thought my lights were on bright and got a bad switch, or the switch on the kick stand was shot but no go. Meanwhile theres cars behind me in the lane so I have to push my ride off to the side to try to figure out what was wrong. I checked everything from top to bottom and was ready to call a tow company when I remembered what I had read in this forum about the KILL switch and how some guys have forgotten to turn it back on. Well, thats me, was I embarrassed. Usually i let the switch for the kick stand kill the engine so i know that the stand is down and locked before I tilt the bike one its side, but my routine got messed up when I killed it with the switch. AARRGGHHH! so frustrating when you have a brain fart!

Brian :cool10::cool10:

At least you didn't call the Tow Truck ... :bighug:

I think you should have placed one Hand on the right handle Bar while grabbing down and fiddle at the Carbs with the other Hand.

Now, with a little smile on your Face, push the Button and whalla ... Engine runs .. with a satisfied Grin on your Face from well knowing owner, grab the Helmet and ride off ....

Guest tx2sturgis

One way to prevent this from happening, is to ALWAYS use the kill switch to shut off the bike..( you'll always turn it back on when starting, it'll be a habit)....but then, you have the possiblity of accidently leaving the key switch on, when you get off the bike...in an hour or so, with the headlight burning, you wont be able to start it!

SO...the best answer is to NEVER EVER do what a cop tells you!

:whistling:

Guest BluesLover
was running about 60 mph took me till 30 mph to find what was wrong.:doh:
Been there done THAT! My buddy was running beside me and he thought there was something wrong with the bike ...

Cheers,

Guest tx2sturgis
Bumped mine in the rain trying to turn on hazard lights and was running about 60 mph took me till 30 mph to find what was wrong.:doh:

Did you get a loud BANG when you turned it back on??

ouch.

Not to long ago I came out of city hall parked in 30 minute spot. The key wouldn't work, no matter how I put the key in it wouldn't turn. I forced, jiggled, cussed, called the cops to tell them I might be there awhile, they said I'd get a ticket anyway. So after 20 minutes I pushed it 2 blocks away and parked. I put the key in my pocket and felt another key, the motorcycle key. I had been using my work truck key which has the same keychain bob as the motorcycle

Ahhh!!!!!

Went into the undercover car park of my work office the other day to get in one of the Toyotas. As I went through the door I hit the zapper to unlock the car (heard the blip blip and noticed lights flashing), then jumped in the car. Key in the ignition - wouldn't turn. Damn. Took it out, put it back in. No go. Turned it over (don't know why.) Made sure the transmission was in P. Nothing worked. Thought maybe there was a problem with the auto ignition kill with the zapper, so I hit the zapper button again.

Wouldn't you know it - the lights on the car next to me flashed. I had gotten into the wrong car. Obviously somebody had not locked the one I had jumped in to when it was used last. Both cars are the same model and same colour. Live and learn.

I've done the "kill button" thing too but the one that makes me feel the most stupid is when I couldn't get the key to turn the ignition on the car. I tried and tried to no avail and I was getting really PO'd ....I even went back inside the house to get the wife's keys, thinking there was something wrong with mine....and of course, I reported to her about it .... then I discovered that the pressure of the steering wheel was preventing it from coming out of the "locked" position. Seems my wife has a habit of turning the key off before letting go of the steering wheel and if it's slightly turned, it will apply back pressure against the steering lock. Well, the both of us had a real good laff over that!

One way to prevent this from happening, is to ALWAYS use the kill switch to shut off the bike..( you'll always turn it back on when starting, it'll be a habit)....but then, you have the possiblity of accidently leaving the key switch on, when you get off the bike...in an hour or so, with the headlight burning, you wont be able to start it!

SO...the best answer is to NEVER EVER do what a cop tells you!

:whistling:

BUT!!!!!!!!---------make sure you turn you key off or you will have a DEAD BATTERY:sick: when you your bull shooting session is done.I not only did this ---once--I did it twice (on 2 different bikes). I always use the key----------now:whistling:---Buzzard

Yah done that as well. IN a rush to start it you wonder why the cruise control cancel button does not crank the engine over. Secret is to hit the starter button :rotf:

Or you could have one of your buddys hit the kill switch for you just for fun and then watch you try to start it. Wonder why this happens a couple of times a year.

Brad

Guest Ken8143
Did you get a loud BANG when you turned it back on??

ouch.

Oh man did I ever. Driving down the road. Darn thing stops. Twist the throttle several times. Think it through - oh yeah the kill switch. Push the switch and BANG thought I blew the muffler off. Nearly crapped my pants.

Oh man did I ever. Driving down the road. Darn thing stops. Twist the throttle several times. Think it through - oh yeah the kill switch. Push the switch and BANG thought I blew the muffler off. Nearly crapped my pants.

I bought my 05 RSV last July and have already done this 3 times. The first time I coasted to a stop on the side of the hiway before I figured it out. :confused24:

Each of the next two times I figured it out pretty fast. I only had to down shift into 4th.

I'm am mechanically inept so what would cause the big bang?

I bought my 05 RSV last July and have already done this 3 times. The first time I coasted to a stop on the side of the hiway before I figured it out. :confused24:

Each of the next two times I figured it out pretty fast. I only had to down shift into 4th.

I'm am mechanically inept so what would cause the big bang?

Mixture is sucked through the Combustion Chamber without being ignited. The Mixture get pumped into the Exhaust and when there is anything which can ignite the Mixture. That's may be a real hot Exhaust or hot Gas which comes from the Combustion Chamber after Bike's Ignition is back on duty.