IGNORED

2018 Yamaha Star Venture - Mike's Personal Review

I'm going to attempt to make this concise. Please feel free to ask questions, and I'll add things as I see fit from these questions.

INTRODUCTION

I'd had my eye on this bike since it was announced back in the June timeframe last year. I was still feeling the effects of the Victory closure announcement (I had a 2011 Victory Cross Roads), and since that time I had been window shopping for my next bike. I had mentally settled on the Indian Roadmaster, as I wanted a v-twin touring bike, but I wasn't completely thrilled with the option. I'm a bit of a geek (as some might have noticed), and while the traditional styling of the Indians is nice, it just wasn't really my mug of coffee. I still remember the first time I saw the new Star Venture. My first reaction was, "Yeah, like that!" on the styling. I was hooked, so I had to force myself to curb my enthusiasm. I wasn't yet in a position to be able to afford it, and I didn't want my fan-boy feeling to cause me to overlook flaws that may give me reason not to buy one. My biggest concern going in was the weight; 963 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. So I did my research, read the reviews, kept up with things in the news and bid my time until my daughter finished school.

It was then I saw on on the showroom floor at the same dealer where I bought my Victory. I made the mistake of sitting on it and letting the sales guy hold it so I could check my sitting clearance for my legs. It was, of course, a perfect fit. I let the guy "tell me all about it" (not mentioning the research I had already done), told him I was considering it, and left. A week later I brought my teenage son in try out the passenger seat. Of course he loved it. Told the guy I was still seriously considering it, and left. It was another week and a half before I returned, having done due diligence on finances and whatnot. I insisted on a test ride. The sales guy immediately agreed. I was so nervous I was going to drop the thing, but I didn't. It just didn't feel like a 963-pound bike, even at low speed. It accelerated far more effortlessly than I imagined and it turned and handled very well. When I returned to the dealership, I bought the bike.

THE GOOD

Now that I've put 2000 miles on the bike, I'm comfortable saying I am more confident riding this bike than my Victory Cross Roads, which surprised me given the 200-pound difference in weight. At low speed it feels like a much lighter bike. On the highway it doesn't break a sweat. Indeed, my son, having eaten good BBQ before a leg of a ride as dozed off on the back more than once (he's ok, no worries). The passenger seat is equally comfortable, and I find myself debating on whether I really need highway pegs (I'm 5' 9" in boots). Despite its bulk, it is a well-engineered machine.

Power is awesome for a stock v-twin. Now that I can rev the engine beyond 2600, I've been able to get a better idea of the engine's capabilities. I'm not a expert (this is only my third bike), but I haven't found myself wanting for power. The transmission shifts easily (though I find myself occasionally over-shifting neutral).

Storage space is cavernous. This is my first tour trunk, I've been kicking myself for not investing in one sooner. What I normally carry fits well in the saddlebags, leaving the trunk to stash my helmet and jacket when I stop. The cubbies elsewhere are nice but I haven't found a use for them yet (yet) outside of holding and charging my phone.

I have the Transcontinental model, so features are vast. I haven't use the CB yet (I have along trip coming up), but I've taken in most of the other audio options. It's easier to list what doesn't come with the bike than what does come with the bike, which is saying something.

This is also my first bike with heated seats and grips. And you can set the levels for High/Medium/Low heat in the infotainment system. I also got the accessory headed grips for the passenger. My son loves them.

Generally, I'm getting about 35-37 mpg in the city, and 44-47 mpg on the highway.

One year warranty, four additional years extended warranty.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

Does the engine put off heat? Yes. Is it enough to be a real bother? No. I've found it's most noticeable when I've been on the highway, then I have to stop and wait for several minutes. It's not going to burn your leg off, but it will warm you up a bit on cool days. Also, this heat can be mitigated a great deal by opening the vents just forward of the floorboards to let air in by your legs.

My biggest gripes are with some of the niggles with the Infotainment System. These are documented ad nauseam elsewhere on the forums, so I won't go into too much detail. The voice prompts on the GPS can't be adjusted (the voice breaks in too often for my taste). Importing a route is needlessly complex. Routes are limited to 5 waypoints. The Pandora control isn't stable and breaks randomly (viva la Bluetooth). Despite these niggles, it is quite functional. An update should be available "Any Day NowTM".

My bike does get a bit of transmission whine from time to time, though it seems to be lessening a bit as time goes on.

EDIT: This problem went away after my 4000 mile service when I switched from the Yamalube 15w-50 full synthetic to a certain name-brand 10w-40 full synthetic.

The throttle can be a bit twitchy. It's a throttle-by-wire system, and there are times when I feel I may have let off just a tiny bit only to have the engine down-rev more than expected. It has taken some getting used to.

SUMMARY

I've gotten into the habit of telling folks that this is the bike I was waiting for. I really like this bike, and I find myself trying to come up with excuses to get out on it. It is fantastic for what it is, and I'm very glad I made the upgrade.

EDIT 1: Added info on air vents to mitigate engine heat.

EDIT 2: Updated statement on transmission whine.

Edited by Zelthian
Updates

I'm going to attempt to make this concise. Please feel free to ask questions, and I'll add things as I see fit from these questions.

INTRODUCTION

I'd had my eye on this bike since it was announced back in the June timeframe last year. I was still feeling the effects of the Victory closure announcement (I had a 2011 Victory Cross Roads), and since that time I had been window shopping for my next bike. I had mentally settled on the Indian Roadmaster, as I wanted a v-twin touring bike, but I wasn't completely thrilled with the option. I'm a bit of a geek (as some might have noticed), and while the traditional styling of the Indians is nice, it just wasn't really my mug of coffee. I still remember the first time I saw the new Star Venture. My first reaction was, "Yeah, like that!" on the styling. I was hooked, so I had to force myself to curb my enthusiasm. I wasn't yet in a position to be able to afford it, and I didn't want my fan-boy feeling to cause me to overlook flaws that may give me reason not to buy one. My biggest concern going in was the weight; 963 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. So I did my research, read the reviews, kept up with things in the news and bid my time until my daughter finished school.

It was then I saw on on the showroom floor at the same dealer where I bought my Victory. I made the mistake of sitting on it and letting the sales guy hold it so I could check my sitting clearance for my legs. It was, of course, a perfect fit. I let the guy "tell me all about it" (not mentioning the research I had already done), told him I was considering it, and left. A week later I brought my teenage son in try out the passenger seat. Of course he loved it. Told the guy I was still seriously considering it, and left. It was another week and a half before I returned, having done due diligence on finances and whatnot. I insisted on a test ride. The sales guy immediately agreed. I was so nervous I was going to drop the thing, but I didn't. It just didn't feel like a 963-pound bike, even at low speed. It accelerated far more effortlessly than I imagined and it turned and handled very well. When I returned to the dealership, I bought the bike.

THE GOOD

Now that I've put 2000 miles on the bike, I'm comfortable saying I am more confident riding this bike than my Victory Cross Roads, which surprised me given the 200-pound difference in weight. At low speed it feels like a much lighter bike. On the highway it doesn't break a sweat. Indeed, my son, having eaten good BBQ before a leg of a ride as dozed off on the back more than once (he's ok, no worries). The passenger seat is equally comfortable, and I find myself debating on whether I really need highway pegs (I'm 5' 9" in boots). Despite its bulk, it is a well-engineered machine.

Power is awesome for a stock v-twin. Now that I can rev the engine beyond 2600, I've been able to get a better idea of the engine's capabilities. I'm not a expert (this is only my third bike), but I haven't found myself wanting for power. The transmission shifts easily (though I find myself occasionally over-shifting neutral).

Storage space is cavernous. This is my first tour trunk, I've been kicking myself for not investing in one sooner. What I normally carry fits well in the saddlebags, leaving the trunk to stash my helmet and jacket when I stop. The cubbies elsewhere are nice but I haven't found a use for them yet (yet) outside of holding and charging my phone.

I have the Transcontinental model, so features are vast. I haven't use the CB yet (I have along trip coming up), but I've taken in most of the other audio options. It's easier to list what doesn't come with the bike than what does come with the bike, which is saying something.

This is also my first bike with heated seats and grips. And you can set the levels for High/Medium/Low heat in the infotainment system. I also got the accessory headed grips for the passenger. My son loves them.

Generally, I'm getting about 35-37 mpg in the city, and 44-47 mpg on the highway.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

Does the engine put off heat? Yes. Is it enough to be a real bother? No. I've found it's most noticeable when I've been on the highway, then I have to stop and wait for several minutes. It's not going to burn your leg off, but it will warm you up a bit on cool days.

My biggest gripes are with some of the niggles with the Infotainment System. These are documented ad nauseam elsewhere on the forums, so I won't go into too much detail. The voice prompts on the GPS can't be adjusted (the voice breaks in too often for my taste). Importing a route is needlessly complex. Routes are limited to 5 waypoints. The Pandora control isn't stable and breaks randomly (viva la Bluetooth). Despite these niggles, it is quite functional. An update should be available "Any Day NowTM".

My bike does get a bit of transmission whine from time to time, though it seems to be lessening a bit as time goes on.

The throttle can be a bit twitchy. It's a throttle-by-wire system, and there are times when I feel I may have let off just a tiny bit only to have the engine down-rev more than expected. It has taken some getting used to.

SUMMARY

I've gotten into the habit of telling folks that this is the bike I was waiting for. I really like this bike, and I find myself trying to come up with excuses to get out on it. It is fantastic for what it is, and I'm very glad I made the upgrade.

Hey Z, I know what you mean about “twitchy”. I’ve found that “Sport Mode” in stop n go or slow traffic is the issue. If you’re in that kind of traffic or city driving, “Touring Mode”is much smoother and not so “Twtchy”. Did you try that?

Hey Z, I know what you mean about “twitchy”. I’ve found that “Sport Mode” in stop n go or slow traffic is the issue. If you’re in that kind of traffic or city driving, “Touring Mode”is much smoother and not so “Twtchy”. Did you try that?

I stay out of sports mode. The twitchy-ness I speak of was while in touring mode. *shrug*

A good read, and thanks for posting. I/We take possession of mine/ours tomorrow morn. Glad to see that our ranks are swelling day by day. I found Sport Mode to be a lips over the forehead affair 2nd gear to 6th, pulling strong right up to 100 MPH, where I thought...it might be prudent to back off. My dealer let me ride his fully broken in SVTC. I found Tour Mode perfect for around town riding...a quite relaxed, fuel and engine torque mapping. Then as I moved out of town..I switched to Sport Mode, and WOW...did that engine ever wake up! As to handling...I also own a 564 pound Sport Tour...and I felt no difference in handling between them.

Yamaha did an excellent job on keeping the mass low in the frame...and centralized. As far as your reported MPG, that is exactly what the 2000-2017 Gold Wings get. I know...I owned many model year, Gold Wings. That is great. You'll probably get more, after 5,000 or so miles. I think this engine is like a diesel,certainly where the torque is...and how early that great grunt and pull comes into play. I also think they will last as long as a commercial diesel...for what are they going to most operate at, if in proper gear...1,700 to 2,750 RPM? Big deal...it's RPM's that wear down piston rings, cylinder walls, and cam lobes.

We have at least three major trips planned for my/our SVTC already this morning! My wife and I are coffee clatching...and have our Trip Ticks out over the dining room table. She is now as excited as I am...for she sees the light, at the end of the long (October to May) delivery 'tunnel'.

Enjoy your 2018 SVTC, and we wish you as a riding team, many safe, thousands of tour miles upon it...

Cheers!

Joe and Dee-Dee

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Nice review, I don't think heat is an issue as I have had a Victory Cross Country Tour and a Harley Ultra Limited Low and this bike puts out no more heat than either the Victory or the Harley did. I am comfortable with the heat of the bike and I live in Southwest Florida and it gets hot and muggy down here. Wife and I rode today and the temps got up to 88 degree and we were perfectly comfortable.

Hope you enjoy many miles and years with your Star Venture as I love mine. This is the bike I have always wanted and after reading about the weak suspension on the 2018 GoldWing Tour I am glad the Honda dealers were not willing to do business and take my Harley Ultra Limited Low on trade, I think I got the better bike in the Yamaha in the end.

Nice review, I don't think heat is an issue as I have had a Victory Cross Country Tour and a Harley Ultra Limited Low and this bike puts out no more heat than either the Victory or the Harley did. I am comfortable with the heat of the bike and I live in Southwest Florida and it gets hot and muggy down here. Wife and I rode today and the temps got up to 88 degree and we were perfectly comfortable.

Hope you enjoy many miles and years with your Star Venture as I love mine. This is the bike I have always wanted and after reading about the weak suspension on the 2018 GoldWing Tour I am glad the Honda dealers were not willing to do business and take my Harley Ultra Limited Low on trade, I think I got the better bike in the Yamaha in the end.

Funny in the way you worded that about the Honda...the same for us, if it had not been for what Honda punched out for 2018...I wouldn't be picking up a SVTC on Tuesday. In hindsight, especially after being able to ride one before I take delivery of ours...I absolutely agree with you. This bike...the ride, the features, the whole thing folded in, makes my 2008 Gold Wing...seem like an archaic ride, way past its due date. Count me in as truly satisfied and happy to take delivery of, tomorrow...truly!

INTRODUCTION

THE GOOD

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

Does the engine put off heat? Yes. Is it enough to be a real bother? No. I've found it's most noticeable when I've been on the highway, then I have to stop and wait for several minutes. It's not going to burn your leg off, but it will warm you up a bit on cool days.

SUMMARY

I agree with the twitchy throttle response. I’ve noticed it in both Sport and Tour mode. It feels like a hesitation in throttle response. What is hard to get used to is it seems random, which can get a little surprising on lower speed acceleration leans as throttle is being given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the twitchy throttle response. I’ve noticed it in both Sport and Tour mode. It feels like a hesitation in throttle response. What is hard to get used to is it seems random, which can get a little surprising on lower speed acceleration leans as throttle is being given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's hope that twitchyness will go away as the system breaks in. If not then you may have to go to dealer and have them tweak the computer...if that is doable. Could be a firmware update for that as well down the line...

A good read, and thanks for posting. I/We take possession of mine/ours tomorrow morn. Glad to see that our ranks are swelling day by day. I found Sport Mode to be a lips over the forehead affair 2nd gear to 6th, pulling strong right up to 100 MPH, where I thought...it might be prudent to back off. My dealer let me ride his fully broken in SVTC. I found Tour Mode perfect for around town riding...a quite relaxed, fuel and engine torque mapping. Then as I moved out of town..I switched to Sport Mode, and WOW...did that engine ever wake up! As to handling...I also own a 564 pound Sport Tour...and I felt no difference in handling between them.

Yamaha did an excellent job on keeping the mass low in the frame...and centralized. As far as your reported MPG, that is exactly what the 2000-2017 Gold Wings get. I know...I owned many model year, Gold Wings. That is great. You'll probably get more, after 5,000 or so miles. I think this engine is like a diesel,certainly where the torque is...and how early that great grunt and pull comes into play. I also think they will last as long as a commercial diesel...for what are they going to most operate at, if in proper gear...1,700 to 2,750 RPM? Big deal...it's RPM's that wear down piston rings, cylinder walls, and cam lobes.

We have at least three major trips planned for my/our SVTC already this morning! My wife and I are coffee clatching...and have our Trip Ticks out over the dining room table. She is now as excited as I am...for she sees the light, at the end of the long (October to May) delivery 'tunnel'.

Enjoy your 2018 SVTC, and we wish you as a riding team, many safe, thousands of tour miles upon it...

Cheers!

Joe and Dee-Dee

Actually modern day piston ring and cylinder wall wear has come to an almost non existent issue because of the types of materials now employed. I have a fair amount of time now running high R's with Nicasil bores and can tell ya that even with thousands of fairly hard miles - its amazing how many times one can open a motor to find factory cross hatching still in place. As far as rings go,, on my V-4's I have ran 5 of the early 1st Gens out well over 200k miles (one over 300k) - beaten on em all the way, and have yet to have to open em up for a rering. While I have no experience with the 113, I have been told that this new one has ceramic cylinder bores and if this is so,, I highly suspect these jugs will even be more durable than the Nic's as long as good air filtration is maintained - that ceramic stuff is tough stuff..

Concerning cam lobe wear,,, in dealing with building numerous HD air cooled V-Twin motors, I found it necessary to use improved bearing roller tappets and roller rockers in some cases to protect against this.. The reason was not high R related (fact is,, that due to piston speed limits in stroking a motor to increase Cubic Inches - the redline is usually dropped some and not uncommon to have to stay below 5252 R's where Hp takes over on the dyno curve) but was 100% about the amount of valve spring pressures being put on the cam lobes..

At least thats been my experience...

Edited by cowpuc

Let's hope that twitchyness will go away as the system breaks in. If not then you may have to go to dealer and have them tweak the computer...if that is doable. Could be a firmware update for that as well down the line...

Demoed one of the new 114 Fat Bobs last year that kind of had that attitude.. Little tweakin on that fly by wire program thingy and WOWZY WOW what a difference!! I have always been a carb, points, kick start kind of gear head but gotta say,,, a guy could get sorta spoiled diggin o this modern day stuff...

If I could ask Mom Yam one question I think it would be "Why on Gods green earth didn't you drop EFI into our Gen 2's,, ya coulda removed the cassette deck and paid for it and would of cost ya nothin"..

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

New 2018 SVTC owner here. One thing I did not know before it was pointed out to me was the air vents located in front of the shifter and brake. If it seems ugly hot, open these vents, because that made a world of difference for me.

New 2018 SVTC owner here. One thing I did not know before it was pointed out to me was the air vents located in front of the shifter and brake. If it seems ugly hot, open these vents, because that made a world of difference for me.

Yes! Forgot to mention those... Thank you! Adding now...

Since we’re now above 55 degrees for all temps day & night, I keep mine open all the time. No need to close unless it gets cool and you want the extra warmth.

It was 89 degrees today on my ride this morning, heat was a non issue, Yamaha did a great job with heat management.

One thing to remember you have 113 CI's of engine sitting between your legs you are going to feel some heat no matter if it is air/oil cooled or a liquid cooled bike. Energy produces heat, that is just a fact of life but Yamaha manages the heat very well on this bike.

It was 89 degrees today on my ride this morning, heat was a non issue, Yamaha did a great job with heat management.

One thing to remember you have 113 CI's of engine sitting between your legs you are going to feel some heat no matter if it is air/oil cooled or a liquid cooled bike. Energy produces heat, that is just a fact of life but Yamaha manages the heat very well on this bike.

On my ride back home yesterday afternoon, with my SVTC...and having the lower wind deflectors installed as one of my options....they work real magic, and bring in a ton of air, or...deflect away from you...tried both scenarios. We'll really enjoy what they can do, for either cool, or warm weather riding. I highly recommend adding them to your ride.

INTRODUCTION

THE GOOD

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

Does the engine put off heat? Yes. Is it enough to be a real bother? No. I've found it's most noticeable when I've been on the highway, then I have to stop and wait for several minutes. It's not going to burn your leg off, but it will warm you up a bit on cool days. Also, this heat can be mitigated a great deal by opening the vents just forward of the floorboards to let air in by your legs.

SUMMARY

EDIT 1: Added info on air vents to mitigate engine heat.

What kept me away from the Indian Roadmaster was the lack of a hydraulic clutch. A 28,000 dollar motorcycle and it has a cable operated clutch.

The first thing I did when I bought my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour was drive right home pull it into the garage and removed the cable operated clutch and replaced it with a hydraulic clutch. Never had one problem with the hydraulic clutch on that bike. Victory sold a hydraulic clutch kit that was actually for I think the steel frame bikes but it fit the Cross bikes so I ordered one and had it ready to go the day I picked up the bike. Took me all of one hour to remove the cable operated clutch hardware and install the hydraulic clutch hardware and slave cylinder including all of 2 minutes to bleed the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

I just had the 4000 mile service done today. After the break-in service, I had them put in the Yamalube synthetic, which is a 15w-50. The transmission whine I observed persisted through to the 4000 mile service I had done today. This time I provided my own purchased 10w-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil (name-brand), and on the ride home I observed no transmission whine. I can actually hear the tire sound on certain pavements now.

Another update:

I just had the 4000 mile service done today. After the break-in service, I had them put in the Yamalube synthetic, which is a 15w-50. The transmission whine I observed persisted through to the 4000 mile service I had done today. This time I provided my own purchased 10w-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil (name-brand), and on the ride home I observed no transmission whine. I can actually hear the tire sound on certain pavements now.

I dumped the 600 mile service oil after 400 miles at the 1,000 mile mark, it was Yamalube conventional 10w-40 oil and replaced it with 20w-50 Redline synthetic oil. I used Redline oil in my Victory and my Harley and have had nothing but great results using Redline in my motorcycles, I also use Redline 0w-20 in my wife's 2016 Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo and Redline 0w-40 in my Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. I order my Redline oil from Racer Parts Wholesale.

I like the Redline oil because it is a group V ester synthetic oil and ester has a positive charge so it clings to the metal parts instead of draining off so you are not completely dry on cold starts where an engine receives most of the wear.

And here I was trying to keep this from turning into a commercial for oil. *sigh*

Not a commercial for oil, it is good for people to post what works for them so others don't have to guess and try a bunch of different brands until they find something that works well.

There are several good oils on the market for the V-Twin engines, Amsoil has a good one, Mobil One has a good V-Twin oil, Redline is good. I would be interested in hearing what brand you decided to go with that is working for you.

Not a commercial for oil

I'm sorry, I disagree. Go back and read what you posted. It is a personal advertisement for Redline oil.

This thread was meant to review the bike. It wasn't meant as an opportunity for everyone to come in and proclaim their favorite oil brand. There are plenty of other threads out there to do this. This is why I didn't mention the brand I used.

The point of my addition was:

- I didn't use Yamalube

- I used another synthetic

- I used 10w-40 instead of 15w-50

- The transmission whine went away.

I am NOT trying to assert that the brand I used got rid of the whine. That judgement will wait until after the next oil change when I swap oils again. My theory is that using a non-Yamaha 10w-40 synthetic got rid of the whine. The ONLY thing I know from what the parts guys at the dealership said that MIGHT have something to do with it is that the Yamalube 15w-50 has a lot of esters in it. I have no idea about the ester content of the oil I chose, so I don't know if this had anything to do with it. Too many unknowns here, so I focused on what I know would matter: synthetic, 10w-40, non-Yamalube.

To address another point from your post, the 10w-40 I used is not marketed for V-Twins. There are some on the market that are, but tend to be 20w-50. Given the temperature scale of that viscosity, I wanted something that was rated for lower temps, and I wanted to be sure the viscosity was noted for others. Point being: this bike does not require oil targeted at V-Twins. Indeed, if you read the material around these oils, they seem to be targeted at HD V-Twins.

Once I get to 8000 miles and try the other brand oil, and if the transmission whine comes back, I'll consider naming the oils I used. Until then, 10w-40 synthetic, non-Yamalube name-brand oil seems to do the trick just fine.