IGNORED

Eyes open wide..today's visit to my friendly, HD dealer. (Bring Money....)

YamahaParExcellence

The position of the CATs on the Victory CCT also caused excessive heat for both the rider's and passenger's right foot / leg. I removed them on my Vic and it made a huge improvement.

I really tried to nail down my HD rep yesterday with how much of a bang-for-the-cooling-buck was cooling the cylinder heads...and how that affected the cockpit.

As stated..he said, sure, it helps...but the real game-play, was in '17...(funny, the year the Mich 8 and water head cooling (back up strategy, but a good one!....hmmm..) when they moved both Cat's aft of the co-rider's foot boards, so downwind of the cockpit and both riders. He said that was the secret to a much cooler ride. I'm going to have to ask my Yama dealer, exactly where on the SVTC are both Cats? I thought that they were also, aft and below the cockpit, proper.

I wouldnt have a clue about this in Canada but here in the States, motorcycle rentals seem fairly common. Matter of fact, I have ran into numerous folks both from outside our country and citizens while out CTFW who claimed to be riding rented bikes - no different than renting a car for travel if I understand it correctly.. I actually have even ran into lots of folks at places like the Sturgis Rally that were riding rented bikes and the last couple times I attended there I noticed a fair amount of Polaris Indian repops buzzing around the area and told Tippy that it appeared that maybe there was some truth to the Polaris claims about putting a dent in HD's skid plates.. I later learned that the local Polaris shop in Sturgis was renting the bikes and that the vast majority of the Polaris Indians we saw attending the rally were indeed = rentals...

I may be totally and 100% wrong about this cause I have personally never actually rented one (gotta be a much more knowledgeable/experienced club member who would know for sure) but I am pretty sure that renting is totally doable here..

You know Puc...from my thread here...I am going to look up that vacation bike rental site that even has Harley's for rent in Hawaii...and JUST FOR, AND BECAUSE...and I really want to know...will be to rent (even with owning soon what I consider the actual top of the rider food chain, IMPO) on our next family visit vacation to L.A. and Phoenix...instead of a car...perhaps Diane and I, will (I'll pitch this to her...I'm thinking she is game...) rent a Road Glide Ultra..or an Electra Glide Ultra...whatever they have with a tour trunk...and whip around the Valley. (I before meeting her, lived in Van Nuys, Encino, North Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc) and then via a stay (for Mexican Town!!!!) in San Diego, will motor along 10 to Phoenix. That's where I think we can turn the bike in, and fly out of. So...I finally will get the 'what's it like to ride a Harley' off of my chest. Not to report it was either great or crap forum comments...nope. Just as a bucket list life event. :)

Done deal...

You know Puc...from my thread here...I am going to look up that vacation bike rental site that even has Harley's for rent in Hawaii...and JUST FOR, AND BECAUSE...and I really want to know...will be to rent (even with owning soon what I consider the actual top of the rider food chain, IMPO) on our next family visit vacation to L.A. and Phoenix...instead of a car...perhaps Diane and I, will (I'll pitch this to her...I'm thinking she is game...) rent a Road Glide Ultra..or an Electra Glide Ultra...whatever they have with a tour trunk...and whip around the Valley. (I before meeting her, lived in Van Nuys, Encino, North Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc) and then via a stay (for Mexican Town!!!!) in San Diego, will motor along 10 to Phoenix. That's where I think we can turn the bike in, and fly out of. So...I finally will get the 'what's it like to ride a Harley' off of my chest. Not to report it was either great or crap forum comments...nope.i Just as a bucket list life event. :)

Done deal...

Good on ya Yamster!! I am thinking very seriously about doing a 1st time in my life bike rental this year too.. I would LOVE to spend a day on the new Wing and then another one on the new Beemer Grand America. I am a glutten for performance based touring scoots and still see no reason why a modern day touring rider cant have his cake and eat it too when it comes to getting serious work load capacity (high torque) as well as requiring that work load be completed in record breaking time and with record breaking speed (high HP).. I have always been impressed with my little 1200cc V-4 and its ability to crawl up a mountain in 5th gear at 50mph fully loaded but then also break 105 mph/into the 12's in the 1/4 mile and 130+ out on the salt at Bonneville. That said, I just have a sneaking hunch that both the new Wing and the new Beemer (both considerably larger motors that my 74 inch 1st Gens have been) are gonna be user friendly in that way. Similar to all this discussion about heat and stuff on the new Venture,, the owner/riders of those two bikes have a constant :stickpoke: going on about whether or not their rumored speed limiters (new Wing = 112 mph,, new Beemer 101 mph :confused24:) are in fact for real and,, being of the "gotta find out for myself" type,,, I intend to - among other things - find out the reality of such a device.

I also have a non-rental, all day "demo" ride invite on the V-4 Motus that I am VERY anxious to take advantage of too, that particular breed is definitely farther down the line of "sport touring" but it still should be fun..

Looking forward to reading your reporting on your new bike and also your :stickpoke: on the HD or whatever else you get to go play on and also cant wait to :stickpoke: on where ever the open road leads me too!!

Gonna a be a GREAT summer my friend!!!!!!!

Puc

What we need is for two or three riders on 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen and possibly a 1st Gen... start with cold motors on a day that is 80+ degrees. Ride for two hours and then take temperature readings of the exhaust pipe headers, and the area immediately around where the rider and passenger legs would be. This would give a true real world heat perspective. Otherwise it is subjective.

What we need is for two or three riders on 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen and possibly a 1st Gen... start with cold motors on a day that is 80+ degrees. Ride for two hours and then take temperature readings of the exhaust pipe headers, and the area immediately around where the rider and passenger legs would be. This would give a true real world heat perspective. Otherwise it is subjective.

ChiefGunner brings up a good point that we sometimes forget. It's not only about Venture generations...but how dang big is the target engines to compare for heat output?

All bikes tested, would have to be at least the highest common denominator...that being...all at almost 1,800 cc's...

That's one metric alone that can skew any one-on-one end results. He brought up a very valid point.

Some past generation Venture riders..say that their ride is cooler..ok...but besides the very obvious cooling formats of both the old and the 3rd Gen...isn't the 2nd Gen at least having 25 % less C.C. capacity? That alone, would skew results, to my way of thinking. I honestly think after reading all the posts, from other's and reviewing my own, is simply and elegantly...this: Owning a motorcycle, or even trying to convince one to buy or reject based on mechanics or electronic features, OR EVEN PERCEIVED OR APPLIED HEAT TO THE RIDER.....like the BORG......is futile. Totally futile. It is a toy after all, and a luxury item, unlike a car. It's ALL about the emotional and fun 'return' on owning that bike, that snow mobile, that boat...

Bottom line...and always will be.....There are ten absolutely, the same, bikes in a row. The only difference in them, other than------->...same engine, same heat output, same saddle, same, same...the only difference for dang's sake, is the COLOR. Guess what...I picked the red one. Guess what...you picked the yellow one. Same bike..all the other bikes get picked up by another 8 riders...same bike...we ride away on different colors, is all.

We ride, what attracts us. That's my new M.O. lol. If a guy or gal goes by on a skate board. ROCK ON! And it can be any color THEY WANT....LOLOLOLOL. Yep...new easy-peasy Joe-M.O. I won't try to convince anybody that the should be looking at the SVTC. They already have to WANT to...you can lead a horse to water...blah, blah..but yep..you can't make them drink. (large smile spanned across this entire post)!

"Ride 'em, Cowboy!", 50cc, or 1800.cc...just ride 'em...

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Wouldn't the second and third gens automatically be hotter catching the exhaust off the 1st gen out front?😝😝😝

Good on ya Yamster!! I am thinking very seriously about doing a 1st time in my life bike rental this year too.. I would LOVE to spend a day on the new Wing and then another one on the new Beemer Grand America. I am a glutten for performance based touring scoots and still see no reason why a modern day touring rider cant have his cake and eat it too when it comes to getting serious work load capacity (high torque) as well as requiring that work load be completed in record breaking time and with record breaking speed (high HP).. I have always been impressed with my little 1200cc V-4 and its ability to crawl up a mountain in 5th gear at 50mph fully loaded but then also break 105 mph/into the 12's in the 1/4 mile and 130+ out on the salt at Bonneville. That said, I just have a sneaking hunch that both the new Wing and the new Beemer (both considerably larger motors that my 74 inch 1st Gens have been) are gonna be user friendly in that way. Similar to all this discussion about heat and stuff on the new Venture,, the owner/riders of those two bikes have a constant :stickpoke: going on about whether or not their rumored speed limiters (new Wing = 112 mph,, new Beemer 101 mph :confused24:) are in fact for real and,, being of the "gotta find out for myself" type,,, I intend to - among other things - find out the reality of such a device.

I also have a non-rental, all day "demo" ride invite on the V-4 Motus that I am VERY anxious to take advantage of too, that particular breed is definitely farther down the line of "sport touring" but it still should be fun..

Looking forward to reading your reporting on your new bike and also your :stickpoke: on the HD or whatever else you get to go play on and also cant wait to :stickpoke: on where ever the open road leads me too!!

Puc

Hey Puc just an FYI: I've had my SVTC to 110mph and she was still ROCK SOLID with plenty to spare!

Puc

Puc...a deep down and dark---->Life secret...

I have always wanted to own a classic BMW, horizontally opposed, air-cooled, from the day of my being in grade 9, onward. I would see a teach at our high school ride in on a 1967 or 1968 or '69 BMW 500 and/or 600, (not sure now...a long time ago...) the one with the ignition switch at the top of the headlight housing. Cantilever front naked suspension. Black..with that GORGEOUS enamel black and white BMW logo on both sides of the tank. Gawd.....gawd...I wanted one. Guys were dreaming about the good looking gals at school. I was dreaming of that new BMW 600 waiting for me...at the Beemer Dealership. That was the love of my life back then...

Fast forward...to today. The closet thing to that, would be the RT1200...and gawd help me...if I ever rented that bike to ride...because a human being has limits...and the Devil knows and acts on that....and if it would be ANYTHING like the boy of the past thought it might...I'd be cutting a cheque at the dealer I rented from...and would be needing a good divorce lawyer...30 minutes after bringing it home...

So..will I actually Bucket List/Rent that RT1200. HELL NO. Will I ever (Bucket List) take the Bavarian Tour with the BMW Factory...on the Beemer of my choice? HELL NO! That's not going to happen...I soon will be retiring...and I don't want to put a local divorce lawyer's daughter through college, or part pay for her wedding....not GOING TO HAPPEN!

That...honestly...is my 'dirty little life secret' that until now only has been voiced, in the Confessional. "Whew...it feels so GOOD to finally come clean after all these years! Wow...everybody should do this, and Let 'er RIP! "Freedom...I am FREEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Joe

Puc...a deep down and dark---->Life secret...

I have always wanted to own a classic BMW, horizontally opposed, air-cooled, from the day of my being in grade 9, onward. I would see a teach at our high school ride in on a 1967 or 1968 or '69 BMW 500 and/or 600, (not sure now...a long time ago...) the one with the ignition switch at the top of the headlight housing. Cantilever front naked suspension. Black..with that GORGEOUS enamel black and white BMW logo on both sides of the tank. Gawd.....gawd...I wanted one. Guys were dreaming about the good looking gals at school. I was dreaming of that new BMW 600 waiting for me...at the Beemer Dealership. That was the love of my life back then...

Fast forward...to today. The closet thing to that, would be the RT1200...and gawd help me...if I ever rented that bike to ride...because a human being has limits...and the Devil knows and acts on that....and if it would be ANYTHING like the boy of the past thought it might...I'd be cutting a cheque at the dealer I rented from...and would be needing a good divorce lawyer...30 minutes after bringing it home...

So..will I actually Bucket List/Rent that RT1200. HELL NO. Will I ever (Bucket List) take the Bavarian Tour with the BMW Factory...on the Beemer of my choice? HELL NO! That's not going to happen...I soon will be retiring...and I don't want to put a local divorce lawyer's daughter through college, or part pay for her wedding....not GOING TO HAPPEN!

That...honestly...is my 'dirty little life secret' that until now only has been voiced, in the Confessional. "Whew...it feels so GOOD to finally come clean after all these years! Wow...everybody should do this, and Let 'er RIP! "Freedom...I am FREEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Joe

Okay YPE,

You asked for this. I already toldja about one of my cousins who switched to the Harley from a Goldwing, and how much they liked it, and that story about caused you to run down and buy a new Road Glide. LOL!!!

Welllllll........I have another cousin. Lol. He and his wife rode a Suzuki V-Strom 2 up for a couple years, and then he decided to get a touring bike. The bike he finally decided on was a BMW R1200RT. WHAT A SWEEETTTT FREAKIN BIKE!!! Over the past 4 years he and her have ridden that bike to 47 states, and this coming June they are heading out on a trip to get the final 3 states on their map. I have had the opportunity to ride it a few times, and WOW!!! An incredible machine!

Okay, I'll shut up now. Don't wanna instigate any divorce proceedings for ya.

Big Lenny

Okay YPE,

You asked for this. I already toldja about one of my cousins who switched to the Harley from a Goldwing, and how much they liked it, and that story about caused you to run down and buy a new Road Glide. LOL!!!

Welllllll........I have another cousin. Lol. He and his wife rode a Suzuki V-Strom 2 up for a couple years, and then he decided to get a touring bike. The bike he finally decided on was a BMW R1200RT. WHAT A SWEEETTTT FREAKIN BIKE!!! Over the past 4 years he and her have ridden that bike to 47 states, and this coming June they are heading out on a trip to get the final 3 states on their map. I have had the opportunity to ride it a few times, and WOW!!! An incredible machine!

Big Lenny

What are ya trying to do Lenny?! Give him a mental breakdown too?

Okay YPE,

Big Lenny

(Sniff, sniff)...."Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (Sniff, sniff.....)

Blowing nose....wiping eyes...

images.jpg

download.jpg

Joe reaches for another Kleenex....., "a question...how many freakin' cousins do you have? Wait...wait....don't answer...I don't need an answer...."

(Sniff, sniff)...."Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sniff, sniff.....)

Blowing nose....wiping eyes...

Joe reaches for another Kleenex....., "a question...how many freakin' cousins do you have? Wait...wait....don't answer...I don't need an answer...."

Now look what I've gone and done...........

Now look what I've gone and done...........

I TRIED to warn you dude! Too late, the damage is done. By the time Joe gets his bike even though it’s REAL SOON, he’s gonna be a basket case!

UPDATE: Just an FYI, I guess I’m sticking around. I just paid my membership!

Some past generation Venture riders..say that their ride is cooler..ok...but besides the very obvious cooling formats of both the old and the 3rd Gen...isn't the 2nd Gen at least having 25 % less C.C. capacity? That alone, would skew results, to my way of thinking....

Have heard a lot of comments/comparisons to the 2nd Gens as to engine heat. I'd just like to know how much a difference there might be and "scientifically" put it to rest.

As to comparing different engine sizes apples to oranges. Have to disagree with you on this. We are talking touring bikes that are meant to ride for hours. Whether it is a 1300 V4 or a 1800 twin they both get you there. A comparison on heat is valid.

Have heard a lot of comments/comparisons to the 2nd Gens as to engine heat. I'd just like to know how much a difference there might be and "scientifically" put it to rest.

As to comparing different engine sizes apples to oranges. Have to disagree with you on this. We are talking touring bikes that are meant to ride for hours. Whether it is a 1300 V4 or a 1800 twin they both get you there. A comparison on heat is valid.

I respect your take, of course! :)

I am totally there XV, matter of fact, I took my infra red temp ray gun along with me to Sturgis last year with doing exactly what you mention in mind, along with a list of questions from our members here to ask the Reps. After an oppsss moment when comparing old and new as shown in the 1st video below,,,, followed by kind of a rough start to my initial attempt at asking those questions as shown in video 2,,,,, when I finally did get the attention of the factory "tech guys" as instructed in video 2 I think the word had gotten out that I was not quite normal and they refused to allow my temp gun on site.. I still think your idea of taking the bikes tempature is a valid, scientific method of testing as, regardless of engine size or whatever - a measured temp gives a good basis for knowing what the rider/passanger is going to be subjected to IMHO.. I am one who believes it doesnt really make any difference in where/what/who/how the heat source is = a measured 200 degrees (example) is 200 degrees..

Another simple test that I would LOVE to see done, and maybe - someday an owner of one of the new bikes would be willing to participate in this,, would be to put comparable payloads on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Gens - stick em top gear - run em down to 35 mph with a camera on the speedo's, open em up on a flat surface and see how long it takes each one to hit 100 mph with no down shifting.. IMHO, this should reveal some torque/hp questions concerning the bikes..

Wouldn't the second and third gens automatically be hotter catching the exhaust off the 1st gen out front?😝😝😝

Ha, ha, ha, love it! What I really want to know and in time will hear from someone I guess is how does that v2 run in say 1/8th. mile compared to the v4's? Also, I really like the looks and features of the gen. 3 but I just can't pull the trigger for what it would cost me considering how little I'd get out of my 06 with 57,000 miles AND how much I like my 06. Time or dependability may make that trigger easier to pull though eventually. If not an RSV I think I'd go with an Indian though.

Ha, ha, ha, love it! What I really want to know and in time will hear from someone I guess is how does that v2 run in say 1/8th. mile compared to the v4's? Also, I really like the looks and features of the gen. 3 but I just can't pull the trigger for what it would cost me considering how little I'd get out of my 06 with 57,000 miles AND how much I like my 06. Time or dependability may make that trigger easier to pull though eventually. If not an RSV I think I'd go with an Indian though.

Yep the used market isn't much right now. I'm going to try to unload the 1st gen this year. I know I'll take a beating but just don't ride it since I bought the 07. With long legs and beat up knees the 86 just isn't comfortable for long hauls. I gave 4K for the 07 with 30k miles on it last summer, that doesn't bode well for what the 86 will bring. Not enough $$$ in both of them to think of a new bike.