IGNORED

Blowing 15 Amp Signal fuse. (New thread)

Following Puc' s advice...

"Ty,, I've been down for long enough now that this simple little suggestion has probably already been made and I missed out on seeing it but,, maybe not so I will toss it out here.. If you are talking about popping a fuse (proving you have a short to ground somewhere) - if you pull the faulted fuse, then build a pig tail (or use a 12 volt test light but I like doing what I am telling you with the pig tail cause it stays in place better while I am fooling around with the harness) for the fuse panel where the fuse plugs in.. Simply use two male spade terminals crimped onto a piece of wire so you end up with one spade touching one fuse blade connector and another spade touching the other connector = basically ending up with a fuse with no fusable connector to blow - get it? Now attach a 12vdc light socket with light in it to that two wire pig tail = a tail light off an old bike works fine but so will anything holding like an 1157ish - dont use a headlight though as it will draw to much.. Now when you turn your key on, if that circuit is gone to ground the 12v light will light up as it has a source and its grounded somewhere = get it? If its not grounded and you were not blowing a fuse - the jumper wire your light is hooked to would only have a source - it would not be grounded. Now, with the key on and the light shining away, start unplugging devices associated with that circuit.. Everything is suspect.. You could looking at running light on bike having lost its element to ground internally = still working but shorted out.. Ya just keep fiddling till the light goes out.. Dont be afraid to move harnesses around some - sometimes just jiggling wires will cause the light to blink and instantly hook you up with the source.. Also dont forget to test the leads heading down to the stator - its not impossible for shorts to occur there...

Any of this make any sense?? Hope so!! If I one of the clubs actual electronics guru's now come on here and tell me I am nuts and correct my idea we will both gain [emoji23] so consider the "source" of your logic here too :hurts:"

Ok. Pigtail and an old tail light from a trailer is working fine. I have unplugged and replugged every connector coming from my Brown Line out of the signal fuse.NOTHING CHANGES, BLINKS OR CHANGES IN ANY WAY when things are unplugged!

Are the rear turn signals supposed to be on as running lights as well? They only turn on when the hazard lights are turned on. Also, no turn signals now. Moving the turn signal switch does nothing but the hazard switch and lights work when activated. Time to tear apart the the switch? What do I look for in there when I take it apart?

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

If I remember correctly, the signal lights are for signal only, I don't remember having them act as markers. So that might be a source. Check how many live wires go to the fixture, there should be 1 live and one ground, the ground being black.

All of the things you have wrong all share two things in common, they are all powered by the signal fuse and they all have the same ground.

Do you have a good fuse in the signal position?

Do you still have the test light in the signal fuse position? All of that stuff will not work with the test bulb in place.

Do you have both ground wires connected to the battery?

All of the things you have wrong all share two things in common, they are all powered by the signal fuse and they all have the same ground.

Do you have a good fuse in the signal position?

Do you still have the test light in the signal fuse position? All of that stuff will not work with the test bulb in place.

Do you have both ground wires connected to the battery?

That was with the light in place. 30 seconds before that I tried another fuse and it blew as soon as I turn the key passed accessory.

My office neighbor just opened his transmission shop and he checked all my ground from battery and said I was fine. He hasn't had any time to help me for 2 weeks. I hate to ask him as he's busy getting his business going and staying quite busy by the way. He mentioned three or four times while we were going through it how much he was impressed with the electrical wiring drawings that we have for that 83. He couldn't remember seeing any of that were as easy to follow and use and complete

OK, That bulb that you have wired in, in place of the fuse is for finding the short that is blowing the fuse. All of the stuff that is powered by that fuse will not work with the bulb in place.

When you turn the key on does that test bulb light?

OK, That bulb that you have wired in, in place of the fuse is for finding the short that is blowing the fuse. All of the stuff that is powered by that fuse will not work with the bulb in place.

When you turn the key on does that test bulb light?

Yes

Everything in it's time. Gonna pull an all niter if I have to. Supposed to be 65 degrees tomorrow afternoon before switching over to crap again for a week. There's even rumors that somebody might be pointing a snow machine our direction sometime after the next few days.

Everything in it's time. Gonna pull an all niter if I have to. Supposed to be 65 degrees tomorrow afternoon before switching over to crap again for a week. There's even rumors that somebody might be pointing a snow machine our direction sometime after the next few days.

Well I would tell you to go for it, But that is where I screwed up I got overly exited to get at the time (marie) out of the garage and onto pavement I rushed, It wasn't just that either when I have rushed other jobs I was working on. I actually lost a job because I got into a rush and pinched some wires and my van shut down completely went dark on my way back from court!! Another time I got into a hurry and ruined a trani pump and torque converter because I got into a rush.

I would say forget the ride tomorrow and get a new fuse panel installed, checking all the wires as you do it. one of our members sells a kit to replace the fuse block with a modern blade type fuse, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=59&title=first-gen-vr-fuse-box-upgrade-kit&cat=17 . A lot of us here have upgraded as over time the spring clips for the glass tube fuses will break or crack and not give you a positive connection.

Taking you time now will save you time in the long run and trouble when out on the road.

Rick F.

I would say forget the ride tomorrow and get a new fuse panel installed, checking all the wires as you do it. one of our members sells a kit to replace the fuse block with a modern blade type fuse, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=59&title=first-gen-vr-fuse-box-upgrade-kit&cat=17 . A lot of us here have upgraded as over time the spring clips for the glass tube fuses will break or crack and not give you a positive connection.

Taking you time now will save you time in the long run and trouble when out on the road.

Rick F.

First thing I did when I bought it was to replace it. I'm going home. Tonight I repaired those melted wires and put the dash back in. I plugged everything in, turned the key, blew the fuse. Sent a few choice expletives in the air, thrashed my arms wildly because I don't throw things anymore , stamped my feet a few times, and now I'm leaving. This silly thing has frustrated me at every turn. I will crate it up. Who wants it? 3778c0177f657eb794ca7d8d3b411c07.jpg

First thing I did when I bought it was to replace it. I'm going home. Tonight I repaired those melted wires and put the dash back in. I plugged everything in, turned the key, blew the fuse. Sent a few choice expletives in the air, thrashed my arms wildly because I don't throw things anymore , stamped my feet a few times, and now I'm leaving. This silly thing has frustrated me at every turn. I will crate it up. Who wants it? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/3778c0177f657eb794ca7d8d3b411c07.jpg

POOP

For a second there I was :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: right along with you Ty!!!!!! RATSssssss

Dont give up though,, you are DEFINITELY on the right path!!

POOP

For a second there I was :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: right along with you Ty!!!!!! RATSssssss

Dont give up though,, you are DEFINITELY on the right path!!

Yeah I read my closing quote on one of these post and reminded myself that eventually Job was blessed for his faithfulness. (Old Testiment Job for those who may not get the reference)

With those melted wires you repaired, there obviously is a short somewhere. What do the melted wires eventually control? Is it possible that one of the many plugs has an internal short? You might take your continuity meter and just probe around the wires side by side in plugs and see if something is bleeding over to the wire next to it, especially around ground wires. Unhook battery first. I hate electrical troubleshooting, glad you don't throw things, lol. It started after your bike was at the mechanic, so it's just got to be something simple and goofy going on.

This link may be of value: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?22513-Blowing-fuse

Edited by SpencerPJ

With those melted wires you repaired, there obviously is a short somewhere. What do the melted wires eventually control? Is it possible that one of the many plugs has an internal short? You might take your continuity meter and just probe around the wires side by side in plugs and see if something is bleeding over to the wire next to it, especially around ground wires. Unhook battery first. I hate electrical troubleshooting, glad you don't throw things, lol. It started after your bike was at the mechanic, so it's just got to be something simple and goofy going on.

This link may be of value: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?22513-Blowing-fuse

Thanks. Yeah I read through that yesterday while I had the laptop out and saw those links two similar threads on my page. The Tapatalk app on my phone doesn't show all those kind of things that the website does. I read a couple others it sounds like I just need to start opening up more bundles and see what I find. These were all covered in a black tube that looked fine on the outside once we stripped It Off, hello! I've got more time today so I'm going to eat a little breakfast and head over to the shop and just keep plugging away and unplugging and replugging.

On the bright side, I made 9 beautifully soldered wire joints last night!

It certainly does not look like it is intended to make contact, so if in doubt, place a piece of electrical tape over it. I still feel your issue is somewhere where your mechanic was monkeying around, unless he was in that switch.
I have the dash pulled out and the higher wiring harness pulled out and now I know for positive the hardness is okay. Now I'm going to start plugging everything in one at a time and testing as each one is added back to the string. Just like about 10 of you have told me I was supposed to do from the beginning. I'm nothing if not stubborn I guess. I'll head back there Right after a little nap. Zzzz

Now is a good time to hook that light back into the circuit to replace the fuse that is blowing. If it light up at this point, then don't plug anything in, keep unplugging as much as you can until it goes out, that includes light bulbs, horn, stator, TCI, anything plugged into the system. Then if it goes out you have the circuit that is giving trouble. If it's out at this point start plugging things back in, and when it lights up you'll know where to start looking. Sorry to make this a long tedious job, but that is the only way to find it.

Now is a good time to hook that light back into the circuit to replace the fuse that is blowing. If it light up at this point, then don't plug anything in, keep unplugging as much as you can until it goes out, that includes light bulbs, horn, stator, TCI, anything plugged into the system. Then if it goes out you have the circuit that is giving trouble. If it's out at this point start plugging things back in, and when it lights up you'll know where to start looking. Sorry to make this a long tedious job, but that is the only way to find it.
So just what is a reserve lighting unit? That's where I'm getting my first issue after plugging everything else on the bike minus the dash board

now in your other thread you have the canceling unit pictured, first off you may want to check your flash unit for the turn signals the flashers are on the left side of the bike under the upper fairing bar I believe one is round and the other is square. trace your wiring diagram for your turn signals. Your flasher could be shorted. yes the flasher for the turn signal is kind of a big rectangler thing it should have a C by one of the plugs which is the wire that goes to your canceling unit.