IGNORED

Any electrical guys here?

grubsie

We got down to Vieques, Puerto Rico a few days ago for a 2 week vacation. Although there is power most days in the main parts of the island, there is no power at all in the hills with all the downed poles and lines. Knowing this, I sent the largest wattage generator I could through the US Mail which was a 1500 watt continuous, 1800 watt surge generator. It's powering the 30" fridge and lights in our house without any problems.

Well my wife for some reason, decided to do a load of clothes in the washing machine while I was out getting supplies. She unplugged the fridge before using the washer. Anyway, when I got back home, she told me that the washer ran all the way through until the final spin when she could smell burnt rubber. She thought it was coming from the generator so she stopped the washer. Upon inspection, the smell is coming from the washer. The generator has been chugging along happily since, so no problems there.

Is it possible that the motor on the washing machine fried? The burnt smell is pretty bad when you go into the wash room.

Is it possible that the motor on the washing machine fried? The burnt smell is pretty bad when you go into the wash room.

Would appear the washing machine was not getting enough power and overheated. Depending on how the generator was hooked up it is possible there was too much voltage drop before getting to the washer, extension cords? Also depending on the hookup, your little generator may have been supplying some of its energy to the rest of the neighbourhood.

Well, your 1500 watt generator breaks down to about 12.5 amps at 1500 watts and 120 volts. Rule of thumb for most washing machines is probably around 10 amps. So, you are just about using all your available power just for the washing machine. With much of anything else turned on, lights, etc., you were very likely exceeding the power capabilities of the generator. Your 10/3 wire is rated about 30 amps so you should be fine with what the generator can put out. My guess would be that you are correct in that along with the washing machine, some lights, etc., the voltage was low and caused the motor windings and wire to the motor to overheat. It's been a long time since I've done any major electrical work but I was an electrician for about 20 years, almost all industrial, and low voltage can certainly cause such issues. I'm surprised though that if you were actually pulling too many amps, that the breaker on the generator didn't trip. I assume it has one. Of course, it's not like it would have tripped instantly as it would with a short circuit or something. They can take a good while to trip if you are just a few amps over their rating.

Yep,, my money would be on some starved windings in there got cooked.. Looks like ya had about 12 amps total available (wattage/voltage=amps) and I would almost bet that washing machine is on a 20 amp circuit ( #12 romex, breakered @20 amps) and the washer motor is rated around 10 amps - maybe 12 with a startup draw closing in on 15 amps - even more if heavy loaded).. Thinking about it,, I wouldnt be surprised that spinning er up to get the water out of the clothes (kind of like dropping your scoot into OD = takes umph and is a known spot for clutch slippage to be noticed) would also be a high amp demand zone - easy to check with a clip on amp probe.. Toss in a few lights in the house being on and that available amperage is greatly reduced..

I would pop the front off it and double check for burned belt cause they can stink too but would do so expecting to see/smell/find a toasted washer motor - toasted windings can sure make a stink..

By the way,, if it is roached,, might wanna check on new motor.. I was shocked at how cheap some of those have parts have become for some models.. I completely rebuilt our dryer not long ago and I dont think I had over 20 bucks in parts for it = wayyy cheaper than new!!

Well, your 1500 watt generator breaks down to about 12.5 amps at 1500 watts and 120 volts. Rule of thumb for most washing machines is probably around 10 amps. So, you are just about using all your available power just for the washing machine. With much of anything else turned on, lights, etc., you were very likely exceeding the power capabilities of the generator. Your 10/3 wire is rated about 30 amps so you should be fine with what the generator can put out. My guess would be that you are correct in that along with the washing machine, some lights, etc., the voltage was low and caused the motor windings and wire to the motor to overheat. It's been a long time since I've done any major electrical work but I was an electrician for about 20 years, almost all industrial, and low voltage can certainly cause such issues. I'm surprised though that if you were actually pulling too many amps, that the breaker on the generator didn't trip. I assume it has one. Of course, it's not like it would have tripped instantly as it would with a short circuit or something. They can take a good while to trip if you are just a few amps over their rating.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the input guys. Just something I was thinkg about after my wife trying to run the washer.

Not going to worry about it too much until someday when the island has total restored power, whenever that may be. After all, It's only been 5 months now since Maria and no power. They only have 3 electrical trying the best they can with the few resources they have.

Besides, I am more concerned about using the resources I have to help as many people on the island as I can for the 2 weeks I am here. That takes a much higher priority than a washing machine.

Yep, Freebird was spot on I think. The more electricity you use, the lower the voltage and the higher the amps. It takes a certain amount of watts to do the work and volts x amps =watts. Think if it like a water system. It has a certain pressure (voltage). The more water you use (amps), the lower the pressure. If the voltage gets too low and the amps too high, the motor will get hot, possibly too hot.

If you were having a rubber smell I would think belt first. Sure you have electrical issues and therefore your mind would go to electrical, but electrical don't smell like rubber and I find that most people can identify the difference, at least they can identify rubber smell, so I would check the belt before walking away.

We got down to Vieques, Puerto Rico a few days ago for a 2 week vacation. Although there is power most days in the main parts of the island, there is no power at all in the hills with all the downed poles and lines. Knowing this, I sent the largest wattage generator I could through the US Mail which was a 1500 watt continuous, 1800 watt surge generator. It's powering the 30" fridge and lights in our house without any problems.

Well my wife for some reason, decided to do a load of clothes in the washing machine while I was out getting supplies. She unplugged the fridge before using the washer. Anyway, when I got back home, she told me that the washer ran all the way through until the final spin when she could smell burnt rubber. She thought it was coming from the generator so she stopped the washer. Upon inspection, the smell is coming from the washer. The generator has been chugging along happily since, so no problems there.

Bet it's a belt. They stink bad!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Easiest way to check if you do not have a clamp on is to just set your multi meter to AC volts and stick the probes in the socket to see what that actual voltage to the washer is while it is running. Anything under 110 and you are really stressing the motor.

It is not just the extension cord length, the electricity does not know the difference between an extension cord and the wiring in the wall. So all of that length counts and part of the extension cord length. the only way to tell for sure is to check the voltage at the load. There has been more than one brand of generator that will not actually hold full voltage all the way up to rated load. If the genny voltage starts to sag as it approaches it continuous rating, add in the resistance of a couple hundred feet od wire and presto, insufficient power at the load.

Internet has been very spotty here so it's been tough getting back online.

Been busy the last few days helping out the people here. Cutting back fallen trees, fixing fences to keep the horses out (horses run free on the island), covering roofless houses with tarps, shoring up collapsed roofs, getting water lines repaired to their houses etc. Also have been sharing my generator to keep their fridges cool as the power has been off and on all over the island for the past several days. A lot of long hours of work everyday. Not complaining though as the wonderful people here need as much help as they can get. It's a crap show but you would never know it by the spirit of the people.

Anyway, I pulled the belt off the washing machine and the motor would not spin so it was the motor. Talked to my neighbor and long time friend about it and he brought me over to this really nice poor old guy that he knows that had tons of old washers, dryers etc at his property. We spent a about an hour searching through his stuff until we found a motor that would work. It was a 1/3hp motor vs the 1/2hp that was in my washer. He asked for $10.00 so I gladly paid him $50.00 for it. It was obvious he could use it.

Took about 10 minutes to install it it. Runs perfect on my little generator so we are happier than words can describe. The dirty sweaty clothes were piling up pretty quickly.

Leaving next Wednesday and can't wait until we get back here 4 weeks after next Wednesday.