IGNORED

2018 Yamaha Venture Gen 3 Iron Butt this Sunday- at least I will try

VentureFar

As I wrote on my Eluder 500 mile day thread, I have a new very bestest friend in the whole wide universe that works for UltimateMotorcycling.com and is feeding me all this fun. Tomorrow night I will have in my hands a brand spanking new 2018 Venture for test riding. Saturday I plan to ride 2up with my wife to get her ( and my) impression of the pillion verses my Gen 2. On Sunday I plan to head from Los Angeles to Tucson AZ and back to do an official Saddle Sore Iron Butt. I have done 2 before on my Gen 2 so I know what to expect and how to compare. Yamaha says the bike is "Transcontinental" so I want to put that to the test. The weather looks great for a warm winter day in the Southwest. @cowpuc this is what we have been talking about for 6 months.

I am concerned about the pain that will come from the hyper extension position of my feet on the forward end of the floor boards. I don't like to have my feet under me due to old knees and extending out on the long floor boards is great for the knees but causes a hyper flex of my feet at the ankles. picture a check mark with the small part of the check my foot and the long part my leg. The Venture won't have highway pegs.

More as I get it. Glad I have this opportunity to share this fun stuff.

VentureFar...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And about that mostest amazingly awesome new bestest friend neighbor of yours = I HAVE GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE :Laugh::Laugh::Laugh::Laugh::Laugh::Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

Wishing the two of you NOTHING but the absolute GRANDEST of fun out there on that new scoot scoot VentureFar!! Same old, same old,,,,,,,, ride safe,,, take extra special care of that precious wife of yours and make us proud (again) with some AWESOME pics and stories!! CAN NOT WAIT TO HEAR ALL ABOUT IT!!

P.S. - please fill the bags like you were packing to for a 2 month trip so we can get on honest report of its InterContiniental capabilities..

P.S.S. - please put it in top gear - touring mode, fully loaded and two up - camera on speedo, drop down to 35 mph and pin it wide open (stay in top gear) and hold it there till at least 70mph please... We took the attached video to compare with the one we rode but never had the chance to do the test - noting on our vid it took us about 11 seconds to go from 35 to 70 mph on our little 1200cc fully loaded Venture and would LOVE to see what that high torque motor that you will be playing with will produce.. Also please note your R's at 80 mph in top gear if you could - I just read that the new 4 valve Wing 6 popper is 2500 R's at 80 mph.

Sorry for sooo many questions Neil,, you know I aint I right in the head = get wayy to pumped up over this stuff :Bunny:

Thoughts, prayers, well wishes and TONS OF LOVE from Michigan as you two set out on yet another AMAZING journey!!

Best always my brother - love ya and THANK YOU again for sharing all this with us!!

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

Trying again with the pix

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111593

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am at dealership now looking at a charcoal grey beauty and I must say it makes me want it even more.. Probably won't qualify but want to view options the only downside is front forward controls. a20ea554d11d6ce529be1f5d8cc3cb65.jpg7a52a53fa0c96accadc24fdcd7c0566b.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Trying again with the pix

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111593

I would like to make a note of this, look at the pipe off the rear the heat sheild comes out and stops why did they not go ahead and bring it out and down? First thing I checked on the Venture at the dealerhip, I am happy to report I won't be going in debt just yet, but feel a bit of let down. I pay my bills I just don't get anything on credit I figured my credit would be good enuff for at least the Yamaha Bolt but I could not even get that but that is a beauty right along with the striker and the striker is water cooled!!!

I was gonna write something to :stirthepot:, :stickpoke: and create as much mischief here as I possibly could but a buddy called a bit ago to tell me that he heard on the radio that our local Honda shop has the new Wing on display so now Tip and I are gonna go see if we can get the KIA out of the garage (about a foot of fresh snow) and go see that great big beautiful new Honda Goldwing for our selves!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:fingers-crossed-emo my buddy wasnt listening to some fake news channel or just pulling my chain = he's a Harley riding varmint with a good heart but he LOVES to :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke: with me!!!:backinmyday:

Back in a bit!!

I was sitting on the 2018 for a good 15 minutes with the engine running and I have to report that the bike is so comfortably stable that I had the kick stand up the whole time. I could never do that on my Gen 2. They low cg makes itself real obvious in situations like this. I could never consider refueling my Gen 2 without putting the stand down but if the gen 3’s gas door flipped open “correctly” and not backwards I believe I could comfortably balance the bike and refuel it.

Wife woke up with a bit of a sore throat so she is questionable for tomorrow’s two up test.

VentureFar...

Not fun,, please tell your bride we are thinking of and praying for her,, hope she gets feeling good enough to get out and enjoy some time on that awesome new Venture!!

Looking forward to the next ride report installment!! You thinking of doing another Ultimate magazine report? LOVED the finish product of the Eluder = very well done!:thumbsup:

Not fun,, please tell your bride we are thinking of and praying for her,, hope she gets feeling good enough to get out and enjoy some time on that awesome new Venture!!

Looking forward to the next ride report installment!! You thinking of doing another Ultimate magazine report? LOVED the finish product of the Eluder = very well done!:thumbsup:

Wife says was just a sore throat scare. All good for tomorrow.

Yes I will be writing up both rides for ultimate motorcycling.

It is fun and I am happy to share the info with my fellow forumites. Is that a word?

VentureFar...

As I wrote on my Eluder 500 mile day thread, I have a new very bestest friend in the whole wide universe that works for UltimateMotorcycling.com and is feeding me all this fun. Tomorrow night I will have in my hands a brand spanking new 2018 Venture for test riding. Saturday I plan to ride 2up with my wife to get her ( and my) impression of the pillion verses my Gen 2. On Sunday I plan to head from Los Angeles to Tucson AZ and back to do an official Saddle Sore Iron Butt. I have done 2 before on my Gen 2 so I know what to expect and how to compare. Yamaha says the bike is "Transcontinental" so I want to put that to the test. The weather looks great for a warm winter day in the Southwest. cowpuc this is what we have been talking about for 6 months.

I am concerned about the pain that will come from the hyper extension position of my feet on the forward end of the floor boards. I don't like to have my feet under me due to old knees and extending out on the long floor boards is great for the knees but causes a hyper flex of my feet at the ankles. picture a check mark with the small part of the check my foot and the long part my leg. The Venture won't have highway pegs.

More as I get it. Glad I have this opportunity to share this fun stuff.

VentureFar...

:sign green with env:sign green with env:sign green with env:sign green with env:sign green with env:sign green with env:sign green with env:sign green with env:sign green with env:sign green with env

Initial impressions two up. After one hour ride to Ojai for lunch and of course shopping, wife says my 2007 Gen 2 is more comfortable. The wrap around on either side she misses. Says the seat is not as comfortable and the saddle bags don’t allow her freedom of leg position.

Air flow is similar to her and experience on my Venture bu not was a bit cool and she did like the seat heater.

More to come.

VentureFar...

Initial impressions two up. After one hour ride to Ojai for lunch and of course shopping, wife says my 2007 Gen 2 is more comfortable. The wrap around on either side she misses. Says the seat is not as comfortable and the saddle bags don’t allow her freedom of leg position.

Air flow is similar to her and experience on my Venture bu not was a bit cool and she did like the seat heater.

More to come.

VentureFar...

Would love to know your thoughts on the heat coming off the rear cylinder?

Ride safe

Would love to know your thoughts on the heat coming off the rear cylinder?

Ride safe

Read my ride report on the Eluder- see link.

Short answer is if live where the temp never gets above 78 degrees you won’t notice it. If you live where it gets above 78 degrees you will be looking for ways to keep your left thigh from baking. It is hot and uncomfortable on the eluder.

I haven’t ridden above 75 degrees on the Venture yet. It does have the side fairing wind deflectors that might help, but at a long stop light on a hot day it will be a problem.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/02/07/2018-yamaha-star-eluder-test-death-valley-bust/

phoenix should be in the low 80’s today.

More when I have it

VentureFar...

Sooo,, while we in the great white, severely White Washed, North are hunkered down in our frost bitten little cabins and found shooting rubber bands at little field mice who are playing on our counter tops as we wait for our hero from California to get on here and report in with yet another one of his AWESOME 3rd Gen Venture/Eluder ride reports (wait for it,,, waittt forr itt :icon_lurker:) ,,, wanna hear about a preminition I had??

I had a dream that our hero forgot to c-clamp the floorboards down on the new Yammy he is test riding and this oversight on his part caused him to not be able to complete the Iron Butt he had planned!:yikes:

:sign67:

Edited by cowpuc

Sooo,, while we in the great white, severely White Washed, North are hunkered down in our frost bitten little cabins and found shooting rubber bands at little field mice who are playing on our counter tops as we wait for our hero from California to get on here and report in with yet another one of his AWESOME 3rd Gen Venture/Eluder ride reports (wait for it,,, waittt forr itt :icon_lurker:) ,,, wanna hear about a preminition I had??

I had a dream that our hero forgot to c-clamp the floorboards down on the new Yammy he is test riding and this oversight on his part caused him to not be able to complete the Iron Butt he had planned!:yikes:

:sign67:

Well it is close to being true. I planned on 1024 miles in 18 hours today.

I only did 553 miles today because it hurt too much. Everyone is different but after 4 hours in the saddle I got a kink in my neck and a knot in my back. I found my limit on the 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental as ridden - 276 miles and 4 hours and 40 minutes- and I still had to do the same to get home. The problem for me was no highway pegs to put pressure on so I could utilize the back rest.

I am starting my ride report tonight and will be submitting to my new best friends at UltimateMotorcycling.com for posting, just like the Eluder ride. I also took my wife for a couple of hour two up ride yesterday and she had lots to say about the pillion area.

Feel free to ask questions if you can’t wait for the write up. Happy to answer any and all.

Fyi @cowpuc and I had a couple of hour long conversations while enroute. Helped pass the time.

Here is what pic and I came up with for quick and dirty highway pegs

C2787843-C484-4549-BA69-5A71A056ADC0.jpg

Venturefar...

Well it is close to being true. I planned on 1024 miles in 18 hours today.

I only did 553 miles today because it hurt too much. Everyone is different but after 4 hours in the saddle I got a kink in my neck and a knot in my back. I found my limit on the 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental as ridden - 276 miles and 4 hours and 40 minutes- and I still had to do the same to get home. The problem for me was no highway pegs to put pressure on so I could utilize the back rest.

I am starting my ride report tonight and will be submitting to my new best friends at UltimateMotorcycling.com for posting, just like the Eluder ride. I also took my wife for a couple of hour two up ride yesterday and she had lots to say about the pillion area.

Feel free to ask questions if you can’t wait for the write up. Happy to answer any and all.

Fyi cowpuc and I had a couple of hour long conversations while enroute. Helped pass the time.

Here is what pic and I came up with for quick and dirty highway pegs

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111624

Venturefar...

SOOOOOO MUCH FUN VENTUREFAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While I highly suspect that our parents separating us when we were just infants actually may have saved our lives :big-grin-emoticon: I am glad that time/space and God Himself saw fit to reunite us though cause when it comes to having a brother = YOU are AWESOME!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

THANK YOU again for sharing your adventures with us and I, for one, eagerly await the next installment of - "Zip Tie's, Duct Tape and C-Clamp's"..

Keep on Venturing Far my friend!!

Puc

Glad you made it back ok. Had the Yukon ready to go if you needed something. Good thing you didn't call. The carb diaphram screws on my 89...4 of them decided to test me. But I won out after 4 hours of swearing!!

:scared:,,, another one of those winter time, :hijacked: opportunities appears on the horizon!!

Sooo,,Vaz, are you by chance talking about my favorite little screws on the whole bike that LOVE to take up permanent home in the carb housings? The little steel ones who once they get a little fuel vapor between them and that aluminum become nay sayers about letting anyone in to check diaphrams?? If so,, did you by chance happen to try using a prick punch at an angle on the side of them with a carefully placed WACK from that little 12 oz hammer ya got hanging on the wall?? I only ask because I have removed more stuck screws that way (and LOTS of those little diaphram cover screws in such a manner) thru the years...

Time for a video demo for these varmints?

Sorry about the :hijacked: Neil, couldnt resist... :sign busted: