IGNORED

Looking for new truck opinions.

BigLenny

I have been shopping 3/4 and 1 tons. The Titan has the lowest tow capacity of any of the 3/4. Dont know if that makes any difference to you or not. Not suprised the Ford won out on that link that was posted. I love my old cummins, but its a single cab and really could use a crew or super cab at minimum.

DJ,

The Titan has plenty of towing capacity for me. I tow about 4000# max during the summer with my trailer and zero turn, and if i am gonna tow more, I don't ever see myself getting to the 8000#-9000# mark.

BY the way; the Titan I've been talking about is not the Titan XD. Nissan makes 2 versions. The Titan XD, which is the one that they positioned between the 1/2 ton, and the 3/4 ton, and they make the regular Titan, which is a 1/2 ton pickup that competes at the level of the Ford F150, etc.

The reason you're seeing the Titan XD have a lower towing capacity than the main 3/4 ton trucks in the market is because Nissan hasn't built it to be a true 3/4 ton truck. they are trying to fill a slot in the middle.

Big Lenny

I would go Toyota first with the F150 as a very close second. Both awesome trucks. If you need to be seen with a new truck r/t your job it's understandable but there is no reason your current F150 shouldn't last for a VERY long time to come and give you a return on your investment through use, and more use, and even more use after that.

Casey,

Toyota is a great built truck, but they are going to have to get their gas mileage in line with the rest of the 1/2 ton world before I bite. And, as I stated before, their price point is considerably higher, and there has been no solid proof that they are performing with any more longevity than the other main players in the market.

As far as my job, it's not that I need to be seen with a new truck, I certainly know that the truck I have now will go 200K-300K miles, but my company has a policy that they want us to keep our vehicle within 5 year models of the current year, after that, they cut our monthly vehicle allowance per month in half. In my case, that point will be up when we get to 2019. The thing is though, if I wait until that point, I will have put another 30K miles on it, and taken a large hit on the value because it will cross 100K miles on the odo. So, right now is the perfect time to head that off.

Big Lenny

Let me preface this by saying I don't own a truck just a SUV and a big Buick (don't really need a truck). Why buy a new truck when you could buy a midsize sedan with twice the gas mileage or better and pay for it from the dollars saved on the gas money? Does the company require you to drive a truck or requires you to carry large equipment in it? Just use the sedan for work and park it on the weekends and use the truck and extend it's life.

Just curious, as I don't have any experience with pickups, so really can't add anything to this discussion. I am just trying to get thru this cold winter night, browsing the Forum.

OK, back to my corner.

Jim :icon_lurker:

Something to think about is that all 2018 F150s have the stop and go feature which means the engine shuts off every time you stop and restarts when you press the gas. You can turn it off but you have to turn it off every time you use the vehicle. That would irritate me. I have gravitated to Fords over the years because they won me over with their reliability. But, I won't buy another new one because of the stop and go feature.

I recommend you buy what you want after driving all the potential choices. I have never paid any attention to consumer reports on reliability or other opinions. Trade in value doesn't matter if you keep it a long time and you will keep something you like much longer.

Edited by BlueSky

Let me preface this by saying I don't own a truck just a SUV and a big Buick (don't really need a truck). Why buy a new truck when you could buy a midsize sedan with twice the gas mileage or better and pay for it from the dollars saved on the gas money? Does the company require you to drive a truck or requires you to carry large equipment in it? Just use the sedan for work and park it on the weekends and use the truck and extend it's life.

Just curious, as I don't have any experience with pickups, so really can't add anything to this discussion. I am just trying to get thru this cold winter night, browsing the Forum.

OK, back to my corner.

Jim :icon_lurker:

Jaycee,

Your reasoning is spot on for most folks. As a matter of fact, I drove cars to call on my customers for years. But, i am a big fella; 6'6" and 300# (dropping weight though). Several of us who sell for Grainger certainly buy and drive cars, but there are a large number of us who have decided, for daily comforts sake, to drive trucks. I made that decision in 2010 when I bought an F150 to travel to and from my clients facilities. Changing to a truck made a world of difference in my comfort, and it also allowed me to be able to carry certain sizes and amounts of samples that I could not do in a car.

Driving a car is far more economical than a truck, but for as long as I need a mobile office to make my living, I will go the truck route.

Another added benefit that I found out when I switched to trucks is: they hold there values waaayyyy better than cars and SUV's. For folks who are in the business of travelling with their vehicles, being able to trade with high mileage is very tricky when doing it with cars and SUV's. But, the trucks hold their values enough to where you can do that on a regular schedule and not get hurt. I'm not sure if that is a southern thing or not, because trucks are the luxury vehicles of the southern culture, and they go for crazy high numbers on the used market. Heck, down here, it's very common to see women and even older women, like grandma's driving crew cab trucks.

I'll give you an example of the truck culture down here; when I bought that truck in 2010, I loved it, and I was totally happy with it. One day, my wife and I went to eat with a couple who have been friends of ours for years. During dinner, my wife mentioned that I had gotten a new truck. The wife who we were eating with asked me to tell them all about it. I was describing the color and features and such, and she asked me a simple question. She asked "is it a 4x4?". I told her "no, I didn't need a 4x4". She then responded by saying. "it's not a truck unless it's a 4x4, everybody knows that". Now, this a woman who said this. Not a man, a woman. A very classy woman, who is the director of a medical center here in town. Not some redneck Honey Boo Boo type gal. Her husband glanced her when she said with the pride of kings. Lol. So, my point is: the truck culture here is so thick that even the women pay attention to them, and they hold their values like no other type of vehicle. I'm sure it is this way in other parts of the country too.

Big Lenny

Something to think about is that all 2018 F150s have the stop and go feature which means the engine shuts off every time you stop and restarts when you press the gas. You can turn it off but you have to turn it off every time you use the vehicle. That would irritate me. I have gravitated to Fords over the years because they won me over with their reliability. But, I won't buy another new one because of the stop and go feature.

I recommend you buy what you want after driving all the potential choices. I have never paid any attention to consumer reports on reliability or other opinions. Trade in value doesn't matter if you keep it a long time and you will keep something you like much longer.

BlueSky,

UGH!!! I hate that crap! I knew they had the feature on the 2018's, but I was told by the sales rep that you can disable it. But, if I have to do it everytime I get in the truck, that is a no no for me. I have high concerns about how much wear and tear that puts on the starter. That is a lotta starting being done by something that isn't used that often during the course of a normal owners day.

I have some reservations about the 3.5 Ecoboost V6 too. I know they're saying they're having some great success with it, but taking a small motor like that and spinning it up all the time with twin turbo's gives me a concern about longevity. That's a lotta pressure on that small powerplant. At least to me it feels that way.

BlueSky,

UGH!!! I hate that crap! I knew they had the feature on the 2018's, but I was told by the sales rep that you can disable it. But, if I have to do it everytime I get in the truck, that is a no no for me. I have high concerns about how much wear and tear that puts on the starter. That is a lotta starting being done by something that isn't used that often during the course of a normal owners day.

I have some reservations about the 3.5 Ecoboost V6 too. I know they're saying they're having some great success with it, but taking a small motor like that and spinning it up all the time with twin turbo's gives me a concern about longevity. That's a lotta pressure on that small powerplant. At least to me it feels that way.

Sorry to bust your bubble but that's going to be a requirement on all new vehicles soon. Ford just got it out first. What you loose in starter life you more than make up in brake life, u-joint stress, transmission heat, (no motor torque trying to move car). having driven a car with that technology you don't notice it at all. There no discernible lag when stepping on the gas, its not like starting that 56 buick,

Yeah, but I'm a left foot braker. I still have my left foot on the brake a little when I start pushing the go pedal. I doubt it would work right driving like I do. I know that Focus I rented a couple years ago had some screwed up trans that disengaged the automatic transmission when sitting stopped with the brake on. When I gave it gas the engine revved freely until I completely released the brake. I hated it. Won't buy one.

Wow, asking about a new truck generates as much or more input than a new motorcycle question.

A good friend of mine just bought a new Toyota 4x4. He really likes it after owning 3 Chevy and GMC trucks, all 4x4. I do not believe a person could go wrong with a Toyota product. If I did not want a long bed I would consider either of the pickups from Japan.

I am buying a new Ram 2500, 4x4, Laramie Longhorn, 8 ft bed, 6.4 L with everything except a sunroof. I haven't bought a new 4 wheeled vehicle since 1975, The Wife has but not me. Do I need it? No. But they make them and I want it and I can pay for it. Plus, since I am retired I have no idea what I might need to haul/pull with it. I have owned under powered light duty trucks then regretted buying them after I had to haul some big heavy stuff.

Why Ram? Well I have read good reports and I originally was entitled to the price the dealer pays the factory for it since my father in law retired from MoPar as an executive. I did a lot of research on them. All sounded good. However, before I decided to place the order, he died so no huge discount. Since I put so much time into researching it I am still going with the Ram. Also I have had very good experience with Chrysler products the last 23 years. I'll just have to pay more.

Good luck in you decision. It is a tough one.

I was going to chime in on the start and go thing. Wont be long and all gas powered stuff will be that way. One way to beat it is go F250. You ditch the mouse motor, the start and go thing. Bad part is cost a bit more, but I think your resale may be a bit better on the back end. OR you mentioned the company kind of traps you on 3-5 years vehicle age. Look at Off lease only.com. They have cars just off lease 1 or 2 years old for thousands less. I'm really considering it, I can pick up a F250 with under 20k miles for about 38k

I have a '16 Tundra SR5 double cab 4X4. Love it as a tow vehicle for my camper. Very comfortable for me. I looked at GM, Ford, Ram and Toyota. Tow ratings on the 5.3 GM's the dealers had in stock were a deal killer for me. I couldn't find the larger GM engine in stock locally in a truck I could afford. Test drove the other three and dropped the Ram because my wife didn't like the "hump" in the floor for the PTO on trucks that are so equipped. That left the F150 and the Tundra. The F150 EcoBoost had it all over the Tundra in options and conveniences, but I was sold on the more old school Tundra and it's towing package. With a 5.7 engine, six speed auto, 4.30 rear gear, aux coolers, limited slip, etc.. Gas mileage is not as good as any of the others, but for me it isn't a daily driver. If you want bells and whistles that are only available on the top of the line Tundra you are have to pay a big premium for the Toyota. I only looked briefly at the Nissan, didn't drive one because the dealership I visited left a bad first impression and I wouldn't have bought a wheelbarrow from them. I am weird that way.

Bottom line is I liked the Toyota, F150 and Ram. Wife didn't like the Ram. Properly equipped I think all three would have worked for me. The Toyota Tundra just "fit" both me and my needs. Have fun shopping!

Hi Folks,

Well.......I went and did it, and bought the Nissan Titan. Did the deal late last night. I will post pics shortly. I've been on the road with it today, and I will take pictures when I get home and post them.

In the end, It just came down to a financial deal that was too enticing to pass up. I bought it from a small Nissan dealer just over the border in Texarkana, Texas. I worked the deal with the owner of the dealership, in his personal office. He explained that he was willing to take a substantial loss on the deal, because it was the final deal to get him to a stairstep bonus that Nissan pays their dealers. The truck listed for $53,130.00, after negotiating for 3 days, I bought it for $38,872.00, and they gave me $30K for my trade, which Kelly Blue Book says is worth $27,800.00-$28,500.00. The final difference price was $8872.00. I just couldn't turn the deal down, especially with it coming with a factory 5yr/100K mile bumper to bumper warranty from Nissan.

It was a weird deal to me because I just wasn't completely sure about moving away from Fords to a Japanese truck. I struggled hard on that one. And, the truck has blacked out wheels, and a blacked out grill insert. I'm a chrome guy, blacked out isn't my thing. But, so far, I'm really liking the truck. Extremely nice rig. We'll see how it does as I put 30K miles a year on it.

I'll send pics tonight.

Big Lenny