IGNORED

Just finished putting this back together..............

DragonRider

When I went down to NOLA a couple of months ago to deliver a bike, I also brought back a couple of bikes with me, One was a XJ650 that was garage kept for 14 years, all original and a Honda XR100 that was given to my son that had been sitting for about 2 years out in the open. He was trying to fix it up for my 8 yr old grandson, but just couldnt find the time to get to it, so I brought it back to Newnan to play around with it and hopefully get it back in running condition. Pretty rough to begin with missing a few parts which were easily sourced either through ebay or amazon. Finally got all the parts in and it started on the 3rd attempt. Didnt restore it to like new because being his first m/c that isnt electric it will go down a few times I am sure. But it turned out pretty good for a freebie. Have yet to start on the XJ650 yet, that will have to wait till Charlene is out of the hospital for foot surgery and she is able to be up. Next 2 months I will be her full time nurse, again.Lew phone pics 026.jpgLew phone pics 027.jpgLew phone pics 028.jpgLew phone pics 025.jpg

Lew phone pics 002.jpg

Lew phone pics 001.jpg

Edited by DragonRider

WAYYYYYY COOL Fozzy!! :thumbsup:

Personally that lil XR100 is, bar non, my favorite "training bike" of all time!!! Some of the high end MX training schools agree with me too as they are still using those lil rippers to teach track skills to both amateur and A riders alike! Congrats brother on the GREAT find!!

Had you of posted this before you started getting er up and running I would have suggested that you pull the little 10mm bolt right above the spark plug on it BEFORE starting it and kicking it over until you get a good oil flow. Then kick 20x with the bolt in to get some oil in the top end (actually, preferable to remove the valve cover and squirt the cam down real good) to insure no cam journal damage but,, thats a mute subject now..

Only other thing I can think of that you might wanna check on the XR before turning out for rototilling the back yard would be to pull the seat and check the torque on the upper mono bolt = these like to destroy the mount flanges when they come loose = very common.. A better practice yet is to grease all pivots associated with the mono system. Check motor mounts too..

Congrats Lewis - LOOKING AWESOME BUDDY!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip Puc, I will check those things out before I turn it over to him. This bike was used as a race bike for most of it life till the previous owner got too big for it. I was sure it would smoke a little when it ran, but not a trace. Its got a new carb., new brake pads, new front brake cable, new footpegs, new petcock, and a few other things. The one thing I didnt notice till I rode it was the back brake wasnt stopping it like it should, so I pulled the rear wheel off and found that the lining on the drum hub was really worn, the brakes hardly contact it when applied. But it will stop ok using both brakes at the same time, and wont be ridden very fast for a while till my grandson gets a little older. He is only 8 now, so he has a lot of time. Also while watching some vids on facebook today a video clip came up from the Terminator and it was the chase scene where young John Conner is being chased by the Terminator cop and the kid was riding an identical bike as this one. Was sad to see it get crushed under the tires of that wrecker. In a few weeks I will start tearing into the Maxim and see what awaits me. Luckily the bike was stored with a dry gas tank and carbs, the tank is spotless on the inside and no rust to be found anywhere on the bike. That little 100 has a lot of pep even with me on it.

WAYYYYYY COOL Fozzy!! :thumbsup:

Personally that lil XR100 is, bar non, my favorite "training bike" of all time!!! Some of the high end MX training schools agree with me too as they are still using those lil rippers to teach track skills to both amateur and A riders alike! Congrats brother on the GREAT find!!

Had you of posted this before you started getting er up and running I would have suggested that you pull the little 10mm bolt right above the spark plug on it BEFORE starting it and kicking it over until you get a good oil flow. Then kick 20x with the bolt in to get some oil in the top end (actually, preferable to remove the valve cover and squirt the cam down real good) to insure no cam journal damage but,, thats a mute subject now..

Only other thing I can think of that you might wanna check on the XR before turning out for rototilling the back yard would be to pull the seat and check the torque on the upper mono bolt = these like to destroy the mount flanges when they come loose = very common.. A better practice yet is to grease all pivots associated with the mono system. Check motor mounts too..

Congrats Lewis - LOOKING AWESOME BUDDY!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip Puc, I will check those things out before I turn it over to him. This bike was used as a race bike for most of it life till the previous owner got too big for it. I was sure it would smoke a little when it ran, but not a trace. Its got a new carb., new brake pads, new front brake cable, new footpegs, new petcock, and a few other things. The one thing I didnt notice till I rode it was the back brake wasnt stopping it like it should, so I pulled the rear wheel off and found that the lining on the drum hub was really worn, the brakes hardly contact it when applied. But it will stop ok using both brakes at the same time, and wont be ridden very fast for a while till my grandson gets a little older. He is only 8 now, so he has a lot of time. Also while watching some vids on facebook today a video clip came up from the Terminator and it was the chase scene where young John Conner is being chased by the Terminator cop and the kid was riding an identical bike as this one. Was sad to see it get crushed under the tires of that wrecker. In a few weeks I will start tearing into the Maxim and see what awaits me. Luckily the bike was stored with a dry gas tank and carbs, the tank is spotless on the inside and no rust to be found anywhere on the bike. That little 100 has a lot of pep even with me on it.

I am hearing you on the rear brake brother - I must have replaced a kazillion of the little things.. Not that bad of job as long as the axle comes out cleanly.. Fozzy,, if it were mine, I would just stick some new shoes in it BEFORE you give it him.. Lets see if I can explain this so it makes sense as to why I say that = perfect braking power has very little to do with it so try to follow this..

Those shoes operate off a "cam" on the end of the shaft that the rear brake arm is attached to. The pull rod that also attaches to the foot brake pedal attaches to that brake arm with a little barrel shaped connector - following me so far?

So what happens when the brake linings that are glued to the metal shoe get worn is not so much that they stop functioning in stopping the bike,, what happens is the "cam" tends to be able to over rotate and lock the rear brake up.. When this happens (and it WILL happen), the bike can become uncontrolable especially if the youngen is on a hill side or wet grass or wet ever...

Really brother,, I would fix em..

P.S. You are more than welcome on my tendency to just jump right in and spout out my thoughts Fozzy.. I guess you know that all my :Im not listening to comes from the heart!!

Da kid is gonna LOVE that scoot!!:thumbsup:

Puc

Opps, wait a second,, you said the hub itself was worn didnt cha,, my bad brother.. Lewis,, did you happen to notice if the new shoes on that rear brake had metal inserts built into them where they contact the cam on the brake arm? Some do, some dont.. If its the hub itself that is worn, possibly increasing the size of the contact area on the shoe by building up the cam face itself with quick pass of weld (and cleaning it up with a dremmel) to increase the spread on the shoes would do it? If its the arm that is worn and your already using new shoes,, replacing the arm cant be to expensive..

Just thinking outside the box beyond spoking up a new hub....

Shoes are new front and back, it is the hub lining. I totally disassembled both brakes and cleaned everything off with Emory cloth so every thing works smoothly and freely now. Appreciate all the feedback. Some things I do by nature others I need to be reminded. This is the smallest bike I have done and the easiest. All the others 20 or so were much worse off and took some time but I also paid a lot of attention to appearance as well as mechanics on those.

When I went down to NOLA a couple of months ago to deliver a bike, I also brought back a couple of bikes with me, One was a XJ650 that was garage kept for 14 years, all original and a Honda XR100 that was given to my son that had been sitting for about 2 years out in the open. He was trying to fix it up for my 8 yr old grandson, but just couldnt find the time to get to it, so I brought it back to Newnan to play around with it and hopefully get it back in running condition. Pretty rough to begin with missing a few parts which were easily sourced either through ebay or amazon. Finally got all the parts in and it started on the 3rd attempt. Didnt restore it to like new because being his first m/c that isnt electric it will go down a few times I am sure. But it turned out pretty good for a freebie. Have yet to start on the XJ650 yet, that will have to wait till Charlene is out of the hospital for foot surgery and she is able to be up. Next 2 months I will be her full time nurse, again.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111024http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111025http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111026http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111023

They sure are some perty bikes!! Can I rid the Yamaha lol!! good luck looks like fun.

Yes, it is a 4 cyl. the XS was the twin and the XJ's were all 4 cylinder. I had an 81 XJ550 when I first started restoring bikes when we moved here from La. They are great bikes, after I had the XJ550, I found an XJ750 and redid that one too, rode it for 2 years, it had a tour pack on it. Very nice bike and ran fantastic. Sold it to move up the the Venture's.

That's a 650 Lew?? I thought the 650s were all twin cylinder or am I too far back there. I played on those early 70s scoots for so long because I understood them and didn't want to shell out for a New one!!!

And that exhaust on you 750 was no worse than some Hardley's I have ridden next too........................and it wouldnt have been so loud if it didnt have those extra holes in the mufflers that you had to stop and fix.......:900[1]:.....LOL.

I think I did know that....once!! I was stuck on those twins they ran Great!! Still got the XJ 750.

Since that's not your first XJ you probably already know about xjbikes.com and xjforever for parts. If you don't, check it out. A member(forum owner?) there, chacal, has a the largest warehouse of new old stock xj parts that exists. His prices are reasonable and he has everything that is available, including coil mod instal kits and spin on oil filter adapters for all models. At least two of us here are or were members there, I still go there occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out those sites when I did the other XJ's, Forgot about them, I will use that as a resource and source for parts. Thanks

Since that's not your first XJ you probably already know about xjbikes.com and xjforever for parts. If you don't, check it out. A member(forum owner?) there, chacal, has a the largest warehouse of new old stock xj parts that exists. His prices are reasonable and he has everything that is available, including coil mod instal kits and spin on oil filter adapters for all models. At least two of us here are or were members there, I still go there occasionally.