IGNORED

Likely new owner

B.E. Coyote

If as described, I am picking up a 99 RSV tomorrow.

Some damage to the bodywork and 90,000 miles but the price is right and these bikes always caught my eye.

Coming from big dual sports and sport tourers, never owned a cruiser. The floor boards and heel toe shifter will be all new.

Plan would be to do some rehab over the winter. Flush all the fluids, valves, lubricate the suspension, flush the forks etc. Seems like a pretty easy bike to work on.

Any thoughts? Things to be cautious of?

Welcome. Hopefully it's the same RSV that's been taunting me on Craigslist. My wife will thank you. Great bikes super reliable. Not much experience with the 2nd gens myself but definitely check for rust in the tank if it's been sitting for awhile. Smell for fuel at idle possibly indicating a stuck float. Any hesitation on acceleration could be caused by gumming up and is relatively easy to clean the carbs. Any big issues with idle creeping and having issues controlling idle and choke could show some signs of diaphragms/coasting enricheners leaking/bad and would be worth some negotiating points as rubber parts can be a little pricey.

Good luck with the purchase.

Ya, I bet it is the same. I basically bought it, just need to pick it up. If it starts and runs I am bringing it home.

These bikes don't seem to have many issues. Like most other Yamahas. My fjrs and Tenere were near perfect. Had a love / hate relationship with my bmws.

Family medical bills are forcing me to liquidate the newer bikes , but by getting this and adding some sweat equity I can stay on two wheels and try something new.

Really hope it works out.

Yeah I have an idea how that can be. Sold off all my bikes and track bikes a few years ago to tackle medical bills and was bikeless for a couple years. If you need any help with the bike I've got a bunch of random spares. Some RSV parts horded for different projects etc.

If it has set for a while look under it for fluids on the floor before it is moved. Just at the kickstand and in front of the rear tire. The clutch slave and the shock will start to leak some fluids if they are going bad. Remember that Q-Bond is your friend for fixing broken plastic. You can get it at Autozone or Advanced auto.

Some damage to the bodywork and 90,000 miles but the price is right and these bikes always caught my eye.

Coming from big dual sports and sport tourers, never owned a cruiser. The floor boards and heel toe shifter will be all new.

Plan would be to do some rehab over the winter. Flush all the fluids, valves, lubricate the suspension, flush the forks etc. Seems like a pretty easy bike to work on.

You will need to sync the carbs if it runs. Sitting around messes with them.

:farmer:

• 2 weeks later...
Runs fine but the battery isn't charging.

Stator tests out good. Looks like it needs a rectifier.

Everything else on the bike looks fine. All the electronics work etc.

check the voltage at the battery with the bike running. May just be the batt not taking the charge, especially if its been sitting. Rectifier is more likely on a 1st gen bike but not unheard of on a 2nd gen.

Took me about 100 miles to get used to floor boards, Its really a toe shifter with a worthless piece on the back, a lot of us cut them off. Or get another and throw the original in the garage somewhere in case the next owner wants it, after I die.

A quick test is to start the bike and then disconnect the battery, the bike should keep running if the charging system is working properly. There have been, however, a few cases where the R/R works fine cold, but after a while, it craps out once it warms up. This is the exception rather than the rule, but keep in mind it has happened...

Thanks guys.

As an update, it is up and running. It was the rectifier. Not the first time either. Had a chinese one on it with the factory plug cut off.

Got the factory plug and a rectifier off a low mileage 09.

Rode for 30 minutes, hated it! Made leveling links and rode it more and it is growing on me.

Changed the oil, FD fluid, Flushed the rear brakes and they are good to go. Front brakes were just awful. Found a pair of Royal Star 4 piston brakes, lines and 14mm MC. Hoping that all swaps over easily. Going to flush the forks and change the brakes this weekend.

Also working for the first time with with abs and acetone to repair a hole in the trunk.

After all that, if I'm still digging the bike I will do a valve check, replace plugs and sunc the carbs. Bike is in pretty good mechanical shape for being nearly 20 years old.

Paint looks good too, just some pitting on decoritive pieces.

If you made leveling links, you might consider raising the front forks in the triple tree as well. About 1 inch makes a decent difference. It's easy, just time consuming. Good write-ups and pics in forum. This will lower the front end, changing the steering a bit...making it lighter and more responsive. Last, many of us have gone with a 130 front tire instead of the monster 150. Helps lighten the steering up a bit as well.

Take pics, search the older posts and joinup! Best 12 bux you will spend!

Good luck![/color]

If you made leveling links, you might consider raising the front forks in the triple tree as well. About 1 inch makes a decent difference. It's easy, just time consuming. Good write-ups and pics in forum. This will lower the front end, changing the steering a bit...making it lighter and more responsive. Last, many of us have gone with a 130 front tire instead of the monster 150. Helps lighten the steering up a bit as well.

Before you go tearing into a tall project like that take a look at the tires... The stock Bridgestones are probably old & hard by now and they weren't that good of a tire to begin with.

Thanks guys.

Also working for the first time with with abs and acetone to repair a hole in the trunk.

before you get to crazy with the goo and the glue.... i can tell you how to get a "free"trunk base.

it wont be the correct color because they have discontinued the early colors...... however if you go to your yamaha dealer and ask them to look up a tsb/ technical service bulletin # M 2000-008

there is no time or miles expiration on this tsb and if you let them know that your happy with a black trunk base it will come from japan much quicker. It's NOT a recall !

i just got one a couple months ago and have another on order now, along with a couple other vro members that i have told.

and on another note, is it the silver and magenta or the two tone silver model? i have a ton of parts and accessories .

ride safe, ride often.. Mike

A word on forks and fork oil. If your going into the forks it would be prudent to replace fork seals and maybe instead of lowering the front forks you can possibly find Progressive lowering springs. Either approach works but if you still have the stock springs the Progressives definitely improve ride and handling. Since your already a bike guy I'm sure you know to stay away from the Chinese aftermarket (yup, this again) and use only OEM Yamaha seals. I'm not sure off the top of my head of the gen2 has bushing forks but I'm pretty sure it does. With the amount of mileage on the bike it might be a good move to go ahead and replace those too.

You will need to sync the carbs if it runs. Sitting around messes with them.

:farmer:

I have two V4s and carb synch is a part of normal maintenance, I do it a couple times a year minimum and when it's done I can always feel that sharp crisp responsiveness return. I like the reasonably priced Morgan Carbtune and it seems to be a popular choice.