IGNORED

1st Gen Audio Wiring

Anyone know where I can get a look at a wiring diagram for 1st Gen audio system?

My cassette deck has gone AWOL and would like to remove it and wire in a stereo connection to plug in my IPOD, but the wiring diagrams in the manual seems to have identified every wire except those from the deck to the amplifier.

Appreciate your help.

They're in there, but in a different place. In the manual on this website, look on the very last page.

I've done just what you are describing, and I was not the first. I got helpful schematics from several here, and one guy wrote a fantastic article on how he installed his GPS and tied it into the audio. Naturally, now I can't find those posts. You guys who graciously supplied schematics, would you do so again?

I did find the GPS article on another site:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=001003&id=365&highlight=gps

Jeremy

Michael,

The amp is looking for a SHORT between pin 1 and 7 on the cassette to amp cable to tell the amp to USE the radio... when this opens, the amp switches to the cassette audio... So we are ONLY dealing with the cable from the cassette to the amp.

So here's what I think you want... Other guys have said you REALLY should ground the audio input to the outer ring (shield) on the amp cable that "used" to go to the cassette.

http://bergall.org/temp/venture/audio-mpg.jpg

Here's the original I drew up to ALSO use the cassette and ADD an MP3 or...

(in this case, when the switch is off... the cassette/radio is in the normal

funtion mode. When the swutch is thrown, the amp switches to the external input.

http://bergall.org/temp/venture/audio.jpg

My cassette deck has gone AWOL and would like to remove it and wire in a stereo connection to plug in my IPOD, but the wiring diagrams in the manual seems to have identified every wire except those from the deck to the amplifier.

Mother up by toronto made me a cable for mine that plugs right onto the cable that came off of the cassette player, has a switch to go back and forth between the radio and the MP3 player I have. It has a connector to plug right into the MP3 player. Very simple. If you PM him he could probably tell you the part number for the plug.

My '84 did not have the stock radio. When I bought the bike, there was an old Kenwood cassette deck mounted vertically. It was exposed to rain and the finish was not nice. I removed the Kenwood and put in a new CD player I got on sale at Canadian Tire (Regular $149.99 for $59.99). I installed a marine splash guard with a cover that slides down into the fairing when it is open. The stereo is now protected. The best part is that the new CD player has a USB port and an SD card slot. I loaded up my tunes on 2 2GB cards and now have hours of play time available at my fingertips. Just another thought/option.

I have a little input and a question. First the question: can the 12V on pin 7 be used to trigger a mini relay in parallel with switching the radio on?

"Other guys have said you REALLY should ground the audio input to the outer ring (shield) on the amp cable that "used" to go to the cassette."

I grounded mine to the shield and it works. Actually, I soldered the ground wire to the point where the other end of the shield terminates.

There is a difference between Mbrood's schematic and the one on the website I sent. Mbrood swiched all the audio connections - L, R and common. John on the other site didn't switch any of them, leaving them connected whether using the radio or the MP3 (GPS), but he did run the audio thru an isolation transformer, and frankly I don't really know what that is. I tried to connect it direct, with no switching there (only switched the pin-1-to-7 connection) and no transformer. It didn't work right. The MP3 interferred with the radio sound when connected but turned off. I don't really understand why or even remember exactly what it did, but it made the radio quiet or something unless I unplugged the MP3. So I tried the easy way out and just switched the common, leaving the L and R connected all the time. I used it that way for a year, as it seemed to fix the problem, but it always seemed like the radio didn't sound nearly as lively as the MP3. I chalked it up to the digital sound being better.

One day recently I fired up the radio with the MP3 unplugged for some reason, and the sound was much livelier. What happens is that when the MP3 is connected, even though the common is switched off, the L and R connections still interfere with the radio sound. It seems to remove the stereo effect, making it sound mono. I can plug and unplug the MP3 and hear the radio change, and it's much better unplugged. So, I bought a mini relay and need to change that wiring.

Maybe simply plugging in that isolation transformer would solve this problem without all the switching. I dunno. Does anybody out there know?

Jeremy

I'd been thinking about adding a jack to the bike for the IPOD because the cassette player wasn't working and wasn't usefull if it did.

The wiring diagrahm was the piece I still needed but didn't know.

I had planned to go on a ride today but my son's car needed new rotors so... I decided to put in the MP3 jack and remove the cassette player.

I used the plastic from a battery box for a trailer and cut a piece to fit in the dash area. A local electronics store had the parts I needed. I bought a switch to control the input mode, an 8 pin DIN plug (female) and a 3.5mm female stereo jack.

I soldered the switch and stereo jack according to the diagram and installed them in the plastic piece.

I used Velcro the plastic into the dash are and reinstalled the cassette cover for weather protection.

I did notice some degredation in the speakers when I first connected the IPOD but hadn't switched the radio off but now I know and will make the switch first. Other than that, it worked great while in the garage. I still need to road test it - that's tomorrow!!

Question for you, Utah:

Connect your IPOD but leave it off. Now listen to the radio on a good FM station. Plug and unplug the IPOD cable and see if you hear a difference in the sound when you do.

Congrats on your mod.

Jeremy

• 2 years later...

I used all the info from this string to do my mod.I took my deck apart and mounted everything inside.I even lit my old cassette lights. The jacks and switch are protected under the old cassette lid.I installed a light in the cover for night time driving,It works well.Paysaw:Cool_cool36:

• 5 years later...

This was exactly what I was looking for. My cassette deck is no longer of use to me since I have no cassettes anymore and one of the tracks does not play. Using it as an input for either my sat radio or smart phone would be great. I now have the detailed info to add the input plug. I guess I should have realized it would be this simple. That plug on the bottom of the deck is not hard to get to. I would not have know to put in the on off switch.

I would not have know to put in the on off switch.

The amp does something interesting on my 89: If there is an audio signal on the cassette input it will switch to that even with the radio enabled.

When I used an MP3 player if I forgot to throw the switch it would play the radio between songs. I switched this year to a Garmin Navigation system with built in MP3, even when it's quiet it puts a bit of hiss on the input and so the switch is unnecessary.