IGNORED

What to do next?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha!

Damn what I've gotten my self into

Thank you Mr Puc but I dowloaded a drawing I wonder if i can go back to the stock filter

You have a spin-on filter adapter that I have never seen before. The spin-on filters are way more convenient to change the oil than the OEM one in your pic. The OEM ones are much messier and it is easy to not get the o-ring properly seated.

A shorter length filter would be less bad. I agree with the others that with it hanging down like that you are asking for a punctured filter and a very slippery back tire and the engine oil pressure dropping to zero.

I also have never seen a setup like that on a Venture of any vintage.

As to weather you can go back to stock, it is hard to tell from the pics. it comes down to if someone drilled any holes in the engine or made any other modifications to mount this "thing".

I assume that part where the plug bolt is is where the original filter was attached https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170922/abe2b2dcb80256b3e2100e0a473aec9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

That plastic plug with the writing on it is actually suppose to be there.. It is part of the coolant system = I know this sounds crazy probably but it appears to be in the correct position for normal operation.. With the writing facing upright like one would think would be normal - it is in a bypass position.. I know, never made sense to me neither but thats the wall all 6 of my 1st Gens have been..

The original oil filter canister sets below that puppy on a machined surface of about 6 inches in diameter - this surface if machined flat and is sealed with an oring on the outer edge/bottom of the canister.. Good grief,,,,, I cant even understand myself - how you ever gonna follow that flabbaughtery... Hold on,, think I can get out of this chair and make ya a movie showing both of us what I am trying to say.. May take a sec,, be right back..

Edited by cowpuc

Mr Puc thank you very much for you nice video the video I've been reading a lot and now I understand

I will try and see if i can change the position and also the angle of the filter

About the adaptor sold in ebay is it smaller than mine?

Do anybody know? Also is the part number of the filter in the filter itself?

I'm also adding a picture of a kawasaki vulcan oil filter location which is in the same location as mine but jus in a 90 degree position would it be better to try and achieve that position?

I kind dig this filter I wonder if there is a filter same diameter with a shorter length.[emoji16]

I'm not a fan of the spin on filters for these bikes. Being in the front like that is a recipe for disaster. One wayward stone kicked up from the front tire and there goes all of your oil. The stock ones aren't the easiest to deal with but better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no oil.

Before going to sleep I want to post thr update on the "no gas" "bad fuel pump""no current" problem that I was having but first I want to thank each one of you for been such nice people in this forum thank you guys and here it is .https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170919/5ce51ba6212e4847bc5f8e6d9c4dd683.jpg

I appreciate your willingness to share about the fuel switch being off! My 83 is waiting on a new TCI unit that will be put on a slow boat from Norway tomorrow. I'm always finding things that these wonderful people on this site are very patient to help me in my idiocy. I might not have admitted that I didn't have the fuel switch turned on but you won't be ridiculed here. In fact, I don't understand why there's no reserve tank on these bikes.

Last time I rode her I was going to get on here and asked how come I get a whine at highway speeds out of the engine, then somebody mentioned in the post in here about how the gears are square cut and so that's normal! Saved me from another embarrassing question. I love all these guys!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hahaha!

Damn what I've gotten my self into

Thank you Mr Puc but I dowloaded a drawing I wonder if i can go back to the stock filterhttp://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110479

"Damn what I've gotten my self into"

--Poncho26

I paid considerably more for mine than you did because 2nd gear had been fixed, forks rebuilt and close to 4 grand in repairs completed by the P.O.. (I didn't pay anything close to what he put into her...)Sat for two years because when he rebuilt the forks the bike sat 4 inches taller and he couldn't reach the ground anymore. Sucker must have laid that thing over four times or more. Supposedly it was a matter of dropping in a battery and bleed the clutch and hit the road. 8 months later and I've put maybe 400 miles on it this summer finding more things to fix each time I got out. I'd be thrilled if mine was as pretty as yours. I may get a couple more months with a few nice days to ride but now I'm going to get her all fixed up and be waiting till spring really. She's still wearing most of her " barn find" dirt and having repaired a bunch of plastic already I'm going to have to find some more body parts over the winter. Once she's roadworthy I have to decide whether to paint her or go rat bike. I'm thinking of leaving her alone and calling her farm truck like that sleeper truck out of the 405.

Back to your quote, if I had a nickel...

Edited by s.tyler58

"Damn what I've gotten my self into"

--Poncho26

I paid considerably more for mine than you did because 2nd gear had been fixed, forks rebuilt and close to 4 grand in repairs completed by the P.O.. (I didn't pay anything close to what he put into her...)Sat for two years because when he rebuilt the forks the bike sat 4 inches taller and he couldn't reach the ground anymore. Sucker must have laid that thing over four times or more. Supposedly it was a matter of dropping in a battery and bleed the clutch and hit the road. 8 months later and I've put maybe 400 miles on it this summer finding more things to fix each time I got out. I'd be thrilled if mine was as pretty as yours. I may get a couple more months with a few nice days to ride but now I'm going to get her all fixed up and be waiting till spring really. She's still wearing most of her " barn find" dirt and having repaired a bunch of plastic already I'm going to have to find some more body parts over the winter. Once she's roadworthy I have to decide whether to paint her or go rat bike. I'm thinking of leaving her alone and calling her farm truck like that sleeper truck out of the 405.

Back to your quote, if I had a nickel...

2 yrs later and I'm trying to find clear coat that won't hurt my decals... I have taken a liking to her patina I ordered a tank cover and got it sitting in the rafters of my garage. Just too perty for tinker.[emoji4]

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

2 yrs later and I'm trying to find clear coat that won't hurt my decals... I have taken a liking to her patina I ordered a tank cover and got it sitting in the rafters of my garage. Just too perty for tinker.[emoji4]

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I found some purplish/mauvish duct tape that I've got decorating mine right now.

I did notice that Poncho has broken top corners on his fairing like mine. That's probably true on any that have been dropped? I also notice that Puc has different crash bars than mine...

You mean this Tyler?050f4430213401db4ea34e48be145d7c.jpg

You mean this Tyler ?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/d97dba1cf668e094304f73820b18095c.jpg

Yup! My right side is worse. I did find a large piece in the trunk to put back on. Both of my side panels are zip stripped at the bottom. I'd show photos except that, as I may have mentioned 1K times, I haven't seen or touched her in five weeks! Hahaha!

Lol! I have 2 pieces of chromed trim that stick to those corners with double sided tape.

I work like 14 hours a day 7 days a week that's what keeps me from finishing it up

I did change the clutch slave cylinder and unfortunately I striped one of the screws in the master cylinder aaaarg!

I also took the fuel pump out because I couldn't hear the clicks

On the pump to my surprise the points look very good to me almost new no wearing at all I took as reference the points from a messed up pump in a youtube video that is why I was able to compare.

I cleaned the points on mine with a Scotch Brite and it worked sounded really nice but the next morning went back to the way it was.