IGNORED

Key won't turn in ignition !

KeithR

I'm having trouble turning my key (2006 M/V) I can get it to work if I move it around and sometimes it will turn. I have lubed it and hasn't made a difference. Has anyone ever had an ignition rekeyed by a locksmith ? Its another one of those not so cheap items. I'm not interested in going the used route...pretty expensive on Ebay. New here $308 cdn.

Any suggestions.

Thank You

Keith

Have a similar issue with my '99 but not as severe.

1. Mine works with a little in and out motion while applying pressure in the turn direction. I don't even notice it anymore.

2. Use a electrical spray cleaner/lube in the ignition not WD-40. It will both clean, lubricate and then the excess will evaporate.

3. Yamaha put to much through the ignition switch, which can cause it to fail and leave you stranded. If you don't already have the one, there are two bypasses available from DJH3 in Florida (member). One will reroute the excessive electrical load, bypassing the switch but leaving key necessary to start the bike. The other will completely bypass the switch (this option would solve your issue but may leave the bike less secure)

Best of luck!!

Dave

Is the key worn? I've seen a worn out key not work well. A good locksmith can make a new key to fit if that's the case.

I was hoping that was the problem I had a new unused key and its the same unfortunately.

I was hoping that was the problem I had a new unused key and its the same unfortunately.

Just recently the same issue started on my 2000 model Red Baron. I lubed the ignition and it made no difference. Used a new key and still no difference. Then I started playing around a little with the key in the ignition. Found out that it turned effortlessly if I just pushed it lightly forward while attempting to turn it. Works every time. The reason for this in my case is most likely that the slots for the key in the ignition are getting worn out. I am not gonna take any chances of being stranded so I am ordering a new ignition for it.

Just recently the same issue started on my 2000 model Red Baron. I lubed the ignition and it made no difference. Used a new key and still no difference. Then I started playing around a little with the key in the ignition. Found out that it turned effortlessly if I just pushed it lightly forward while attempting to turn it. Works every time. The reason for this in my case is most likely that the slots for the key in the ignition are getting worn out. I am not gonna take any chances of being stranded so I am ordering a new ignition for it.

Ya I hear ya....Not worth getting stranded somewhere.I was told the ignitions are on back order out of Japan - not so sure about that. I'm finished riding for this year so I guess I can wait. I had a stranded situation a couple of weeks ago when my regulator/rectifier crapped out....wasn't fun.

Edited by KeithR

When I bought my 89 after trailering it home, the ignition switch wouldn't turn. I sprayed WD40 into the keyhole and it worked fine since then. WD40 displaces water but some don't like it because they say it builds up a gummy deposit.

I guess the next question is - whats involved in removing the ignition. I assume drill out the what looks like the head of a bolt on either side ? I have until next spring to do this so I can take it to a locksmith and check.

Thanks for the help !

Keith

Yup, that's pretty much it! What they are in reality is the same bolts that hold your rotor onto the front hub, Allen head bolts that have their heads filled with metal. Unfortunately, they also Loctite the bolts in with blue Loctite, so forget about cutting a slot into the heads and using a screwdriver and vice grips, it ain't gonna work! I broke the tips off of 3 screwdrivers trying that! Luckily they were Craftsman tools so they got replaced no questions asked.

I went through 3 Dremel grinding stones before I was able to liberate my switch. I was able to remove the studs with vice grips...

Yup, that's pretty much it! What they are in reality is the same bolts that hold your rotor onto the front hub, Allen head bolts that have their heads filled with metal. Unfortunately, they also Loctite the bolts in with blue Loctite, so forget about cutting a slot into the heads and using a screwdriver and vice grips, it ain't gonna work! I broke the tips off of 3 screwdrivers trying that! Luckily they were Craftsman tools so they got replaced no questions asked.

I went through 3 Dremel grinding stones before I was able to liberate my switch. I was able to remove the studs with vice grips...

So I am seeing the head of the bolt that I need to get rid of then lift the switch off the studs - then remove the studs that are left with vise grips. Am I on the right track? How so you install new bolts?

Tks