IGNORED

Yamaha at Sturgis

jakester

I don't know how accurate this is , however the only metric bike that was represented at Sturgis was Yamaha. Not only this year, for the last three or four years that I have been there Yamaha has always had a tent with new models being shown. I do seem to remember CanAm had their trike models there a few years ago. If you know better, chime in and let me know. I just did not see any other metric bike brands around.

This year Yamaha had a huge set up and the venture was being put in the spot light. Very nice setup.

Bill

I suppose sturgis is where they got all their advice on what to offer with a new "Venture".

Actually,, I got to meet the group of "Star Riders" who were the actual advisors on the new one during the unveiling out at Americade in June. They were all 2nd Gen Star Venture riders (still watercooled, shaft drive V-4's back then though) and,, I am still unclear of why on this one,, those folks clearly wanted air cooled over water and belt drive over shaft.. They stood on the stage at Americade and made this perfectly clear..

I am sure that some of the decision to go air cooled push rod motors came from monitoring Rally's like Sturgis (where the whole "touring" idea has long since gone by the way side - dont believe me? Next years rally, go set on the side of the Interstate and count the number of scoots being trailered in compared to those being ridden in from any distance) but quite frankly,,, it is my understanding from following the whole process in person that, indeed,, it was the group of Venture riding "Star Riders" who Star/Mom Yam listened to very closely on the design and engine direction change on this one...

Actually,, I got to meet the group of "Star Riders" who were the actual advisors on the new one during the unveiling out at Americade in June. They were all 2nd Gen Star Venture riders (still watercooled, shaft drive V-4's back then though) and,, I am still unclear of why on this one,, those folks clearly wanted air cooled over water and belt drive over shaft.. They stood on the stage at Americade and made this perfectly clear..

I am sure that some of the decision to go air cooled push rod motors came from monitoring Rally's like Sturgis (where the whole "touring" idea has long since gone by the way side - dont believe me? Next years rally, go set on the side of the Interstate and count the number of scoots being trailered in compared to those being ridden in from any distance) but quite frankly,,, it is my understanding from following the whole process in person that, indeed,, it was the group of Venture riding "Star Riders" who Star/Mom Yam listened to very closely on the design and engine direction change on this one...

From watching the promotional films, I got the impression that they rode air cooled Vtwin Yamahas, Road Stars or something like that. That is what the films showed anyway.

I'm glad to hear Yamaha is represented at Sturgis. It doesn't surprise me, The Yamacruisers are by far the best metric cruiser out there. I am surprised to hear that they are the only metric company represented there. I thought Kawasaki and Honda had a loyal following with their Vulcan, Shadow and VTX bikes.

I stopped going to Sturgis 27 years ago. My last trip up from Texas in 1990 was a fantastic ride but after seeing more trailers than riders and the fact that the whole rally had turned into an expensive R.U.B. tourist event soured it for me. The local club events are more fun though Sturgis and Daytona do draw bigger names in music.

Back then I was a die hard Harley man and would have scoffed at riding a Yamaha to Sturgis. My Gen 1 Venture is 10 times the bike that my 84 FXST was. The FX was reliable but even stroked and treated to the best after market performance tricks it couldn't hold a candle to the Venture. Not to mention comfort.

I am truly saddened that the new "Venture" is not and updated liquid cooled V4.

I'm glad to hear Yamaha is represented at Sturgis. It doesn't surprise me, The Yamacruisers are by far the best metric cruiser out there. I am surprised to hear that they are the only metric company represented there. I thought Kawasaki and Honda had a loyal following with their Vulcan, Shadow and VTX bikes.

I stopped going to Sturgis 27 years ago. My last trip up from Texas in 1990 was a fantastic ride but after seeing more trailers than riders and the fact that the whole rally had turned into an expensive R.U.B. tourist event soured it for me. The local club events are more fun though Sturgis and Daytona do draw bigger names in music.

Back then I was a die hard Harley man and would have scoffed at riding a Yamaha to Sturgis. My Gen 1 Venture is 10 times the bike that my 84 FXST was. The FX was reliable but even stroked and treated to the best after market performance tricks it couldn't hold a candle to the Venture. Not to mention comfort.

I am truly saddened that the new "Venture" is not and updated liquid cooled V4.

We agree on many points, I grew up a few minutes from Sturgis and loved to go all through the 80s and a few times until the 90s when it got overcrowded with lots of trlr queens and rubs, it really lost its spirit and charactor, by 90 all my friends that were coming stopped for the same reason and started coming here spring or fall to avoid the "rubfest". I live here again and I put the bikes away (or take road a road trip) during rally week and a large portion of tourist season. I abandoned HD in about 95 for Triumph and a handful of jap bikes, when I looked back HD was still doing the same ol thing while other mfrs were making grea strides and churning out some excellent machines for a decimal point of HD prices.

I watched the whole HD subculture turn into a mainstream joke about the same time all the televized bike build off shows gained steam. Times change, denial or adaptation, I went with the later. Loosing HD was tough, the last few rallys I attended I rode my Triumph from Seattle and had a great time until I actually got to Sturgis. The to and from is amazing and I cant wrap my brain around why so many ppl trlr and RV now. You loose the most pivital part of the " Sturgis experience " by using a trlr or RV. It is supposed to be adverse weather and accommodation on the fly, often tents and coffee made on a Triage stove. What can we do but Ride Yamahas and enjoy our friends. Im good with that. I have not been since Im done with HD but I hear tell of some old schoolers doing it in WY by the old way. I respect the hell out of that. They dont make bikers the way they used to, but they make Harleys almost exactly the same way. I share your disappointment over the new Venture but I hope its a hit with twin buyers. If you get to the Black Hills off season hmu, that goes for anyone reading this regardless of your chosen steed, even if its a new Venture. :duck:

Edited by CaseyJ955

Not me baby,, I LOVE the Rally,, I LOVE riding to and from,, I LOVE the spirit of the motorcycle,, I LOVE sharing the trails with the few other left over screw balls who REFUSE to trailer those gorgeous machines out n back.. My mind is still filled with days of yesteryear when Flatheads, Knuckleheads, Pans and PanShovels were plentiful out there and that rowdy bunch would stand and talk about my AMF Lowrider like it was a metric,, good grief I miss that era.. There are still parts n pieces of it out that time out there,, ya just gotta sort thru modern day times to get find it.. Personally,, I have found that the best time to find it is to attempt it in the evenings when the shows are happening - that sorts out alot of non-bikers.. Then hit main street, look for a small group of guys standing around a beat up old Knucklehead or,, even a VERY well built custom,, and stand back and listen,,, take some time to get drawn into the real gear headed discussion about bike stuff - it's still there - just gotta know where to look - IMHO..