IGNORED

This is what happens when you air up your tires

stanG

So I checked the air in my tires last night for a benefit ride today and found a big honkin screw right smack in the middle of rear tire. Needed a front tire soon so I ordered a pair. So it looks like @cowpuc is not the only one spooning tires around here. Unless of course I can get him to ride over here and spoon 'em for me. LOL.39733af1e2c62da940ca7eda3337a815.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I checked the air in my tires last night for a benefit ride today and found a big honkin screw right smack in the middle of rear tire. Needed a front tire soon so I ordered a pair. So it looks like cowpuc is not the only one spooning tires around here. Unless of course I can get him to ride over here and spoon 'em for me. LOL.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170812/39733af1e2c62da940ca7eda3337a815.jpg

Its looking more and more like this one. Just put the jet in it.JetV_zpsbz0dxfuf.jpg

Love the way it just seems to be hovering there. Would be nice if they did do that! Make servicing a lot simpler! I have to do an oil change soon but grovelling around on the garage floor does me no good at all. If I could just get the bike to hover 2ft off the deck....

So I checked the air in my tires last night for a benefit ride today and found a big honkin screw right smack in the middle of rear tire. Needed a front tire soon so I ordered a pair. So it looks like cowpuc is not the only one spooning tires around here. Unless of course I can get him to ride over here and spoon 'em for me. LOL.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170812/39733af1e2c62da940ca7eda3337a815.jpg

Heyyyyy,,, look what dah 1st Gen dragged in Tip,,, it's Stang!!! Wassup brother!!

Glad you caught the screw in the tire before it caught you my man,, dont need no more pics of scraped up arms from examining the crete from my good buddy over on the east side thats for sure!!! Wish we were closer,, we could have an all out tire spoonin race cause I gotta do my 5th swap this year REAL soon (as in, before I go ANYWHERE on the old girl cause I dont like examining crete either!!!)

What did ya order up? I been torturing Shinko's lately.. Friendly little tire with a really good attitude for operating in the rain, hail, cold, high temps and really decent on the twisties.. Fair price - last three were 76 bucks shipped from Chapparal off ebay - lighting fast shipping too!! They, Chapparral, are in Cali - less than 24 hour ship when I did the one at my daughters in Sacramento in July - the other 2 shipped here to Michigan in 2 days!!

Something else to think about it,,,,, hooked up with jakester out at Sturgis - he is riding a purdy 1800 Wing.. Bill, Jakester, is Darksiding it and, come to find out - his Wing has a 16 inch rear wheel!! I have looked and looked for a Car tire for our 1st Gens and never was successful in finding a viable tire - did a vid that I am loading up on u tube as I type where I am checking out the rear tire on his scoot - all the info is there - keep an eye on the Water Hole - will post it up as soon as its done cookin.. Jakester is at,, get this,, 20,000 miles on his rear tire - x4 of what I average - can you imagine the work and hassle that would save if it works? Got a couple things I gotta check before I scoot to Discount tire and have one mounted.. Something I forgot to check was wheel width and tire width.. I am sure the car tire he is running will require a certain width on the rim to squat proper (ewie,,, that dont sound PC correct) and to wide at the tread wont work but hey,, worth checkin..

Hey,, good to hear from ya ya lop eared radio yakkin varmint!! Got that purdy Blonde lookin right fine!! GOOD ON YA!! All the best in flippin on the new rubber = clean the rims well, check the rubber on the air valve inside the rim for ANY form of cracking, get em hot first and those new ones will flop right on!!!

I went with the Shinko 777's. Based on your recent posts I thought I would give em a try. Hope to get at least 10k out of em. That will put me at just over 100k on the odo. I had a Michelin Commander II on the back that picked up the screw. It had 15k on it with about 5k left I guess. Great tire but twice the cost. Of course I don't have the hardware plus the kitchen sink hangin off the back of mine so they probably last a little longer.

Save your breath Puc, CTs don't fit the first gen, not enough room to clear.

Thanks Carl,, probably just order up another Shink... Gonna wait till tomorrow though cause our local tire dealer may very well have a bunch of stuff on his end of season rack.. Couple weeks and it'll be September here and touring season will come to an end... WOW did that go by fast!

Heyyyyy,,, look what dah 1st Gen dragged in Tip,,, it's Stang!!! Wassup brother!!

Glad you caught the screw in the tire before it caught you my man,, dont need no more pics of scraped up arms from examining the crete from my good buddy over on the east side thats for sure!!! Wish we were closer,, we could have an all out tire spoonin race cause I gotta do my 5th swap this year REAL soon (as in, before I go ANYWHERE on the old girl cause I dont like examining crete either!!!)

What did ya order up? I been torturing Shinko's lately.. Friendly little tire with a really good attitude for operating in the rain, hail, cold, high temps and really decent on the twisties.. Fair price - last three were 76 bucks shipped from Chapparal off ebay - lighting fast shipping too!! They, Chapparral, are in Cali - less than 24 hour ship when I did the one at my daughters in Sacramento in July - the other 2 shipped here to Michigan in 2 days!!

Something else to think about it,,,,, hooked up with jakester out at Sturgis - he is riding a purdy 1800 Wing.. Bill, Jakester, is Darksiding it and, come to find out - his Wing has a 16 inch rear wheel!! I have looked and looked for a Car tire for our 1st Gens and never was successful in finding a viable tire - did a vid that I am loading up on u tube as I type where I am checking out the rear tire on his scoot - all the info is there - keep an eye on the Water Hole - will post it up as soon as its done cookin.. Jakester is at,, get this,, 20,000 miles on his rear tire - x4 of what I average - can you imagine the work and hassle that would save if it works? Got a couple things I gotta check before I scoot to Discount tire and have one mounted.. Something I forgot to check was wheel width and tire width.. I am sure the car tire he is running will require a certain width on the rim to squat proper (ewie,,, that dont sound PC correct) and to wide at the tread wont work but hey,, worth checkin..

Hey,, good to hear from ya ya lop eared radio yakkin varmint!! Got that purdy Blonde lookin right fine!! GOOD ON YA!! All the best in flippin on the new rubber = clean the rims well, check the rubber on the air valve inside the rim for ANY form of cracking, get em hot first and those new ones will flop right on!!!

Okay Puc,

I've been biting my tongue trying to keep my opinion to myself but, based on your tire life history this summer I just can't be quiet any longer. Please forgive me if I open old arguments and hurt your feelings a little. But, like my mommy used to say "This is for your own good".

So here it goes. 5 rear tires in one riding season, WTH.

Short of spinning them off doing BURN OUTS or something, IMHO I gotta think there is some other factor at play here.

I get it that you do more miles than most folks. I also get it that your out west on less than asphalt smooth roads and it's hot out there in the desert. But in 08 I had a similar experience in Tucumcari, NM where under all exhausted options I was forced to mount a used HD Dunlap on the rear tire to get home. I got 20 k plus on that used tire. I wrote a good story about that adventure on here back in 2008 called " 100 miles to Tucumcari on a May pop Metzler".' Look it up that was a good read.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Either your not running the right air pressure, buying too cheap of tires or the way you pile everything on the back of your bike when traveling has got to shorten your rear tire tread life.

I know we have covered this ground before. And I know that your not in favor of what I'm about to reiterate here. And I'm really not trying to open old wounds here. But, because I luv ya man, and this is for your own good. I'm just gonna say it.

Get a trailer!!!!!!!!! I just believe that distributing the weight across the trailer tires instead of all of it piled on the rear of the bike has got to improve your tire life. Plus you'll end up much more comfortable toting your gear cross country. Just my opinion.

There, I've said it. I hope I didn't hurt you feelings. Just want what's best for you Dude.

Edited by Dragonslayer

Okay Puc,

I've been biting my tongue trying to keep my opinion to myself but, based on your tire life history this summer I just can't be quiet any longer. Please forgive me if I open old arguments and hurt your feelings a little. But, like my mommy used to say "This is for your own good".

So here it goes. 5 rear tires in one riding season, WTH.

Short of spinning them off doing BURN OUTS or something, IMHO I gotta think there is some other factor at play here.

I get it that you do more miles than most folks. I also get it that your out west on less than asphalt smooth roads and it's hot out there in the desert. But in 08 I had a similar experience in Tucumcari, NM where under all exhausted options I was forced to mount a used HD Dunlap on the rear tire to get home. I got 20 k plus on that used tire. I wrote a good story about that adventure on here back in 2008 called " 100 miles to Tucumcari on a May pop Metzler".' Look it up that was a good read.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Either your not running the right air pressure, buying too cheap of tires or the way you pile everything on the back of your bike when traveling has got to shorten your rear tire tread life.

I know we have covered this ground before. And I know that your not in favor of what I'm about to reiterate here. And I'm really not trying to open old wounds here. But, because I luv ya man, and this is for your own good. I'm just gonna say it.

Get a trailer!!!!!!!!! I just believe that distributing the weight across the trailer tires instead of all of it piled on the rear of the bike has got to improve your tire life. Plus you'll end up much more comfortable toting your gear cross country. Just my opinion.

There, I've said it. I hope I didn't hurt you feelings. Just want what's best for you Dude.

Awe,, THANK YOU for the continued concern brother - I KNOW it all comes from a pure heart of just being worried about your buddy and his wife - THANK YOU!!

I assure you, NO ONE monitors tire air pressures as I do - I run em to spec as stamped on the tires - and always at PSI for max load. I have been touring for many years now going all the way back into the 70's and have experienced several flat tires on loaded touring scoots due to puncture from road debris (both front and rear) - including a few on my 1st Gens and can attest - NO ONE also wants to experience those any less than I do cause riding them to a stop is a exciting BUT not fun = I hear you my friend..

First let me follow the "you need a trailer" thought:

1. We do a LOT of off road stuff where a trailer simply would not work.

2. Years ago I had a buddy who got into a situation on a corner at speed where he had to brake hard and he had a small 300 pound trailer behind him. The trailer forced him into a freakish slide that he explained as "it took control of the rear of my bike". One of the things I learned early on (another flaw in my character) was to examine closely the results of people I trust when they experience stuff like that and try not to emulate = no sense in rediscovering the wheel. Another example of this is why I ALWAYS carry a styrofoam cup in my cup holder - lost a friend many years ago when the sealed water bottle he was carrying in his cup holder jumped out when he hit a bump - they found the water bottle lodged between the triple tree and the frame = locked up his steering = ol Puc NEVER carries anything but Styro Foam since that time.

3. To me, having a trailer would mean ending up carrying more junk - dont need more junk and certainly dont need to encourage who ever is in the rear seat to do more souvenier shopping either LOL..

About wearing out tires:

Years ago while crossing the country in the desert on my 350 Honda, Chopped Yamaha 650, Honda 750's, 78 Lowrider = all none touring bikes and all being ridden 1 up - it was a tire out to the coast and a tire back, about 5k per rear tire even back then in my case and NO burn outs (not that I dont LOVE pulling hole shots, just never liked watching all my cash go up in smoke) = life taught me the hard way that that hot tarmac that melts your shoes when you try to stand on it does the same with scoot tires.. For me and my style of riding (I do a LOT of close to/or triple digit cruising and a fair amount of aggressive canyon carving even with a rider onboard (Tip has me rev limited at 100) - I have NO doubt this plays part in tire wear..

Concerning the load I carry - Ya gotta remember that the bedroll that you have always seen on the back of my bike is simply a couple sleeping bags, a piece of egg foam Hospital bed covering to take the bite out of rocks and branches that may find themselves between us and the ground while camping on places like the rim of the Grand Canyon, and a Tent = weight is NOT an issue back there AND - you would be shocked at how little the bike is pushed in heavy cross winds with it!

In the end brother,, after over 1,000,000 miles of torturing these 1st Gens out in the lands where tires disappear like the sweat from a naked chest (yes,, I also ride A LOT with no shirt on out there in the deserts I love) I will probably never own/tow/drag or utilize a trailer in my biking needs (notice I said "probably" - gotta leave a little room there cause one never really knows what tomorrow brings). Long before you will see that, you will probably see Tip and I with a small 4x4 pickup, a topper on it with a small air conditioner - about the size of the one Dana and Misty had cooling their bike camping trailer at Vogal - built into the wall of the topper, a small generator mounted on a platfrom slid into a front hitch on the truck, with a bed in the back of the topper so I can sleep during the day (a HUGE issue we are finding in our current bike touring is that I still have to be able to lie down and sleep at any given time - was warned this was gonna happen by my Oncologist - some kind of Cancer Fatique thing) any time - any place..

Notice in that I STILL said NOTHING about towing a trailer? Thats cause there are two tracks upon two tracks in far off places out west in the mountains of Utah, Montana, Wyoming and the like where even Tweeks couldnt carry us and we just GOTTA find out whats out there and dragging a trailer into those places just would not work for us - even with a 4x4 truck....

Edited by cowpuc

Awe,, THANK YOU for the continued concern brother - I KNOW it all comes from a pure heart of just being worried about your buddy and his wife - THANK YOU!!

I assure you, NO ONE monitors tire air pressures as I do - I run em to spec as stamped on the tires - and always at PSI for max load. I have been touring for many years now going all the way back into the 70's and have experienced several flat tires on loaded touring scoots due to puncture from road debris (both front and rear) - including a few on my 1st Gens and can attest - NO ONE also wants to experience those any less than I do cause riding them to a stop is a exciting BUT not fun = I hear you my friend..

First let me follow the "you need a trailer" thought:

1. We do a LOT of off road stuff where a trailer simply would not work.

2. Years ago I had a buddy who got into a situation on a corner at speed where he had to brake hard and he had a small 300 pound trailer behind him. The trailer forced him into a freakish slide that he explained as "it took control of the rear of my bike". One of the things I learned early on (another flaw in my character) was to examine closely the results of people I trust when they experience stuff like that and try not to emulate = no sense in rediscovering the wheel. Another example of this is why I ALWAYS carry a styrofoam cup in my cup holder - lost a friend many years ago when the sealed water bottle he was carrying in his cup holder jumped out when he hit a bump - they found the water bottle lodged between the triple tree and the frame = locked up his steering = ol Puc NEVER carries anything but Styro Foam since that time.

3. To me, having a trailer would mean ending up carrying more junk - dont need more junk and certainly dont need to encourage who ever is in the rear seat to do more souvenier shopping either LOL..

About wearing out tires:

Years ago while crossing the country in the desert on my 350 Honda, Chopped Yamaha 650, Honda 750's, 78 Lowrider = all none touring bikes and all being ridden 1 up - it was a tire out to the coast and a tire back, about 5k per rear tire even back then in my case and NO burn outs (not that I dont LOVE pulling hole shots, just never liked watching all my cash go up in smoke) = life taught me the hard way that that hot tarmac that melts your shoes when you try to stand on it does the same with scoot tires.. For me and my style of riding (I do a LOT of close to/or triple digit cruising and a fair amount of aggressive canyon carving even with a rider onboard (Tip has me rev limited at 100) - I have NO doubt this plays part in tire wear..

Concerning the load I carry - Ya gotta remember that the bedroll that you have always seen on the back of my bike is simply a couple sleeping bags, a piece of egg foam Hospital bed covering to take the bite out of rocks and branches that may find themselves between us and the ground while camping on places like the rim of the Grand Canyon, and a Tent = weight is NOT an issue back there AND - you would be shocked at how little the bike is pushed in heavy cross winds with it!

In the end brother,, after over 1,000,000 miles of torturing these 1st Gens out in the lands where tires disappear like the sweat from a naked chest (yes,, I also ride A LOT with no shirt on out there in the deserts I love) I will probably never own/tow/drag or utilize a trailer in my biking needs (notice I said "probably" - gotta leave a little room there cause one never really knows what tomorrow brings). Long before you will see that, you will probably see Tip and I with a small 4x4 pickup, a topper on it with a small air conditioner - about the size of the one Dana and Misty had cooling their bike camping trailer at Vogal - built into the wall of the topper, a small generator mounted on a platfrom slid into a front hitch on the truck, with a bed in the back of the topper so I can sleep during the day (a HUGE issue we are finding in our current bike touring is that I still have to be able to lie down and sleep at any given time - was warned this was gonna happen by my Oncologist - some kind of Cancer Fatique thing) any time - any place..

Notice in that I STILL said NOTHING about towing a trailer? Thats cause there are two tracks upon two tracks in far off places out west in the mountains of Utah, Montana, Wyoming and the like where even Tweeks couldnt carry us and we just GOTTA find out whats out there and dragging a trailer into those places just would not work for us - even with a 4x4 truck....

Ok Puc,

Not trying to beat a dead horse. And I get it that we are two different kinds of riders. I've had two many life endangering experiences in the middle of no where, with no chance of help to ever consider going off road on a Venture. I also get it that I'm not your moral judge or compass and fully respect your right to do you own thing. Apparently what has worked just fine for me through the years just ain't your cup of tea. I'm ok with that too.

I'll just offer one last suggestion that may just be the answer to your whole argument and mine.

Have you every thought about getting two saddle horses and a mule.

Ok Puc,

Not trying to beat a dead horse. And I get it that we are two different kinds of riders. I've had two many life endangering experiences in the middle of no where, with no chance of help to ever consider going off road on a Venture. I also get it that I'm not your moral judge or compass and fully respect your right to do you own thing. Apparently what has worked just fine for me through the years just ain't your cup of tea. I'm ok with that too.

I'll just offer one last suggestion that may just be the answer to your whole argument and mine.

Have you every thought about getting two saddle horses and a mule.

At this point in my life I am just happy to be able to still get out and enjoy some type of CTFW - physically I am wayyyyy past the riding horses point.. I grew up in a fairly large family (7 kids) and my sisters (I have 5) had horses.. I spent some time breaking em for my Dad and training them all the way to neck reining.. Frankly,, while my sisters LOVED the beasts, I could never stand em.. I ALWAYS enjoyed my dirt bikes wayyyy more for my early days of off road exploits and would far rather case a KX500 on a 100 foot jump on a Motocross track than I would spend time in the willies with a horse = mule even worse.. I know,, been around LOTS of bikers who compare themselves to modern day Cowboys - not me,,, while I cant even imagine what the early settlers of our great nation went thru crossing some of the areas Tip and I have seen while mounted on Tweeks back - I certainly would NEVER want to have lived that - besides,,, horses smell funny.

Speaking of that,, we rode thru a valley outwest where a huge horse camping area was at - shoulda smelled that valley = 108 degrees and whewww eeeeee - bout made my eyes water just riding thru it..

At this point in my life I am just happy to be able to still get out and enjoy some type of CTFW - physically I am wayyyyy past the riding horses point.. I grew up in a fairly large family (7 kids) and my sisters (I have 5) had horses.. I spent some time breaking em for my Dad and training them all the way to neck reining.. Frankly,, while my sisters LOVED the beasts, I could never stand em.. I ALWAYS enjoyed my dirt bikes wayyyy more for my early days of off road exploits and would far rather case a KX500 on a 100 foot jump on a Motocross track than I would spend time in the willies with a horse = mule even worse.. I know,, been around LOTS of bikers who compare themselves to modern day Cowboys - not me,,, while I cant even imagine what the early settlers of our great nation went thru crossing some of the areas Tip and I have seen while mounted on Tweeks back - I certainly would NEVER want to have lived that - besides,,, horses smell funny.

Speaking of that,, we rode thru a valley outwest where a huge horse camping area was at - shoulda smelled that valley = 108 degrees and whewww eeeeee - bout made my eyes water just riding thru it..

Amen brother, I understand. I too grew up on horseback and understand where you coming from. Riding the big beasts ain't for old bags of bones such as ours. I'm just proud of you doing what your doing after all you've been through over the past few years. No matter how you do it. Gotta also be proud of Tip.... and Tweeksis. Y'all obviously got the teammates thing going on.

Thinking of you reminds me to Carpe Diem. I only wish I could have half the fun that y'all apparently do. Come on down to Vogel we'll skip some rocks and howl at the moon.

I would much rather see the Pucster AKA superman flying on a trike!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Puc dont do Trikes,,, well,, wait a minute,, take it back,, I had a RIOT back in my MXin days goofing off on 350x's and 2 fiddy R's - wayyyyyy more fun than the quad stuff - up on two wheels,, sliding em out,, endless wheelies were simple childs play... Then I did help build a Sporty trike for a friend a while back - WOW did I have fun on that puppy before we dropped the body on it.. Rode it like a 350x = BLAST!! But for touring? Probably not,, if I get to the point two wheels dont work no more its 4x4 truck with a topper time,,,,,,,, feet hanging over the tail gate up on the Grand Mesa (12 miles of gravel to get to that one - been there a few times on my 1st Gens) over looking Grand Junction - watching for aliens and listening to the coyotes cry..

Think I got a vid of the Sporty we did for my buddies wife... Just a second.. Yep,, here ya go.. Strange,, its the only one left of the Sporty trike we did coming up on You Tube - had a BUNCH of on there while riding it.... Hmmm,, maybe I got beyond some kind of limit on my vids LOL

:big-grin-emoticon:,,,, you think someone who would do this instead of sleeping in a AAA Motel or even a campground really cares about mic drops :big-grin-emoticon::
Thank you Lord that I've been blessed to have outlived my need to sleep on the ground! But that does look amazing!

I bet there is spooning going on. ........ Just saying.

Nope brother,, alll that stuff that creates those kind of things went bye bye with the grapefruit sized tumor/cancer - nothing left.. Pretty nasty stuff that cancer bug BUT - way I got er figured - I got off a lot better than I could have - could be pushing up daisies and not getting to play with the new grandson or watch my bucketlist R1 break 170 or fly thru Sturgis with a Superman outfit on or run off another tire on Tweeksis with Tip on the back.. God is good and today is AWESOME!!

Thank you Lord that I've been blessed to have outlived my need to sleep on the ground! But that does look amazing!

Ummmmm,, thats not need,,,,,,, :scratchchin:,,,,, :think:,,,,, never mind,,,, trying to explain this one would be like a dog trying to explain why he HAS to hang his head out the window of the car when its going down the road.. :178: