IGNORED

Misfiring? Or, in my head?

BigLenny

You know how sometimes when you're riding, you kinda get a feeling your bike is doing something when you aren't sure if it really is or not? Well, I had one of those feelings yesterday.

My wife and I went on a 300 mile ride yesterday up in the north part of our state (Arkansas), in the beautiful Ozark mountains. We're really blessed to live this close to some of the best motorcycle roads in the mid section of America.

Anywho, a few times during our ride, I could've sworn I felt Red (my RSTD) slightly misfiring. But, I could've been just imagining things. To tell you the truth, I've never experienced what it feels like when it's misfiring.

The question I have is; when one of the 4 cylinders on these bikes is misfiring, is it greatly noticeable? I know it would be if it was a 2 cylinder bike, but with 4 cylinders, I'm not sure how well it would run on 3. Would it be so under powered that I would notice it with a 2up load on it?

Maybe I was being too imaginative.

Big Lenny

Yes, these bikes run amazingly well on 3 cylinders!!

When was the last time you replaced the plugs?? What brand and type did you use?? Regular NGK's should be replaced yearly, the Iridium ones 2 to 3 years. Are you using Seafoam regularly?? When is the last time you serviced your air cleaners?? How about the fuel filter?? Bad gas?? Questions, questions...

What Bob said. Added any fuel system cleaner? I use Marvel Mystery oil when one is running well. Keeps them that way, Or you can spend the extra bucks for Sea- Foam which has about priced their selves out of my garage. I use Marvel Mystery Oil or BerryMan's B12 if I want something a little stronger.

I'm in the same boat as the OP.

My '83TK feels perfect sometimes and other times I'm asking myself if I'm dropping a cylinder.

The carbs are synchronized, the valve clearances in spec and the spark plugs and wires are new. Start's easy and idles clean. She'll hit 65mph in 2nd gear before red line and 95 in third. But, my fuel economy sucks and every once in a while I get that nagging little feeling like I just lost a piston.

Yes, these bikes run amazingly well on 3 cylinders!!

When was the last time you replaced the plugs?? What brand and type did you use?? Regular NGK's should be replaced yearly, the Iridium ones 2 to 3 years. Are you using Seafoam regularly?? When is the last time you serviced your air cleaners?? How about the fuel filter?? Bad gas?? Questions, questions...

Bongo,

Last September (about 5000 miles ago), I had the carbs synced, spark plugs replaced (NGK), and the valves adjusted. Man that things has ran beautiful since that work was done on it! I replaced the fuel pump with a brand new OEM one this past Saturday. Come to think of it, I haven't looked at the air filters in quite a while. I have never used Seafoam on it. I've never felt like it ran poorly enough to need a dose of Seafoam. BUt, I guess I should've been giving it a treatment every now and again.

As I said though, I really couldn't tell if it was missing or not. I just felt like a few times during the ride, it needed a tad more throttle, and it kinda sounded like it had a slight miss, and even had a slight vibration like it wasn't hitting on all cylinders. But then, I wouldn't notice it for a long while.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting senile in my old age.

BL

Interesting thread. Coming back from when I blew the signal fuse on the RSV....about 30 miles from home and I kept thinking the engine was missing. Turns out when I turned the corner and headed south, ran into gusty headwinds. Once I turned west again, she was smooth as silk. Don't think I've ever experienced this on the 89. Think the 89 is much slippery through the air than the RSV.

I would suspect that if you are riding double in the hills, you would notice if a cylinder quit firing.

I've never used Seafoam but I did notice that it costs $6.99 a can in the local Walmart. I use Gumout for high mileage engines because it has PEA polyetheramine in it like Chevron Techron. I've used enough Gumout to know that it won't harm a carburetor.