IGNORED

Anyone following the Venus Williams car crash?

camos

A little while ago Venus Williams was crossing an intersection when the light turned red and then her vehicle was struck by another vehicle which now had a green light. There seems to be some controversy about whose fault it was. The police did not contemplate charging her but the driver of the other vehicle is suing for wrongful death.

Seems to me if you enter an intersection legally on a green and the light turns red you still have the right of way to clear the intersection. Just because a driver has a green light does not give them the right to ignore any vehicle stranded in the intersection. That at least is what I remember from when I got my drivers license in the Jurassic period.

Would appear having lots of money and some star power paints a target on your back.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/tennis/police-williams-legally-entered-intersection-before-crash/ar-BBDYi13?li=AAggNb9

Here is New York State, you may enter an intersection on a Yellow, but you must be clear of the intersection before it turns Red! If you are still in the intersection when it turns red you are in violation of the V&T laws and can and will be issued a ticket!

Here is New York State, you may enter an intersection on a Yellow, but you must be clear of the intersection before it turns Red! If you are still in the intersection when it turns red you are in violation of the V&T laws and can and will be issued a ticket!
It's the same here in BC but if you enter an intersection on a green then get stopped before getting across the onus is on other vehicles allow you room to move out of the intersection.

In this case, I would rate Venus at 10% responsible and the other car at 90% if not 100% since the driver did not give right of way to Venus.

Yes, I did read the article and agree with you on the circumstances, and common sense (I know, we are not supposed to use those two words together anymore) would dictate what to do in this case, but you also have to take into consideration the money factor! Actually working for a living is passe' these days and people would much rather sue people for money instead! Becky is being sued for her recent error in judgment, and there is a question as to whether or not the guy in the pickup may have been speeding even though Becky turned in front of the two vehicles. The other vehicle was able to come to a complete stop without hitting her in spite of the fact that the truck was in the left lane behind the other vehicle that was in the right lane...

I was 26 when I got my license. Which here is a necessity. Mass transit doesn't travel all over the city or between this city or the one 20 miles south. (which is a huge local complaint, this is a big metro area with commuters between both cities) I didn't want to have the responsibility of a car or driving, or the whatif I had an accident and hurt or killed people. I have a limited number of years behind the wheel before either mental or physical impairment force me to stop driving. Been lucky so far, only accidents thus far have been parking lots oops and the mailman hitting me. ( he was doing abt 60 while I was stopped at a light, speed limit was 45mph, that was awesome let me tell ya!)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Red means Stop, Amber means stop, Green does NOT mean "GO!" As has been said previously it means "Go if safe to do so!" I see it all the time here on Lower Mainland BC, Green?.... Scream away from the stop line with no regard what's happening around them. Just plain stupid.

& give some of these idiots a roundabout/ traffic circle to negotiate...

in a similar vein... Recently in a local newspaper there were letters from three ladies complaining how "ignorant & stupid" (their words) drivers would not move to the left to let them merge onto the highway. These ladies really berated these drivers, one even saying she "honked numerous times at the idiot who wouldn't move over to let her in". The road they were talking about is a two lane divided highway with two merge on ramps quite close together.

I also wrote to the newspaper in response, pointing out that "merge" does not mean barge your way out regardless & expect those on the main highway to yield to you. There may be a very good reason why a driver on the highway cannot move to his left, there may be something on their left that the person merging cannot see. (especially with semi's).

I ended with Remember... Right of Way is something that is granted NOT something that is Taken!

Edited by Kretz

I also wrote to the newspaper in response, pointing out that "merge" does not mean barge your way out regardless & expect those on the main highway to yield to you. There may be a very good reason why a driver on the highway cannot move to his left, there may be something on their left that the person merging cannot see. (especially with semi's).

I ended with Remember... Right of Way is something that is granted NOT something that is Taken!

Merging does not necessarily mean moving over into another lane. One possibility is for the vehicle in the travel lane to slow enough to allow enough space for the merging vehicle to fit in. That of course requires the merging vehicle to speed up to match the flow of traffic.

It is an offence here to not allow enough space for merging traffic to get into the flow. Also, the overtaking vehicle must maintain its speed or slow enough to let the merging vehicle fit in so no speeding up to close the gap and prevent a safe merge. Right of way is granted until imminent risk of collision then no one has it.

On a similar topic, a little while ago a USN ship collided with a container ship where several of the crew were killed. The navy ship ostensibly had the right of way, again up to a point that collision is imminent. When in a right of way situation it is required for the overtaken vessel to maintain course and speed until the right of way situation is resolved. The navy ship apparently was tracking the container ship for quite a few miles. Since large cargo ships are notoriously under powered it takes several miles for them to either alter course or come to a stop. I think the navy deck officer should have his ass in a sling over this collision. Sadly, or perhaps justly, the captain who was injured in his stateroom which was at the collision point will also get demerits for the deck officers lack of good sense and/or lack of training.

I live a couple of towns north of where this happened and new surveillance video shows she went through the intersection on a green light and the other driver ran the red.
I have not heard of that, thought both of them had a green light. If that is the case then the the lawsuit will or should go in Venus's favour.

Merging does not necessarily mean moving over into another lane. One possibility is for the vehicle in the travel lane to slow enough to allow enough space for the merging vehicle to fit in. That of course requires the merging vehicle to speed up to match the flow of traffic.

It is an offence here to not allow enough space for merging traffic to get into the flow. Also, the overtaking vehicle must maintain its speed or slow enough to let the merging vehicle fit in so no speeding up to close the gap and prevent a safe merge. Right of way is granted until imminent risk of collision then no one has it.

On a similar topic, a little while ago a USN ship collided with a container ship where several of the crew were killed. The navy ship ostensibly had the right of way, again up to a point that collision is imminent. When in a right of way situation it is required for the overtaken vessel to maintain course and speed until the right of way situation is resolved. The navy ship apparently was tracking the container ship for quite a few miles. Since large cargo ships are notoriously under powered it takes several miles for them to either alter course or come to a stop. I think the navy deck officer should have his ass in a sling over this collision. Sadly, or perhaps justly, the captain who was injured in his stateroom which was at the collision point will also get demerits for the deck officers lack of good sense and/or lack of training.

Of course merging means moving into another lane, the merge lane tapers to nothing, therefore the merging vehicle must move into the lane on their left.(unless you have a complete dedicated lane) but then they're not merging, they are simply staying in their lane.

The problem with many merging vehicles is that they do NOT speed up to match traffic on the main highway. Also many merge lanes are way too short to allow merging traffic to get up to highway speed.

You might want to check your second para with ICBC. Merging vehicles afaik should yield to those on the main highway. (not the other way around) Of course people on the main highway can be polite by slowing & allowing merging traffic to complete their merge but I don't believe it's law.

Merging vehicles afaik should yield to those on the main highway. (not the other way around) Of course people on the main highway can be polite by slowing & allowing merging traffic to complete their merge but I don't believe it's law.
Quite so but what I was thinking is not so much just the nearest vehicle in the travel lane but also the next two or three. In my observation, particularly on lower speed highways, the vehicles are virtually bumper to bumper for many cars back. I have had a lot of experience dealing with ferry traffic that is bumper to bumper for a kilometer or two.

I like to do a little on-ramp warrior move when merging at full highway speeds. Coming up to the speed limit next to a vehicle in the travel lane, see if they speed up. If they do then match them and then throttle back and slide into the space they opened up behind them. Alternatively, if they don't speed up or slow down I crack the throttle and enter traffic at mach 1 before backing off. On ramping can be a great deal of fun.

I had some imbecile that was behind me and pulled into the merge lane pulled up next to me and matched my speed and was then VERY upset I did not move out of his way to let him merge. He told me I was #1 . So I smiled and waved and he went berserk. Then he started to play games so I explained the difference between my V8 Chevy with speed governors removed, and his V6 Dodge. Never saw him again after he faded in my rear view mirror.

I had some imbecile that was behind me and pulled into the merge lane pulled up next to me and matched my speed and was then VERY upset I did not move out of his way to let him merge. He told me I was #1 . So I smiled and waved and he went berserk. Then he started to play games so I explained the difference between my V8 Chevy with speed governors removed, and his V6 Dodge. Never saw him again after he faded in my rear view mirror.

One has to wonder what is wrong with these people!

Often they can easily slip in behind you, but noooooo, they must be in front.

In Arizona, you MUST wait until the intersection is clear before proceeding. Even if the other driver is running the red. That's the law here.

Regarding merging, yea...we have the same problem here too. The DOT took down the merge signs and now people think all they have to do is put on their blinkies and we all will move out of their way. Even if they enter at 45mph and the speed limit is 75! I tell ya, road rage is going to be more common if this keeps up. No common sense.

According to the press release, Williams, traveling north, entered the intersection on a green light. But because of heavy traffic, she became held up in the intersection when another car “entered the intersection traveling south, and made a left turn in front of William’s vehicle, causing her to stop advancing through the intersection to avoid a collision.”

During that time, Barson’s light turned green.

Moments later, Linda Barson drove through the same intersection on a green light and T-boned Williams’ vehicle, the press release states.

As this happened here in FL i'll weighing. A recent news story featuring a COP and a lawyer, the law is very clear about entering and intersection. the way ahead must be clear enough to allow the vehicle to completely cross the intersection before proceeding.

that means all those people who fill an intersection and stop waiting for traffic to clear can be ticketed! Police have begun doing that around here over the past couple of weeks, if the lane or lanes ahead are filled with stopped traffic it is illegal to enter the intersection. If the light turns green you must assess the condition before entering. Both the cop and the lawyer agreed that in cases like heres (they wouldn't comment on hers) that the person who was already in the intersection would not be considered at fault.

The traffic code never really grants a right of way but will tell you when you should yield the right of way to another person or vehicle.

This would be the case in the following circumstances:

• When you enter the roadway from a parking space;
  • When you drive on an unpaved road intersecting with a paved road;
  • When you turn left at an intersection, yielding to pedestrians, oncoming vehicles, etc.;
  • When a crossing vehicle has already entered the intersection;
  • When you arrive at the through road of a T-intersection;
  • When pedestrians enter a crosswalk;
  • When disabled persons attempt to cross the road;
  • At yield signs.