IGNORED

oil leak at clutch cover, slow leak clutch slave cylinder?

Anyone else get this? was cleaned well just before a 2500 mile road trip. I have a new gasket on hand was wondering if there are any "secret" issues I should know about there. I have not done any clutch mods, and so far clutch is working fine. I ride mostly solo, long distance (other bikes for town riding) and have a pretty well educated clutch hand.

DSCN7536.jpgDSCN7535.jpg

Mostly unrelated; bought bike last August with 10.8K, it had a plugged relief port in the clutch MC got that unplugged, and bled,now at 20K during last weeks road trip I had a non op clutch after it had been parked overnight at a pretty good angle, fluid was very low, got it working with lots of lever pumping added DOT 3 (only thing available at a tiny nearby town) and came home with no problem but had to add a bit more fluid, I see a leaky slave is not uncommon how hard is the R&R? Have not seen any leaks at MC.

Not exactly sure where top picture is at, but lower pictures is either anti freeze leak from cover above, valve cover leak or leaking down from carb. Those are the only places I can think of that would leave that at that place.

What does it taste like?

If your clutch slave cylinder is leaking, which from what you described with the low fluid I bet it is, then you will be better served replacing the slave rather than trying to rebuild it!! The replacement units are not that expensive, and through the experience of many here rebuilding does not work out very good and they leak again after a short while...

Let's see if this pic shows it better...

DSCN7537.jpg

It could be something else, thought it was a leak from the clutch cover, smell a bit of gas now and then, usually only when she's tipped on the side stand pretty far. All 4 float valves and bowl gaskets replaced fuel float height checked and tested under fuel pump pressure. Antifreeze is up to level in the bottle, haven't messed with it at all.

I would go in the direction that "sldunker" is talking about. I doubt that the clutch slave is causing this particular problem as it's on the other side of the motor and sits low.

There's no way that it could leak to the other side like that unless you are riding in a constant right hand turn. Especially up higher like it looks on the clutch cover.

If the clutch slave seems to be leaking, that's most likely a separate issue.

I'm inclined to think it's from the vent hose from the carbs. Looks like it's oil type dirt inside the center of the bike frame area...like the oil was a bit too full and you were running fast and furious. Blew the oil up into the air cleaners and back down the hoses or loose carb joints.

Will note the Leak/dirt has been forming pretty consistently here since I have owned the bike, enough to attract dirt not enough to leave a drip.

Is there a write up in tech for the clutch slave R&R?

I agree with the others who are suggesting the oil coming from the breather. It's pretty quick and easy to pull the tank and air ducts to see if there is oil there. I have had to clean this on a couple of these.

I just rebuilt my clutch slave cylinder last week. It was loosing hydraulic fluid, but never left a spot or anything.

in pulling the engine side cover off to access the cylinder, it was really nasty in there. I rebuilt the master cylinder while I was at it. So far so good. Going to Sturgis next month I'll know when I get back.

Clutch slave usually leaks into the void behind it, you'll loose a lot of fluid before you ever see it. With where you see the accumulation, I'd suspect either a vent line or bad gasket on the twinkie cover.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Could be a leaking valve cover gasket on right rear cylinder. Just saying.., Check to see if the oil is getting on rear right exhaust header. May be burning off while you ride then running down after bike cools down.