IGNORED

Anyone noticed?

camos

Key thing is, the sniper and his spotter made the shot an took out an ISIS militant and saved several lives. Shot calculated, shot taken, scratch one ISIS soldier. I lean towards skill but even if you think it was luck....thank you to our military for their services.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

re: women long range shooters

During WWII one of the most feared (and celebrated) units of the war included a Russian woman sniper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko credited with 309 kills. The web page is interesting reading. She was the first Russian of the war to tour Canada and the USA and meet President Roosevelt.

Pavlichenko had the option of becoming a nurse but refused; "I joined the army when women were not yet accepted".[6] There she became one of 2,000 female snipers in the Red Army, of whom about 500 survived the war. In early August 1941 she made her first two kills as a sniper near Belyayevka, using a Tokarev SVT-40 semi-automatic rifle with 3.5X telescopic sight

In the US there is a growing number of women shooters who have been challenging for the top spot in matches. I was at Camp Perry when a female Marine shooter took top honors (not just top woman) for Service Rifle and another year when Nancy Gallagher and her 2 daughters dominated the 1,000 yard events.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/michelle-gallagher/

Nancy, Sherri, and Michelle — The Tompkins/Gallager Clan

There are three more ladies, champions all, who should be included in the Top 50 list. We would definitely add Nancy Tompkins, and daughters Sherri Gallagher and Michelle Gallagher to this list. Nancy and Sherri are the only two women in history to have won the National High Power championship. Michelle Gallagher has won the Long Range National championship and she also serves as the coach of the U.S.A. F-Open team at the 2017 F-Class World Championships. Nancy Tompkins has rightly been called the “First Lady of American Shooting” and rightly so. You won’t find a nicer person, or a more talented shooter. Sherri, currently with the U.S. Army Golden Knights parachute Team, was an ace shooter with the USAMU squad who earned U.S. Army’s Soldier of the Year honors in 2010.

And more recently in the news have been stories of women snipers fighting with the Kurdish militia. http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-40430552/female-kurdish-sniper-cheats-death-at-hands-of-is

For all you folks north of the boarder, here's a female Canadian trap shooter worth mentioning. Susan Natrass. The targets are definitely different but the skill is there. Sue was 9 years younger and dated my co-worker Tom Garrigus (Silver Medal Olympic International Trap Mexico) for a while. If I remember her dad owned the Levi Distributorship around Toronto??

On the female Russian snipers. Here's a colorized pic of a few of them that was posted on a gun collector site. Of the original 2000 Russian women snipers of WWII only 500 survived...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/04/19/11/3F60127200000578-0-image-a-36_1492596416036.jpg

Edited by Condor

Key thing is, the sniper and his spotter made the shot an took out an ISIS militant and saved several lives. Shot calculated, shot taken, scratch one ISIS soldier. I lean towards skill but even if you think it was luck....thank you to our military for their services.

""scratch one ISIS soldier"" = BINGO!!!!!!!!!

""thank you to our military for their services."" = DOUBLE BINGO!!! = a HUGE thank you to ALL those folks out there fighting to keep the free world FREE!!

IMHO - one of the things that having taken full advantage of our countries 2nd Amendment rights thru the years has taught me (and obviously others) thru a life time of shooting experience is just how difficult it becomes to score a hit as the range increases.. I personally have shot out to 1000 yards with a 7 mag, thru an 18 power scope and gotta say - everything has to be perfect just to keep your ammo from bouncing off the rocks in the canyon floor between you and your target on the mountain side your shootin at.. To folks not familiar with attempting such a thing,, trying to explain to them simple things like just the affect of touching the trigger on the weapon and seeing your heart beat in the scope is hard to understand - and this is thru a measly 18 power scope shooting 1000 yards.. Cant even begin to imagine +2 miles thru optics powerful enough to show a kill zone and not be computer assisted somehow .. 1760 yards x 2 (2 miles) is a longggg ways.. One thing for sure - regardless of how that Canuckian sniper did it (and I am PROUD of him for doing so - HATS OFF TO YOU MY BROTHER!!) - I sure am glad he is on our side!!!:thumbsup:

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK OUT THERE!!!!! :thumbsup:

""scratch one ISIS soldier"" = BINGO!!!!!!!!!

""thank you to our military for their services."" = DOUBLE BINGO!!! = a HUGE thank you to ALL those folks out there fighting to keep the free world FREE!!

IMHO - one of the things that having taken full advantage of our countries 2nd Amendment rights thru the years has taught me (and obviously others) thru a life time of shooting experience is just how difficult it becomes to score a hit as the range increases.. I personally have shot out to 1000 yards with a 7 mag, thru an 18 power scope and gotta say - everything has to be perfect just to keep your ammo from bouncing off the rocks in the canyon floor between you and your target on the mountain side your shootin at.. To folks not familiar with attempting such a thing,, trying to explain to them simple things like just the affect of touching the trigger on the weapon and seeing your heart beat in the scope is hard to understand - and this is thru a measly 18 power scope shooting 1000 yards.. Cant even begin to imagine +2 miles thru optics powerful enough to show a kill zone and not be computer assisted somehow .. 1760 yards x 2 (2 miles) is a longggg ways.. One thing for sure - regardless of how that Canuckian sniper did it (and I am PROUD of him for doing so - HATS OFF TO YOU MY BROTHER!!) - I sure am glad he is on our side!!!:thumbsup:

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK OUT THERE!!!!! :thumbsup:

:sign yeah that::backinmyday::usa::sign yeah that::banana::usa::mugshot::usa::sign yeah that::backinmyday:

Don't know much about a .50 cal sniper rifle had a lot of experience shooting a .50 cal auto at 500 to 600 meters mounted on a ring mount tracked personnel carrier. One them things that happens in life that only occurs then and only then. Would I do it again in a heart beat . Awesome power and adrenaline rush and living life to the max.

Just came across this, haven't watched it all yet, but it's supposed to be an analysis of that shot.

Just thought you may be interested...

It's supposed to be a link to the video but it posts it here, sorry if that's not allowed please delete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzwY6jIwr2o

One thing that comes over on this thread is that we are ALL thankful for & indebted to our military & those who serve. To the guys & ladies that are willing to offer up everything to protect our lives & our safety, whether they be Canadian, US, UK whatever.

We are proud of them, support & thank them all for their service & I for one wish them all the luck in the world. Stay safe, alive & return home to your loved ones. Thank You All!

Edited by Kretz