IGNORED

2018 Star Venture

Maybe I'm missing it, but I've been searching for a ride review from someone who's purchased and ridden the 2018 Star Venture. (I've read the Rider review.) I live in Southern California, and I've seen temperatures of 113F while stuck in traffic on my FJR on Highway 101 in the summer, so, excited as I am about the new Star Venture TC, I'm afraid to buy one. Are there rider reviews on this forum that I'm missing?

I rode em numerous times out in Sturgis last year and put the engine/exhaust pipe heat smack dab between the Polaris bikes with the 111 in em and the HD 103/110 which I have some experience on both of those too.. The Polaris Indian being considerably hotter and the Harley being the lesser of the 3.. Keep in mind that my opinion is coming from a "2 up" touring perspective. Ironically,, one of the major bike magazines just spun out a comparison between the three and totally agreed with what I experienced HOTTEST = Polaris 111, HOT = Yam TC and lesser of the three when coming to heat = HD Road Glide with the M8. All my opinion (which we are all entitled to IMHO) - always best do your own test!!

Another close friend of mine, brother and fellow VR member also did a journalist ride on the Eluder and SVTC and he found the exhaust header heat on the left side to be unbareably hot and shared your concern.. Personally, I know the person who wrote this and can tell you he has a ton of experience on the tour and I trust his word.. His experience and professional opinion can be read at the link at the end of this paragraph. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/03/01/iron-butt-comparison-2018-yamaha-star-venture-vs-personalized-2007-royal-star-venture/

A new member here at VR named Zelthian purchased the new bike and wrote this as a summary of his ride experience:

[h=2]"""" 2018 Yamaha Star Venture - Mike's Personal Review[/h]

I'm going to attempt to make this concise. Please feel free to ask questions, and I'll add things as I see fit from these questions.

INTRODUCTION

I'd had my eye on this bike since it was announced back in the June timeframe last year. I was still feeling the effects of the Victory closure announcement (I had a 2011 Victory Cross Roads), and since that time I had been window shopping for my next bike. I had mentally settled on the Indian Roadmaster, as I wanted a v-twin touring bike, but I wasn't completely thrilled with the option. I'm a bit of a geek (as some might have noticed), and while the traditional styling of the Indians is nice, it just wasn't really my mug of coffee. I still remember the first time I saw the new Star Venture. My first reaction was, "Yeah, like that!" on the styling. I was hooked, so I had to force myself to curb my enthusiasm. I wasn't yet in a position to be able to afford it, and I didn't want my fan-boy feeling to cause me to overlook flaws that may give me reason not to buy one. My biggest concern going in was the weight; 963 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. So I did my research, read the reviews, kept up with things in the news and bid my time until my daughter finished school.

It was then I saw on on the showroom floor at the same dealer where I bought my Victory. I made the mistake of sitting on it and letting the sales guy hold it so I could check my sitting clearance for my legs. It was, of course, a perfect fit. I let the guy "tell me all about it" (not mentioning the research I had already done), told him I was considering it, and left. A week later I brought my teenage son in try out the passenger seat. Of course he loved it. Told the guy I was still seriously considering it, and left. It was another week and a half before I returned, having done due diligence on finances and whatnot. I insisted on a test ride. The sales guy immediately agreed. I was so nervous I was going to drop the thing, but I didn't. It just didn't feel like a 963-pound bike, even at low speed. It accelerated far more effortlessly than I imagined and it turned and handled very well. When I returned to the dealership, I bought the bike.

THE GOOD

Now that I've put 2000 miles on the bike, I'm comfortable saying I am more confident riding this bike than my Victory Cross Roads, which surprised me given the 200-pound difference in weight. At low speed it feels like a much lighter bike. On the highway it doesn't break a sweat. Indeed, my son, having eaten good BBQ before a leg of a ride as dozed off on the back more than once (he's ok, no worries). The passenger seat is equally comfortable, and I find myself debating on whether I really need highway pegs (I'm 5' 9" in boots). Despite its bulk, it is a well-engineered machine.

Power is awesome for a stock v-twin. Now that I can rev the engine beyond 2600, I've been able to get a better idea of the engine's capabilities. I'm not a expert (this is only my third bike), but I haven't found myself wanting for power. The transmission shifts easily (though I find myself occasionally over-shifting neutral).

Storage space is cavernous. This is my first tour trunk, I've been kicking myself for not investing in one sooner. What I normally carry fits well in the saddlebags, leaving the trunk to stash my helmet and jacket when I stop. The cubbies elsewhere are nice but I haven't found a use for them yet (yet) outside of holding and charging my phone.

I have the Transcontinental model, so features are vast. I haven't use the CB yet (I have along trip coming up), but I've taken in most of the other audio options. It's easier to list what doesn't come with the bike than what does come with the bike, which is saying something.

This is also my first bike with heated seats and grips. And you can set the levels for High/Medium/Low heat in the infotainment system. I also got the accessory headed grips for the passenger. My son loves them.

Generally, I'm getting about 35-37 mpg in the city, and 44-47 mpg on the highway.

One year warranty, four additional years extended warranty.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

Does the engine put off heat? Yes. Is it enough to be a real bother? No. I've found it's most noticeable when I've been on the highway, then I have to stop and wait for several minutes. It's not going to burn your leg off, but it will warm you up a bit on cool days. Also, this heat can be mitigated a great deal by opening the vents just forward of the floorboards to let air in by your legs.

My biggest gripes are with some of the niggles with the Infotainment System. These are documented ad nauseam elsewhere on the forums, so I won't go into too much detail. The voice prompts on the GPS can't be adjusted (the voice breaks in too often for my taste). Importing a route is needlessly complex. Routes are limited to 5 waypoints. The Pandora control isn't stable and breaks randomly (viva la Bluetooth). Despite these niggles, it is quite functional. An update should be available "Any Day Now
TM
".

My bike does get a bit of transmission whine from time to time, though it seems to be lessening a bit as time goes on.

The throttle can be a bit twitchy. It's a throttle-by-wire system, and there are times when I feel I may have let off just a tiny bit only to have the engine down-rev more than expected. It has taken some getting used to.

SUMMARY

I've gotten into the habit of telling folks that this is the bike I was waiting for. I really like this bike, and I find myself trying to come up with excuses to get out on it. It is fantastic for what it is, and I'm very glad I made the upgrade.""""""""""

And yet another one of the new members who is suppose to be picking up his brand spanking new Red SVTC today, wrote the below after he was finally able to procure a 50 mile test ride up near his home in Ontario Canada. Personally, I think that until we hear of actual riding of the SVTC in the kind of temps you are speaking of in the desert regions where many of love to ride so we know exactly how the new Venture is gonna handle the heat - it is still up in the air.. Here is the report from the person getting his today:

Hello all, well, today I was going to head out north to Lake Simcoe, but instead my dealer said that we are definitely on for Tuesday. I said oh...that's good, looking really forward to it...and he said, that's not only what he was calling to tell me about, but that he had a very good reason to have me ride out. I asked why?

"
Because I have an SVTC for you to ride, if you want?
"

WHAT??!!?!?!??!! HECK YES!.......forget Lake Simcoe...eastbound and riding...zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom-------------------------arrive at dealer.

Before I talk about my ride, which will probably get me banned (just joking...) or de-friended by some here (not perhaps joking, lol) ...here is the birth process of my gal...nearing her completion.

https://s17.postimg.cc/4hloaty5b/005.jpg

https://s17.postimg.cc/g6pnytc9b/006.jpg

!

https://s17.postimg.cc/574gn7tjz/007.jpg

Well on her way to being born, and ready to go home this coming Tuesday.

Now...the rest of this post is probably going to be strongly opinionated and perhaps worded. I can't help that...because I think there is a terrible disservice being done to the Yamaha Star Venture, and to Yamaha engineering, itself. If I step on toes with the following...I am sorry..I can't help that:

The following as I see it, needs to be said/typed:

I got to ride a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental in an ambient temperature of 81 F today. It hit that where I was in bright sunshine. Whether it would be 85, or even 90, would have truly made no
tremendous
impact to riding the bike at 81 F.

I rode the motorcycle for over 50 miles...(he told me I could...and welcomed my opinion as of coming off years with a Gold Wing. I later found out he bought it for himself, with part of it, being my unbridled enthusiasm in anticipation for mine, and that I left a Gold Wing et al. Where he got it from, I didn't ask. It was in great shape and red!)

With all that out of the way. I want to open up by saying that my 'intelligent expectations', were met at a level of 600 per cent. I'd say...my experience was 6 times or more, GREATER, than I would have 'hoped' would be my ride, down country lanes, on the Highway 401, up hills..down into dales, all of it. This motorcycle folks..from a guy who has ridden untold thousands upon thousands of miles in over 50 years uninterrupted, is truly The Ring, that Rules Them All... The ride, the torque on tap from the get go. The open full throttle hell-bent response of this magnificent motor...is AT LEAST as fast up taking as the 118 hp, 6 cylinder Honda Gl1800. The first time I took it from 2-6, at full throttle on Sport Mode, it was snapping my head back..and I had to hold onto the bars, for my body sliding backward! This engine, AND FORGET IT BEING 77 horsepower...my gawd...the torque and PULL this thing has...can put your lips back over your forehead...H.S.!

When I was then within my 50 miles, (no 15 minute demo...with bikes all around me...no...I WAS RIDING THIS BABY!!!!) Full throttle pulls, slow progressive shifting at 1200-1500 up shifts, etc...5th and 6th gear low RPM roll outs...all of it... I became angry....yep...real anger...that lots of poor souls, looking for a different ride, perhaps looking for this exact ride...are being misinformed, being 'played' by what I feel, could be a group of forum and YouTube posters, that have an agenda...yes...I said it...(here's the banning banter...) AN AGENDA, to want to see this bike fail...to want to punish Yamaha, for NOT putting 'the' engine that they wanted to see in the 'new' Venture. They hate the choice that Yamaha made...are angry with the choice that Yamaha made...and want to get in their 'shots'....to punish Yamaha...and to PROVE that their engine choice, a large bore, traditional V-Twin WAS THE WRONG CHOICE! That it was air/oil cooled, and not what they wanted to see in the new rig...a liquid cooled engine...WAS THE WRONG CHOICE....and so...they came, these certain bloggers, riders...to any number of Yamaha Demo Days, to want to ride this big bore, V-Twin configuration, READY, like a gunfighter on the streets of Laredo...ready to pull out, and blast anything they did not like about the bike...and most...c'mon...most already had a bug up their wazoo, BECAUSE of the choices Yama Mama made...that did not align with their hopeful expectations.

First off....to all those bloggers who had me worked up that this bike has a really bad HEAT Output problem...and 'Oh...it about cooked my left thigh! Oh...man....I started cookin' at the red light. Oh...jeez...it's so hot, who could ride this bike in 80--90 F temperatures...Oh...Oh...."

All you folks...and every one of those 50 miles today, says you are spouting a crock of **##*@@!
WHAT HEAT? AGAIN....WHAT BLISTERING AND SO UNCOMFORTABLE HEAT? WHERE? BELOW ME? NOT! ON MY LEFT THIGH? NOT....ON MY LEFT ANKLE...NOT! What a crock of
was being blogged and YouTubed out there on these Demo Rides...by folks that had absoltuly NO wish to own...did not WANT to own a V-Twin, air/oil cooled...most were NOT HAPPY WITH YAMAHA in their design...and quite frankly...wanted to dumb down the bike. 'Oh man...this is why I would NOT BUY this bike...". What a load of ##&@*, the all of it.

Folks, if you want the truth....and you are open to it...and every SVTC owner on this forum will also tell you....THEY HAVEN'T FELT blistering....uncomfortable...oh 'JEEZ'...heat...being given off by this engine...whether (at 82 F) sitting at a red light
LIKE I DID
, whether being stuck in 15 minute 401 lane closure back-ups
LIKE I DID
, running at stop and go for 1 mile
LIKE I DID
, and then rode slow 30 miles per hour loping along in 3rd/4th like I did...or blasting down the roadway at 60-85 MPH, like I did today...in 5th and 6th.

Folks...with lower level fairing vents open on both sides of the bike for Summer riding, with the two wind deflectors moved inwards to capture cool air, (that they were designed to , and for to be used), there NEVER...let me repeat that...NEVER was a time that this engine, put out MORE heat than my 750 cc in-line four Kawasaki ZR7S!!!!!

Yeah..had to shout that...

This bike, runs...COOL...cooler in the cockpit, and on my legs and thighs, than even my in-line air/oil cooled Kawa, at only 750 CC's

Am I banned yet, Freebird? (hope not...) I believe that after actually riding this bike...experiencing this bike over 50 miles...in traffic, out of traffic, at crawling along, at 30 mph, at 80 mph...by my own, and not somebody's ELSE'S YouTube commentary...that there is absolutely to this man's mind...that there is a
conspiracy with intent
by some, to see this model, this first year release, and the choices that Yamaha made regarding this bike...TO FAIL...because (sour grapes) it did not match their metrics and expectations. Simply that....

I can't imagine how many potential adopters, have been put off...scared off...by quite a few riders...that HAD NO SKIN IN THE GAME...had no intentions of seeing this motorcycle as their possible next...had no intention whatsoever...than came on YouTube, came on varied Forums, and told their tales of SVTC woe..."there was so much heat put out..that I felt it was cooking my leg....blah, blah....B.S....blah.

Folks...FORGET their comments, if they had never said, they had gone to the demo, with a true interest in mind...to purchase this bike. Their comments are totally 'glad I didn't buy this...because wow...the heat...the heat nearly cooked my leg..." are biased as H*ll!

Forget their comments...heck, forget MY comments...and please...if you want a change up of venue...if you want a new ride, for ANY of your good reasons...and have been dissuaded by what you have read, or what you have 'rode along with' by bloggers such as ..well, I won't name them...

You will be shooting yourself in the foot..if you truly bypass riding this motorcycle
for yourself.
...being sure that the bike has been configured for the season you are riding in....Summer Fall, Spring....open the lower vents...move in the air deflectors to collect cool air...and RIDE...you will surely feel a warmth...but folks...Jesus....it is only a nice hugging warmth...that any engine will put out...even my 750 Kawasaki...but in NO WAY, NO WAY, are you going to feel uncomfortable...going to feel that this heat is rider-unbearable. That, my friends...with 50 miles in the saddle...on this magnificent motorcycle...those outlandish comments...is a crock of you-know-what!!!

Ride for yourself...and foment your own opinions....not rely on other's riding comments...and heck...even my own here....ride for yourself!

If this bans me...then it was a great run, here folks...but it had to be said. Some really bad copy was being published since the reveal...and I, and so many others, must have at some of it, bought into it. I still purchased, on
intelligent expectation.
My ride today...two days before Charlotte comes home..SHOWED me, that my years of riding...my years of "hmmmm reading that Yamaha Engineers put out a bike that was for some,
cooking their legs, thighs,
that..but from my experience, over 50 years of riding air, air/oil, liquid cool motorcycles, ....THAT doesn't, or didn't gel, or sounded right"....

Folks...my ride today...rewarded my 'intelligent expectations, by over at least 6 times what I had HOPED FOR, to experience. Off the soapbox....but it has to be said....there is a conspiracy of sorts...my ride today made
that clear
... This bike, runs normal, and runs cool. You feel warmth, you do NOT feel
HEAT
! You feel no more engine warmth output than any air/oil cooled, inline four 750cc!

Cheers

Can't wait...and glad that I did NOT make the opinion of another, the Opinion that RULES THEM ALL.

And that includes my opinion, quite frankly. If you have ever thought of owning a traditional large bore, high torque at low maintained RPM...then go do yourself a favor....
go out for a ride.
..(put the bike into summer or fall mode...) and see for yourself. Trust me on one thing, you won't be coming back smelling like Prime Rib...sorry, you'll still have to take your lovely co-rider out for dinner, to get that....

Joe

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had pretty much dropped the new Venture, but thanks very much for the responses, as a result of which I will give it a test ride.

GaryK

Just remember that a new bike in the break in period will run hotter than after the break in period.

My 2018 Star Venture has gotten cooler as it was breaking in. I now have 1,000 miles on it and it puts out no more heat then 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour did or my 2016 Harley Ultra Limited Low with twin cool did.

One thing I do find on all the air cooled engines in bikes I have had is if you run conventional oil they will run a little hotter and if you run synthetic oil they will run just a little cooler.

I rode em numerous times out in Sturgis last year and put the engine/exhaust pipe heat smack dab between the Polaris bikes with the 111 in em and the HD 103/110 which I have some experience on both of those too.. The Polaris Indian being considerably hotter and the Harley being the lesser of the 3.. Keep in mind that my opinion is coming from a "2 up" touring perspective. Ironically,, one of the major bike magazines just spun out a comparison between the three and totally agreed with what I experienced HOTTEST = Polaris 111, HOT = Yam TC and lesser of the three when coming to heat = HD Road Glide with the M8. All my opinion (which we are all entitled to IMHO) - always best do your own test!!

Another close friend of mine, brother and fellow VR member also did a journalist ride on the Eluder and SVTC and he found the exhaust header heat on the left side to be unbareably hot and shared your concern.. Personally, I know the person who wrote this and can tell you he has a ton of experience on the tour and I trust his word.. His experience and professional opinion can be read at the link at the end of this paragraph. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/03/01/iron-butt-comparison-2018-yamaha-star-venture-vs-personalized-2007-royal-star-venture/

A new member here at VR named Zelthian purchased the new bike and wrote this as a summary of his ride experience:

"""" 2018 Yamaha Star Venture - Mike's Personal Review

I'm going to attempt to make this concise. Please feel free to ask questions, and I'll add things as I see fit from these questions.

INTRODUCTION

I'd had my eye on this bike since it was announced back in the June timeframe last year. I was still feeling the effects of the Victory closure announcement (I had a 2011 Victory Cross Roads), and since that time I had been window shopping for my next bike. I had mentally settled on the Indian Roadmaster, as I wanted a v-twin touring bike, but I wasn't completely thrilled with the option. I'm a bit of a geek (as some might have noticed), and while the traditional styling of the Indians is nice, it just wasn't really my mug of coffee. I still remember the first time I saw the new Star Venture. My first reaction was, "Yeah, like that!" on the styling. I was hooked, so I had to force myself to curb my enthusiasm. I wasn't yet in a position to be able to afford it, and I didn't want my fan-boy feeling to cause me to overlook flaws that may give me reason not to buy one. My biggest concern going in was the weight; 963 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. So I did my research, read the reviews, kept up with things in the news and bid my time until my daughter finished school.

It was then I saw on on the showroom floor at the same dealer where I bought my Victory. I made the mistake of sitting on it and letting the sales guy hold it so I could check my sitting clearance for my legs. It was, of course, a perfect fit. I let the guy "tell me all about it" (not mentioning the research I had already done), told him I was considering it, and left. A week later I brought my teenage son in try out the passenger seat. Of course he loved it. Told the guy I was still seriously considering it, and left. It was another week and a half before I returned, having done due diligence on finances and whatnot. I insisted on a test ride. The sales guy immediately agreed. I was so nervous I was going to drop the thing, but I didn't. It just didn't feel like a 963-pound bike, even at low speed. It accelerated far more effortlessly than I imagined and it turned and handled very well. When I returned to the dealership, I bought the bike.

THE GOOD

Now that I've put 2000 miles on the bike, I'm comfortable saying I am more confident riding this bike than my Victory Cross Roads, which surprised me given the 200-pound difference in weight. At low speed it feels like a much lighter bike. On the highway it doesn't break a sweat. Indeed, my son, having eaten good BBQ before a leg of a ride as dozed off on the back more than once (he's ok, no worries). The passenger seat is equally comfortable, and I find myself debating on whether I really need highway pegs (I'm 5' 9" in boots). Despite its bulk, it is a well-engineered machine.

Power is awesome for a stock v-twin. Now that I can rev the engine beyond 2600, I've been able to get a better idea of the engine's capabilities. I'm not a expert (this is only my third bike), but I haven't found myself wanting for power. The transmission shifts easily (though I find myself occasionally over-shifting neutral).

Storage space is cavernous. This is my first tour trunk, I've been kicking myself for not investing in one sooner. What I normally carry fits well in the saddlebags, leaving the trunk to stash my helmet and jacket when I stop. The cubbies elsewhere are nice but I haven't found a use for them yet (yet) outside of holding and charging my phone.

I have the Transcontinental model, so features are vast. I haven't use the CB yet (I have along trip coming up), but I've taken in most of the other audio options. It's easier to list what doesn't come with the bike than what does come with the bike, which is saying something.

This is also my first bike with heated seats and grips. And you can set the levels for High/Medium/Low heat in the infotainment system. I also got the accessory headed grips for the passenger. My son loves them.

Generally, I'm getting about 35-37 mpg in the city, and 44-47 mpg on the highway.

One year warranty, four additional years extended warranty.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

Does the engine put off heat? Yes. Is it enough to be a real bother? No. I've found it's most noticeable when I've been on the highway, then I have to stop and wait for several minutes. It's not going to burn your leg off, but it will warm you up a bit on cool days. Also, this heat can be mitigated a great deal by opening the vents just forward of the floorboards to let air in by your legs.

My biggest gripes are with some of the niggles with the Infotainment System. These are documented ad nauseam elsewhere on the forums, so I won't go into too much detail. The voice prompts on the GPS can't be adjusted (the voice breaks in too often for my taste). Importing a route is needlessly complex. Routes are limited to 5 waypoints. The Pandora control isn't stable and breaks randomly (viva la Bluetooth). Despite these niggles, it is quite functional. An update should be available "Any Day Now
TM
".

My bike does get a bit of transmission whine from time to time, though it seems to be lessening a bit as time goes on.

The throttle can be a bit twitchy. It's a throttle-by-wire system, and there are times when I feel I may have let off just a tiny bit only to have the engine down-rev more than expected. It has taken some getting used to.

SUMMARY

I've gotten into the habit of telling folks that this is the bike I was waiting for. I really like this bike, and I find myself trying to come up with excuses to get out on it. It is fantastic for what it is, and I'm very glad I made the upgrade.""""""""""

And yet another one of the new members who is suppose to be picking up his brand spanking new Red SVTC today, wrote the below after he was finally able to procure a 50 mile test ride up near his home in Ontario Canada. Personally, I think that until we hear of actual riding of the SVTC in the kind of temps you are speaking of in the desert regions where many of love to ride so we know exactly how the new Venture is gonna handle the heat - it is still up in the air.. Here is the report from the person getting his today:

I in fact did pick up my SVTC yesterday Puc...and I had the lower set of wind deflectors also installed. They work great...bring lots of air into the mid to lower section of the cockpit...and they really bathe the engine jugs in cooling air. The standards top ones, not so much, because they are so high. I recommend this second lower pair, to all owners.

I in fact did pick up my SVTC yesterday Puc...and I had the lower set of wind deflectors also installed. They work great...bring lots of air into the mid to lower section of the cockpit...and they really bathe the engine jugs in cooling air. The standards top ones, not so much, because they are so high. I recommend this second lower pair, to all owners.

Yamster,,, what "standards top ones" are you refering to? I dont recall seeing an upper set of deflectors on any of the new Ventures I have ridden.

By the way,,, WOWZY that Charlotte is gorgeous!! CONGRATS to you both!! Or should I say the three of you,, cant forget your ride partner in that congrats!!!

Just remember that a new bike in the break in period will run hotter than after the break in period.

My 2018 Star Venture has gotten cooler as it was breaking in. I now have 1,000 miles on it and it puts out no more heat then 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour did or my 2016 Harley Ultra Limited Low with twin cool did.

One thing I do find on all the air cooled engines in bikes I have had is if you run conventional oil they will run a little hotter and if you run synthetic oil they will run just a little cooler.

Do you have a WORKING navigation system? No matter what I do...Yamaha's P.O.S. Toolbox software keeps coming up on W10...as Device Not Detected. I can open a window to my USB stick..and there are all the files that my SVTC put onto it, as a Device Fingerprint. So...their software should see it, but it doesn't.

If yours is working...what did you do to get it to see your stick? BTW, what was the size of the storage on that stick...if it worked for you? 16 GB? 32 GB?

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Yamster,,, what "standards top ones" are you refering to? I dont recall seeing an upper set of deflectors on any of the new Ventures I have ridden.

By the way,,, WOWZY that Charlotte is gorgeous!! CONGRATS to you both!! Or should I say the three of you,, cant forget your ride partner in that congrats!!!

Hi Puc, the Venture comes standard with a set of Wind Deflectors just below the mirrors. Take a look at my front side shot. The lower ones, are the ones that are listed in the Options Folder and ordered by myself and installed by my dealer. The ones above that, are installed as standard equipment.

Thanks for the congrats. My wife absolutely LOVES the room and comfort of the new co-rider position. She said, ten times better than the 2008 Wing. Wow....you go, girl! Oh...combine that with the dual-zone, with private phone calls...practically has her swooning! :)

As the knight in the Raider's movie said..."You...chose wisely...". :) Yes, I did....and I can live with the paint...there's lots I can yet do, to make all of that swirl go away. Almost 7 months...just glad to finally have our ride at home!

I like the design and all the bells and whistles but air cooled?

My wife and I just made a trip to Vancouver BC with a trailer and we were stuck in the mother of all traffic jams on the #1 highway.

Very hot, constantly clutching 5 to 10 feet at a time for hours. Couldn't shut the bike off. Yes, I got the heat from the fan but can't imagine surviving the traffic jam on an air cooled v twin.

Waiting to hear stories of how this bike is in city traffic.

I have lived in the Vancouver area for 15 years and during that time have had 6 different bikes … an 85 VR, and 87 VR, an 06 RSMV, an 03 Wing, an 05 Road Star, and a 13 Victory CCT.

I can tell you from my experience being in those traffic jams many times that the air cooled Vic and the air cooled Roady felt minimally hotter than the other liquid cooled bikes. Minimally meaning not enough to be an issue.

If yours is working...what did you do to get it to see your stick? BTW, what was the size of the storage on that stick...if it worked for you? 16 GB? 32 GB?

I posted in the other thread....what size of a file is the upgrade? If less than 3GB (some will say under 4GB) use a smaller stick (like a 2GB - as long as it is 4GB or less) and format it as FAT32. It is possible that the Info-tainment system is 32 bit operating system and if that is the case "addressing" limits it to below 4GB. You can format a 16GB but the device won't recognize it because it can't "understand" it as the addressing range is outside what it can see.

I have lived in the Vancouver area for 15 years and during that time have had 6 different bikes … an 85 VR, and 87 VR, an 06 RSMV, an 03 Wing, an 05 Road Star, and a 13 Victory CCT.

I can tell you from my experience being in those traffic jams many times that the air cooled Vic and the air cooled Roady felt minimally hotter than the other liquid cooled bikes. Minimally meaning not enough to be an issue.

and Tip and I have done a fair amount of transcontinental touring with friends who were riding an air cooled V-Twin and also riding 2 up down into the 100 degree tempts of the south and can tell ya first hand that the lady passenger on the back of that great big gorgeous V-Twin got baked enough on her legs and feet while sitting in a construction zone down yonder that she swore she would never ever ever do that again... And to this very day,,, she hasn't... IMHO,, the ride experience for 1 up on an air cooled V-Twin tour is a totally different debate than that of a full out cross country tour in 2 up mode....

My wife rides with me and has no complaints about heat from our old 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour to our old 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low to the new 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental, all three bikes are V-Twin with the Victory and Yamaha being air oil cooled and the Harley being air cooled with water cooled heads around the exhaust valves.

To many people get on a motorcycle and think it should be like in their air conditioned car.

My old 1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500 was liquid cooled and it would throw off quite a bit of heat and would about cook your left foot while riding due to the heat coming off the left cylinder head.

My wife rides with me and has no complaints about heat from our old 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour to our old 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low to the new 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental, all three bikes are V-Twin with the Victory and Yamaha being air oil cooled and the Harley being air cooled with water cooled heads around the exhaust valves.

To many people get on a motorcycle and think it should be like in their air conditioned car.

My old 1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500 was liquid cooled and it would throw off quite a bit of heat and would about cook your left foot while riding due to the heat coming off the left cylinder head.

Must be west Michigan ladies aint as heat resistant as them Floridian ladies :big-grin-emoticon:

There is more to be said about that then you know, people from hot climates go up north and need a jacket while the locals are walking around with just a long sleeve shirt on.

The reverse is true when people come down south they are burning up while the locals are just enjoying the nice day it is.

I for one do not like the cold nor does my wife.

IMHO,, the ride experience for 1 up on an air cooled V-Twin tour is a totally different debate than that of a full out cross country tour in 2 up mode....

Agreed! However, I should have mentioned ... it's a rare occasion that I am out riding solo. Nina is almost always with me and I've never heard any complaints about heat from her.

My wife rides with me and has no complaints about heat from our old 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

DITTO!

I had pretty much dropped the new Venture, but thanks very much for the responses, as a result of which I will give it a test ride.

GaryK

I think you will find the 'the plane boss, the plane, the heat boss, the heat'...to be in ownership, an non issue, or at least much exaggerated.

How many of those demo riders even KNEW there were two lower warm-weather vents that should be opened as part of the manufacturer's heat management? Probably very few.

Were they opened? Were they not, on all those YouTube or comments, Demo Rides?

If you have those open for Summer riding...and open/closed for Spring/Fall/Winter...you are good to go. I also can't more highly suggest that a owner, put on those lower mid-body/waist/twin jugs wind deflectors, or cool air input towards the riders and engine, or deflection for colder riding ambient temperatures. I have run an SVTC with just the stock (upper) wind deflectors pitched in...and with my ride home...BOTH sets pitched in...and it is like a hurricane, LOL if you want it to be. Plenty of cooling air washing not only over both saddle positions,but the very engine itself. I wound't buy this bike, without them had I been given a chance to ride with, and without the lower accessory set. Just my usage suggestion. More air control wash and user direction, is better than LESS air control...and the money will be well spent.

Cheers,

I think you will find the 'the plane boss, the plane, the heat boss, the heat'...to be in ownership, an non issue, or at least much exaggerated.

How many of those demo riders even KNEW there were two lower warm-weather vents that should be opened as part of the manufacturer's heat management? Probably very few.

If you have those open for Summer riding...and open/closed for Spring/Fall/Winter...you are good to go. I also can't more highly suggest that a owner, put on those lower mid-body/waist/twin jugs wind deflectors, or cool air input towards the riders and engine, or deflection for colder riding ambient temperatures. I have run an SVTC with just the stock (upper) wind deflectors pitched in...and with my ride home...BOTH sets pitched in...and it is like a hurricane, LOL if you want it to be. Plenty of cooling air washing not only over both saddle positions,but the very engine itself. I wound't buy this bike, without them had I been given a chance to ride with, and without the lower accessory set. Just my usage suggestion. More air control wash and user direction, is better than LESS air control...and the money will be well spent.

Cheers,

Let me know what happens IF you try to put highway pegs on. Again, my concern is my legs hitting the lower wings while trying to use the highway pegs.

Thanks,

That's one of my biggest concerns with this bike.

Still on the fence.

Let me know what happens IF you try to put highway pegs on. Again, my concern is my legs hitting the lower wings while trying to use the highway pegs.

Highway pegs work great on mine I am 6"3 very comfortable on the highway

Highway pegs work great on mine I am 6"3 very comfortable on the highway

Thanks Zoey, I know the pegs will work great but do you have the lower wings on your SVTC also? If so, do the lower lower wings create a clearance issue for you legs when using the pegs?

Thanks Zoey, I know the pegs will work great but do you have the lower wings on your SVTC also? If so, do the lower lower wings create a clearance issue for you legs when using the pegs?

No do not have the lower wings my heel sits on the floor and rest of foot on pegs I don't think the lower wings would be a problem but not sure

Cheers,

Thank you for taking time to respond. There is only one situation about which I worry, and I will address that on my test ride Saturday: It can get very hot sitting in traffic on the blacktopped freeway in SoCal. I got stuck in a massive traffic jam on the 101 in the valley last year on my FJR. Couldn't even lane split. It was 113F, and my calves were roasting. Air vents don't help there.

I hope to see how the SVTC compares to the FJR. If it's worse, than I'll probably go with a Gold WIng. If it's better, than I have a problem. A good problem.

Thank you for taking time to respond. There is only one situation about which I worry, and I will address that on my test ride Saturday: It can get very hot sitting in traffic on the blacktopped freeway in SoCal. I got stuck in a massive traffic jam on the 101 in the valley last year on my FJR. Couldn't even lane split. It was 113F, and my calves were roasting. Air vents don't help there.

I hope to see how the SVTC compares to the FJR. If it's worse, than I'll probably go with a Gold WIng. If it's better, than I have a problem. A good problem.

:sign yeah that: solid truth happening right there..

Been there MANY MANY times... Fact is,, if your gonna tour the west coast or east coast,, your going to face what you describe, only the extreme tarmac heat of the west coast seperates the two... A lot of folks dont realize this but "lane splitting" in California is only allowed in multi lane situations.. Therefore,, lets say your on your way out of Tahoe on a Sunday night and headed toward Placerville - that 4 1/2 hour line of traffic can make a bike get SCREAMING hot in those 105 degree temps and NO lane splitting allowed to get the air moving across the fins. Another real burner often over looked in these types of discussions IMHO has to do with cross winds.. The air blowing cross wise thru those cooling fins on an air cooled scoot can also be a scorcher, especially for the passengers legs/feet.. I wish they would have allowed me to let the SVTC set and idle for 20 minutes next to Tweeksis out at Sturgis last year to somewhat duplicate what you are referring to Gary.. The plan was to do just that and then take temp readings with my infra red on both bikes just to put some scientific truth behind it all.. Unfortunately the factory techs would not allow it.. I still think that until that is done,, Yamaha's claim to having solved the hot air cooled big twin issue (thats what we were told at both Americade and Sturgis) is just as subjective as our debating the subject..

After owing five past Gold Wings...I can tell you...that even in stop and go, when those two side mounted fans kick in...that can, not always, but can push really hot air out of those twin rads, back at you. I have had that happen, but not on a regular basis.

Any engine no matter if it is liquid cooled or air cooled is going to radiate heat from the engine itself.

An air/oil cooled engine is going to use the engine fins to pull heat from the engine and it will use the oil cooler to pull heat from the oil.

A liquid cooled engine circulates antifreeze through the engine then to a radiator where is needs air flowing through it to cool down the coolant, if no air is flowing through the radiator the fans will kick on when the engine coolant reaches a certain temperature. This will keep the engine around 200 degrees to 220 degrees as the coolant circulates through the system and cools down in the radiator.

With the liquid cooled engine you have two sources of heat to deal with, one is the heat radiating off of the engine itself and then you have the heat coming from the radiator(s) that is being directed through the body work cowling which if their is no wind ends up around the rider as it exits from the cowling.

I live in Southwest Florida and it gets hot here, and we have high humidity to go with the heat. I have seen over 100 degree read outs on my bikes on board air temp displays, add in the humidity and it is hot period.

You are likely to be no more comfortable on a liquid cooled bike stuck in traffic than you would be on an air cooled bike stuck in the same traffic.

Then you have the maintenance issues with liquid cooling, you have maintain the cooling system, flush the radiator to replace the coolant every so many miles, you have to maintain the cooling system hoses so they don't fail and you have a water pump as well that can fail. If the ambient temps get to hot it can even overwhelm a liquid coolant system and cause the engine to over heat.

Just because an engine is liquid cooled does not mean you won't feel any engine heat. My old 1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500 would bath you in heat when stopped and the cooling fans kicked on, when you were moving it would cook your left foot from the heat radiating off the left cylinder head.

Edited by American