IGNORED

hot weather riding...helmet and clothing

mcompton1973

Well, I am amassing my gear.

I bought the LS2 Strobe in white off Ebay, it just got here.

I have my combat boots which are heavy leather, protection for the ankle etc.

Now I need to find gloves, and mesh jacket and over pants for the Summer.

I will probably switch to leather and chaps in the winter. In the summer there are times I would like to ride it to work, and my daily "uniform" if you will is a polo and shorts. So if I can wear protective gear over that, would be better than changing whole outfits probably.

I'm not a steel toe boot fan, but thats my choice and goes back a long ways. So on ward. I bought a nice pair of mid calf slip on boots, good fit but I found out after some rides I forgot the soles are leather. Its OK but with the hot pavement, sand oils etc they can be slippery at stop lights. SO I bought a pair of Bates side zip boots. Basically they are the same type of combat boot I had in the USAF. I see they do make a composite toe also. I have been looking towards some vented pants for longer trips. 2 good places to shop that I have had good service from is Jafrum and Cycle Gear, CG has brick and mortar stores all over so you can go in touch and feel products.

Great thread going here. It really is.

But I find it kind of ironic at the moment. The "hot weather" part. Only because here in New Hampshire, the weather recently has been horrible to say the least. For the past several weeks, it's been cold, and rainy. The few days it's been a high enough to ride have been on work days and by the time I get out of work, the temp has dropped enough that riding is not fun at all.

You guys have been talking about leather jackets, chaps & full coverage helmets. The only one that applies here at the moment is the full coverage helmet simply to keep warm. If you want to ride here, the other equipment you would be considering is a ski mobile 1 piece suit.

The forecast coming up this week is a little more promising. Going to get to rideable temps towards the end of the week although maybe cloudy, then back to cold again over the weekend. I think we are going to go right into summer heat when this crap passes.

So this thread will apply hopefully soon.

Dont know about how the first gens ar on shedding rain. but the second gens my experience unless its a frog choker I never really needed rain boot covers. Using the type of boots you have mentioned (combat) if you keep them polished up and use some mink oil on them they will shed water fine. I also last year started to use the "camp dry" stuff on the new boots being as they have the mesh/material sides to them instead of 100% leather sides. I use the same on my chaps. A spray or two the day before we leave and let dry.

I have to be careful with boots. It seems some of the boots I really like, the toes are to thick to fit under the shift. I've got one pair, brand new that I can't ride in the 1st Gen with.... Can't get the toe under there.
It is not difficult to adjust the clearance of the shifter to fit a bigger boot. It can be a bit of a PITA when frequently changing boot sizes. I sort of went through that when occasionally using felt packs in the winter. Eventually decided to leave just barely enough room for the rubbers and adapt my shifting style to accommodate leather boots. Basically just have to slide my foot forward a little bit before rocking back.

Lived 35 years in SW Oklahoma and now 20 years in Texas. So I know what you mean about the heat.

For what it is worth and everyone has their opinion. After being out of riding for 26 years and 59 years old many pieced of equipment had changed. I researched many sources.

Now after 9 years, 68 years old, and riding 135,000 miles (127,000 miles on my Honda VTX 1300R, 49 states, all provinces you can ride to on paved roads plus another 13,000 miles on my RSV) with 20 IBA certified rides in temps from 17F to 117F with all kinds of weather including snow and hail I have managed to remain if not comfortable at all times I at least remained in a tolerable state.

First off research shows your head is cooler with a helmet in hot sun than not. Also we must conserve our sweat so it will cool us. So yes I do wear mesh but only on local day rides. It may allow too much sweat to evaporate too quickly.

Here is what I wear on every multi day ride:

Helmet is a modular Shoei Neotec (replaced my modular HJC SynmaxII after 5 years) with a helmet liner of wicking material to help keep the liner of my helmet clean and my head dry.

Base layer is of a wicking material such as Underarmor long sleeve shirt (I like loose fit), same material for my under wear (I prefer boxer briefs), also over the calf socks as I wear tall boots.

Gloves, depends on the weather. I always carry at least three weights and usually extras in case a pair gets wet or disappears. Gore Tex is best for rain. I do have a pair of electric that I have yet to wear much and a pair of Joe Rocket battery heated that I have never worn.

Boots are SIDI Gore Tex. I would not leave home on a trip without Gore Tex boots. They breathe and mine are water proof. Yes, really.

Jacket is at present Olympia X Moto (I like the longer jacket) with plenty of vents as are my riding pants. The vents allow me to control the rate of evaporation. The more humidity the more open vents. I am considering Gore Tex outfit as my next, either Aerostich or Klim. Be sure it is large enough so you can add clothes underneath while in the mountains.

I always carry plenty of water. I use a Polar Bear 12 pack ice chest with some of the short water bottles frozen. Also you could do as the LD riders do and attach a 2 quart therm filled with ice to your passenger foot peg with a bit tube. Even then I would carry a little emergency water plus some snacks. You might get stranded in Nowhere, Ok or TX or UT. I had a blow out on the north side of the Wichitas near Saddle Mountain in August. Not really Nowhere but close enough. A two hour wait for a tow but I was hydrated and not hungry.

You can pour water down you jacket and on your head at fuel stops. I have used those "cool" scarfs with some success.

Some people buy ice for their thermos and put the rest that is in the bag inside their jacket. Put you helmet in the ice freezer outside when you stop for a while. I always carry my helmet inside if I don't put it in the freezer so it is not in the sun or disappear.

Also LD Comfort sells a shirt they tell you to soak it down then squeeze as much water as you can out of it then put it on. I tried it but did not like the process of re wetting it after about an hour. Plus when it is dry I found it extra hot. Some LD riders swear by their product.

None of the clothes is cheap but worth it.

If none of this works and you are still very uncomfortable, park the motorcycle and jump into your air conditioned car.icon6.png

Lived 35 years in SW Oklahoma and now 20 years in Texas. So I know what you mean about the heat.

For what it is worth and everyone has their opinion. After being out of riding for 26 years and 59 years old many pieced of equipment had changed. I researched many sources.

Now after 9 years, 68 years old, and riding 135,000 miles (127,000 miles on my Honda VTX 1300R, 49 states, all provinces you can ride to on paved roads plus another 13,000 miles on my RSV) with 20 IBA certified rides in temps from 17F to 117F with all kinds of weather including snow and hail I have managed to remain if not comfortable at all times I at least remained in a tolerable state.

First off research shows your head is cooler with a helmet in hot sun than not. Also we must conserve our sweat so it will cool us. So yes I do wear mesh but only on local day rides. It may allow too much sweat to evaporate too quickly.

Here is what I wear on every multi day ride:

Helmet is a modular Shoei Neotec (replaced my modular HJC SynmaxII after 5 years) with a helmet liner of wicking material to help keep the liner of my helmet clean and my head dry.

Base layer is of a wicking material such as Underarmor long sleeve shirt (I like loose fit), same material for my under wear (I prefer boxer briefs), also over the calf socks as I wear tall boots.

Gloves, depends on the weather. I always carry at least three weights and usually extras in case a pair gets wet or disappears. Gore Tex is best for rain. I do have a pair of electric that I have yet to wear much and a pair of Joe Rocket battery heated that I have never worn.

Boots are SIDI Gore Tex. I would not leave home on a trip without Gore Tex boots. They breathe and mine are water proof. Yes, really.

Jacket is at present Olympia X Moto (I like the longer jacket) with plenty of vents as are my riding pants. The vents allow me to control the rate of evaporation. The more humidity the more open vents. I am considering Gore Tex outfit as my next, either Aerostich or Klim. Be sure it is large enough so you can add clothes underneath while in the mountains.

I always carry plenty of water. I use a Polar Bear 12 pack ice chest with some of the short water bottles frozen. Also you could do as the LD riders do and attach a 2 quart therm filled with ice to your passenger foot peg with a bit tube. Even then I would carry a little emergency water plus some snacks. You might get stranded in Nowhere, Ok or TX or UT. I had a blow out on the north side of the Wichitas near Saddle Mountain in August. Not really Nowhere but close enough. A two hour wait for a tow but I was hydrated and not hungry.

You can pour water down you jacket and on your head at fuel stops. I have used those "cool" scarfs with some success.

Some people buy ice for their thermos and put the rest that is in the bag inside their jacket. Put you helmet in the ice freezer outside when you stop for a while. I always carry my helmet inside if I don't put it in the freezer so it is not in the sun or disappear.

Also LD Comfort sells a shirt they tell you to soak it down then squeeze as much water as you can out of it then put it on. I tried it but did not like the process of re wetting it after about an hour. Plus when it is dry I found it extra hot. Some LD riders swear by their product.

None of the clothes is cheap but worth it.

If none of this works and you are still very uncomfortable, park the motorcycle and jump into your air conditioned car.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/images/icons/icon6.png

I use the helmet in the freezer trick told to me by a fellow, old school IBA. I wear LD comfort shorts and long sleeve shirt, they seem to work for me. Like you I carry the helmet if not in freezer. I've yet to know the BEST way to secure the thermos on the passenger foot plate for the water bit. Any suggestions?pics?

I use the helmet in the freezer trick told to me by a fellow, old school IBA. I wear LD comfort shorts and long sleeve shirt, they seem to work for me. Like you I carry the helmet if not in freezer. I've yet to know the BEST way to secure the thermos on the passenger foot plate for the water bit. Any suggestions?pics?

I haven't tried the thermos to the foot peg or board. I have seen many attached there. I'll have to look closer for some ideas. I do know some have had a special bracket made.

OK, so here is a hot weather phenomenon that might be hard to dress for: rain with big hail! Was thinking about going for a ride this afternoon, but a narrow line of rain made me stay home instead. Good thing too! The rain clouds got much bigger and when they got to my house it absolutely poured and dumped big hailstones. A picture of a couple of typical ones is attached. I wouldn't want to be trying to ride through those! Glad that everything was parked in the garage.

zag

hail.JPG

Great thread going here. It really is.

But I find it kind of ironic at the moment. The "hot weather" part. Only because here in New Hampshire, the weather recently has been horrible to say the least. For the past several weeks, it's been cold, and rainy. The few days it's been a high enough to ride have been on work days and by the time I get out of work, the temp has dropped enough that riding is not fun at all.

You guys have been talking about leather jackets, chaps & full coverage helmets. The only one that applies here at the moment is the full coverage helmet simply to keep warm. If you want to ride here, the other equipment you would be considering is a ski mobile 1 piece suit.

The forecast coming up this week is a little more promising. Going to get to rideable temps towards the end of the week although maybe cloudy, then back to cold again over the weekend. I think we are going to go right into summer heat when this crap passes.

So this thread will apply hopefully soon.

Crazy

It was 92 here yesterday.