IGNORED

Stuck Floats

Managed to get my new tires on today. It started snowing again about the time that I finished so I decided to at least see if the bike would start because I haven't started it all winter. Well, it started just fine but then I saw the gas running out. Apparently, I have at least one stuck float. I've often seen others here post about stuck floats but in all my years of owning Ventures, first gen and second gen, this is the first time I've ever had it happen to me.

I just turned off the petcock and let it run until the gas stopped running out. It was getting too cold in the garage to mess with it today. When the weather warms up a bit, I'll try the tapping on the fuel bowls with something and try to get it unstuck. Not going to worry about it too much right now. I had already planned to pull the carbs and check the float levels this spring anyway.

The other thing, after getting the tires on and the brake calipers re-installed, I squeezed the front brake lever and there is no pressure. So I'll have to look at that also.

Neither of these are big issues but I'm getting to where I really hate working on stuff. :(

Boy a lot of that going around lately, every other thread is on leaky carbs. Wonder if there is that much difference in the gas in different parts of the country? Do you normally store with Stabil or Seafoam? I hate to say it, but I have never had to deal with that problem, I guess I have just been lucky??? Still way to much snow around here to even bother firing them up.

Craig

I had one to stick last fall on my 06 while riding. I could smell gas and stopped to see it running out. I stopped by a parts store, gave it a good dose of Seafoam and then rode it with the petcock off until it started cutting out. Then, cut the petcock back on and problem was solved. Hasn't happened again as of yet.

An old trick I have used for years when winterizing my bikes. I completely drain the carbs, and then spray WD40 in the float bowls through the drain ports. Then I remove the air box and spray WD40 through the intake ports. The WD40 won't allow the rubber components to dry out and keeps the ports from varnishing up. Then it will dissolve when gas is added. I've used this method foir years and never had any issues when firing up in the spring.

Now I will have to admit I only use this on my Vintage Bikes, because I keep my RSV ready to go at all times, because I ride her all year long.

Don, here is what I think can happen even with treated fuel.

The fuel will eventually evaporate from the carburetors and since there is no new fuel available the floats drop, lower than they do in normal operation. Then if everything isn't perfect a float can stick in the low position.

Tapping should cure it.

A cocktail of Seafoam and berrymans will usually unstick a stuck float. But for winter storage I like running a few ounces of good old Marvel Mystery Oil thru those carbs. Also it's good for the inside of the gas tank setting there all winter. Works for me.:draming:

After experiencing the same thing a couple of years ago I now fill the bike with ethanol free gas treated fuel stabilizer, ride the bike 20-30 miles to get it in the carbs then put it up for the winter. I leave the bowls full and every few weeks flip the key on to keep them full.

To unstick the previously mentioned stuck float, I ended up draining the carbs and filling them with Berryman B12. I misted the carbs with gas to keep the bike running and pull the B12 into all the circuits, let it set for a day or two then drained the bowls, flipped the key to fill with fresh gas, fired up with no more stuck float.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

They apparently weren't too bad. Saturday I turned on the fuel valve, switched the key on, and I could hear the fuel pump working. Immediately started tapping on the carbs and when the pump stopped running, it never leaked. Started bike and let it run for a while. Added a half can of Seafoam and ran it long enough to ensure that it had gotten into the carb bowls. It never did leak so obviously the float is no longer stuck.

It is also obvious that I never treated it last fall. Some of you will remember that on my last ride of the season, I lost a big chunk of rubber from the rear tire. Eileen and I were about 45 miles from home when that happened and slowly nursed it back home. I usually top of the gas tank and add a full can of Seafoam before parking it for the winter but because of the tire problem, I never did it last fall. So that explains why after all these years, I finally experience the stuck float issue.

All is good now.