IGNORED

AAFES (online) to be open to all honorably discharged vets

M61A1MECH

How do we prove? Good question, Bob. Especially after the fire many moons ago at the storage place where some of our records were lost. I would "assume", they should at least have a microfische (sp?) of our DD214's.

But from what I've read and from my friends who still use the facilities....Costco is a better choice for stereo's and TV's and such. In other words, most of my retired friends don't use the facilities near them for much anymore.

BUT, it still good to see this finally come to pass. Congress has taken so much away from us vets, especially health care, it's about time we got a little bit back.

I'm waiting....

I've been out of the service for 54 years but never got a discharge. I did of course get a DD214 when I was separated in 1963 but at that time I believe there was a 3 year committment to inactive reserves. I just called the local veterans affairs office but got a recording. Courious if anybody else never got a "Discharge "

I've been out of the service for 54 years but never got a discharge. I did of course get a DD214 when I was separated in 1963 but at that time I believe there was a 3 year committment to inactive reserves. I just called the local veterans affairs office but got a recording. Courious if anybody else never got a "Discharge "

What does your DD214 say on it? That should tell you.....active time served, total time served and type of discharge. Mine does...I served from 69-73.

It is a good place to buy Everclear for our Apple Pie making friends. They stock it (federal facility) even if your state doesn't allow it's sale . :thumbsup2:

Everclear? Oh my! Haven't seen that since I left Arizona in 1970 to go overseas. Love those Hairy Buffalo parties we used to have! Everclear was primary ingredient....

Good memories!

What does your DD214 say on it? That should tell you.....active time served, total time served and type of discharge. Mine does...I served from 69-73.

The local veterans affairs office called and was told that my DD214 was the only 'discharge' that I would get because of the inactive reserve time I was obligated to. I had 3 years active and I really do think 4 years inactive.

My 214 shows that I was separated from active and my mos was not a critical one ( message center currier ) so I wasn't called upon during the 4 years reserve.

I forget what I had to do to sign up for our account. I am retired AF and have used this service a little. As was mentioned for the most part Costco, Sams and the like may very well have cheaper prices. But the AAFES usually have "quality" type items. I mean say clothes are more in line with what say a Dillards or Belks would carry vs a Wally World. I am guessing even the Govt is seeing reduced purchasing in the exchanges as is the brick and mortar stores Wal mart, Sears and the like are loosing to amazon and other online shopping stores.

The local veterans affairs office called and was told that my DD214 was the only 'discharge' that I would get because of the inactive reserve time I was obligated to. I had 3 years active and I really do think 4 years inactive.

My 214 shows that I was separated from active and my mos was not a critical one ( message center currier ) so I wasn't called upon during the 4 years reserve.

I was four years active and three years inactive.....

I think my 214 shows "Hon" as to type of discharge... abreviation.

I was four years active and three years inactive.....

I think my 214 shows "Hon" as to type of discharge... abreviation.

I couldn't stand my own confusion so I dug my DD214 out. Believe it or not I still have my original 214 and several copies.

Item 13a "character of service" and in that area it says Honorable

So I guess I'm OK Thanks for making me look it up

I couldn't stand my own confusion so I dug my DD214 out. Believe it or not I still have my original 214 and several copies.

Item 13a "character of service" and in that area it says Honorable

So I guess I'm OK Thanks for making me look it up

Yup also because was Honorable should make you qualified for VA care should you need it and get signed up. It is getting tougher to "get in"

Yup also because was Honorable should make you qualified for VA care should you need it and get signed up. It is getting tougher to "get in"

I have 2 VA outpatient clinics within 20 minutes of me, one 20 minutes North and a second one 20 minutes South and I've been in the system for 30 or so years.

As a matter of fact, my last Dr. angered me so that I quit going and 10 years later they called me and talked me into coming back. Because of the injuries I sustained while on active duty I am considered a disabled vet.

As it stands now I just go in annually for checkups because I've been blessed with extremely good health and have no issues except my knee and that's not too bad having turned 74 last January 30th.

Are you receiving monthly disability checks, Dick? If not I strongly urge you to sign up for them! You are eligible for them and more so DESERVE them!! Be warned, it usually takes about a year for your claim to be processed, but the good news is you are paid from the date you applied, not the day it is approved!! I ended up with a check for over $12,000 when my claim was finally approved, and then when I applied for re-evaluation I got a check for over $20,000!

I've given up trying to get in. By the time I realized I really should sign up, it was real tight here in Phoenix. Even with an advocate, it seems there are too many vets more qualified than me. That's OK, though. They need and deserve it more than I.

David, never EVER think that others are more deserving of you!! You SERVED this nation, and was willing, if needed, to give your life for the freedoms that sometimes I feel others have but may not deserve these days! (No, I still believe this country is the land of the free, but when people abuse their freedoms I begin to wonder...) I don't care if you were a reservist, national guard, etc, you still were willing to serve your country regardless!!

Yes, I read that on Facebook a couple of days ago! My question being just how do we go about proving we were honorably discharged?? I am very interested in this but wonder just how the prices will compare to Wharehouse Clubs like Sam's, BJ's, and Costco...

Do you still have your DD214? I still have many copies and also my discharge certificate.

I work with a guy who saw time in Iraq and Kuwait ( I think). About 5 years ago he fell off a ladder and messed up his heel bone. He tried to use the VA hospital as he was a vet. They told him that he made too much money where he worked today for them to help him. Wtf!!!!!

I guess it's turned into an indigent care facility now.

I myself served 12 years in the GA Army National guard. Got called up for Operation Desert Shield. Never made it overseas. War ended. After 12 years of sevice I can't even get a free car tag or driver's license. I joined the American Legion several years ago. All it seems they want is more money. Nothing I've seen them do has ever made it down to us in the Reserves and Nat. Guard. I applaud all of you for your service, especially those of you who looked death in the eye and said "Not today". But just once would I like to see just a small drop of appreciation trickle down to the rest of us. I salute all those that served and are serving actively. You truly deserve all our honor and respect. It's the system that I have very little respect for.

Are you receiving monthly disability checks, Dick? If not I strongly urge you to sign up for them! You are eligible for them and more so DESERVE them!! Be warned, it usually takes about a year for your claim to be processed, but the good news is you are paid from the date you applied, not the day it is approved!! I ended up with a check for over $12,000 when my claim was finally approved, and then when I applied for re-evaluation I got a check for over $20,000!

Yeah, I get a pittance monthly check but I'm ok with the way it's working. I didn't apply for disability until 40 years after the fact, I didn't know anything was available to (for) me. And when I did start going to the VA I was penalized because I made too much money, that's part of why I quit going to them, second was the Dr. pissed me off.

my knee was so screwed up and my records were so extensive and complete that when I retired ( early ) at 62 I applied to SS for additional and was approved with a copy of my records and a phone call.

i didn't get any additional money from the VA because it was approved almost immediately, a month or so if I remember correctly. Again, I never saw a doctor at the VA for disability just a PA and my records and a fresh X-ray.

Forgot to mention, the VA already had my service records and I had 3 more surgeries outside of the VA by my orthopedic Dr. and they referenced the surgeries to the service injury.