IGNORED

A second opinion was not needed on these diaphragms.

CMCOFFEY

All 4 pictures are of different diaphragms. They all had holes. I was also only running on 2 cylinders. I can't wait to be running right.

Actually you probably werent even running on a full two - by the looks of those diaphrams - slides were probably only coming open half way or less on even the two jugs that were hittin :doh:

Right there with ya and excited for ya Coff!!! Hey,, get em up and living life like he's suppose to be --- if ya wick on em in forth of fifth gear, hit 4 grand and the clutch slips a little - do yourself a HUGE favor = back off, buy a set of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnett-Heavy-Duty-Clutch-Springs-for-Yamaha-XVZ1200-Venture-1983-1985-/391598550258?fits=Make%3AYamaha%7CModel%3AVenture&hash=item5b2d17acf2:g:x5wAAOSwzaJYBaqR&vxp=mtr

or something similar BEFORE ya slip the plates to much.. Probably safe ya a BUNCH of cash on new plates too!!

I was reading the trip report about the Canada to Mexico trip and already put a set of those springs on my amazon list.

You know how spirited I like to ride when I am out away from traffic.

Puc, what spare parts do you carry with you when traveling cross country? I need to start getting that ready so I can venture out on Genesis. Kind of like my last big trip from S. Dakota to Nevada. I made that one on dumb luck and no tail light after Utah.

Here is a video of the bike with new diaphragms. You can hear that I was only running on a few cylinders. There is no need to watch all 6 minutes, just the first few is fine. I need to find a better way to hold my phone so I can Video fun rides.

I was going to buy a set for my Venture as well. The seller that makes them in the UK has them for $99 for a full set of four and said he would go cheaper for group buy. I'll throw my hat into the ring for a group buy, I was going to get them anyway.

I could be wrong as I do not have that style clutch, But are there not 6 springs to a set?

I was reading the trip report about the Canada to Mexico trip and already put a set of those springs on my amazon list.

You know how spirited I like to ride when I am out away from traffic.

Puc, what spare parts do you carry with you when traveling cross country? I need to start getting that ready so I can venture out on Genesis. Kind of like my last big trip from S. Dakota to Nevada. I made that one on dumb luck and no tail light after Utah.

Coff, as far as extra parts, I carry a spare fuel pump and spare relays BUT - in over a million miles have only had to swap out the pump one time out in Wyoming. I did have one other pump failure but was able to make it out of the mountains in Utah by splicing a piece of gas line to the tank vent above the one way valve on the vent line and holding pressure in the tank with my mouth = worked great BUT found it a little difficult to concentrate on the fuel supply to the carbs while balancing a MK1 fully packed and a kid on the back while single tracking out of there - thats when I started carrying a spare pump. Usually its the points on the pump that fail - probably could get away with just carrying an extra set of points but I carry a complete take off pump with filter and hoses still intact - I did have a filter decide to crack and used the spare filter I had but a filter is fairly easy to replace from an auto parts store..

Listening to your bike miss sort of sounds like its starving some on the low speed jet system. How does it run if ya hit em hard? Can you feel it come alive when the slides open up and it gets up on the main jet, Suggest: Start it cold, let it idle, put some spit on your finger and spit check each header (like testing a hot iron) and see if its hitting on all four when its idling.

Could also be water in the fuel - drain the bowls in a jar - let the jar sit a minute and see if water collects. You put new plugs in it again? Maybe ya got a plug that didnt take to kindly to the carb cleaning..

I could be wrong as I do not have that style clutch, But are there not 6 springs to a set?

]

Thinking he may have been talking about the diaphrams Jeff - 4 clutch springs for $99 seems pricey :big-grin-emoticon:

Scarrrry as it sounds, I have seen worse diaphragms than those. A lot worse, and the bike still ran.

Puc, things are "warming up" out in the shed.

Gotta get some white stuff for deer hunting, makes it easier to spot them. There may be some collateral damage......................:snow::snow2:

Yeah mine ran perfect till you tryed to give it throttle lol, other wise she purred like a kitten between cracked slides, Church Diaphragms, bad Air Cut Off Diaphragms. One had a broken spring. The only time I got any popping is when I gave her too much throttle and it sounded like it was missing 3 cylinders till I would top my hill then she would straighten out. I couldn't do the diaphragms I ended up buy the OEM which was 105 a pop and 2 used ones @75 a pop.

I replaced the wires tonight and started it up. It sounded amazing compared to before when I was running on 2 cylinders. I let her idle for a few moments and then checked the pipes to see if I had all 4 cylinders back. Sadly I am only running on 3 cylinders although I am glad I only had to burn the heck out of my fingers 3 times. I checked my initial finding by putting the spark tester inline. After there was no spark I pulled the wire from both sides and checked continuity. The wire to the boot is perfect and the coil was stabbed into the right spot.

Tomorrow I will tear a little further into the bike and switch 2 coils and see if the problem follows.

I also need to get one of those little thermometer guns with the laser aiming. Probably better than using my finger tips in the exhaust.

I just checked the coil from the electrical connection with a multimeter. It was jumping all over the place, but the resistance appears to be correct. I was hoping it would test bad. Now I do have to swap coils and if the problem stays on that cylinder, I do not know where to go from there.

Hey I may be crazy, But use a spray bottle next time... @cowpuc talks about a spit test. So figure spray bottle may give you some kind of idea, If you have one with stream instead of spray. One thing I also did just to check my coils was switched the plug to another coil. like if its 3 giving you heck plug 3 to coil 4 and check for spark that is easy enuff without removing the coils and swapping them. Unless thats what ya meant. I actually took my coil connectors appart and cleaned the prongs on all of them but you have to be carefull not to rip the wires out of coil.

The problem is most likely TCI related, either you have some corrosion issues on one of the connectors or your TCI has finally bit the big one for one of the cylinders. The TCI sends a "fire" signal to each separate coil when the time is right. I'm suspecting when you swap the coils out it's going to show that the suspect coil is good, but hey, you never know...

Suspected coil is good. Still no spark on front right cylinder. I guess I need to get back to the TCI and clean the plugs again. And read up on aftermarket replacements for it.

Only one thing to say darn it for 83's for being so unique... There is the one everyone knows from ignitek and the other one I came across http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1983-1985-1989-Yamaha-XVZ12-Venture-1200-CDI-Ignitor no one has tried this one. But it being me I would go with the one that everyone uses.

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.