IGNORED

1986 Free the Venture Restoration

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so here's the latest. I got the seat stay, subframe, frame all finalized. Here's the pics.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161025_130614.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161025_130603.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161025_130632.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161025_130642.jpg

So, I'm pleased with myself thus far. I figure what better time to order new parts than right after picking up the parts I just ordered? So I head up to the stealership, figure I'll order the bolts to pop on the mufflers....Yamaha doesn't make them anymore. Okay....How about the bolts for the front fender? Nope. I then ask about possibly getting the bolts for the floorboards for the passenger? Nope. Okay I get it the Royale is 30 years old, but come on? Just a little bit of compassion? So my next step at this time is to check the lubrication on the shaft drive, the brake pads, bleed the rear brakes, check the clutch fluid, etc. I figure the bike was sitting, nothing's working, all the stuff is off of it might as well give it the rundown you know?

Now, can ANYONE reccommend to me what to do outside of and after I do this maintenance stuff? I'm trying to just tackle a little bit at a time, but being honest, baggers and tourers have a LOT more stuff to put on and a LOT more stuff there to screw up if done incorrectly. I know the progress that I've made here has been fairly insignificant, but hey, noone ever made it through life without crawling first.

For most purposes there is nothing fancy about the "official" Yamaha bolts other than the price. They are standard metric bolts, the most common being 8mm of various lengths. Just go to your local Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Fastenall etc. for bolts!

There are only a couple of specialty bolts with specific collars on them for the whole bike. If you watch ebay, every once in a while somebody is selling a whole box of bolts from a Venture...

• 2 months later...

well holidays have come and gone and I'm lost as to where to go to next, I've installed the rear inner fender, but do i mount the exhaust, i'm completely confused as to where to go to next. Help would be greatly appreciated pleased, I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Well if your planning on getting tires for the beast I would wait on mounting the mufflers at least. I am chasing a strange misfire on my bike, wonderful thing about having kids is DO NOT WORK ON WIRES while there home.:whistling: I just been tinkering on mine. O have you fired it yet? if you have might just go ahead and put the inner fairing part on. If you haven't already check your solders in the CMS. Um Order a set of cables from yamagrl. You definatly won't go wrong doing that and putting those on. Get some velcro and relocate the TCI box on top of the air box. Pull the battery box out and replace the bolts there if needed. Mine were quite corroded and rusty. Maybe update your fuse box from the glass fuses.

Here is a word doc on how to decode the Yamaha part number to determine when size and type bolt, nut, screw it is. This should help you some. Also I would attach or at least cover the carb openings with something so that a stray bolt or nut doesn't find its way into a carb and then into the cylinder and cause some damage. I also have a 1990 VR assemble manual in PDF format that is too big to attach but I could email that to you also. It was used by the dealerships to assemble the bikes when they were received from Yamaha. It isnt the same year as your 86 but for the most part it is the same bike as yours.

Good luck as you have your work cut out for you.

Rick F.

Thought this part number decoder might be useful.docx

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, but I might not be able to finish the bike. The deeper I dig, the more I find missing, the air ride system and all of it's compressors and what not are gone. So far I've spent less than 150 on it. Depending on how the tax return goes decides whether or not it stays or goes. I'm just frustrated beyond belief. I used to love this royale when I first saw it as a kid. Will post more when I know more.

Well I wouldn't give up on it just yet, just watch ebay for the parts your needing. Is the air shock still there at all? I look at ebay just about daily just for a cheap spare part here and there. I know they can be frustrating but heck you got yours free. I paid 1350 for mine because it had a fork seal leak and the headlight error. Purchase February 12th 2015. March of 2016 I sunk another 1300 into it, the rest has been cheap stuff here and there. If you have fired the bike and it runs at least you know what your end game is. Can't tell you not to give up all I can say is this Venture you loved as a kid deserves the respect you can give it.

Thanks, but I might not be able to finish the bike. The deeper I dig, the more I find missing, the air ride system and all of it's compressors and what not are gone. So far I've spent less than 150 on it. Depending on how the tax return goes decides whether or not it stays or goes. I'm just frustrated beyond belief. I used to love this royale when I first saw it as a kid. Will post more when I know more.
If your debate is "do I want a bike and can I afford it or not" then only you can decide. Nothing in life is free so if you want to ride then $150 or even $500 is pretty much as close to free as you will get, no matter what you ride.

If the engine, transmission, clutch, shocks and charging system are operational then you can make this bike workable without investing a lot of money. The air ride is not a must have. I have ridden both my 89 and 90 with no air pressure in the suspension and they worked well, even on a Costco trip. The only time pressuring up the suspension is at all necessary is when fully loaded for a trip with two up.

Take note of the several bobber threads where almost every non-essential thing has been removed.

Do not despair too quickly. :bawling: :pushups: :thumbsup2:

Trying to put your bike back to mint condition is a nightmare - for me at least. Think about going more radical. I bought my '83 after it was crashed with zero intentions to bring it back to mint condition. It does make a great custom bike, however. Mine became a chopped ratbike which is great to ride and gets lots of attention at any bike gathering. 99% of riders have zero idea of what they are looking at. Overall, it was a fun project and the bike is fast and great to ride. I just thought I might try to expand your thoughts a little bit on what you are trying to achieve.

zag

IMG_4231-small.jpgCrud Run Oct 2015.jpg

You can live quite well without the CLASS, just install Schraeder valves like the non-CLASS Ventures have...
Yes, it was only the Royale that had the CLASS.

@asher:

I have the Schrader valve fork attachment for a Standard Venture and I'm pretty sure I know where it is. :confused07:

I'll send it to you if it will help.

I am one of those with a Venture Standard, my bike (and some will say the owner) never had CLASS, just a front and rear Schrader valve to set the pressure with a small hand pump that I keep in the trunk.

The CLASS system is also well know to have electrical and air leak issues due to age, You are actually better off without all the extra weight and complexity.

• 3 months later...

Sorry it's been awhile since I last had an update, Been dealing with out of control life drama but been nickle and diming stuff for the bike where I can. I've acquired brake pads, brake fluid, gear drive fluid and I'm working on the bike hopefully tomorrow weather permitting. I'll post what photos I can.

I really hate texas sometimes especially when it comes to heat, alright not a lot done today but progress has been made. Changed out the final drive oil, all 3 brake pads, bled the brakes with fresh fluid, topped off the hydraulic clutch and reattached the exhaust pipes on both sides. Trying to figure out what to do next, debating on ordering a Royal Star rear fender and lopping off the subframe behind the pillion seat using that as a replacement. Unsure as to the fit of the fender so I'm having to pull from bobber school.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j25/ashersgcorps/20170608_173254.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j25/ashersgcorps/untitled_1.png