IGNORED

Is the Yamaha Vision a Baby Venture?

VanRiver

I've been spending too much time shopping on Kijiji (our local version of Craig's List up here in Canada) lately since the wife has been out of town....and have seen some really nice vintage motorcycles up for sale that have been tempting me! Anyway, I came across a "1982 Yamaha Vision" in very nice condition for $800 tonight. The wife would kill me if I bought another bike especially while she was away, so I decided to "look but not touch" and do some research on this "Vision XZ550" model since I had never heard of it before.

What is interesting is that according to Wikipedia, Yamaha leveraged this "Vision" model as their revolutionary bike in the late 1970's and over a 3 year design period engineers reached out to the design teams at Cosworth for the engine design, Porsche for the shaft and final drive design, and GK design associates for the body and fairing design.......which just happens to look exactly like a Baby version of our Ventures. Here is the Wikipedia info on the bike (but you can't believe everything you read on the internet): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XZ_550

Looks like mother Yamaha only built this 550cc "sport touring" bike for 2 years, 1982 and 1983. It was supposedly their first down-draft carb production bike which required them to build a high cowl over the gas tank area for the new air intake position. It is water cooled, shaft driven, and had a red line at 10,000 rpm. Sound rather familiar? I think they just glued 2 of these Vision motors together to make the MKI Venture engine! :banana:

Unfortunately, the Vision was not a big seller and was pulled after only 2 years, but I must say I like it!!! And I'm trying really hard to come up with excuses not to call the guy up and make a deal on this classic example of Yamaha motordom for my collection. Have any of you guys and gals ever owned a Yamaha Vision before? What did you think of it?

Here a few pics of example Vision's......and the other set are of the bike that is for sale......I must say I see clear styling and mechanical similarities to my Venture......That is why I think this is really a "Baby Venture", or do we have "Big Grownup Yamaha Visions"?:

Yamaha XZ 550D.jpg yamaha-xz-550-1982-4.jpg

Bike fore sale:

$_27.JPG$_27-2.JPG

I had a Vision back in the day. Bought it new. Great little bike. I had an issue with gravel on a turn, a car backing out of its driveway and a ditch. Ended poorly. I fixed the bike but couldn't get the stripe package from Yamaha so painted it all black. I liked it all black and eventually traded it in on a Trimoto. I liked it a lot. Was technologically ahead of its time I think.

I would love to have one of these it looks like I could deck it out and make it a mini version of a tourer and I'm sure a guy I know can make a more comfortable seat for this after watching dozens of motorcycle videos I am surprised that I haven't ran across this bike yet, Is this a Canadian special or did they sell in the US too.

Hi @snyper316

Yes it was sold in the USA....Actually, looks like they had a model of this bike for almost every country. In Japan they even had a smaller 400cc version too. I agree, I had never heard of this model before as well:

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 9.10.54 AM.jpg

I would love to have one of these it looks like I could deck it out and make it a mini version of a tourer and I'm sure a guy I know can make a more comfortable seat for this after watching dozens of motorcycle videos I am surprised that I haven't ran across this bike yet, Is this a Canadian special or did they sell in the US too.

Hi snyper316

Yes it was sold in the USA....Actually, looks like they had a model of this bike for almost every country. In Japan they even had a smaller 400cc version too. I agree, I had never heard of this model before as well:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107060[/ATTACH]

Yeh I did search on them in craigslist and didn't find one in my area but I think if I can get one cheap enuff I think I may be allowed to buy one.... because I have indeed found sissy bar and saddlebags for these and I think it would be neat to own the 83 Vision and the 83 Venture and have them parked beside each other in the garage and like us the Vision has its own group to found one where they had article saying that the bike was a lemon due to the bad noises it made because of the starter clutch where ppl actually gave them away because they thought the bottom ends were going out.... and I am sitting here and thinking where the heck was I :rotf:

I bought mine as a leftover. I believe it was about '84 and the bike was an '82. Don't hold me to exact years. Dealer told me it was originally a naked bike and the fairing was supplied by Yamaha and added at the dealership to make it more appealing. Must have worked because I never payed any attention to it sitting there naked. The vents in the fairing were designed to bring in hot or cold air by switching a damper position. First cold morning both of the damper adjusters broke. Yamaha had no replacements so I made pieces and fixed them myself. I believe the handlebars, a clip on style, were also changed when the fairing was added. I got both sets when I bought it. I added soft bags and found it nimble, comfortable and reliable. Other than putting it in the ditch I never had any problem with it. I always felt the wheels were odd and didn't look right on the bike. The pic is not mine but it is the same bike and color as mine was. At the time it never occurred to me it could be a small Venture and was not advertised as such.

xz550.jpg

Or you could buy the 2010 updated model sold by Honda, the Honda NT700V.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/honda/2010-honda-nt700v-ar79405/picture321716.html

Umm [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] and more [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] I will not can not even look at that twice there is only two bikes from honda I like and my friend is driving it too and from work and thats the Rebel it looks kinda neat I would love to just straight pipes on it and move the pegs forward. Then there is the shadow...

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

bought a naked grey 82 as my wife's first real bike. charging issues yes loose starter gear to flywheel bolts made noise till replaced and staked. Spark plugs are a "royale" pain to get in and out. that front fork sure looks weird but worked alright. Then bought a full red 83? fairing set off ebay painted the rest of the bike to match, rolled it out of the garage into the sunlight, went to get my camera and when I got back it had rolled off the side stand and cracked the fairing, mirror and left lower. Was I pissed! She liked the bike after I got it sorted. I think I saw it on craigslist about 4 more times over several more years made a great "first bike" I guess. Styling might a have been little ahead of it's time.

Oh I like the Honda NX700, on paper anyways.

vision 003.jpg

if the fairing was different maybe it just seems they trying to make them look like something I still cannot place. Im trying to remember the name of that odd looking car I believe there made by pontiac im wanting to say aztech anyways some ppl love the look some ppl despised it I have never really cared for the way honda did up there fairings and kawasaki had sharp curves but I believe to sharp the venture on the other hand I like the look of Both Gens and this vision even tho it has a very odd placement for the turn signals I think it looks kind of neat and if it got to be too much of a bother Im sure I could figure out a way to get them mounted into the fairing for a Different Kind of look.. Now this 83 Kawasaki dont look to bad and almost looks just like the vision Kawasaki Z1100GP 83  3.jpg

Umm [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] and more [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] [emoji90] I will not can not even look at that twice there is only two bikes from honda I like and my friend is driving it too and from work and thats the Rebel it looks kinda neat I would love to just straight pipes on it and move the pegs forward. Then there is the shadow...

You prefer the cruiser style I suppose. I decided back when I had a 1983 750 Yamaha Virago that I didn't want any more vibrating, underpowered V twin bikes. Give me a smooth powerful four cylinder bike please.

You prefer the cruiser style I suppose. I decided back when I had a 1983 750 Yamaha Virago that I didn't want any more vibrating, underpowered V twin bikes. Give me a smooth powerful four cylinder bike please.

I don't know if it's normal but I noticed that on Shorty she is a 250 Rebel she vibrates and I prefer the Venture because it it is smooth and more enjoyable plus if I need to I can get the hell outta the way in a hurry. I just like the look of the other bikes.

As I have said before Marie is the first Road bike I have owned.. Shorty I bought for $850 road it couple times but I don't like peg placement for one and the other is the vibes. But is still fun to ride around town specially when making short quick trips, running errands and such.

if the fairing was different maybe it just seems they trying to make them look like something I still cannot place. Im trying to remember the name of that odd looking car I believe there made by pontiac im wanting to say aztech anyways some ppl love the look some ppl despised it I have never really cared for the way honda did up there fairings and kawasaki had sharp curves but I believe to sharp the venture on the other hand I like the look of Both Gens and this vision even tho it has a very odd placement for the turn signals I think it looks kind of neat and if it got to be too much of a bother Im sure I could figure out a way to get them mounted into the fairing for a Different Kind of look.. Now this 83 Kawasaki dont look to bad and almost looks just like the vision [ATTACH=CONFIG]107065[/ATTACH]

You many notice that the Kawasaki has a disc brake on the rear instead of the drum brake on the Yamaha. It also has an oil cooler. My 85 ZN700 has a rear disc brake. The Honda Nighthawk of that year had a drum brake. Kawasaki went the extra distance to make a better bike.

if the fairing was different maybe it just seems they trying to make them look like something I still cannot place. Im trying to remember the name of that odd looking car I believe there made by pontiac im wanting to say aztech anyways some ppl love the look some ppl despised it I have never really cared for the way honda did up there fairings and kawasaki had sharp curves but I believe to sharp the venture on the other hand I like the look of Both Gens and this vision even tho it has a very odd placement for the turn signals I think it looks kind of neat and if it got to be too much of a bother Im sure I could figure out a way to get them mounted into the fairing for a Different Kind of look.. Now this 83 Kawasaki dont look to bad and almost looks just like the vision [ATTACH=CONFIG]107065[/ATTACH]

I bought one of these as a leftover in '84. Great bike, advertised at the time as the fastest off the showroom floor motorcycle. Sub 11 second 1/4s, top speed 150mph. Wish I still had it.