IGNORED

A couple noob questions RE used bike values and Royal vs Venture

Check the brake rotors close, at 9k there will next to zero wear, at 109K there will be a lot more wear. 109K will also show wear on hand grips, seat, foot pegs, and rubber shifter pad.

Many do not understand how the linked brakes work, and if you get air in the system they can be tricky to bleed resulting in a soft peddle. All of the brakes hold up surprisingly well for a bike this heavy. The factory brakes are a bit anemic to begin with, changing out to all EBC HH pads helps a lot.

Good luck

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do exactly that. He texted me pics of the bike. If its at 109 it has been remarkably well cared for. It looks exceptionally clean in the pics but an extra 100k would have to be cocnsidered. I hope it presents in person as it does in the pics. I will carefully inspect these areas and see, it shouldnt be hard to spot the difference in wear between 9 and 109.

I looked for a thread and might have missed it but if anyone has a Venture specific pre-purchase inspection link or thread I would love a link, otherwise I'm sure I can get by on my experience although im now to all the electronics. My last touring bike was a KLR650.

Thanks very much! Not sure if you guys know how much this all helps but its appreciated greatly.

Many do not understand how the linked brakes work, and if you get air in the system they can be tricky to bleed resulting in a soft peddle. All of the brakes hold up surprisingly well for a bike this heavy. The factory brakes are a bit anemic to begin with, changing out to all EBC HH pads helps a lot.
Quite so. When I bought my 89 I got $500 off because there was virtually no brake pedal action but the right front brake worked fine. After a 15 minute bleed job all brakes were working perfectly.

Quite so. When I bought my 89 I got $500 off because there was virtually no brake pedal action but the right front brake worked fine. After a 15 minute bleed job all brakes were working perfectly.

I will probably do brake work over the winter, EBC pads, SS lines and a delink. If they work as they should I'll get through the season on them. If there is any brake problem I think $500 is a good discount to start with, thats assuming that I want to ride it home 6 hours with a brake issue. I have been reading what things cost what to fix to help make an offer after I see/ride it.

What I'm not sure of is how the value will be affected if the bike actually has 109k instead of just 9k. If it's really 9k and as clean as the pics look I'll give him his asking price of $2000 as in my perception that would be an excellent price. I could probably use input on what a fair offer might be for this bike if it's clean and has 109k? I can use that info to arrive at a fair base offer and go from there if I see areas that need work.

Sitting here in Sioux City. Shes defiantly 109 and not 9k. Bike needing TLC, not as cosmetically clean as the pics indicated. Some cracked plastics and broken side vents/dash pieces on the right, i could smell it running rich when I was driving behind him and I got it to pop throuth the intake a couple times, maybe a synch but maybe carb rebuild/ float level adjust. i hear the v4 lope but also sounds pretty agricultural so guessing valves need adjustment. There is no service history. Its been down but the damage is minimal, plenty of scratches. Tires not great, Class system displays E-4 but I read about the fix, brakes are soft, rear brakes mostly ineffective. It rode ok, forks pretty bouncy. This is the first venture I have ever actually riden and I cant believe how light and flickable it is for a full dresser, I expected it to be a pig. if there were any doubt about the Venture being the right machine that doubt is long gone. Im thinking I may have to pass but interested in thoughts or what you guys might pay for such a machine. Im afraid I would have to lowball or pass. Thanks for tolerating my relentlessly beating this thread into the ground.

Ouch. My useful comments are limited my g1 ownership was in the distant past.

Stop ignore the trip and money expended it doesn't matter. IS this a bike you want to own? If not walk away. If you can honestly say yeah I want a fixer upper with several obvious problems and some not so obvious. then you gotta decide what it's worth. From your description you are a lot closer to 1K than 2K If the miles are a lie then the owner is not to be believed about anything else and that is hard to work from. Good luck and keep posting! Keep in mind there are better fish than that one in the sea. One more thing, check the bottom left of the gas tank for bubbles or rot.

I think you guys are right, ill have to pass on this one as my gut agrees. Im lucky enouh to have an awesome wife so its a fun drive, Sometimes we do this sort of thing for no reason at all.

In the sellers defense I believe he did his best to represent it, actually find the guy likable but hes not a tech type and I think he was surprised when I pointed out all the issues. A good couple days anyway but coming back empty handed. Another poped up local to me so ill have a look when I get home.

Now after riding one I simply must have one, no wonder these things have such a following!

Thanks for the wisdom and guidance! Its a huge help.

Wow the bike sure did look nice in pictures but sounds to me like $400 bike and i dont want to sound mean but i just thru 1500 into mine this year between carbs starter fork seals and TCI Box still need to fix that Harley Leak.. Sorry yall i do love the rumble of them but they do like to spit oil...

I think you guys are right, ill have to pass on this one as my gut agrees. Im lucky enouh to have an awesome wife so its a fun drive, Sometimes we do this sort of thing for no reason at all.

In the sellers defense I believe he did his best to represent it, actually find the guy likable but hes not a tech type and I think he was surprised when I pointed out all the issues. A good couple days anyway but coming back empty handed. Another poped up local to me so ill have a look when I get home.

Now after riding one I simply must have one, no wonder these things have such a following!

Thanks for the wisdom and guidance! Its a huge help.

Ok i gotta know Do you all take midnite runs to places like White Castle.... or for no reason at all fill up the tank and go to the gas station like me i lived in Gerald MO and i would go Via Kansas City Tulsa Ok Desmoine Iowa and the head back home....

Wow the bike sure did look nice in pictures but sounds to me like $400 bike and i dont want to sound mean but i just thru 1500 into mine this year between carbs starter fork seals and TCI Box still need to fix that Harley Leak.. Sorry yall i do love the rumble of them but they do like to spit oil...
Heck, I've got over 5K into the motor alone, maybe closer to 6K. Add another 2K into everything else plus the 2.7K I paid for the bike with 8K miles...

Heck, I've got over 5K into the motor alone, maybe closer to 6K. Add another 2K into everything else plus the 2.7K I paid for the bike with 8K miles...

Hey Im not in anyways complaining I love my Bike and plan to keep her running as long as I can... yeh the 83s got there problems but hey dont we all...

Yup! I'm gonna end up with a VMax'ified brand new everything 1st gen!! Next expense, over 1K for fuel injection...

I talked you into that one huh..................mo%20money.gif

Can that be done on our bikes

Yes it can, if your pockets are deep enough.

Can that be done on our bikes

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Yup, and it has been done more than once! The 1200 VMax heads bolt directly up to both the 1200 and 1300 engines except you have to either cut down the little engine side covers or use VMax ones. The V Boost can be installed as well with a little McGuiver'ing and just a slight hammer tweak to one part of the frame for clearance.

For me it started out a couple of years ago getting a pretty good deal on a pair of VMax heads and doing a little "research" on thicker valve springs and buying a set from PCW Racing in Schenectady NY One thing lead to another and after talking to John at PCW along with the springs I went with their racing cams, oversize pistons and a few other things. I ended up getting a very good deal on a 1300 engine complete with carbs, etc to replace my low mileage (18k) 1200 engine. In the mean time I was made aware of this "kit" that bolts into the existing carbs via where the sliders/diaphragms go that converts it into fuel injection which is my next "Venture" as soon as I finally pick up my engine from PCW.

There are times I think I am crazy, and other times I know I have rocks in my head, for spending all this money on a bike I would be hard pressed to sell for $2500, I will NEVER get my money back, but I love the bike that much!! It's like the guy that back in the '60s bought a used tired out '56 Chevy that he still owns but meanwhile 3 engines later and a ton of aftermarket stuff has one of the meanest street rods in the nation...

Nah maybe later but I had mine on Craigslist for 3500 and guy called me about it I actually forgot about putting it there wasn't really interested in selling it was a curiously thing after seeing forums lol

Edited by snyper316

I found one on Craigslist at a dealer in Arkansas for 1500 there is actually a couple in Arkansas for 1500 believe the one private parties is an 84 and he lowered his price to 1000... then Im not quite sure about this trike if its converted but guy has it listed for 2500 carbs need cleaned

http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/5695750712.html

Edited by snyper316

Heading home from Sioux City, passed on the bike. We just stopped in Mitchell for a steak sandwich and damn if we didnt see a blue mk2 sitting outside a small motorsports shop. Very nice 69k maintained with service Hx. They want 2800. I said my number and hes 100 higher. Going to ride it after I eat. It even has the oem headsets still in the plastic. Maybe. Ot coming home empty handed after all...

Does service history show a very recent valve adjustment. if not it is due, price reduction.

Look real close at the half moons of the valve cover gaskets, and cracking and it is most likely ready for valve adj.

Look close at the boots that connect the carbs to the heads for cracking, There is a steel liner so the cracking is mostly cosmetic but small shop might not know that.

Check all rubber hoses for cracking.

Check date code on tires, regardless of how much thread they have they must be replaced at 6 years old.

Apply all of the things on the list to look for to this new possibility.

Might all get you closer on price.

Make sure he knows you traveled all the way there to buy a bike and are ready to make deal RIGHT NOW. You are from another state and will not be back later for more talking if the deal does not happen today.

Ok, I just got home with a sexy blue 89 Venture Royal. I rode it home from Mitchell. It has 69k, valve adjust and major service done 4k ago. One owner since new, this shop sold it to him new and the guy I bought it from is the guy that put it together when it was new. It was a consignment. He wanted 2800, I said "oh no, no matter what it's worth 2000 is at the top of my range, besides it's a 30 year old bike." He said 2100 and I said 2050 out the door so I have gas money. So I paid 2050, brakes and clutch just flushed, coolant flushed, oil and final drive just changed all 4k ago. Tires two years old. EVERYTHING works, it includes all the factory headsets and doodads, even come with a bike cover and OEM tools/owners manual. This is the condition I was hoping the one in Sioux City was. On the way home I did notice a couple things that will need attention. Finding it was a total accident, had no idea it was there, just spotted it while stopping for lunch on the way home. Not sure how much of a perk it is but it has a trailer hitch to.

1. Forks need rebuilt, they are weeping so before I even ride it again it's getting OEM seals, dust covers and progressive springs, probably a better brace.

2. At highway speeds its twitchy and nervous, not very smooth or stable, if I look down through the fairing hole at the fork tubes I can see them vibrating back and forth ever so slightly, that with the really vague parking lot/low speed feel tells me the head bearings are probably quite loose, so clean, grease and adjust.

3. I hear a tictictictictic somewhere in the front behind the fairing, consistent with road speed rather than engine speed and starts up at around 35mph, no idea what it is, speedo is steady and accurate.

4. MPG was around 25mpg at 80-ish, it seems pretty low, but running well and has decent power. I learned quite a bit about the CV carbs with the Vmax so I'll try synch and inspect diaphragms and see how that looks.

5. at highway speeds it has a sort of a howl. It disappears if the bike is perfectly upright, but reappears in a corner, or even if I lean to compensate for a crosswind. It sounded like it was coming from up front but I think it might be from the rear wheel area, maybe wheel bearings? Final drive?

I did some searching and will do some more, try to find the best sources for parts and ideas on what these things might be. Overall its fantastic on the road, not sure why I didnt pick one of these up decades ago, it's a brilliant machine.

Edited by CaseyJ955