IGNORED

No bike now....what to do....

Freebird

Not trying to :stirthepot: or nothing like that but I remember not to long ago that real hardcore bikers like us never even gave a thought about to much heat and all that stuff.. A few years ago it was actually kind of cool to be running around with a wet grease rag wrapped around our burned leg knowing full well that when the owy under the grease rag healed up we were gonna have a really cool alligator skin looking scab to show off.

Speaking about trying to figure out the maturing process that each of us seem to be going thru:scared:,, my neighbor just stopped down and asked if I would be willing to lead a motorcycle tent camping expedition up into the UP of Michigan.. Said Tip and I could ride his 2012 Limited even though I didnt buy it from him :rotfl:, his wife could ride her new Tri-Glide and he would ride his new Sporty.. First time they ever showed interest in actually sleeping in a tent - I always thought they thought we were a little "off" for doing so.. Other neighbor looked at me, shook his head and said THIS I GOTTA SEE!! We started making the list of things they would need to carry,,,, got to the part about bug spray needed to keep the hoards of skeeters, black flys and No-see-ems off our backs while setting up the tents and the whole plan went right out the window.... The skeeters would never of even came up back a few years ago... :backinmyday:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just did enough research that I now understand the heat problem. It is NOT water cooled in the way that we all expect. Only the heads are water cooled, they cylinders are just air cooled and that is where the heat is coming from. Same issue with the Harley. Some think that the new Harley is water cooled but it's not and even the head is not water cooled. There is just an area around the exhaust valve that is water cooled on the Harley. I discussed that with the dealer where I bought my Road Glide and he told me that if people traded up to the new one for the reasons of reduced heat, they were going to be very disappointed. He said that it allowed Harley to increase performance a bit but it runs just as hot. So....even though I think that Voyager is a great looking bike....it is off my list.

Wow! Now thats some good info right there. I already knew about the Harley situation, but I would've bet strong money that Kawi would've completely water cooled their bike. One of the main things i love about my RSTD, and I'm sure it's the same on the Ventures, is; we have never felt overly hot on our bike. And we have ridden in some smoking hot temps down here in the south. We got stuck in Branson, Missouri traffic on a 100 degree day, walking speed for about an hour. My clutch hand was worn out, but the bike never got hot. We were hot from the sun beating down on us, but no heat to speak of coming up from the bike.

Not trying to :stirthepot: or nothing like that but I remember not to long ago that real hardcore bikers like us never even gave a thought about to much heat and all that stuff.. A few years ago it was actually kind of cool to be running around with a wet grease rag wrapped around our burned leg knowing full well that when the owy under the grease rag healed up we were gonna have a really cool alligator skin looking scab to show off.

:backinmyday:

Pucster, The way I see it is we have 2 things working here:

1. As we get older, the ol "hardcore" becomes a tad "softcore". LOL.

2. Us humans, once we experience something better, we have a tendency to not wanna go backerds.

Heck, I remember for years I drove a 66 Ford pickup that had a vinyl bench seat, with a standard shift 3 on the tree transmission, no a/c, only wing vents to blow the hot air in from outside, AM only radio that crackled and barely worked, no power steering. Burned more oil than gas. And I didn't think twice about it. That was back when I was "hardcore". Now I drive a 2014 4X4 F150 Crew Cab that is automatically climate controlled. Heated and air conditioned leather seats, Bluetooth phone and music, SiriusXM satellite radio, 10 cupholders, 6 speed automatic transmission, power sunroof, dual power seats with memery settings, etc, etc, etc. And I am very proudly "softcore" now. LOL. Would'nt go back to the hardcore days fer nuttin.

So, yes, I want full water cooled on my bike. Because now that I'm a softy, a buncha heat coming up from my bike might give me a stroke or something. LOL.

Speaking of heat, I think that when it's so hot outside (100+), one tends not to notice so much the heat from the engine because you're already so danged hot and the air around you is so hot ya can't tell if it's from the engine or otherwise and since you're so danged hot it makes no difference anymore ... it's just plain HOT!

I remember last summer down in Yreka, CA the temps were pushing 110 .... I barely noticed engine heat. Around these parts when the temps rarely get over 80 ... I can feel the engine heat in stop/go traffic albeit not enough to be bothersome.

I have always LOVED the looks of the new Voyager - that fairing has a certain style that appeals to me.. Have heard stories of them being leg toasters too.. Racking my brain here and maybe wrong about this but it seems like @Barrycuda may have had one:think:... Perhaps the bagger Voyager (Vaquero) would be cooler running...

Wait a second here,,, didnt Kawi make some changes to the later models concerning the heat - seems like I read somewhere about an upgrade or something... :scratchchin:

Talking about new bikes here,,, I just noticed that its almost midnight,,, gotta scoot over to @The Tooch 's new bike page and give em a hard time!! He said "I WILL POST PICS ON FRIDAY" and in 17 minutes it will be Friday!!! :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::crackup::crackup::doh:

Pucster, and the gang,

I test rode 2 different Vulcan voyagers, one in Brooksville where the I was the ONLY test rider this gorgeous bike had after being a demo bike for 4-6 months and once afterwards in Tampa. Both will fry your right leg like a hibachi in little time. Honestly, I am disappointed in Kawi doing a disservice to the brand and model. My 2000 Vulcan 1500, up until recently has been nothing short of a baller. Bulletproof and maintainence free. New battery and starter brushes. That's it, after 16 years!! Reviews and forum from the voyager state radio and antenna issues, the trunk hatches were flimsy compare to Ultra classic( reviews and my own visual inspection) and the back speakers are extra and not standard. The "fix" from mother K was to install a KAWS type of plastic cowls system to vent the heat away. Owners balked on that 2 reasons: first, it never totally disappeared the heat and it made riders uncomfortable and 2, it wasn't something Kawi did as a free service or recall. The parts were close to 3 or 4 hundred dollars plus install. IMHO, I am saddened by the cheap, fast, overlooked, under thoughts of mother K to put a bike together that has capabilities of getting a foot In the touring market but shot themselves in the foot, and then shot the other foot to see if it would hurt any less. Kawi generally makes excellent bikes. Motors and trannies are right up there with reliability and low maintainence like your ventures and my GW and the Vstroms, although a different animal.

they took a chance, why I don't know and it back fired. These bikes are selling cheap with some wiggle room. Not a good buy for southern state riders where the temps start frying your leg from March-October. Had they changed those issues and stepped up, my thinking would be you would see a heck of a lot more Voyagers around. Great look, clean lines, nice color schemes. What a waste...

Don,

just throwing it out there....There are PLENTY of used Wings that are a real treat and fun to ride. Low center of gravity, FI, reverse, etc. yes is not a "real" motorcycle based on thoughts from others, but it is an excellent machine on 2 wheels and these bike can keep up and at times surpass the RSV odometer dept. Just a thought. Many members on GW1800 forum have em up for sale and many have upgraded parts because there is a myth that Goldwing owners have unlimited time and money to upgrade. Just an idea...good luck either way

Edited by Barrycuda

I know that just like the RSV, there are what looks like some bargains out there. Here is one that I've found. It's a 2009 with ABS and just over 14,000 miles. Asking price is $7500.00

The early Voyagers run as hot as the Harleys, in my opinion. I had a 2010 and then moved to a 2012 or 13 with the heat fix. It was a bit better but still runs pretty warm. You can pick up the early Voyagers cheap. It seemed to me that it felt heavier to lift than the Venture. Other than that they are great bikes.

An engine produces the same amount of waste heat whether it is air cooled or water cooled. It's all a matter of how the cooling air flow is routed. Hopefully, it is routed so that it doesn't cook the rider's legs. Water cooling is much better and more consistent in its cooling for the engine but may not help the rider at all if the air flow is allowed to flow to the rider's legs.

That said, I wouldn't buy a bike that only had air cooling because of engine longevity.

I hear ya Don - some times you just have to make a change. I am getting ready to sell my RSV too - just have not been able to put near as many miles on it after moving up here to the mountains with the dirt roads, mud and snow. Way too few riding days now. I think I'm gonna just have to break down and get the old Guzzi and hack back on the road so I can ride more.

Goose

Pucster, and the gang,

I test rode 2 different Vulcan voyagers, one in Brooksville where the I was the ONLY test rider this gorgeous bike had after being a demo bike for 4-6 months and once afterwards in Tampa. Both will fry your right leg like a hibachi in little time. Honestly, I am disappointed in Kawi doing a disservice to the brand and model. My 2000 Vulcan 1500, up until recently has been nothing short of a baller. Bulletproof and maintainence free. New battery and starter brushes. That's it, after 16 years!! Reviews and forum from the voyager state radio and antenna issues, the trunk hatches were flimsy compare to Ultra classic( reviews and my own visual inspection) and the back speakers are extra and not standard. The "fix" from mother K was to install a KAWS type of plastic cowls system to vent the heat away. Owners balked on that 2 reasons: first, it never totally disappeared the heat and it made riders uncomfortable and 2, it wasn't something Kawi did as a free service or recall. The parts were close to 3 or 4 hundred dollars plus install. IMHO, I am saddened by the cheap, fast, overlooked, under thoughts of mother K to put a bike together that has capabilities of getting a foot In the touring market but shot themselves in the foot, and then shot the other foot to see if it would hurt any less. Kawi generally makes excellent bikes. Motors and trannies are right up there with reliability and low maintainence like your ventures and my GW and the Vstroms, although a different animal.

they took a chance, why I don't know and it back fired. These bikes are selling cheap with some wiggle room. Not a good buy for southern state riders where the temps start frying your leg from March-October. Had they changed those issues and stepped up, my thinking would be you would see a heck of a lot more Voyagers around. Great look, clean lines, nice color schemes. What a waste...

Don,

just throwing it out there....There are PLENTY of used Wings that are a real treat and fun to ride. Low center of gravity, FI, reverse, etc. yes is not a "real" motorcycle based on thoughts from others, but it is an excellent machine on 2 wheels and these bike can keep up and at times surpass the RSV odometer dept. Just a thought. Many members on GW1800 forum have em up for sale and many have upgraded parts because there is a myth that Goldwing owners have unlimited time and money to upgrade. Just an idea...good luck either way

Never did know about that Bar,,, seems like the older I get the dumber I get or something:think:... :lightbulb:I always thought the motorcycle equation looked something like this: 2 Wheels + motor = motorcycle, 2 + 1 wheels front or back + motor = trike, 2 + 1 to the side = a hack, 4 wheels + motor = car, 6 wheels + motor dump truck, 18 wheels + motor = way to haul all of the above at once..:big-grin-emoticon:

:scared:maybe time for another Poll in an effort to define exactly what is real motorcycle... :big-grin-emoticon:

I hear ya Don - some times you just have to make a change. I am getting ready to sell my RSV too - just have not been able to put near as many miles on it after moving up here to the mountains with the dirt roads, mud and snow. Way too few riding days now. I think I'm gonna just have to break down and get the old Guzzi and hack back on the road so I can ride more.

Goose

rock n roll Goose = ROCK N ROLL!!!:dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2: I LOVE them ol Guzzi's!!!!!!!!!!!

Pucster,

I have heard and read that Goldwings are tupperwear on 2 wheels. While not entirely wrong, and slightly amusing, I do miss some components of a "real" motorcycle. But not enough to rid of the RocNWing...

RocNWing - I LOVE THAT!!:guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

Tupperware,,,, :scratchchin:,, thats interesting? In that case,, if I had a great big gorgeous Wing like yours I would name her Tuppy (Tippy, Tuppy and Puc - kinda cool) and have a sticker made for her backside that said "long distance ride freshness and quality Guaranteed!!" :cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

If you are willing to step down to a RSTD:

This dealer is about 1.5 hrs from me. I know they have had this one for quite awhile and may be willing to deal on it.

http://www.worldofpowersports.com/bike_inv_feed/unitinfo.html?vehicle_vin=JYAVP18E37A005720#.VxU70NQrKWg

Same dealer but I have not seen this one

http://www.worldofpowersports.com/bike_inv_feed/unitinfo.html?vehicle_vin=JYAVP01E7YA000753#.VxU9stQrKWg

Last fall they had two used Ventures but I did not see them in their online inventory today

Edited by vzuden
corrected link