IGNORED

Good news and Bad news

Freebird

The good news is that after waiting for about 6 weeks, Verizon FINALLY got my DSL installed today. The bad news is that it will only work if I take my computer outside, sit it on the central air unit, run an extension cord around the house to plug the DLS modem into, and connect it directly to the telephone junction box. :(

The modem will sync out there but not when I connect it in the house. Apparently I've got some sort of problem with my internal wiring. Too many outlets or something. The thing is, we don't even use any hard wired phones in the house, only cellular, so I just have to trace out the jacks and disconnect some or just run a new cat 5 wire from the junction box outside. Maybe I'll get around to that tomorrow.

I ran into something similar myself a few years back. Seems mice and other critters like to chew on phone wire and cause dead shorts. My solution (after replacing the wires several times over a few years time) was to forget about running them under house like they were originally and running them around the house on the outside, stapled to the wall. No more problem.

The good news is that after waiting for about 6 weeks, Verizon FINALLY got my DSL installed today. The bad news is that it will only work if I take my computer outside, sit it on the central air unit, run an extension cord around the house to plug the DLS modem into, and connect it directly to the telephone junction box. :(

The modem will sync out there but not when I connect it in the house. Apparently I've got some sort of problem with my internal wiring. Too many outlets or something. The thing is, we don't even use any hard wired phones in the house, only cellular, so I just have to trace out the jacks and disconnect some or just run a new cat 5 wire from the junction box outside. Maybe I'll get around to that tomorrow.

HUH?:think:

Don, just disconnect the other wiring and run a new Cat5e cable and be done with it. Trust me, (well, maybe just a little) you'll save a lot of time and trouble. If your house is older than 10 yrs, you probably don't have twisted pair in there. You probably already know that though, don't you! Glad you don't have to sit in front of the cafe' any longer! You never told us if the aentenna thawed out yet!

Good luck,

Dan

Freebird,

Just disconnecting some jacks won't necessarily fix the problem. I deally, each jack is wired in a "home run" to the junction box where the service attaches. You probably have one or more that are daisy-chained (paralleled), which would be a problem. Unless you can isolate a specific jack and insure that none else connect to that run, it would be problematic. SO, I also say run (or have run) a NEW cable to wherever your computer's at, from the DSL j-box on the outside of the house. Anything else gets too much signal loss and or noise :( (You touched on one point...the DSL jack has to be dedicated and no other phone device is allowed on that line.)

BUT.....If y'alls DSL is anything like ours, upload will be extremely limited on speed which in and of itself is ok if you aren't sending up larger files like pictures and such ( then you can change plans...$$). Download is speed-limited as well (usually, irrespective of which plan you get). Yeah, it's better than dial-up, but not near as much as they tell you it is! I even looked at satellite, but it was slower because of all the transitions. (land to sat & back) I almost wish I had kept my cable-modem.

After 6 months, I was investigating how I could get Time-Warner out here to install Road-runner (can't). If I could get my provider to put 2-way cable I'd do that. The ONLY thing that keeps me from pushing it is that they are in the process of running fiber-optic all over the place in the county, here. When they get the fiber backbone far enough along, I'll finally get the magic d/a-modem box on the back of the house with fiber up to it (like all the NEW houses in subdivisions) and I'll be flyin. But, I digress...

You're obviously tech-savvy, so I likely haven't said anything you don't already know. I admit surprise, though at you just now getting DSL:stirthepot: :whistling:

Did you have a new number put in or Put DSL on an existing number ?If its an existing number then you maybe able to get away with putting a splitter at the junction box. Put the dsl filter for the POTS (plain ole telephone service) going into the rest of the house and the unfiltered side to your new line. You really don't need cat5 or cat5e as they are rated at 100mbps and your dsl will probably not exceed 10mbps so standard ole cat3 will work. I would be more concerned with weathering if your runnining it outside. I did do a single line in and went wireless/router/ap/dslmodem from there. Holler if you have problems

Your upload maybe worse than your old radio connection. My radio runs around 500k to 600k up. The dsl is probably gonna top out at 384k.

If its a new number then the easiest way maybe a single run straight to your DSL modem without using any of the existing wiring

Don,

Another possibility. If you only have 1 phone line for your house you will still have four wires. All POTS have 4 wires even though only two are used for your phones. The DSL can be filtered off of the main line and put onto the two unused wires and then you run that line to your DSL modem. Then no other phone jack can interfere. This is how my DSL is hooked up. The phone tech did the install for me since he had to climb the pole to replace the wires that a furry critter chewed up. He decided to hook it up right (his words). I know it is a better way than most peoples setup. Most people have to install a line filter at ever phone jack in the house.

Cheers

You did not mention DSL filters on devices in the house. Not sure which technology DSL Verizon put in for you, but here I have a daisy chain of several jacks, two 4-pair lines actually with Verizon DSL. A DSL filter is required for anything other than the DSL modem plugged into the same phone pair. Make sure you unplug all phones for a bit and try the DSL modem connection again. It may also take a bit to sync up, and the Central office end may need someone at Vierizon to kick it on. I had to call data repair desk at Verizon and they ran diagnostics and brought my circuit back up when a failure was detected for a period of time (should be auto recover, but can sometimes lock out).

Well folks, I did get it working later last night. I already have a wireless network in the house and it is still up and working. I plan to keep both services for a while until I am sure that this Verizon DSL is going to be reliable.

I bought a second wireless router for the Verizon service so now I have two wireless networks running. Both are working great now. The problem was that I couldn't get the Verizon modem to sync, which I had to get resolved before starting on the wireless part of it. I have nothing connected to ANY of the jacks. I had my land lines turned off about a year ago, we are all cellular phone in the house now. This is a new number for the DSL, dry loop service because there is no active land line. There are no other devices of any kind plugged into any of the jacks.

I found that there were three phone cables hooked up to the DSL line in the junction box coming into the house. I disconnected two of them and left only one hooked up. I ended up cutting it right inside the basement where it comes into the house and installed a jack there and connected the modem. Now there is only about 3 ft. of cable between the jack where the modem is plugged into and the box outside. It syncs up just fine now. :)

I then connected the modem to the new Wireless router so the modem and wireless router and installed in the basement and working fine. I was a bit worried about it being in the basement but the signal is very strong on the first floor as well as the bedrooms on the second floor so it looks OK at this point. If I have any problems, I'll run a new cat 5 cable from the junction box up to the first floor but it looks like it will be OK as is. I ended up buying a Linksys Wireless N MIMO router not because I think it's the best but because the price was right and it's actually working great.

With the modem and router in the basement, my speeds are fine. Test speed to test servers in Washington D.C., Dallas, TX and Los Angeles, I'm getting consistent downloads over 2800 kbps and uploads close to 800 kbps. I signed up for the 3000 kbps download package so that is pretty close. I ran these tests from the bedroom on the second floor so the router is providing a good signal through the house.

All is good right now. :)

Well folks, I did get it working later last night. I already have a wireless network in the house and it is still up and working. I plan to keep both services for a while until I am sure that this Verizon DSL is going to be reliable.

I bought a second wireless router for the Verizon service so now I have two wireless networks running. Both are working great now. The problem was that I couldn't get the Verizon modem to sync, which I had to get resolved before starting on the wireless part of it. I have nothing connected to ANY of the jacks. I had my land lines turned off about a year ago, we are all cellular phone in the house now. This is a new number for the DSL, dry loop service because there is no active land line. There are no other devices of any kind plugged into any of the jacks.

I found that there were three phone cables hooked up to the DSL line in the junction box coming into the house. I disconnected two of them and left only one hooked up. I ended up cutting it right inside the basement where it comes into the house and installed a jack there and connected the modem. Now there is only about 3 ft. of cable between the jack where the modem is plugged into and the box outside. It syncs up just fine now. :)

I then connected the modem to the new Wireless router so the modem and wireless router and installed in the basement and working fine. I was a bit worried about it being in the basement but the signal is very strong on the first floor as well as the bedrooms on the second floor so it looks OK at this point. If I have any problems, I'll run a new cat 5 cable from the junction box up to the first floor but it looks like it will be OK as is. I ended up buying a Linksys Wireless N MIMO router not because I think it's the best but because the price was right and it's actually working great.

With the modem and router in the basement, my speeds are fine. Test speed to test servers in Washington D.C., Dallas, TX and Los Angeles, I'm getting consistent downloads over 2800 kbps and uploads close to 800 kbps. I signed up for the 3000 kbps download package so that is pretty close. I ran these tests from the bedroom on the second floor so the router is providing a good signal through the house.

All is good right now. :)

I don't know about any of this,but I was going to sugest retorqueing the Dorfman bolt..:rotf: