IGNORED

new to me 86 venture royale

I just purchased a 1986 venture royale with 38k miles on it here in upstate NY its still pretty cold and snow on the ground so i have not ridden it yet other then on and off a trailer, its in beautiful shape i purchased it with the intent of doing alot of long distance riding this summer. iv been riding for several years now but never any touring (most miles have been put on a 07 suzuki boulevard M50) I currently have the bike up on my lift and am going through everything in prep to put alot of miles on it this summer, Just wondering if there are any area's I should be paying attention too. it has a set of elite 2's on it that have plenty of tread on them, but they are more then 6 years old, so i have a set of shinko 230's coming for it which i will run this season

so far im really excited about this bike i originally set out to buy a goldwing and once i found the venture it was exactly what i was looking for

thanks

Dan

Welcome to the mad house :), I think you will really enjoy the first gen 38K is nothing for them, check all the rubber and change all the fluids one of the first gen gurus can give you some more specific tips. We have several get together during the year check out the rides and rallies section and come meet up with some fellow Venture owners.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?17-Rides-and-Rallies

Clean all electrical plug connections with contact cleaner and reassemble with a "tiny" amount of dielectric grease. There are lots of them scattered everywhere. One of the most important ones is the three white wire connector on the left side coming from the stator and regulator. If that one gets corroded it will affect charging the battery which shortens its life and corrosion there will also cause heat which can burn the wires and destroy both the regulator and stator. Most of the connectors can be found behind the headlight. The hardest connectors to get to are the TCI (need to pull air box) and a ground on the left side that can only be accessed by removing the left fairing. The last one mentioned is less likely to be a problem because it is well protected so just make a note to yourself to get to it when you can. Another important one is the large ground wire coming off the negative post of the battery that goes to the starter. Spray some contact cleaner into the ignition switch and the kill switch as preventative maintenance. The kill switch can be opened and cleaned if there is a problem but otherwise an occasional squirt should help to keep it good.

It will take lots of time but probably the best thing you could do is perform every procedure in the maintenance section of the service manual. As you're working look carefully for anything worn or cracked. There is a downloadable manual in the tech section here but I think you'd be well served to acquire a paper manual. It's hard to beat being able to quickly flip around in the book.

Finding someone to work on it will be a challenge, if you break down away from home you'll be in a tight spot. Do the legwork now so you aren't stranded somewhere.

My bet is if that bike runs now it will just run and run and run. On top of the other suggestions I'd say think about splitting the brakes and keep your eyes open for a bigger front master. After I split my brakes, my rear master went but I had a parts bike dare to swap in.. for a long ride, might be good insurance to rebuild the masters and at least clear out the calipers. And grease the speedo cable. And get a 4 brush starter.. and if it hasn't been ridden regularly, you may well have some crud in the carbs, but you will know it running it. Seafoam in the fuel might help clean minor deposits. Get new spark plugs and check the wires. And if your stock tci is still working, replace the diodes (& cross your fingers, I bought the ignetek). Flush the tank and change the fuel filter too.

have been thinking about puting r1/r6 calipers on the front.... does anyone have any experience with this on a 86? anything I need to look for? what year calipers work? does anyone make a stainless steel line kit thats a direct swap?

Welcome to the best Forum on the Internet. I live in Rochester and have an 89 VR and would be happy to help or answer any questions. Pay the $12 to become a member. It is the best money you will ever spend on this beautiful bike. It is perfect for long distance travel. My phone number is in my Profile. Call if you have any questions.

One of the members here sells a stainless line kit with all necessary parts. It makes a great difference in the braking. There is also a delinking kit available for the brakes. See member "Skydoc_17" for parts. IIRC the R1/R6 are a direct swap, but I'm not sure. Some of the other members know more than I. Also do a search for "R1/R6 calipers" on this forum.

Jim

Yah! Now that Jim has introduced himself welcome aboard!! We are pretty active in the western new York area and am looking forward to riding with you this summer! Hope you have a passport so you can attend some of the Ontario events! The big one for our area is the WNY Northeast Regional Rally at the end of August at Pioneer Motorsports, Chaffee NY, hope you can make it!!!

Good for you Dan, welcome. I bought an 86 as well four years ago. Some of the electronics are fussy, but it never lets me down. Plan on riding from WV to ND this summer for a reunion. Might try and get to Freebirds maintenance day on June 11.

image.jpg

Installed r6 calipers and stainless lines on the front today... Plugged the front line at the rear master and gutted the proportioning valve... Also installed new tires today and drained the coolant as I need to fix the leak at the drain

If you are talking about the "drain" on the bottom of the radiator, that is not a drain but a bypass valve. It is a black plastic knob. The drain plug is on the bottom of the water pump which is located on the right side of the engine. I have an extra o-ring repair kit for the bypass valve if you want it. PM me for my address.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25716&stc=1&d=1232934833

Jim

Edited by Jayceesfolly

My o-ring on my bike always leaks in the Spring when I first start up the engine. After two heating and cooling cycles, it always sets up and then never leaks again. It has been doing this for three years now. Only three or four small drips.

BTW, the knob should be turned as shown in the above photo. The word "off" should be in the 2 o'clock position for normal running and "on" in that position is to bypass the thermostat and for draining the system of coolant. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, hence this note.

Jim

Edited by Jayceesfolly

But, hell, I guess this is as good a place as any.....I just scored on a barn find, pictures are on my profile, 83 yamaha venture royale 6600 miles, Mint.....just got some hd road kings and wanted to know what size I need to rejet the carbs, don't like the jetsons sound.sorry.

But, hell, I guess this is as good a place as any.....I just scored on a barn find, pictures are on my profile, 83 yamaha venture royale 6600 miles, Mint.....just got some hd road kings and wanted to know what size I need to rejet the carbs, don't like the jetsons sound.sorry.

Welcome Vj venture,

You may want to start a new thread of your own, and the First Generation tech forum is good, and the $12.00 is worth all the good info.

Looks like a good find, congrats.

If you are talking about the "drain" on the bottom of the radiator, that is not a drain but a bypass valve. It is a black plastic knob. The drain plug is on the bottom of the water pump which is located on the right side of the engine. I have an extra o-ring repair kit for the bypass valve if you want it. PM me for my address.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25716&stc=1&d=1232934833

Jim

Hypothetically, if the owner of a 1983 Venture Royale were to be a bit dim and ride around with the bypass valve turned to the wrong position... hypothetically...

Would this work like driving and old car/truck with a bad thermostat and just take forever to warm up during cold weather because it circulates water the whole time? No real harm done, just running like the engine is cold all the time or would it be something more serious?

Again, this is purely hypothetical.

Ok, I know a guy that may have done something similar to my... I mean his bike for most of the winter. :bang head: