IGNORED

Is there an easy way to drain the fuel tank?

I decided to drain the fuel tank on my 90 VR because it hasn't been run in about a year and does not look like it will be run any time soon. The fuel has been stabilized with Seafoam but not sure how long that is good for. After a quick look I'm thinking removing the hose at the petcock should work OK.

In a somewhat pathetic attempt to reduce the time spent in my not so warm shop I thought I would ask before tackling it. Since some of you have probably done this before it might speed things up. :scratchchin:

:confused24: How about possibly Syphoning out all you can to get most of it out into a storage container, then remove the tank and roll the tank upside down and pour out the remaining fuel using a funnel into same storage container.

You could use the 5-65 method... Five counties at 65 MPH........:banana: :sign just kidding:...:twing:

I drained mine via the petcock when it was full of old bad gas from a previous owner when I bought it. I just pulled the hose off of the valve. Pretty easy, but it is messy if your fuel shut-off valve is broken! I used an oil drain pan to collect most or the fuel, but some spills on the ground.

If you can just shut the fuel off (be careful, I've heard they get brittle), then you can put a new hose on that runs to a collection jug which would make the process much cleaner. Like MiCarl said, it might bet best to leave it full until you're ready to get it running again. Rust in the tank is bad. Good luck!

Easy, on first Gens !! Just take the rubber hose OFF, at the petcock, and install a length of Spare Rubber hose, into a Can. Put the petcock to the Reserve position !! Wa La, and drain into a Can !! Nothing to it.

On 2nd gens, do the same !!

I Always add a Dose of HEET before doing the drain.

I drain my tank, at least ONCE every season. ( Its a good thing to do ) If you have an old 1st gen, use a glass jug to drain into so you

can " see " what comes out. ((( You Might be surprised !! )))

I remove the gas cap, lift the bike up over my head, then invert it while holding an open umbrella in the other hand. After it stops dripping I set the bike down and let the rest air dry. I hear throwing a lit match into the tank followed by a fast get away works well too.

So, I decided to go with filling the fuel up to the absolute top... at least for the time being. If I ever get around to putting the 90 on the road again, draining the tank from the petcock does appear to be the easiest method, barring a visit from my good friend David Banner of course.

Thanks for the helpful insight and the not so helpful ones as well. :beer:

Always happy to be of hep; it were the leastest I coulda did.

So, I decided to go with filling the fuel up to the absolute top... at least for the time being. If I ever get around to putting the 90 on the road again, draining the tank from the petcock does appear to be the easiest method, barring a visit from my good friend David Banner of course.

Thanks for the helpful insight and the not so helpful ones as well. :beer:

OH MAN I cant believe someone missed the opportunity.

Easy way to drain the tank. Insert key, start bike and ride. In about 2.5 hours the tank will be empty.

Easy yes but the tow bill would be a killer.

Congrats, you came up with the easiest and the funnest solution. :thumbsup: