IGNORED

Well looky what I found in my exhaust..

KIC

So I was putting the exhaust on my 89, the last thing I needed to do after replacing the rear shock. I was playing with the exhaust and the new Road Kings I am ready to install, but wasn't going to do until later this month. I happened to look in the left exhaust pipe and I saw something that wasn't normal.

I pulled it out and it looks like I found a piece of the exhaust crossover chamber. that had to be affecting the performance of the bike.

IMG_9347.JPG IMG_9348.JPG IMG_9350.JPG IMG_9351.JPG :yikes:

I'd be like,, WHAT IN THE WILD WORLD OF EPA REGULATED DOUBLE MUFFLED MUFFLERED METRIC MOTORCYCLES IS THAT BATMAN? :scared:

Good eye KIC!!!:thumbsup::clap2::dancefool:

Looks like that was crammed in there pretty good :think:,,,, :scratchchin:,,,,:lightbulb:you dont hang out with a group of folks who ride slower bikes do you? If ya do, you should take the piece of steel - hang it from the handle bar right under the throttle and next time ya go riding with em you can point at that piece and :big-grin-emoticon: as ya wick er up and go flying by!!! :thumbsup:

It seems my little "rattle" has gone away. I am going to ride it more tomorrow and check everything out further, but... I am a happy camper and it looks like I will make the group ride on Saturday that the wife and I were looking forward to. :biker: :happy65:

So here are some clearer pictures of what I found in my exhaust pipe. Has anybody who has opened and repaired the exhaust crossover ever seen a piece that looks like this ? I have read somewhere that some guys have been able to remove a loose piece from the chamber without cutting it open. Does it look like this ?

IMG_9357.JPG IMG_9358.JPG IMG_9359.JPG IMG_9360.JPG IMG_9361.JPG :confused24:

IMG_9360.JPG

Was that a FUNNY? 'lodged in the muffler is baffling'?

It definitely is a piece from the "center divider" of the collector. But how it became small enough to become lodged in the muffler is baffling.

Some pics of the collector internals:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102574[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102575[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102576[/ATTACH]

Well I guess at some point I will switch out the collector which I might do since I have another one I can prepare for replacement ahead of time. Then I can cut the old one open and see what is going on inside.

• 3 weeks later...
It definitely is a piece from the "center divider" of the collector. But how it became small enough to become lodged in the muffler is baffling.

Some pics of the collector internals:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102574[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102575[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102576[/ATTACH]

So are all those parts really necessary for the bike to run properly ? If I cut it open, do I clean it out or fix it all up ? I know the carbs are temperamental with the air cleaner and air intake is tuned/calibrated, but is the exhaust also special in the fact that it has to have this crap in the crossover ?

I know other pieces are someway loose as it rattles when I first start it and it is cold. Don't really hear it when it is warm. :confused24:

So are all those parts really necessary for the bike to run properly ? If I cut it open, do I clean it out or fix it all up ? I know the carbs are temperamental with the air cleaner and air intake is tuned/calibrated, but is the exhaust also special in the fact that it has to have this crap in the crossover ?

I know other pieces are someway loose as it rattles when I first start it and it is cold. Don't really hear it when it is warm. :confused24:

You can open it open and remove anything that is loose or may become loose. It won't hurt the performance. May even help.

Note that there is an aftermarket "collector" that does away with the box altogether, (think Hooker header). That "header" has way less restriction than the stock system and yet rejetting seems not to be required.

I don't know that any of it's necessary. It was always my understanding that a collector would help to muffle and even out the pulses to smooth out the sound. Kinda like an anti-Harley effect.,....plus it equalizes back pressure to all cylinders so they're all running under identical conditions, assuming all other functions are synchronized.

But that's just what I've always thought.....I'm sure someone here will explain why I'm wrong....:moon:

• 4 months later...

I know I am 6 months late in replying. But I found the exact same piece lodged in the right muffler easy to get at.... from a parts bike I purchased a year ago. I thought the previous owner was trying to quiet the bike down. Now I know the center chamber internally modified itself. Learn something new after 27+ years with Ventures

Edited by jasonm.

• 3 months later...

here's a bit of a follow up from my previous post. I had my chamber replaced in the early 90's due to the rattle when rolling off the gas. Nothing had come out.... at least I can remember. Yamaha national rep. gave me parts no cost even when warranty was past. Obviously in 1991 this was their big bike competing against the GoldWing. Good reputation and service is everything. I am loyal to Yamaha. Now 70k+ later the rattle is THERE BIG time when giving it the gas. I suspect the welds are broken @internal divider or a piece is floating. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will come into the muffler after a few more rides. AS I heated the bike up when 1st noticed the rattle, it got a bit quieter rattling. Could be something expanded or wedged deeper into muffler? As stated earlier. I have a spare parts bike that already spit the piece out and hopefully quiet.

Edited by jasonm.

This is the section piece I found in the left muffler. I have tried to pull more out from the box, but wasn't able to . I am waiting to borrow my friends little scope/snake camera to go into it and check what is going on inside. I have removed several crossovers from my parts bikes and it was a real biotchy ( family version) experience and I could lay my parts bikes down on each side. Trying in on my bike has kept me scared :yikes: of trying it and trying to befriend the rattle. :usa:

IMG_9357.JPG This is the piece I removed

Yamaha collector pics 025 2.jpg

Edited by KIC

This is the section piece I found in the left muffler. I have tried to pull more out from the box, but wasn't able to . I am waiting to borrow my friends little scope/snake camera to go into it and check what is going on inside. I have removed several crossovers from my parts bikes and it was a real biotchy ( family version) experience and I could lay my parts bikes down on each side. Trying in on my bike has kept me scared :yikes: of trying it and trying to befriend the rattle..

Bill, do you want to try and raise your scoot on my lift?

That might be an option. I think if it was up in a lift the part is easier to remove since you don't have to lay on the ground or be hunched over trying to bang the POS off. It was hard enough taking the two off the 84 parts bikes and they were laying on their side(s). I an trying to establish if the spare that I have has already been stripped of the innards so I can just swap it out. Taking to my friends shop and using his little snake camera for that.

Hey, I also have a list of upcoming Full Throttle rides that you might be interested in.. Need to email it to you..

That might be an option. I think if it was up in a lift the part is easier to remove since you don't have to lay on the ground or be hunched over trying to bang the POS off. It was hard enough taking the two off the 84 parts bikes and they were laying on their side(s). I an trying to establish if the spare that I have has already been stripped of the innards so I can just swap it out. Taking to my friends shop and using his little snake camera for that.

Hey, I also have a list of upcoming Full Throttle rides that you might be interested in.. Need to email it to you..

I haven't been riding much. Spending most of my time in Phoenix area helping

Pat with her mom's house. I'm in Phoenix now......

I still have something for you from James @Van River. Carry it in truck in case we run into each other in Tucson.

October I should be free of all the travel. Hopefully.

Till then..... Hit or miss where I'll be. Lift is always at house... You can borrow any time...